PDA

View Full Version : Attendances 2019

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Nesta99
12/06/2019, 6:05 PM
Sure haven't the Portaloos been upgraded for away fans - thats a stadium development. Dont forget the footpath installed, tarmacing beside the stand and the puddle being sorted!! Embroidered seats!!!

Seriously though since mid 2000's about €2mil has been spent on Oriel most recently a supposed 500k spent fitting out the YDC. The problem with old crumbling grounds is that you can spend a fortune and it hardly be noticed. Nothing was done to Oriel from the 70s through to 2000s well a few things were done; Would you believe that the away terrace was one of the more recent additions to the ground prior to improvements in the 2000s. There used to be 2 rows of RSJs obscuring the view from the stand rather than the 3 that are there now and the fencing around the pitch were removed.

New roof on the stand and side glass replaced, stand brought up to health and safety standards as seating used to be planks with lines painted on them indicating a 'seat', shed terracing replaced and seats installed and new roof, YDC, concourse resurfaced including the lane that away fans use, it used to be a muck track. 2 or 3 versions of the pitch, a proper exterior wall behind the Carrick Road end was built, toilets built behind home terrace, floodlight pylons and lights refurbished, graveled areas on the town side of the stand has been properly surfaced. Due to the nature of how things ended up with Gerry Matthews as owner people have kinda forgotten how much he did when at the club - more than the last owners and the current owners tbh.

A lick of paint would go amiss and about as much improvement as we're likely to get in the foreseable future. We're told that an assessment of options was undertaken by a company eg whether to develop a greenfield site or stay in Oriel and staying in Oriel was the decision. Plans were also said to have been drawn up and meeting held with LCC including Delaney attending though his involvement could have been to do with Drogheda's project also. If we were to reach the group stages in Europe again then maybe there would be pressure on the owners to announce concrete plans if you pardon the pun.

It would be interesting to survey what clubs lose with falling attendances due to the intensity of the fixture list early season against what may be saved by not lengthening the season by a month or so!

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2019, 5:05 AM
Is this a recent announcement?

Shels should try move back to Irishtown/Ringsend. With all the apartments being built there and the companies based there there's serious potential for a very good fan base for them there and they'd cash in on the history bit of it all too.
Shels have looked into moving back to Irishtown before - the residents have made it clear they don't want football there. Historically, they've been very successful at getting football clubs founded there to move somewhere else.

outspoken
13/06/2019, 8:59 AM
Mark Devlin (Dundalk CEO) hinted at maybe a stand behind the town end goals at some stage in Oriel. You can hear his interview on Between the Stripes LOI podcast from last night. Again, no major plans afoot for Oriel it seems

marinobohs
13/06/2019, 9:10 AM
Is this a recent announcement?

Shels should try move back to Irishtown/Ringsend. With all the apartments being built there and the companies based there there's serious potential for a very good fan base for them there and they'd cash in on the history bit of it all too.

Apart from the objections of local residents (I think both shams and shells explored this before) there is the little matter of funding any new base. Government money committed for next few years (at least) FAI close to.... well, not in a healthy financial position ! So unless they find a Father Christmas (in June :D) its not even a pipe dream.Cost of property down there has increased dramatically due to new tech companies (on a Friday evening English not often the most spoken language in some local pubs !) so while I get your point it ain't going to happen.

brendy_éire
13/06/2019, 11:30 AM
Derry and Cork play in fine grounds. Is there plans to develop these further?

Phase 2 of the Brandywell is meant to be coming at some point. Martin McGuinness promised that the money would be there. Not exactly sure how that's going to go now.
TBH, the capacity of the ground is adequate for the vast majority of games. Personally, I don't think there's a need for much rush on it.

joey B
13/06/2019, 11:59 AM
Phase 2 of the Brandywell is meant to be coming at some point. Martin McGuinness promised that the money would be there. Not exactly sure how that's going to go now.
TBH, the capacity of the ground is adequate for the vast majority of games. Personally, I don't think there's a need for much rush on it.

First time in the new Brandywell a few weeks ago and its a fine facility,easy in easy out ,away section still a bit far from the bottom goals but apart from that a fine ground,its a bit heartbreaking to see what can be done with state help compared to what we've endured in the last 12 years....

EatYerGreens
13/06/2019, 1:50 PM
First time in the new Brandywell a few weeks ago and its a fine facility,easy in easy out ,away section still a bit far from the bottom goals but apart from that a fine ground,its a bit heartbreaking to see what can be done with state help compared to what we've endured in the last 12 years....

The Brandywell was council work, rather than 'State'.

Stormont is supposed to be funding the second phase of work to the stadium, but with Institute needing a new home I think that's looking slim now myself.

red bellied
14/06/2019, 9:28 PM
1984 in Showgrounds, about 40 cork

Dalymountrower
14/06/2019, 11:34 PM
That's a great crowd in Sligo

dong
14/06/2019, 11:44 PM
Not really great. 2300 last weekend.
I think people get used to the Saturday nights going to the match and changing it doesnt help but all clubs have similar issues.

oriel
15/06/2019, 10:44 AM
1984 in Showgrounds, about 40 cork

A statos dream figure playing Cork City!

PartySaint
15/06/2019, 5:34 PM
1,358 in Richmond

Shearer
15/06/2019, 8:26 PM
1,358 in Richmond
Must be some of the most fickle fans in the league.

oriel
15/06/2019, 9:50 PM
Not sure if above is sarcastic, but I don't think many Pats fans would disagree they are at best 3rd biggest club in the city, and were 4th when Shels were in the PD, and that is probably on the cards for next season. I wouldn't imagine FH had too many away fans either.

Would think between 1500-2000 would be probably the top end of what they could expect for a game like this, so its not too far out.

PartySaint
16/06/2019, 2:13 PM

I don’t blame the fans who didn’t go, it’s a form of self abuse going to watch Pats this season. 1,800 at our first game against Harps in Richmond and that was on a Monday night. The crowds will just keep getting smaller and smaller with Kenny in charge.

marinobohs
16/06/2019, 9:47 PM

Huh ? Bit strong given the disenchantment with recent form and not like Harps are a big draw. Actually getting close to 2 K is a decent crowd.

Nesta99
28/06/2019, 9:07 PM
5015 was a nice crowd to have in Tallaght. To use that well worn line 'a great advertisment for the league' - crowd, stadium, atmosphere, decent game, a quality goal against the run of play, little bit of controversy maybe too so there will be some post game chatter!

sbgawa
28/06/2019, 9:18 PM
Great crowd , these two teams will be pulling decent crowds for a good while I reckon

D24Saint
28/06/2019, 9:55 PM
600-800 in the bowl.

Shearer
28/06/2019, 11:18 PM
535 in Limerick

nigel-harps1954
28/06/2019, 11:26 PM
Great travelling support up from Sligo tonight. About 400 of them there. Haven't seen them travel as well to Finn Park in years. Great to see.

Overall around 1,200 maybe, at a push.

The Donie Forde
28/06/2019, 11:28 PM
2,302 at the Cross.

Nesta99
29/06/2019, 3:43 AM
2,302 at the Cross.

After tonights result it will be interesting to see how the next home gate goes - and not in a smart way Im saying that. Its a must win away to Harps or the crowd v Bohs may drop to the 2k mark. The club would never have budgeted for a 30% odd fall off and no European money on top. How do you stop the rot!?

trevy
29/06/2019, 7:06 AM
1523 at RSC with a big away support from Bohs.

EatYerGreens
29/06/2019, 4:22 PM
5015 was a nice crowd to have in Tallaght. To use that well worn line 'a great advertisment for the league' - crowd, stadium, atmosphere, decent game, a quality goal against the run of play, little bit of controversy maybe too so there will be some post game chatter!

Was there a figure given for away fans ?

And anyone know why a limit was put on the number of tickets given to Dundalk, even though the rest of the stand they were in was just left empty ?

Nesta99
29/06/2019, 5:27 PM
Tickets sold out from Oriel. There was a tweet from Rovers Friday afternoon I believe saying there would be no away ticket sales available on the night. Dont mention the war and all that...

Dalymountrower
29/06/2019, 6:35 PM
Great photo in the Times of the Dundalk goal.The two full stands in the picture really show Tallaght stadium off.Looking forward to going there again for Bohs/Rovers partIV

oriel
29/06/2019, 7:38 PM
Was there a figure given for away fans ?

And anyone know why a limit was put on the number of tickets given to Dundalk, even though the rest of the stand they were in was just left empty ?

Around 900 in the east stand, less than 100 sneaked into the west stand.

Nesta99
29/06/2019, 9:08 PM
Great photo in the Times of the Dundalk goal.The two full stands in the picture really show Tallaght stadium off.Looking forward to going there again for Bohs/Rovers partIV

Would love to see that if you could stick up a snap of it if not online. Didnt get any paper today.

EatYerGreens
29/06/2019, 9:08 PM
Tickets sold out from Oriel. There was a tweet from Rovers Friday afternoon I believe saying there would be no away ticket sales available on the night. Dont mention the war and all that...

Madness to leave hundreds/thousands of seats empty next to the Dundalk fans, and refuse to sell them any more tickets.

Why are Rovers doing this ?

Nesta99
29/06/2019, 9:15 PM
I'm sure one of the reasons given will be that it's a Garda decision. Maybe it is simply possible that two title rivals in a crunch game try and keep it as much of a hostile home atmosphere as possible?

sbgawa
29/06/2019, 9:29 PM
Garda limited the number of bohs tickets as well.
In fairness that was probably the right decision as they wanted to keep the South end of the East stand as a buffer or as overflow if needed for home supporters which in the end was needed for the bohs match but not for dundalk match.
The next time we play dundalk they should allocate another couple of hundred to dundalk to satisfy demand.

Nesta99
30/06/2019, 5:25 AM
In fairness that was probably the right decision as they wanted to keep the South end of the East stand as a buffer or as overflow if needed for home supporters which in the end was needed for the bohs match but not for dundalk match.
The next time we play dundalk they should allocate another couple of hundred to dundalk to satisfy demand.

This would make sense for no other reason than it keeps away fans from purchasing tickets in the home areas so less of a security headache. I think most supporters would accept a reasonable rationale for why tickets are capped when there is the capacity to allocate more tickets. Even if it was that they didnt want to have to sweep additional sections of a stand. Im sure everyone would be in agreement that the bigger the attendance the better from a league promoter and credibility angle. There was a significant enough number of Dundalk fans that wanted to attend the game but didnt have tickets. It wouldnt have been hugely more but about an additional 100 paying customers + those who were in the home areas so say 50 -100 may have been added to the away section. It generates atmosphere and the sense of it being an occaison and the place to be on a match night so should be seen really as the more the merrier in a stadium like Tallaght. Obviously that cant be reciprocated in Oriel due to its real limitations. If there is any kind of tit for tat aspect of ticket allocations then its seriously short sighted in the grander scheme of things.

Dalymountrower
30/06/2019, 8:06 AM
Would love to see that if you could stick up a snap of it if not online. Didnt get any paper today.
Newspaper industry is dying, only €3.20 a copy..Plus you get to know what is hot and what is not according to the south Dublin bubble their journalists breathe in.
( Also I have no idea how to stick up a snap of it)

Ezeikial
30/06/2019, 10:00 AM

Rovers fans regularly hide behind the skirts of others - SDCC closed the toilets, Gardai limiting numbers etc. It's almost as if SRFC have no say in how the match day operates.

Approx half of the East stand was allocated to visiting fans. There was not a single fan in the other half. The first empty section was already set up to accommodate more away fans with netting on its southern side, so extra visitors could have easily been safely accommodated while still retaining space for an overflow of home fans. Even though the stadium was at about 60% capacity, you and others are still implying that these limits were in place in case some 2000 to 3000 extra unexpected Rovers or neutral walk ups turned up. That's bizarre rationale.

Based on previous practices, many visitors would have expected to be able to buy tickets at the stadium if the match was not sold out. The late afternoon announcement by Rovers via Twiiter to say no visitor tickets would be sold was strange to say the least. At best it indicates inefficiency to communicate this so late in this way. Dundalk are not blameless here as they should also have clearly established the situation earlier and not have fans in the dark.

The bottom line is that there was no obvious reason not to accommodate the extra 100 - 200 fans.

Making it difficulty for paying punters to get into matches that are not sellouts seems to be a peculiarly Irish phenomenon

Nesta99
30/06/2019, 12:40 PM
Newspaper industry is dying, only €3.20 a copy..Plus you get to know what is hot and what is not according to the south Dublin bubble their journalists breathe in.
( Also I have no idea how to stick up a snap of it)

With people having phones welded to their hands these days its was presumptous of me, apologies.

nigel-harps1954
30/06/2019, 6:48 PM
Harps v Sligo - 1,312 official.

Calcio Jack
30/06/2019, 7:39 PM

https://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w540/Library/SF1108/1741214.jpg

EatYerGreens
30/06/2019, 7:59 PM
I'm sure one of the reasons given will be that it's a Garda decision. Maybe it is simply possible that two title rivals in a crunch game try and keep it as much of a hostile home atmosphere as possible?

Would an extra 50 or 100 tickets for the away fans have changed that "hostile home atmosphere" though? No. But it would have put a thousand or so Euro extra into Rovers' bank account.

The home atmosphere can't have bene that hostile anyway in all fairness, given the result.

EatYerGreens
30/06/2019, 8:01 PM

Definitely. The Gardaí don't understand Irish football anywhere near as well as the clubs themselves do. They should be pushing back on stupid decisions like this from AGS.

sbgawa
30/06/2019, 8:08 PM
Same as in dalymount with the guards not letting bohs fans into the sea kelly. Against rovers I can why but most other matches it's just not going to be a problem.
It's a case of why bother with the risk of say from the guards perspective

Dalymountrower
30/06/2019, 8:25 PM
https://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w540/Library/SF1108/1741214.jpg
Cheers.

Dalymountrower
01/07/2019, 9:34 PM
2448 in Dalymount. Dull enough game, sparked to life in last twenty minutes.Two games in three days after a break is crazy scheduling, as is sending Derry on a tour of Ireland over the weekend.

D24Saint
01/07/2019, 10:13 PM
2448 in Dalymount. Dull enough game, sparked to life in last twenty minutes.Two games in three days after a break is crazy scheduling, as is sending Derry on a tour of Ireland over the weekend.

Morons would don’t give a toss running the league is to blame for that.

nigel-harps1954
01/07/2019, 10:50 PM
Massively impressed to see about 20-30 Cork fans in Finn Park tonight. Great credit to them making that journey on a Monday, although I'm aware there's a handful of them staying over.

Around 800-ish attendance I'd have guessed.

D24Saint
01/07/2019, 11:21 PM
I would go with the ballpark of 2500 tonight, healthy crowd for a Monday.

PartySaint
02/07/2019, 8:42 AM
I would go with the ballpark of 2500 tonight, healthy crowd for a Monday.

Extratieme have it down as 2319 but I assume that's a typo, around 2,800 there I reckon.

legendz
05/07/2019, 10:47 PM
I think he said there was 318 in attendance in the Market Field. It was hard to hear. They would want to turn up the volume. It was an enjoyable game. One of the best I've seen live for a while.

Have a good weekend.

trevy
06/07/2019, 6:16 AM
1585 at the RSC last night including a couple of hundred teenage foreign students.

marinobohs
06/07/2019, 9:34 AM
1585 at the RSC last night including a couple of hundred teenage foreign students.

Well if Waterford can't go to Europe.....😁