PDA

View Full Version : Slovakia v Republic of Ireland - 8th October 2020 - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

pineapple stu
08/10/2020, 9:20 PM
That sounds suspect at best. Why would the squad be declared in alphabetical order? And why would it be found out so late in the day?
Dan McDonnell on Twitter saying this is nonsense btw

Anyway, to penos!

youngirish
08/10/2020, 9:26 PM
Randolph has been s***e here.

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:27 PM
Hate to say it, but Randolph disappointed. Let himself down badly with the last Slovakian kick. Gutted.

I suspect Slovakia were practising penalties.

BonnieShels
08/10/2020, 9:28 PM
The fury.

passinginterest
08/10/2020, 9:28 PM
That’s so disappointing. Just lacked a cutting edge the entire time and it carried into the pens. Long term, might be no harm for Kenny not to have a major championships so soon in his reign.

osarusan
08/10/2020, 9:29 PM
Ah boll!x.

pineapple stu
Hate to say it, but Randolph disappointed. Let himself down badly with the last Slovakian kick. Gutted.

I suspect Slovakia were practising penalties.
Ah that's harsh. It was a proper Panenka that he had to completely readjust to and nearly got to.

The worst of it is the North just won in Bosnia...

centre mid
Had the chances to win it in 90 and 120. Pens are a lottery no shame in losing ot.

Doherty not convincing again. Time to ring the changes now, blood as many if the 21's as he thinks can step up and start afresh.

Trequartista20
Bitterly disappointing.

We need serious change now.

No holding back the younger lads.

tommy_c12000
08/10/2020, 9:30 PM
Really promising signs with that performance, compared to the preceding 20 plus years of rubbish I’ve had to sit through. Augurs well for the future

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:31 PM
I'm sorry to say I don't think he'll ever have a finals. I don't think he'll be backed long enough.

I'm still raging about Randolph. They made a fool of him.

BonnieShels
And Scotland and the IFA Representative Team have to make it worse. Eugh.

The Fly
That's hard to take.

& NI go through on penalties...making it that bit worse.

youngirish
08/10/2020, 9:33 PM
That Slovakian team were very poor. Hopefully now Kenny starts to phase out the likes of Hendrick, Hourihane and McCarthy. The midfield has been a weak link in our team for years now. Browne did more than all three combined when he came on.

We have three players in our midfield who are constantly criticised for going missing for their clubs for large spells of the game. Its hard enough to carry one of those players in your team never mind an entire midfield full of them.

jbyrne
08/10/2020, 9:34 PM
Its 0-0 playing a Slovakian team whose 2 best players are missing because of Covid. Hold your horses.

and of course we werent missing anyone....

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:35 PM
Randolph moved too quickly, and should have saved the last one.

Of course the players who missed strikes, during the game and in the shoot-out have to put their hands up.

Another collapse of the Delaney dream, watching other teams play in Dublin next summer.

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:36 PM
Wow, Sadlier tearing into McCarthy in the post-mortem.

BonnieShels
08/10/2020, 9:37 PM
Sadlier absolutely spot on there.

Trequartista20
08/10/2020, 9:38 PM
Sickener. We're behind the north and Scotland, now, as well as Wales and England.

There's a huge amount of catching up to be done.

youngirish
08/10/2020, 9:38 PM
and of course we werent missing anyone....

Only Connolly was missing who would have started for us and he's certainly not one of our best players. Coleman, if fit, was unlikely to start.

centre mid
08/10/2020, 9:39 PM
Daggers out from Maloney

patric
08/10/2020, 9:40 PM
Disapointing end to our campaign, however now is the time to go with the young guns, Northern Ireland came through a tricky tie tonight and good luck to them against Slovakia.

Olé Olé
08/10/2020, 9:41 PM
And Scotland and the IFA Representative Team have to make it worse. Eugh.

Took our own Niall McGinn to get them there.

youngirish
08/10/2020, 9:41 PM

What did he say? I can't watch RTE here.

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:43 PM
Daggers out from Maloney

Give it a few more negative results in the next little while, and that will be the resounding chorus. So frustrating.

seanfhear
08/10/2020, 9:44 PM
For whatever reasons International Football has not worked out for McCarthy ~ ~ He should retire and concentrate on Club Football.

Olé Olé
Daggers out from Maloney
Not sure if he believed his own line of questoning but really unfair from him and disappointing that someone in his position in RTE reacted by taking that tone.

NeverFeltBetter
What did he say? I can't watch RTE here.

That the most memorable moment from McCarthy's second era was the tennis balls.

seanfhear
08/10/2020, 9:46 PM
That the most memorable moment from McCarthy's second era was the tennis balls.
Big Mick must not have Kissed Rte Ass Real Good ! !

Eirambler
08/10/2020, 9:47 PM
Very poor going to fail to score against that Slovakia team in 120 minutes. They had little about them with their best goalkeeper, best defender and best midfielder all missing. And we still couldn't beat them. Just Duffy's header to show for 300 minutes of football in the last month. Nowhere near good enough. Northern Ireland now likely to be playing our home matches in Dublin next summer, if it goes ahead.

Not one player under 25 played for us tonight. Obviously circumstances partly caused that but still, it shows that a major overhaul of the team is now needed. I think we can more or less forget about the next World Cup with these players - especially our midfield, it's hopeless. Depends on how the draw goes I suppose. But there's an argument for a total rebuild now with a view towards 2024. Kenny's trying to play a brand of football that a few of these players simply aren't technically good enough to play. So time to bring in some that are, even if results take a hit in the short term.

When you look at our last Nations League campaign, the Euro qualifiers and the first two games of the current Nations League campaign, all we've managed is two wins against Gibraltar and a home win against Georgia. It's been a three year disaster since the win in Wales in 2017. It's time for a clear out, we literally have nothing to lose now - it can't get much worse.

jbyrne
08/10/2020, 9:47 PM
Only Connolly was missing who would have started for us and he's certainly not one of our best players. Coleman, if fit, was unlikely to start.

connolly wouldve made a difference. coleman one of our best players.
cant understand the whinging.... much better than i expected and we created 3 or 4 excellent chances. better team lost

brine3
08/10/2020, 9:48 PM
Enough with the negativity. We had a tough away fixture, had more possession, more chances and played some nice football.

Paddy Garcia
08/10/2020, 9:48 PM
At least saved a humiliation against the North.

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:50 PM
Not a hope Kenny will be given that long, not by our media or our association.

brine3
08/10/2020, 9:50 PM
For whatever reasons International Football has not worked out for McCarthy ~ ~ He should retire and concentrate on Club Football.

He was decent enough in closing down in the first half. Yeah, Browne offered more going forward, but the Slovakians had more chances after McCarthy went off.

I'd like to see us play three central midfielders

Eirambler
08/10/2020, 9:51 PM
You have to take that performance in the context of how bad Slovakia were with all the players missing though. They made us look good even though we were ponderous in possession most of the evening.

brine3
08/10/2020, 9:53 PM
You have to take that performance in the context of how bad Slovakia were with all the players missing though. They made us look good even though we were ponderous in possession most of the evening.

One of their missing players was their keeper. Well, it turns out their backup keeper is decent. Credit to him.

Neish
08/10/2020, 9:54 PM
Positive style but unless they find a goalscorer there are going to be more night like this

NeverFeltBetter
08/10/2020, 9:56 PM
Any good play from Ireland is rather undermined by our total inability to score a single goal in over 210 minutes of football, most of them against a mediocre team.

Olé Olé
08/10/2020, 9:56 PM
Very poor going to fail to score against that Slovakia team in 120 minutes. They had little about them with their best goalkeeper, best defender and best midfielder all missing. And we still couldn't beat them. Just Duffy's header to show for 300 minutes of football in the last month. Nowhere near good enough. Northern Ireland now likely to be playing our home matches in Dublin next summer, if it goes ahead.

Not one player under 25 played for us tonight. Obviously circumstances partly caused that but still, it shows that a major overhaul of the team is now needed. I think we can more or less forget about the next World Cup with these players - especially our midfield, it's hopeless. Depends on how the draw goes I suppose. But there's an argument for a total rebuild now with a view towards 2024. Kenny's trying to play a brand of football that a few of these players simply aren't technically good enough to play. So time to bring in some that are, even if results take a hit in the short term.

When you look at our last Nations League campaign, the Euro qualifiers and the first two games of the current Nations League campaign, all we've managed is two wins against Gibraltar and a home win against Georgia. It's been a three year disaster since the win in Wales in 2017. It's time for a clear out, we literally have nothing to lose now - it can't get much worse.

I think you have presented plenty objective facts in this post. I just can't help but feel you are being harsh in your interpretation of these facts and how you are imposing them on this performance. We were good. We should have scored. Kenny didn't manage the team throughout this campaign. It wasn't a particularly old team. We were missing a couple of strong younger players. I don't feel it is fair to say these players can't adapt to Kenny's style- they did to an extent tonight.

I feel we did well tonight. We could have won and maybe should have. There will be changes for the next campaign but it seemed to me that a lot of the players that featured tonight would be capable of staying with the group for that campaign.

seanfhear
08/10/2020, 9:59 PM
Kenny on Sky talking about Connolly and Idah ~ ~ ~ Something about 1.9 Metres and 1.7 Metres ~ ~ What the fook ? ? ?

Trequartista20
08/10/2020, 9:59 PM
That was a greatly weakened Covid-hit Slovakia in an empty stadium with their 'home' advantage effectively nullified and removed from them.

Let's be clear: this was a deeply disappointing non-performance from Ireland. We've proved to be the worst team on the isle, and on these islands as a whole, and there are serious questions to be answered. And, no, Kenny isn't wholly to blame for this latest foundering.

backstothewall
08/10/2020, 10:02 PM
That was dreadful. And it's been dreadful since Kenny took over.

He's had 3 winnable games, and taken a single draw. We knock the ball about a bit, but we haven't scored from open play.

I can tolerate this (for a while) if he's bringng the kids through or something, but there isn't even any direction there. It's more or less the same squad as Mick would have picked, with more Molumby but less Obafemi.

brine3
08/10/2020, 10:07 PM
It's like an England fan forum on here.

youngirish
08/10/2020, 10:07 PM
That was dreadful. And it's been dreadful since Kenny took over.

He's had 3 winnable games, and taken a single draw. We knock the ball about a bit, but we haven't scored from open play.

I can tolerate this (for a while) if he's bringng the kids through or something, but there isn't even any direction there. It's more or less the same squad as Mick would have picked, with more Molumby but less Obafemi.

I wouldn't hang Kenny out to dry. He has only had 3 games and the Slovakian game, whilst disappointing and nowhere near the great performance some of these guys are claiming it to be, was markedly better than our last 2 games under him. Give him a campaign to bring the younger lads through and let's get rid of the deadweight. Then we can judge him.

Bungle
08/10/2020, 10:11 PM
I actually think he is somewhat lucky with how it is landing for him. He won't be blamed for not qualifying here and he has another 4 nations league games before the wc qualifiers.

Hard to see us coming second in a group with the likes of Switzerland or Serbia and then winning a playoff with similar quality teams or even better than them.

Get Obafemi, Parrott, Molumby, Connolly and Idah playing in all the games. We have a good defence so that can stay but be tweeked in the next year or so. Bring in the youth. We have nothing to lose here. If we see the green shoots in 12 months time of 2-3 of them showing they are good internationals, then it is worth it.

pineapple stu
08/10/2020, 10:13 PM
He's had 3 winnable games, and taken a single draw.
He's taken two draws, including tonight, which I thought was the best performance of the three.

Yes, the opposition are mid-level mediocrity like ourselves. But we've been on the decline for a decade know and I don't know how much can really be put on Kenny here. There's so much more that's structurally inept in Irish football.

There's still two more games this week; let's see how they go.

Paddy Garcia
08/10/2020, 10:22 PM
Was Cullen not MOM in his first performandes for us, a real ability to unlock a defence.

I may have dreamt the MOM performance of course. The game was crying out for a player like Cullen.

zero
08/10/2020, 10:23 PM
I think Slovakia's poorness papered over a lot of the cracks tonight and a half decent side would have hammered us. Similar to the Bulgaria game in that respect.

I'm struggling to think of a positive other than the fact we kept a good shape. It's going to be a long time before we qualify for anything as our seeding is now ****ed. probably best to get relegated from nations league b so we can face sides at our level.

Eirambler
08/10/2020, 10:39 PM
I think you have presented plenty objective facts in this post. I just can't help but feel you are being harsh in your interpretation of these facts and how you are imposing them on this performance. We were good. We should have scored. Kenny didn't manage the team throughout this campaign. It wasn't a particularly old team. We were missing a couple of strong younger players. I don't feel it is fair to say these players can't adapt to Kenny's style- they did to an extent tonight.

I feel we did well tonight. We could have won and maybe should have. There will be changes for the next campaign but it seemed to me that a lot of the players that featured tonight would be capable of staying with the group for that campaign.

Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at Kenny at all. I'm not saying that 5 of the under 21 lads should have been in there tonight or anything like that. Those players for the most part aren't ready yet. You could argue the toss about one or two of the selections and subs but, overall, he's had to play the hand he was dealt. So he gets a free pass from me, but he needs to overhaul that team now and he must be given time to develop a new team and to allow the younger generation of players to come through.

Realistically we're going nowhere with the midfield that started tonight. Hendrick went missing again after a bright start, having Hourihane is like being a man down and his set pieces weren't even any good. McCarthy was OK but got injured again and is probably not a long term option given his injury history. McClean once again did nothing except show lots of energy chasing after balls he had given away. Brady again was poor, I don't have much hope that he'll ever get back to the level he was once at. I really don't see much point in persisting with those five now, other than maybe McCarthy if he can remain fit and is committed to another campaign. But I would understand if he has had enough.

What I'm suggesting is that we move on from those players now, because we're going to have to sooner or later if we're ever going to improve. I have great hope for Molumby and Knight and there's an argument to fast track their progression now and start to build a team around them. They won't be any worse than Hendrick or Hourihane anyway and if we blood them sooner we could reap the benefits in a few years time. They know Kenny's system and have shown they can play it. If we start to integrate them in front of our defence, which to be fair is pretty solid, we can maybe start to build a team with confidence - especially if the likes of Connolly, Parrott and Idah can kick on up top. There's also Cullen and Browne, who I thought played well tonight. Maybe even Byrne. It'll take a full campaign probably to put it all together and we will probably need to write off the world cup, but I don't see that we have many other options at this stage.