PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Scully F Colchester (loan from Portsmouth) b.1999

Pages : 1 [2]

sadloserkid
12/09/2021, 4:15 PM
We had 4 League 1 players on the pitch at once during the last window (Parrott, Bazunu, MacLean and Horgan). Whatever about anything else his division can hardly be a blocker to his selection.

liamoo11
12/09/2021, 4:44 PM
We had 4 League 1 players on the pitch at once during the last window (Parrott, Bazunu, MacLean and Horgan). Whatever about anything else his division can hardly be a blocker to his selection.

Definitely swap him in for horgan who will never be of the desired standard for international level some of his passing and touches were horrible during these games.

Olé Olé
12/09/2021, 5:37 PM
Definitely swap him in for horgan who will never be of the desired standard for international level some of his passing and touches were horrible during these games.

Yeah, I think Horgan was found out against Serbia. He's had impacts in certain games for us, particularly with a little more nous when we have space in the counter. But when we were trying to take the game to Serbia he looked out of his depth and McClean was visibly frustrated a few times.

All respect to Horgan but it is about time to phase out his involvement in games. Someone that can produce or score a goal from the wide forward spot like Scully would be welcome if he can keep progressing.

Diggs246
12/09/2021, 9:19 PM
Friendly against Qatar and dead rubber against Luxembourg - good opportunity to blood him in. If he keeps this up he's likely to be in The Championship, at least, by the time our Euro 2024 campaign kicks off so it's well worth giving him an early look. And as he plays on the flank of a front three (I've also seen him on the right), he fits nicely into Kenny's favoured system - I think a Scully/Idah/Robinson line sounds very interesting - anybody else agree?

Yep. Why not particularly v Qatar.
He is only 2 years older then troy and is doing a better job then him. He may not be our saviour. But let's find out.
Who knows he could sign for burnley or Watford in the next window! Then there would be a public outcry for the lad to br involved

SkStu
12/09/2021, 11:21 PM
He’s definitely worth a look given his stats over the last year and a half. Tearing it up. However, he’s been dropped from the Lincoln team multiple times during that period of time - despite what he can do in attack.

From what I recall, he’s been dropped for not working hard enough off the ball or on transition. Habits that we can hardly afford at international level. Hasn’t happened so far this season though!

As others have said though, if Parrott and McGrath and others are there then Scully deserves a shot too. And still only 22.

irishfan86
13/09/2021, 4:41 AM
I’ve been impressed from the limited matches I’ve seen. Needs to to be given a shot in a game like Qatar at the least.

samhaydenjr
25/09/2021, 7:16 PM
Hit double figures for the season today... and it's September! https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58606292

JR89
25/09/2021, 7:58 PM
Wouldn't really be counting the league trophy goals but six goals in nine league games is better than the other league one lads that will probably get a call up. He's also got three assists too.

tetsujin1979
06/10/2021, 9:48 AM
Nominated for EFL Player of the Month for September: https://www.efl.com/news/2021/october/sky-bet-league-one-player-of-the-month-september-nominations/

samhaydenjr
04/04/2022, 2:01 AM
After a bit of a gap, got back on the scoresheet Saturday, with his thirteenth of the season: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60883655

JR89
04/04/2022, 11:31 AM
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/s...pleton-6878702

The knee injury he got before Christmas seems to be affecting him still. Hasn't been able to train regularly and got an injection into his knee recently.

Still has some decent stats in the league (9 goals and 7 assists) playing in a poor Lincoln team. They lost a few players in the summer and never replaced them.

JR89
18/04/2022, 10:40 PM
Third goal in his fifth game since the international break. His 11th league goal of the season which equals last season. Not bad going when you consider the issue with his knee and playing in a weaker team.

Coming into the last year of his contract and Lincoln might look to cash in on him in the summer. Teams could be put off with spending money on him in the summer if his knee is still an issue.

ontheotherhand
18/04/2022, 11:27 PM
Third goal in his fifth game since the international break. His 11th league goal of the season which equals last season. Not bad going when you consider the issue with his knee and playing in a weaker team.

Coming into the last year of his contract and Lincoln might look to cash in on him in the summer. Teams could be put off with spending money on him in the summer if his knee is still an issue.

Thanks for the consistent updates on multiple lower league players I don't see much of. Very helpful.

Razors left peg
19/04/2022, 5:50 PM
Scully to me is a strange one. He is on the bench quite a bit for Lincoln and hes never impressed me any time Ive seen him play, but his goals record is brilliant.

samhaydenjr
10/08/2022, 2:37 AM
First of the season for Scully, scoring Lincoln's final goal in their 3-0 win over Doncaster Rovers: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62387997

samhaydenjr
24/08/2022, 12:29 AM
Scored his second goal of the EFL Cup and third overall of the season against Barrow, also scoring his penalty in Lincoln's victorious shoot-out: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62558089

Eirambler
24/08/2022, 5:05 AM
Is still being linked to Championship teams and is in the last year of his contract at Lincoln, so might be one that moves up a division before the window closes. Scores goals and a lot of teams are looking for goalscorers.

JR89
24/08/2022, 9:32 AM
Don't think Lincoln would sell him given they'll likely be down around the bottom half of the league again this season. Will need Scullys goals and assists to avoid being drawn into a relegation battle.

Also had his injury issues last season so Championship clubs monitoring him might wait till January. Purse strings are tight with most championship clubs operating in loans and free transfers this season.

zero
02/09/2022, 12:09 PM
Scully with a deadline day move to Wigan.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/irelands-anthony-scully-ready-to-make-the-step-up-after-securing-dramatic-late-move-to-wigan-41955840.html

Demesne Lad
04/01/2023, 7:14 PM
I wonder what Scully's New Year resolution is? After 85 League 1 appearances, 25 goals and 13 assists, he moved to Wigan on 1st September last. So far in 2022/23 he has had a total of 31 minutes of Championship football, all off the bench of course.

Demesne Lad
07/01/2023, 7:45 PM
Unused sub for the away FA Cup draw at Luton. Time to look for a loan move?

tommy_c12000
07/01/2023, 7:50 PM
A competent busy player, and can make goals too. Would be a good league one signing for another club if available. Never of international standard though despite the repetitive clamoring on here for him to be included. Let’s strive to be better than 3rd division football

Demesne Lad
18/04/2023, 2:39 PM
According to Darren Witcoop (Sunday Mirror), Scully (23) is free to leave Wigan after his injury-hit season (and Wigan's impending relegation, I guess); Lincoln City keen to have him back.

pineapple stu
18/04/2023, 3:04 PM
Had forgotten about this guy actually. Four sub appearances totalling 31 minutes since moving in September. Ouchie.

Demesne Lad
08/05/2023, 1:49 PM
Starts for Wigan today, in final game of the season, v Rotherham; Kelly and Kioso on the bench for the Millers.

Demesne Lad
21/06/2023, 12:05 PM
Added to Portsmouth's summer Irish recruitment (Conor Shaughnessy, Terry Devlin) when he signed for them last week. (Portsmouth FC website).

pineapple stu
21/06/2023, 1:04 PM
How do you keep on top of all these news items btw?!

(They're very much appreciated though!)

JR89
21/06/2023, 1:30 PM
Should be a good replacement for Curtis. Bet he's regretting making that move to Wigan now. Could have waited till the summer when his contract was up and probably have gotten a better offer than Portsmouth.

Demesne Lad
21/06/2023, 3:30 PM
How do you keep on top of all these news items btw?!

(They're very much appreciated though!)

Thank you. I keep an eye on BBC Football, google some individual players, monitor some club websites - and a news aggregation service. I get so much info and enjoyment from Foot.ie that I just try to contribute something in return. As you will have gathered, I have particular sympathy for good servants of Ireland who are in the twilight of their careers.

tetsujin1979
21/06/2023, 3:35 PM
One minor suggestion, could you include links to the article where you've read the update?

Demesne Lad
21/06/2023, 3:56 PM
One minor suggestion, could you include links to the article where you've read the update?

I'll certainly try to do that. In Scully's case : Scully: A Perfect Fit - News - Portsmouth (portsmouthfc.co.uk) (https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/scully-a-perfect-fit/)

Demesne Lad
06/10/2023, 3:06 PM
Scully is probably out of action for the rest of 2023, following surgery for a meniscus tear in his knee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66940310

JR89
06/10/2023, 4:27 PM
Didn't he miss a lot of football in his final season for Lincoln with knee issues. Had to get injections and avoid training to make it through matches at one stage.

Demesne Lad
06/10/2023, 9:32 PM
Didn't he miss a lot of football in his final season for Lincoln with knee issues. Had to get injections and avoid training to make it through matches at one stage.

They tried an injection at Pompey too, but it didn't work......

Demesne Lad
07/06/2024, 10:07 AM
According to 'The News' (Portsmouth) Scully's future at Pompey, and that of N. Ireland international Gavin Whyte, are uncertain following the club's promotion to the Championship. While Whyte made 33 appearances in 2023/24, Scully made only 9 and has only 12 months left on his contract. Scully really hasn't maintained the form he showed at Lincoln City.

Eirambler
07/06/2024, 10:14 AM
A few years ago we were short enough on options that Scully doing well in League 1 made him a genuine contender for a squad place. Now, even if he gets himself injury free and back to that form, he'll be miles off a squad place because others have improved/emerged.

Demesne Lad
31/07/2024, 1:36 PM
Now told by Portsmouth that he is free to leave, although there is a year left on his contract. Scully (25) tore the meniscus in his left knee in August 2023 and - although currently fit - hasn't been able to regain the form he showed a couple of years ago. I hope he can get some game time elsewhere.

Breaking: Ex-West Ham and Lincoln man told he has no Pompey future (portsmouth.co.uk) (https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/breaking-ex-west-ham-wigan-and-lincoln-man-told-he-has-no-portsmouth-future-with-championship-kick-off-looming-4723375)

Trequartista20
31/08/2024, 6:04 AM
Has gone to League Two Colchester on loan.