PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's games

Pages : [1] 2 3

pineapple stu
29/03/2019, 7:41 PM
UCD equalise against Rovers in Tallaght.

Interesting game; absolute howler from our keeper to get them level, but he's saved two one-on-ones as well

pineapple stu
29/03/2019, 7:46 PM
Add a two-yard tap-in to an open goal missed as well now!

passinginterest
29/03/2019, 7:51 PM
Lovely game of ball. Rovers have missed a few sitters, could easily be 3 or 4. UCD took their only chance really well. Rovers lack of a real goal scoring centre forward very obvious in a game like this.

passinginterest
29/03/2019, 8:28 PM
UCD much improved 2nd half. Have stopped Rovers playing through them and looking more dangerous on thencounter

passinginterest
29/03/2019, 8:35 PM
Rovers have butchered four good chances since the last post. UCD hanging on.

Jack B
29/03/2019, 8:53 PM
Sad to say but it seems like Harry Kenny hasn't got a clue.

pineapple stu
29/03/2019, 8:54 PM
Rovers get a third with the last kick after our keeper went up for a corner. Big offside shout for it though. Be interesting to see it again.

But the result was fair overall. I think if we keep playing like we have been though, we'll be nowhere near the play-offs

Poor Harps look gone already

passinginterest
29/03/2019, 9:28 PM
Didn't think he was offside. But thinking about it with the keeper up, isn't the last man then classed as the keeper so there has to be another man behind the ball? In that case it probably was. Funny game. Rovers were much better first half but went in 1-1, they were poor for a lot of the second half but walked off 3-1 winners. UCD number 7 was their stand out player for me. Overall a solid side, was good to see two teams consistently trying to keep it on the deck. Rovers just had that much more experience and quality.

dundalkfc10
29/03/2019, 9:32 PM
https://twitter.com/mcdonnelldan/status/1111705381506596864?s=21

joey B
29/03/2019, 9:38 PM
Can't muster a comment about us anymore, thoroughly depressing

RathfarnhamHoop
29/03/2019, 9:45 PM
Cracking game of football in Tallaght I thought. We created enough chances to win 2/3 games but it was just one of those days in front of goal thanks to a mix of bad finishing and Conor Kearns who probably enjoyed being called a "fat *******" after every goal kick, I'd put money on his brother being the ringleader of that shout.
Didn't think the last goal was offside on first look, thought he was just on but maybe I'm wrong, it has been known to occasionally happen.

EAFC_rdfl
29/03/2019, 9:49 PM
Rovers get a third with the last kick after our keeper went up for a corner. Big offside shout for it though. Be interesting to see it again.

But the result was fair overall. I think if we keep playing like we have been though, we'll be nowhere near the play-offs

Poor Harps look gone already

You'd need to get over the harps obsession, it's getting a bit boring. That massive 2 point cushion certainly has harps doomed at this stage!

Which has more room for improvement- playing well and losing, or playing ****e and losing...

White Horse
29/03/2019, 9:51 PM
I was delighted with Dundalk's performance tonight. Going in to a game against your main rivals for the last five years, without your three starting midfielders and having to play two players who are unable to train due to carrying injuries is not ideal.

I thought Dundalk showed the greater attacking threat throughout. However, I was impressed by Graham Cummins, he won most headers he challenged for and had Cork someone running through for knock-ons (like Barry McNamee), they could have capitalised.

Jamie McGrath was a joy to watch, he has lovely balance and control.

PartySaint
29/03/2019, 9:55 PM
As I said after the Waterford game, we’re in a relegation battle with Kenny in charge, he needs to go now.

Asterix
29/03/2019, 10:04 PM
Hopefully Rovers try to sign Farrugia , he was quality tonight. Jack Byrne also showing again that he is far too good for this level. Hopefully we keep him for at least the rest of the season.

pineapple stu
29/03/2019, 10:04 PM
Didn't think he was offside. But thinking about it with the keeper up, isn't the last man then classed as the keeper so there has to be another man behind the ball? In that case it probably was.
That's exactly it. It's two players between player and goal - usually one of those is the keeper, but if the keeper has gone up, then it's two defenders.

Maybe it's the First Division talking, but it was a very enjoyable evening. Tallaght is a proper stadium now with the third stand. 50/60 in the away end was unusual for us too. Shame two of the Rovers goals were so avoidable - a howler early on, and the keeper going up for a corner/maybe an offside for the third. But overall, Rovers absolutely deserved the win. The key for us is to at least bring the tempo into the next three games, which are all winnable - home to Waterford, Derry and Cork.

Which has more room for improvement- playing well and losing, or playing ****e and losing...
Playing well and losing obviously. We're competitive and should continue to pick up points. I'm not so sure about Harps.

pineapple stu
29/03/2019, 10:05 PM
Hopefully Rovers try to sign Farrugia , he was quality tonight.
Studying medicine. Nice long degree. :)

marinobohs
29/03/2019, 10:13 PM
Great win tonight for Bohs. Pats had a lot of the ball but created very little of note, look like a collection of good players rather than a team. Bohs looked the opposite, maybe less individually able but gelled together as a team.
If only the League was Dublin derbies 😁

RathfarnhamHoop
29/03/2019, 10:20 PM
Studying medicine. Nice long degree. :)
Not on an ad astra scholarship though so as long as we pay him >4k a year and he's willing to miss a few lectures he's ours :)

Burnsie
29/03/2019, 10:24 PM
Pats are a fairly tragic bunch. Agree with the comment above that they're a bunch of solo artists without any cohesion, contrasting with Ward and Corcoran linking up well at the other end. They'll miss Miele too if he's going to be out injured for a while, because he's looked their brightest player in the couple of matches I've watched. Less convinced that Drennan will be a loss. Shaw might be more what they need, with his ability to win and hold the ball and link with teammates, because god knows Forrester isn;t doing it

Dalymountrower
29/03/2019, 11:32 PM
Pats=Rovers B.
They were awful Mc Bride looked to be dominating the game until Kenny inexplicably hauled him off
Boys were quite good , helped by HK,s cluelessness and a decent game olan

Kingswood Rover
30/03/2019, 12:08 AM
Great win tonight for Bohs. Pats had a lot of the ball but created very little of note, look like a collection of good players rather than a team. Bohs looked the opposite, maybe less individually able but gelled together as a team.
If only the League was Dublin derbies 
Setting up nicely for your first visit to the deep ssouthside in a fortnight, gonna be a big crowd at this, did i ever tell ye about the law of averages because i have been telling myself a lot about it this evening

marinobohs
30/03/2019, 1:02 AM
Setting up nicely for your first visit to the deep ssouthside in a fortnight, gonna be a big crowd at this, did i ever tell ye about the law of averages because i have been telling myself a lot about it this evening

“The law of averages “ 😁 sounds like a Bradser team talk.

Kingswood Rover
30/03/2019, 7:58 AM
Great game of ball in Tallaght last night again Rovers passed the ball really well and should of been outta sight on 30 minutes. Aaron Greene is getting plenty of chances only for the 3 offside goals, numerous excellent saves from pesky keepers and him missing more than one sitter soo far this season he would be near double figs, just hope Mr Bradly keeps playing him so he gets the chance to run into a bit of goal scoring form.
We may actually get that runners up spot and finish within 10, that would be progress
Brilliant atmosphere for a UCD game i have to say and project fear about the project seems to have got out of the car to do a bit of shoppin in the square. Mr Bradly is now in learning mode and lets see if he can pass this seasons exam.

trevy
30/03/2019, 8:20 AM
Comfortable win for Waterford in front of crowd of 2004. Finn Harps had already got 3 yellows in first 25 minutes when their midfielder got a 2nd yellow for another bad tackle. Aaron Drinan got 2 for the 2nd game in a row. Shane Duggan capped off a fine display with a nice finish and Dean Walsh headed a 4th late on after a good cross from Akinade.

RathfarnhamHoop
30/03/2019, 11:03 AM
I was delighted with Dundalk's performance tonight. Going in to a game against your main rivals for the last five years, without your three starting midfielders and having to play two players who are unable to train due to carrying injuries is not ideal.

I thought Dundalk showed the greater attacking threat throughout. However, I was impressed by Graham Cummins, he won most headers he challenged for and had Cork someone running through for knock-ons (like Barry McNamee), they could have capitalised.

Jamie McGrath was a joy to watch, he has lovely balance and control.

So everyone fit Murray doesn't start for you in your opinion?

Ezeikial
30/03/2019, 11:27 AM

To be fair, it is an interesting question about who will become first choice when everyone is fit.

The starting midfield for the cup final last season and the opening league game was

Chris Shields | Robbie Benson
John Mountney | Patrick McEleney | Michael Duffy

Only Chris Shields and Michael Duffy can be confident of their places. Sean Murray, Daniel Kelly and Jamie McGrath will compete strongly with Robbie Benson, John Mountney and Patrick McEleney respectively, while Jordan Flores could well work his way into that frame.

There are others such as Joe McKee, Sean Hoare, Dean Jarvis or Cameron Dummigan who could possibly play their way into a midfield place.

Fitness and form (along with tactical considerations) will determine who gets the midfield places

White Horse
30/03/2019, 11:50 AM

If everone was fit at the moment, I would expect Shields, Benson, and McEleney to start as the three central midfielders.

Murray is settling in very well and is showing an ability to control games that Benson doesn't seem to possess. However, Benson provides great dynamism to the midfield, which Perth (and Kenny before him) appear to value. Murray will challenge Benson, and Benson will have to be at the top of his game to retain his place. Form will be the deciding factor.

Yossarian
30/03/2019, 12:30 PM
If everone was fit at the moment, I would expect Shields, Benson, and McEleney to start as the three central midfielders.

Murray is settling in very well and is showing an ability to control games that Benson doesn't seem to possess. However, Benson provides great dynamism to the midfield, which Perth (and Kenny before him) appear to value. Murray will challenge Benson, and Benson will have to be at the top of his game to retain his place. Form will be the deciding factor.

Murray is clearly not fully fit yet but on his game is a class player. I would be very surprised if he wasn’t a starter if every player was fully fit.

osarusan
30/03/2019, 3:57 PM
First division is atrocious.

We are awful, and are second in the table.

mcgonigle
30/03/2019, 4:35 PM
We may actually get that runners up spot and finish within 10, that would be progress

Yeah you keep telling yourself that, you might actually start believing it! Would that count as a successful season?

sbgawa
30/03/2019, 5:31 PM
Bookies have dundalk as odds on and they aren't often wrong.
The depth of their squad will probably tell as the season go's on but it's nice to be at least competing.
After 18 games last year we had 23 points , 22 after 9 this year

mcgonigle
30/03/2019, 7:28 PM
Bookies have dundalk as odds on and they aren't often wrong.
The depth of their squad will probably tell as the season go's on but it's nice to be at least competing.
After 18 games last year we had 23 points , 22 after 9 this year

We are rightly favourites but these constant statements from Rovers fans about hopefully finishing within 10 points are laughable. It's a two horse race and you're as piebald as they come 😉

Would Rovers fans really be happy to come second and 10 points behind?

placid casual
30/03/2019, 7:33 PM
Based on the money spent by dundalk, coupled with a league winning team, most of whom have been together for the last 5/6 years, yes it would be regarded as progress at Rovers.

mcgonigle
30/03/2019, 7:52 PM
Based on the money spent by dundalk, coupled with a league winning team, most of whom have been together for the last 5/6 years, yes it would be regarded as progress at Rovers.

That's the question dodged twice now. I didn't ask if it would be progress, obviously getting even one more point than last season counts as progress, I asked if Rovers fans would regard that as a successful season?

If so Bradley must be delighted. Calling for his head last season and now content with coming within 10 points!

Also don't kid yourselves that there isn't big money being spent at Rovers. No doubt Dundalk have the biggest budget but it's justified by trophies. What will justify Rovers?

joey B
30/03/2019, 8:29 PM
Longford beat Shelbourne 2 nil, Shelbourne's big investment not looking good so far......

total hoofball
30/03/2019, 9:08 PM
Longford beat Shelbourne 2 nil, Shelbourne's big investment not looking good so far......
It's looking like its going to be a car crash, already lost the same amount of games as the whole of last season

Longfordian
30/03/2019, 9:41 PM

Town's investment in Conor Kenna on the other hand is working out rather well so far.

Martinho II
30/03/2019, 10:18 PM
Town's investment in Conor Kenna on the other hand is working out rather well so far.

conor kenna and mick mcdonnell are some combination.brings much needed stability to defence. mick mcdonnell was my man of match tonight. we have really come on this season and dont accuse me of being cocky but I think we will have great stab of promotion so long as the buildings blocks remain intact..

sbgawa
30/03/2019, 10:20 PM
That's the question dodged twice now. I didn't ask if it would be progress, obviously getting even one more point than last season counts as progress, I asked if Rovers fans would regard that as a successful season?

If so Bradley must be delighted. Calling for his head last season and now content with coming within 10 points!

Also don't kid yourselves that there isn't big money being spent at Rovers. No doubt Dundalk have the biggest budget but it's justified by trophies. What will justify Rovers?

Of course rovers fans won't be happy to finish 10 points behind but the gap in resources makes that a likelihood as the bookies are betting on.
It doesn't mean we won't be trying to win the league it's just a dose of reality.
The team with the biggest budget doesn't always win, we just need a decent bounce of the ball and luck with injuries

mcgonigle
30/03/2019, 10:32 PM
Of course rovers fans won't be happy to finish 10 points behind but the gap in resources makes that a likelihood as the bookies are betting on.
It doesn't mean we won't be trying to win the league it's just a dose of reality.
The team with the biggest budget doesn't always win, we just need a decent bounce of the ball and luck with injuries

How big do you think the gap in resources is? Dundalk paying the biggest wages but by how much? For example, Finn moved for money, nothing else. Rovers would have far better facilities which is a factor. All weighed up is it really that big a gap?

outspoken
30/03/2019, 11:30 PM
Was commentating on Bohs V Pat's, thought Pat's were absolutely awful. Very poor discipline shown all night with petulant fouls and backchat to referee/opposition and no surprise to see Drennan go he was wound up all night. Forrester threw a major strop when subbed off, no acknowledgement from player to manager or vicaversa so problems mounting up for Kenny big time.

sbgawa
31/03/2019, 6:32 AM
How big do you think the gap in resources is? Dundalk paying the biggest wages but by how much? For example, Finn moved for money, nothing else. Rovers would have far better facilities which is a factor. All weighed up is it really that big a gap?

Your squad is far bigger and also has much greater depth. When we played harps with Byrne Clark and kavanagh away on international duty we filled the bench only by adding 2 under 19s.
I'd say dundalks budget is double rovers budget.
Best 11 v best 11 we are there but we need a bit of luck with injuries.

Ezeikial
31/03/2019, 10:37 AM

What is your estimate for each budget?

Kingswood Rover
31/03/2019, 1:37 PM
We are rightly favourites but these constant statements from Rovers fans about hopefully finishing within 10 points are laughable. It's a two horse race and you're as piebald as they come 

Would Rovers fans really be happy to come second and 10 points behind?
Rovers Fan (s) its me who originally mentioned the within 10 pts idea of being progress which it would be if it came off. Rovers though are looking like they might get even closer happy days if they do and why because Mr Bradley seems to be learning his trade, the team is more disciplined, the goal keeping issue has been addressed, his interactions with the media are not being used as the oppositions motivational tools and he has Rovers playing attractive football which so far has gotten more people through the gates. Given these observable facts and likely possibility that we will substantially improve our league position this season Bradly is safe for an all out assault on the title next year.

marinobohs
31/03/2019, 4:55 PM
Was commentating on Bohs V Pat's, thought Pat's were absolutely awful. Very poor discipline shown all night with petulant fouls and backchat to referee/opposition and no surprise to see Drennan go he was wound up all night. Forrester threw a major strop when subbed off, no acknowledgement from player to manager or vicaversa so problems mounting up for Kenny big time.

Pats have some excellent players but looked disjointed and well, pretty clueless. Bohs were organised dogged and had a clear plan. Pats players got ratty and resorted to hoofing the ball. I can understand their frustration but good teams play their way through tough games and despite obvious ability Pats are a fair way from being a team. Not sure where Forrester was playing, seemed to wander aimlessly throughout.

Pats will get better but need some rapid improvement.

Ezeikial
31/03/2019, 5:17 PM
This sublime touch from Dane Massey from Fridays match is worth a look, courtesy of Tom O'Connor's tweet

https://twitter.com/boscoisalive/status/1112109541251006465

mcgonigle
31/03/2019, 8:27 PM
Rovers Fan (s) its me who originally mentioned the within 10 pts idea of being progress which it would be if it came off.

The majority of Rovers fans on here have made a similar comment, PC, RH, Sbgawa to name a few.

If you are happy with that progress more power to you. I'm sure Bradley will be delighted to know he has plenty of breathing room. Maybe make him another wallpaper banner to let him know?

mcgonigle
31/03/2019, 8:29 PM

Did PC write that for you? Are you the same person? If you believe that, you're off the deep end.

outspoken
31/03/2019, 9:01 PM
Pats have some excellent players but looked disjointed and well, pretty clueless. Bohs were organised dogged and had a clear plan. Pats players got ratty and resorted to hoofing the ball. I can understand their frustration but good teams play their way through tough games and despite obvious ability Pats are a fair way from being a team. Not sure where Forrester was playing, seemed to wander aimlessly throughout.

Pats will get better but need some rapid improvement.

I'd agree they will improve but maybe not under Harry