PDA

View Full Version : Irish acts of the 80's/90's- where are they now ?

Pages : [1] 2

dcfcsteve
25/05/2005, 10:09 AM
Having just dusted off my copy of 'Immigrants, Emigrants and Me' to satisfy an inexplicable urge to hear '100 hundred ways to kill a love' by Power of Dreams, it made me think about whatever happened to the rash of bands that the country seemed to churn out in the late 80's and early 90's ?

Those were the days when it seemed every town in Ireland had churned out a band, yet none of them could make it in the UK. My favourite from the time was Something Happens - who were fortunate/unfortunate enough to secure Top 10 hits in 2 of Europes smallest record-buying markets ('Parachute' in Belgium and Switzerland), but got to about as far as No 41 in the UK.

'The 4 of us' made it into the UK charts, but their music was a bit individual, so didn't have the staying power.

Therewere loads of other bands though - some good (Something Happens, The 4 of us), some ok (An Emotional Fish, A House, An Tua Nua) and some were just pushing their luck (Cry Before Dawn, Cactus World News).

So where are they now.....?

The only one I know anything about is Gerry Fish (lead singer of Emotional Fish) doing the compering to 'Songs from a Room' and the odd additional musical thang.

noby
25/05/2005, 10:38 AM
The only one I know anything about is Gerry Fish (lead singer of Emotional Fish) doing the compering to 'Songs from a Room' and the odd additional musical thang.

No, that's John Kelly, from the Mystery train. Gerry Fish is in the mud bug club (or something)
Some of them have re-formed (4 of us), some have gone on to other projects.

So, were you watching Reverb lastnight?

Not a bad program, except for the annoying trying-to-be-funny "comedians" commenting on the clips

Lionel Ritchie
25/05/2005, 2:02 PM
Something Happens - who were fortunate/unfortunate enough to secure Top 10 hits in 2 of Europes smallest record-buying markets ('Parachute' in Belgium and Switzerland), but got to about as far as No 41 in the UK.

I was in the Netherlands in late 1990 and it had been a hit there too.

Dunno what the drummer's doing now but bassist Alan (Byrne is it?) is the music producer for the late late now. Ray Harman writes music for tv (theme of that Irish "prime suspect" type thing is his) and Tom Dunne is of course spinning whatever CDs NME and Q are telling him to on today fm.

I think Parachute was withdrawn as a single in the UK because desert storm kicked off in jan 91. If it wasn't withdrawn it was certainly struck from any playlists of major stations anyway so the effect was the same.

As for stopping at 41 -Microdisney did it twice in a row with 'town to town' and then 'singers hampstead home' How frustrating must that be?

Gareth
26/05/2005, 8:29 AM
Jerry Fish is touring and playing live all the time with The MudBug Club. They played Oxegen last time it was Witnness! I was going to post about the four and us and Something happens but I was beaten to it!! :)

The Stunning are the Walls? Is that right?

tiktok
26/05/2005, 8:54 AM
The Stunning are the Walls? Is that right?

Yep. Joe and Steve were the brothers in the Stunning.
Gerry did present other voices last series, which may be where the confusion is.
Nick Kelly (The Fat Lady Sings) is back touring again with a new album
as is Dave Couse (A house)

any word on Engine Alley? used to like them.

Gareth
26/05/2005, 9:46 AM
Rollerskate Skinny's second album is back on sale in Tower. Does anyone remember Bawl? Well they are mainly Pony Club now. Kerbdog are back. Playing Oxegen. Hmmm...*thinks* I will remember more older ones later.

CollegeTillIDie
28/05/2005, 8:08 AM
Can't believe ye have all forgotten the best band ever to come out of Limerick
TUESDAY BLUE ! :o

Countyman
30/05/2005, 1:15 PM
Dont forget "Fatima Mansions"...what a weird and wonderful band!

Lionel Ritchie
30/05/2005, 2:55 PM

:) they did a re-union gig about 18 months ago here in town at the warehouse.

Singer Mike Ryan still performs live under the name Bone,

Bassist Ralph Lindheim still lives and works in the Limerick area I believe (IT/Graphic design I think) and was playing bass with local country-rocker Joe Brown last time I saw him -as was guitarist

Dave Keary who has also toured with River Dance
Ray Fean has played as a session drummer for god knows who at this stage -most prolifically with Donal Lunny and River Dance.

Keyboard player Tom Jones is back in Shannon where I believe he rents, services and distributes vending machines. Rock'n'Roll!!!

CollegeTillIDie
30/05/2005, 10:46 PM
:) they did a re-union gig about 18 months ago here in town at the warehouse.

Singer Mike Ryan still performs live under the name Bone,

Bassist Ralph Lindheim still lives and works in the Limerick area I believe (IT/Graphic design I think) and was playing bass with local country-rocker Joe Brown last time I saw him -as was guitarist

Dave Keary who has also toured with River Dance
Ray Fean has played as a session drummer for god knows who at this stage -most prolifically with Donal Lunny and River Dance.

Keyboard player Tom Jones is back in Shannon where I believe he rents, services and distributes vending machines. Rock'n'Roll!!!

Thanks for the update... is Shibumi available on CD?

Lionel Ritchie
31/05/2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the update... is Shibumi available on CD?

They had a website posted at the time but I can't find it now -but yeah they'd an LP which I believe was basically Shibumi on CD with extra stuff.

Macy
31/05/2005, 10:53 AM
Dunno what the drummer's doing now but bassist Alan (Byrne is it?) is the music producer for the late late now. Ray Harman writes music for tv (theme of that Irish "prime suspect" type thing is his) and Tom Dunne is of course spinning whatever CDs NME and Q are telling him to on today fm.
They occasionally reform for gigs - done a few in Whelans anyway.

btw you missed off Tom Dunne's best work since the band split - Bill Cullen on gift grub :D

hamish
31/05/2005, 6:32 PM

Yeah Remember them CTID - what was that fantastic song they had out? Is it available anywhere?

Those Nervous Animals from Sligo had a couple of good numbers too.

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2005, 6:47 PM
Yeah Remember them CTID - what was that fantastic song they had out? Is it available anywhere?

Well sir hamish

They had a few singles released including " Love Me Simple" (my favourite one by them), and "Tunnel Vision" . There was a video for "LOve Me Simple" which featured a swinging lightbulb... don't know if there was one for Tunnel Vision or not maybe Lionel Richie can enlighten us ;)

hamish
31/05/2005, 8:32 PM
Tunnel Vision - that's the one. Lead singer had a beard, I think.

CTID - haven't forgotten that PM by the way - can remember you clearly now!! The fog that occupies the space between my ears has parted!! = for now!! :o :D

the 12 th man
31/05/2005, 8:42 PM

"my friend john" was about their biggest i think.

hamish
31/05/2005, 9:44 PM
"my friend john" was about their biggest i think.

That's it = is it available I wonder.?

What would I do without you Fooriepersons - who needs a memory??

Frank Blue
01/06/2005, 11:05 AM
What happened to The Frank & Walters? I loved Afterall.

Got the first album by the 4 of Us. Good band, but seemed to get no promotion overseas.

Reamonn is a fairly successful band in Germany fronted by Reamonn Garvey, who is Irish. Been here for years. :)

fosterdollar
01/06/2005, 11:19 AM
F&W had plenty of excellent real pop songs. Up until recently they were still doing the college tours. The 4 of us do very well in the US AFAIK.

Kickeroo
01/06/2005, 2:39 PM
Great topic.

How about Cactus World News? I have a copy of Live for Ireland on tape that has that killer live cut of "The Bridge"

I aslo had a tape of the album that had The Bridge on it, but it was lost when I wrecked a motorcycle bak in 92 or so.

Dublin12
01/06/2005, 2:53 PM
Good album that alright,Urban Beaches.Not sure what they're doing now though.Remember that Cork band out around the same time called Cypress Mine,they were good aswell or The Gorehounds from Dublin or Blue in Heaven.Better music in the country around that time compared to the drival thats doing the rounds these days :rolleyes:

the 12 th man
01/06/2005, 3:18 PM
How about Cactus World News? I have a copy of Live for Ireland on tape that has that killer live cut of "The Bridge"

I aslo had a tape of the album that had The Bridge on it, but it was lost when I wrecked a motorcycle bak in 92 or so.

i have that on vinyl .i 'll check the name of it later ,
also on L.P. :eek: have"if i die i die" by the virgin prunes

Dublin12
01/06/2005, 3:29 PM
Urban Beaches,look up :rolleyes: :D

the 12 th man
01/06/2005, 3:43 PM
Urban Beaches,look up :rolleyes: :D

:o missed that,
i think it was their only album

the 12 th man
01/06/2005, 4:49 PM
Auto da Fe

featuring robbie brennan on drums,mark megarry (ex radiators) on bass and trevor knight on keyboards ........great live band

the 12 th man
01/06/2005, 5:12 PM
...actually difficult to get good trivia, production notes etc. on those Irish bands. Heck, bar the poor enough Reverb (which for some reason finished with Johnny Cash clips lately), we don't even see most of the bands and videos any more. I mean, there's hundreds of good books teasing out every detail of any act that got into the UK top 40 (though I still thinkAltern8's plans to drop ecstacy laced mini plum puddings to poor people from a hot air balloon over Essex at Christmas is the best music story), but so little about Irish acts without scouring the place for Hot Press back issues.

reminds me of the coverage of a certain sport that we all love on here :rolleyes: .

there are indeed rakes of good stories and yarns about irish bands so who knows .............................

Lionel Ritchie
01/06/2005, 5:13 PM
Well sir hamish

They had a few singles released including " Love Me Simple" (my favourite one by them), and "Tunnel Vision" . There was a video for "LOve Me Simple" which featured a swinging lightbulb... don't know if there was one for Tunnel Vision or not maybe Lionel Richie can enlighten us ;)

I remember a video for Tunnel Vision coz they were only a four piece at the time and I remember a video that had a swinging lightbulb but dunno if it was for Love Me Simple was it in the Tunnel Vision one.

Anyone know what the lads in The Golden Horde are up to now?
My favourite Irish band ever they are.

hamish
01/06/2005, 7:43 PM
Fcuk you lot - now you have me rummaging through my old singles. Just came across some of these. Anyone remember?
Rocky Develera/Rhythm Kings: John Wayne (its a bird, its a plane, its John Wayne)
Jimmy Crowley: Aint every chap doin it but you
Jimmy McCarthy: Miles of eyes (Hate that song, bird I was going with at the time loved it - should have sent it on with her)
Stagalee: Give a little love
Bogey Boys: Death of a clown
Bogey Boys: Friday night
Hot Press/ and the Silent Knights: December 24
de Danann: Hey Jude - original single
Mamas Boys: Belfast City Boys ( some cnut stole my needle in the groove single)
The Atrix: The Moon is puce (John Borrowman is dead now??)
I have a freebie from Hotpress - remember those "bendy" records you had to put on top of another one to play them? It's a Four of us compilation including "Mary"

:o I also have Brendan Bowyer and The Royal Showband single: The Fly :o

plus my first ever single I bought: :o "Um.Um.Um.Um.Um.Um. by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders :D It would probably be called the Humming Song today.

Guess what else I found. The Communist era Polish National anthem. It's a white rectangular shaped record with a map of Poland and towns on one side and the (Polish) lyrics and sheet music on the other. :eek:

As for Stagalee above. Does anyone remember Maggie Reilly (of Moonlight Shadow fame) singing with them for a while. They did a gig here in Beeslow in the early 80s or late 70s. Tell you a story about that gig again - she has a sweet voice but is/was one tough cookie.

exiled_gufc_fan
01/06/2005, 10:08 PM
Here's another two for ya... Galway's , Toasted Heretic (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/music/Toasted+Heretic) and the very damn good Whipping Boy (http://http://www.audioscrobbler.com/music/Whipping+Boy">Whipping Boy)

Oh and we ought to get a Foot.ie chart up and running on Audioscrobbler.

noby
02/06/2005, 8:57 AM
Haven't been around in a few months but found this post too good to let pass.

I was wondering if this thread would tease you out.

For all the Cork people, what about LMNO Pelican?
I saw them support the Weddoes early/mid '90's, and I have their ep on tape. Or were they more well known for having their name written rather large on Grand Parade?

hamish
03/06/2005, 12:00 AM
Jaysus, that's eclectic. I'm struggling to remember the acts. let alone the singles you name. That Bowyer guy did the Hucklebuck, right? ;)

Let's put it like this, the first thing I got in the music world was Nik Kershaw's 'Human Racing' - think you might have a few years on me...

Cheers Conor 74 - I and my mates used to basically buy anything and everything that came into the record shops those days unless it was country n Irish so we often didn't know what the hell we were getting until it ended up on a turntable. Reason was simple, RTE radio played fcuk all new music, even by Irish rockers - in the 60s and 70s particularly so it was by word of mouth that a new band became known often or through mates who had seen them in Cork, Dublin, Belfast etc. That often gave it an extra buzz/adventure/callitwhatyou will - nowadays bands are in your face before they've even gigged or bought their first guitar so it's almost the other extreme.

During the punk boom a few mates of mine got carried away with it and decided to form their own punk band. They played the sum total of two gigs in a shed in the back of a house in St. Joseph's Place - just down the road from me, had a major fight (yep there were stitches involved, just as well Portiuncula Hospital was literally feet away) and split up. They really got the punk spirit 'cos they really bet the $h!ite out of each other - I was the poor fcuker that had to try and separate them. Musical differences!!! Kinda. The two "guitarists" (brothers) got annoyed with the drummer 'cos he wouldn't shut the fcuk up while they tried to "tune". Happy days. :D

Name of the band? Vomit. :eek: Could you get a more punk name than that!! :D :D

Must get back to that Maggie Reilly sceal (above post) later.

razor
03/06/2005, 8:02 AM
Good album that alright,Urban Beaches.Not sure what they're doing now though.Remember that Cork band out around the same time called Cypress Mine,they were good aswell or The Gorehounds from Dublin or Blue in Heaven.Better music in the country around that time compared to the drival thats doing the rounds these days :rolleyes:
Cypress Mine were excellent, a few more Cork bands of the time were Burning Embers and Belsonic Sound, God that takes me back. Anyone remember the Emperors of Ice Cream?

hamish
03/06/2005, 1:32 PM
Went into the magazine shop a few hours ago and asked the young lad behind the counter for the latest edition of Hot Press. He asked was it a girly magazine and I said, "No, it's a music magazine and has Rory Gallagher on the cover."

He said, "Oh Yeah Rory Gallagher, my dad is mad into him and some "PAIR" (his word) called Led Zeppelin."

Fcuks sake. :mad:

the 12 th man
03/06/2005, 1:55 PM
He said, "Oh Yeah Rory Gallagher, my dad is mad into him and some "PAIR" (his word) called Led Zeppelin."

Fcuks sake. :mad:

:eek: :D :D

Lionel Ritchie
03/06/2005, 2:11 PM
Cypress Mine were excellent, a few more Cork bands of the time were Burning Embers and Belsonic Sound, God that takes me back. Anyone remember the Emperors of Ice Cream?

The emperors boys went on to form Bass Oddyssey and are now back in the rock nroll fold with an excellent band called Sylvia Saint.

petecole
14/01/2010, 11:59 AM
Having just dusted off my copy of 'Immigrants, Emigrants and Me' to satisfy an inexplicable urge to hear '100 hundred ways to kill a love' by Power of Dreams, it made me think about whatever happened to the rash of bands that the country seemed to churn out in the late 80's and early 90's ?

Dublin's Power of Dreams RETURN!

Reunion tour dates:
5 March - London, The Luminaire
6 March - Birmingham, The Flapper
7 March - Guildford, The Boileroom
8 March - Oxford, Jericho
10 March - Dundalk, The Spirit Store
12 March - Dublin, Whelans
13 March - Cork, The Pavilion

Please check out/add the following pages:

http://www.myspace.com/powerofdreams
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117774751776&ref=mf
http://www.powerofdreams.ie

A 2CD limited edition of the debut album 'Immigrants, Emigrants and Me' containing all 14 original tracks plus the debut “A Little Piece of God” ep and various b-sides, will be released on 1st March 2010. Pre-order @ http://www.onehundredpercentmusic.bigcartel.com/product/power-of-dreams-20th-anniversary-double-cd-immigrants-emigrants-and-me

Cheers, Pete

dahamsta
14/01/2010, 12:12 PM
petecole, I'm only allowing that because PoD's guitar player is my brother in law and I'd like to see the Cork gig full, but be advised that if you lift a 5 year old thread or post commercial spam on Foot.ie again, you'll be our on your ear. It's just pure ignorant, period.

endabob1
14/01/2010, 12:38 PM
20 Years, Jeez that makes a man feel old, if only they'd done an 18 year anniversary release & tour I might have got to see them.
It was a cracking album, I think I still have the original on cassette, I had the cassette single of 100 ways too, I'll have to have a dig this evening to check if they survived the great tape purge of 2002.

Bit cheeky for a first post petecole but I'm glad you posted

Pauro 76
14/01/2010, 12:41 PM
Whipping Boy 'Heartworm', class album. Not sure whatever happened to them.. Kerbdog could have been huge.

dahamsta
14/01/2010, 2:41 PM
I'm actually not a fan of that album, I think the later stuff with Ian on guitar has much more presence. I'm not sure if he or the original guitar player is with them for the reunion, if he isn't I wouldn't bother going.

CF1989
14/01/2010, 2:55 PM
petecole, I'm only allowing that because PoD's guitar player is my brother in law and I'd like to see the Cork gig full, but be advised that if you lift a 5 year old thread or post commercial spam on Foot.ie again, you'll be our on your ear. It's just pure ignorant, period.

so we can post anything we want to help family? or is it one rule for us and another for someone else.

no disrespect, just a question

dahamsta
14/01/2010, 3:26 PM
No, I can make exceptions for my family, what with me paying the bills and all. That ok with you?

twoenz
14/01/2010, 8:22 PM
Jeez, since this thread started you could add the Thrills to the list of "where are they nows" and their first album was only out!

TonyD
14/01/2010, 9:15 PM
Best Irish band ever and no mention here yet ? Scandalous! I give you the very wonderful Stars of Heaven.

CF1989
14/01/2010, 11:28 PM
No, I can make exceptions for my family, what with me paying the bills and all. That ok with you?

yeah no bother, no need to get snappy sir

stann
15/01/2010, 12:38 AM
What's Cathal Coughlan up to these days I wonder?
Mocrodisney and Fatima Mansions were two of the best acts ever spawned on these shores.

endabob1
15/01/2010, 5:39 AM
I had A-House - I am the greatest, on in the car this morning, still sounds good 18 years on. There was a lot of decent bands in the mid 80's to mid 90's but most of them had no more than a couple of good tunes and weren't able to sustain anything beyond an album or a couple of EP's

The Good Son
15/01/2010, 7:08 AM
What's Cathal Coughlan up to these days I wonder?
Mocrodisney and Fatima Mansions were two of the best acts ever spawned on these shores.

He's released a few solo albums since. All of them not bad in my opinion (Black River Falls is my favourite of his solo stuff), but nothing to match Microdisney or The Mansions. The last update on his site is from last Summer, where he mentions he's recording a new album. Still does the odd live gig every now and then as well.

Macy
15/01/2010, 8:28 AM
Whipping Boy 'Heartworm', class album. Not sure whatever happened to them..
They did a few gigs a couple years ago, including the Olympia, and re-released Submarine. At least one of them is a Civil Servant (for the where are they now? element).

twoenz
15/01/2010, 8:35 AM
I'm a wee bit young for this thread, and coming from the North I missed a lot of these bands (and Aslan thank Christ) but after finding this tune on a Tom Dunne that my dad bought me so I wouldn't be homesick when I was in America, this instantly became one of my favourite Irish songs of all time:

5IXmoMr3ecU