PDA

View Full Version : Cork lose, Shels in the final

Pages : [1] 2

Slash/ED
16/05/2005, 9:07 PM
Brilliant :D :D

Cork really are poor when they have to break a side down, it was obvious today why their home form is so inferior to their away form. Portadown, for a team of part timers after their season is over, were absolutley incredible. Arkins worked his socks off and Hamilton, before his sending off, showed some class. If he is south bound like the rumours say he'll be a very good player. At ten men they understandabley went defencive and Cork are simply not capable of playing against that kind of team.

The fans would want to cop onto themselves though, apparently chanting against Rico and chanting for Dolan. Even if that's your opinion keep it to yourself for the sake of your team, you'll only really really mess up the season of a very promising team with that rubbish. Which is nice :) .

EnDai
16/05/2005, 9:15 PM
Cork were poor tonight, but if thats how they play at home against 10 men, its hardly surprising their home form is somewhat lacking this year, but I daresay they'll turn it around. They are afterall a quality team. But, I'm delighted, I get to spend €15 on Saturday! :D

Sheridan
16/05/2005, 9:22 PM
Hamilton's sending-off cost Cork (sic) the match. Portadown simply dug a trench on their eighteen-yard line thereafter and Cork didn't have the wit to break it down (opting for the WWI wave-of-bodies approach instead.)

Everytime I watch Vinny Arkins in this tournament, I become increasingly baffled by his thirty-goal-a-season average up North. He's certainly a hard worker and inspirational captain, but he just doesn't look like a goal threat at all.

Slash/ED
16/05/2005, 9:39 PM
Odd tactics from Cork too. Ports reduced to playing one, ageing striker up front and Cork maintain a back four for the majority of the match despite having O'Flynn on the bench and needing at least three goals? Gamble is also far better than O'Brien.

Drumcondra Red
16/05/2005, 9:47 PM
****, forgot season tickets don't count :mad: Where the hell do I pull €15 from???

Slash/ED
16/05/2005, 10:07 PM
It'd be a bit cheeky useing a season ticket to get into a final anyway :D

tiktok
16/05/2005, 10:08 PM
Odd tactics from Cork too. Ports reduced to playing one, ageing striker up front and Cork maintain a back four for the majority of the match despite having O'Flynn on the bench and needing at least three goals? Gamble is also far better than O'Brien.

Odd is an understatement!

A face
16/05/2005, 10:24 PM
Ah well ...... Come on Linfield !! ;)

A face
16/05/2005, 11:38 PM
I didn't get to see the game tonight .... can a few of the neutrals that saw it (not City of Shels fans) give us your opinion ??

hamish
16/05/2005, 11:40 PM
Commiserations to you City fans. I thought that goal should have been given, by the way. The young Daly lass who was lineswoman is from up my way. Her dad, Frank, was a Ros. Lge. referee too so I hope you lot won't be too cross with us. :o

GavinZac
17/05/2005, 12:28 AM
Brilliant :D :D

Cork really are poor when they have to break a side down, it was obvious today why their home form is so inferior to their away form. Portadown, for a team of part timers after their season is over, were absolutley incredible. Arkins worked his socks off and Hamilton, before his sending off, showed some class. If he is south bound like the rumours say he'll be a very good player. At ten men they understandabley went defencive and Cork are simply not capable of playing against that kind of team.

i agree, apart from the arkins working his socks off bit; he just harassed dan murray for the game.

The fans would want to cop onto themselves though, apparently chanting against Rico and chanting for Dolan. Even if that's your opinion keep it to yourself for the sake of your team, you'll only really really mess up the season of a very promising team with that rubbish. Which is nice :) .

nobody was chanting against rico or for dolan.

the nearest thing to "against rico" was begging him to bring on two of our best players while semi-pro billy woods and former ireland u21 international :eek: denis behan remained on the pitch.

the corner boys did sing "pat dolan's rebel army", in recognition of the fact that our popular (despite what eanna will say) former manager was in the stand opposite them.

Slash/ED
17/05/2005, 12:33 AM
What was the protest after the game and the Rico out chants at Richardson about then?

GavinZac
17/05/2005, 12:35 AM
What was the protest after the game and the Rico out chants at Richardson about then?

first ive heard of it.

"what a load of rubbish" was sung, which unfortunately made kev doyle look sad :(

not much of a protest

Ringo
17/05/2005, 6:28 AM
Pitch looked terrible on TV. Looked like it had been dug up before the game.

EnDai
17/05/2005, 6:43 AM
It looked like a Compton-esque tarmac'd basketball court, complete with blood stainings around the halfway line, covered with a very fine rug. Of course, there wer ethe desert patches too. Every time someone kicked the ball you saw more sand than ball initially. Pitch was a disgrace.

Hibs4Ever
17/05/2005, 6:54 AM
i agree, apart from the arkins working his socks off bit; he just harassed dan murray for the game.

nobody was chanting against rico or for dolan.

the nearest thing to "against rico" was begging him to bring on two of our best players while semi-pro billy woods and former ireland u21 international :eek: denis behan remained on the pitch.

the corner boys did sing "pat dolan's rebel army", in recognition of the fact that our popular (despite what eanna will say) former manager was in the stand opposite them.

The whole fact that your fans were singing "Pat Dolans Rebel Army" is a joke, and disrespectful to Rico.

GavinZac
17/05/2005, 8:08 AM
It looked like a Compton-esque tarmac'd basketball court, complete with blood stainings around the halfway line, covered with a very fine rug. Of course, there wer ethe desert patches too. Every time someone kicked the ball you saw more sand than ball initially. Pitch was a disgrace.

that must be why we beat you 1-0. you're so used to the bog of tolka.
get this lands, once again im going to be a bit mad and make a crazy suggestion: maybe its because we've had about 4 inches of rain all year.

The whole fact that your fans were singing "Pat Dolans Rebel Army" is a joke, and disrespectful to Rico.

well, ignoring the fact that it was just the 10 or so "corner boys", and that the aner brigade in the shed booed them for it, i think rico deserved all the disrespect he got last night.

denis behan is a sound man, and has talent. unfortunately, he was having one of those days when you've put on a metaphysical monaghan united jersey, and despite the obvious nature of what should be done about it, he was left on the field to have to deal with the fans bing livid that he was.

denis' playing ability is controlled by his confidence, he can be playing terrible and get a goal and suddenly hes a different player. being humiliated like that last night has probably made him want to check out noel down in limerick.

Gareth
17/05/2005, 8:09 AM
I didn't get to see the game tonight .... can a few of the neutrals that saw it (not City of Shels fans) give us your opinion ??

If I was being neutral, Cork Citys disallowed goal seemed to be a goal alright, the sending off was extremely harsh. I felt Damo left the game alone far too long and made very little proactive dchanges to deal with the numerical advantage. Overall, I was surprised by the commitment Portadown played with and thought it was very decent of them not to just lie down after a very successful cup final.

If I was not being neutral, I'd point and laugh at Corkies, especially one's who booked tickets to the final. Counting chickens eh!! :)

razor
17/05/2005, 8:30 AM
If I was being neutral, Cork Citys disallowed goal seemed to be a goal alright, the sending off was extremely harsh. If I was not being neutral, I'd point and laugh at Corkies, especially one's who booked tickets to the final. Counting chickens eh!! :)there were no tickets to the final booked, cop on. That early goal would have no doubt changed the game but officials ain't being too kind to us this year. I can't imagine Ports would have shown the same fight had they gone a goal down. Agreed the red was harsh, i didn't think he'd even book him but overall the ref was far too lenient on the persistant, cynical fouling.
Pitch looked awfully poor, As the ground is owned by the MFA, there are a lot of Cup Finals being played there at the moment and this isn't helping, hopefully when the local off season comes it'll improve.

drummerboy
17/05/2005, 8:31 AM
As a neutral, I thought Cork were kicked off the pitch in the first half. The referee allowed the Ports kick lumps out of the Cork forwards until he decided to book a cork player for a trip. He then decided to send off Hamilton for a yellow card offence.

Although Cork had lots of the ball they were far too lightweight up front. O’Calaghan seemed to be trying too hard and eventually burnt himself out. However he was singled out for some rough house stuff in the first half.

The bottom line is that Cork are a better team when counter attacking than when they are dominating a game. Portadown covered themselves with honour in the dogged manner in which they tackled the game. The young lad from Dundalk in goal had a blinder. Good entertainment for a neutral.

GavinZac
17/05/2005, 8:35 AM
Portadown covered themselves with honour in the dogged manner in which they tackled the game.

this being the waterford school of 'honour', yeah?

Drumcondra Red
17/05/2005, 8:46 AM
there were no tickets to the final booked, cop on. That early goal would have no doubt changed the game but officials ain't being too kind to us this year. I can't imagine Ports would have shown the same fight had they gone a goal down. Agreed the red was harsh, i didn't think he'd even book him but overall the ref was far too lenient on the persistant, cynical fouling.
Pitch looked awfully poor, As the ground is owned by the MFA, there are a lot of Cup Finals being played there at the moment and this isn't helping, hopefully when the local off season comes it'll improve.

Really? No tickets booked? What about the train to Dublin, which has been blocked on your MB by the way!!! :D :D :D :D

You are slowly turning into a joke, Cork!

razor
17/05/2005, 8:51 AM
Really? No tickets booked? What about the train to Dublin, which has been blocked on your MB by the way!!! :D :D :D :D

You are slowly turning into a joke, Cork!
There were provisional enquiries about booking a train in the event we qualified for the final. Some of these things just cannot be booked a mere 5 days in advance and we can't all expect home advantage. Idiot !

drummerboy
17/05/2005, 9:07 AM
this being the waterford school of 'honour', yeah?

Well they could have rolled-over. Afterall they had little to play for except pride. In would have made a mockery of the tournament. As regards the Waterford school of honour, its not that long ago that teams could expect a good kicking down in Cork.

BohDiddley
17/05/2005, 9:22 AM
As a neutral, I thought Cork were kicked off the pitch in the first half. The referee allowed the Ports kick lumps out of the Cork forwards until he decided to book a cork player for a trip. He then decided to send off Hamilton for a yellow card offence.

Spot on. :mad:
Another Setanta game where the outcome was determined by dreadful officiating, once again favouring Shels. I know it's easy to blame the ref, but if I were a Corkie I'd be hopping mad.
Ports hacked their way through the first half with impunity, were given an outrageous lifeline by the lino (what was she thinking of?) scored a neat but quite lucky goal against the run, packed their own box and were saved by a brilliant goalkeeping performance.
If there's any justice, Linfield will turn Shels over, but of course that's highly unlikely given the shocking choice of venue and the pattern of refereeing so far.

Gareth
17/05/2005, 9:56 AM
there were no tickets to the final booked, cop on.

Awh I was only kiddin, I couldn't really help it :) I really wasn't expecting that result either to do honest. Hoped it would happen but wasn't really confident.

Gareth
17/05/2005, 9:59 AM
If there's any justice, Linfield will turn Shels over, but of course that's highly unlikely given the shocking choice of venue and the pattern of refereeing so far.

Where did you expect the game to be played? It couldn't be held in Cork (pitch is terrible, unlikely to feature in the North and Longford's ground wouldn't be prime for a cup final. Dalymount could of been an option but tolka was free and its hosted cup finals, b internationals etc before......

As for the goal decision last night, it was a tough break alright but please don't start saying its a Shels coup....

razor
17/05/2005, 10:12 AM
its not that long ago that teams could expect a good kicking down in Cork.Happy Days.

BohDiddley
17/05/2005, 10:50 AM
Where did you expect the game to be played? ... Dalymount could of been an option ...
Your very own Q + A.
More generally, anywhere neutral might have been good! Dalymount, or even Richmond. How many are expected now that it's 'only' Linfield?
Have to say, I'd go if it was anywhere else, if only to support the competition, which I think is a very good idea. But attending as a neutral what is essentially a home game for Shels is just too weird, so count me out.
What a pity they've made such a mess of it.

Hibs4Ever
17/05/2005, 11:02 AM
Your very own Q + A.
More generally, anywhere neutral might have been good! Dalymount, or even Richmond. How many are expected now that it's 'only' Linfield?
Have to say, I'd go if it was anywhere else, if only to support the competition, which I think is a very good idea. But attending as a neutral what is essentially a home game for Shels is just too weird, so count me out.
What a pity they've made such a mess of it.

Agree with you totally. I even feel the UEFA Cup final is very unfair on CSKA Moscow.

Gareth
17/05/2005, 11:45 AM
Richmond is NOT an option for anything. Stand is awful and the surrounding area is useless. Most Pats fans agree with me on that when I talk about it.

Dalymount would of been an option but in recent times Tolka has got the nod. I understand it is an unfair advantage but I am sure Setanta selected the venue based on options.

Éanna
17/05/2005, 11:50 AM
whats that meant to mean? Dolan was/is popular- I know that :rolleyes:

first ive heard of it.

"what a load of rubbish" was sung, which unfortunately made kev doyle look sad :(

not much of a protest
so you come on here mouthing off, and you didn't know what was going on- typical :rolleyes:

EnDai
17/05/2005, 12:08 PM
Another Setanta game where the outcome was determined by dreadful officiating, once again favouring Shels. I know it's easy to blame the ref, but if I were a Corkie I'd be hopping mad.

I know its easy to hate Shels for some people, but seriously grow up with this sort of crap. The referee gave cork a 60 minute extra man advantage, for something that was worthy of a yellow, nothing more. I suppose Ollie paid him to do that? :eek: Alot of people expected Portadown to turn up and do nothing, but they didn't. That was the biggest deciding factor in the game. No team would have put 3 past a team defending so well with a keeper on such fine form.

pete
17/05/2005, 12:24 PM
About 20 people chanted for Dolan near the end but were quickly drowned out by the shed. About 15-20 people (Maybe a Home Farm fan can tell if that qualify as a crowd?) protested outside afterwards which is 0.00005% of the home crowd.

Can't comment on offside goal - couldn't tell from where i was was.
Ref was very poor in first half. He was blowing whistle too much for minor things like foot a bit high. Then not giving yellow cards for heavy tackles whenever city player was breaking forward. This directly lead to the Hamilton tackle which i though was a yellow card but i think someone said he kiced George when was on the floor. Ref did not cost city the game though.
The only time you'll see defending in depth like Ports will be if non-league team plays top Premier side in the FAI Cup. I think Portadown did themselves & their league no favours by kicking freekicks to touch deliberately.

Schumi
17/05/2005, 12:27 PM
Not a good game to watch, far too much hoofing from both sides. Portadown were very dirty, the red card was harsh (I initially assumed that it was for something extra to the foul) but probably deserved for the consistant fouling. Cork's red looked harsh as well, it was hardly a clear goalscoring opportunity out that near to the touchline. Cork seem completely incapable of breaking a defensive team down though and that's why they lost.

pineapple stu
17/05/2005, 12:30 PM
get this lands, once again im going to be a bit mad and make a crazy suggestion: maybe its because we've had about 4 inches of rain all year.
Eh?! There's been about four inches of rain in Dublin as well, and Belfield Park for one is in perfect nick! That's no excuse!

About 15-20 people protested outside afterwards which is 0.00005% of the home crowd.
Cork City in average gate of 30,000,000 to 40,000,000 shocker! Knew yez were exaggerating down there! :D

The referee was shocking, it has to be said. Hamilton's red card was a disgrace - yellow yes, but if that was a red, then every game would be abandoned by half time due to to few players remaining. The gas thing was he let so many tackles go before that. I can only assume he sent Hamilton off as a warning to the rest of the players, which was still ridiculous. Second red was funny though! :p Great goal from Hamilton. Kearney was the only Cork player to really come out of the game with any credit though - the rest were so leaden-footed it was untrue.

pineapple stu
17/05/2005, 12:32 PM
Cork's red looked harsh as well, it was hardly a clear goalscoring opportunity out that near to the touchline.
In fairness, if the keeper comes out that far from goal and fouls, he's always going to get sent off. A goalscoring opportuinty is far clearer if the keeper's on his arse behind you!

higgins
17/05/2005, 12:39 PM
More MOANING from you lot :eek:
Even have some bohs fans on your side now!

Tolka was picke dot host the fianl as its probably the best stadium in the country at the moment. Dalymount is the only other option but how many seats does that have?

We want to show off this competition to fans outside of the Eircom League and Irish League and I think tolka is the best bet for this. Tolka is still a dump but in EL terms its all we have. You dont see UEFA changing the the location if the home team makes it to the final....

If anyone wants to do up their ground to a better standard (wouldnt be hard!!) and keep the pitch in as good as condition as Tolka currently is then do it and get in touch with setanta about using it. To moan just because shels are there is a little childish. Its not Shels fault they put 10,000 seats into their own ground!!!

pete
17/05/2005, 12:40 PM
Cork City in average gate of 30,000,000 to 40,000,000 shocker! Knew yez were exaggerating down there! :D

No need to mock. Just cos you students have computer thingies ;)

Ok. 0.5% which on UCD attendances would be 2 people protesting :D

Yes pitch is really poor. Not sure how can be fixed.

pineapple stu
17/05/2005, 12:41 PM
Ok. 0.5% which on UCD attendances would be 2 people protesting :D
Touché! :p

I think the computer thingies you're on about are brains which can do easy maths, by the way! ;)

Anto McC
17/05/2005, 12:46 PM
Spot on. :mad:
Ports hacked their way through the first half with impunity, were given an outrageous lifeline by the lino (what was she thinking of?) scored a neat but quite lucky goal against the run, packed their own box and were saved by a brilliant goalkeeping performance.

Mind your own f*cking buisness you jelous little man.As always a Bohs fan sh*t stirring.

Btw Whats with all the Cork bashing from other Shels fans.I'm not trying to be funny but they tried their best and failed,I'm sure they will have another chance next year now lets be humble in victory.

Unlucky Cork,good effort and better luck next time.

Anto McC
17/05/2005, 12:48 PM
attending as a neutral what is essentially a home game for Shels is just too weird, so count me out.

Your not welcome.

Slash/ED
17/05/2005, 1:07 PM
You have to love the incredible bitterness from Bohs fans. Last year a few of their fans skipped their last match of the season to come cheer for Pats against us, how did that one go for you lads? :D

Gerrit
17/05/2005, 2:29 PM
Thank you Portadown ! :D

I really start to like those guys... First they give me a delightful afternoon in Windsor Park for my first match in the North (cup final with me in the audience ; though part of the credit goes to the very fair Larne fans), now this... Only a pity we were refused access to the Ports social club when we went up, and that after a PFC fan came on our boards to talk our minds wild about their -according to him- class serving girl :eek:

I expect a very nice game between two good sides Saturday. Though one remark which I already made in advance, and us making the final doesn't make me change that opinion: the choice of venue is not fair towards Linfield. I hope we win, but will have a bit of a feeling that we were advantaged, and I do prefer a win where both teams started with equal chances. Admit, if we win Linfield will anyway start to complain about our home advantage, and this time I can't even disagree with the opposition's complaints.

In a crossborder competition like this, a two-legged final with one game in the ROI and one in NI was the only fair solution. Certainly now with Shels and Linfield in the final, why not one leg in Tolka and one in Windsor Park ? Both venues are excellent. I think Setanta made a big mistake with only one final, and can only hope Linfield will get a decent amount of tickets.

Speranza
17/05/2005, 2:32 PM
Oye mystic meg, Linfailed haven't made the final yet, they have to beat the Glens tonight to make sure they get to the final. C'mon Glens

BohDiddley
17/05/2005, 3:28 PM
Your not welcome.
Jebus! Through storm of shot and storm of Shels!
My not being welcome is of course precisely why I'm making the blazingly simple case for a fair game at a neutral venue. I know it's probably too late to change now, but I think that in future more thought would go into this rather significant decision. When we qualify next year :p we won't expect to play the final at Dalyer.
Incidentally, I don't know where you Shels chaps get this bitterness mullarkey from. Maybe bitterness in your book = not agreeing enough. I'm speaking as a neutral here!
And if you want the rest of Irish football fandom to mind their own business, perhaps you should post your discussion in the Shels section, where no doubt no one will challenge your rather cossetted world view. I know you think you own everything, but you should be aware that this is a temporary aberration. ;)

PS: did anyone else hear Shels being described in last night's broadcast as a 'north Dublin club'. Begs the question: which is more important -- geography or history? Discuss.

Slash/ED
17/05/2005, 4:19 PM
Maybe bitterness in your book = not agreeing enough.

I'd equate bitterness to skipping Bohs last game of the season JUST to cheer against Shels in our bid to win two in a row, or did they just want to know what that looked like? And at times almost dedicating gypoweb to being a Shelbourne/Shamrock Rovers discussion board, but not agreeing with me enough is probably a good definition anyway :)

BohDiddley
17/05/2005, 4:31 PM
... at times almost dedicating gypoweb to being a Shelbourne/Shamrock Rovers discussion board, but not agreeing with me enough is probably a good definition anyway :)
Well, you obviously have been spending some time lurking there yourself. Was it vanity? ;)
Yes, there was some agonising for a while as to whether Shels were the new Rovers, but the discussion settled on the more or less consensual opinion that Rovers were the new Rovers. Kind of a back-back-handed compliment, formed of the opinion that Shels were not worthy of the honour. :D

joeraki
17/05/2005, 4:46 PM
Why is it everytime Cork lose, on here it reads, Cork where robbed, cheated, only team to try "play". While the team that beat them where, thugs, cheats, hoofers ?? And not forgetting the Ref, who's always a cheat :rolleyes:

Anto McC
17/05/2005, 5:36 PM
And if you want the rest of Irish football fandom to mind their own business, perhaps you should post your discussion in the Shels section, where no doubt no one will challenge your rather cossetted world view.

Not the rest of Irish football just you,I'd even welcome other Bohs fans to join in providing their not a sh*t stirrer like you and by the way what's your previous experience as a fan in the Setanta cup.

PS: did anyone else hear Shels being described in last night's broadcast as a 'north Dublin club'. Begs the question: which is more important -- geography or history?

Shelbourne play north of the River Liffey.......therefore they are a north Dublin club.C'mon it doesn't take a genius.