ccfcgirl
22/03/2005, 8:09 PM
3-3 now

adamcarr
22/03/2005, 8:13 PM
Its a result! :)

pineapple stu
22/03/2005, 8:40 PM
Strange game! Utterly appalling first 30 minutes. Shels' left-back in particular (Rogers or Crawley, not sure which) was quite content to hoof the ball up the pitch every single time he got possession, most of the time not even bothering to look up. Portadown were just as bad, though the commentators declared it the most exciting half hour of football the world has even seen! :D Crowe was poor as well, I thought - his lay-offs didn't work, his shot when clean through (first time with the outside of the boot) was lazy (though disallowing his first-half effort was harsh) and Hawkins didn't really impress either. Maybe Bohs are taking the system down from the inside!

Quality goal from Byrne though, and from yer man Boyle at the end. Just about worth watching the whole thing for those two goals alone. Goalkeeping and defending on both sides was very suspect...two poor performances from Shels and two home draws against arguably inferior opposition to start the season - the rest of the league must be delighted!

eirebhoy
22/03/2005, 8:55 PM
Shels were really poor (don't know how Fenlon and Baker thought they had a decent first half). Baker was deserved MOM. Moore hit a cracker of a shot off the bar but he goes missing too much. Superb goal by Byrne but Boyle's was by far the best. Michael Collins is a tosser and if I could get odds on him being sent off when Shels travel to Portadown I'll definitely take them.

The commentators really have to drop the bias. "a harsh call by the ref" "No it was a definite foul", "decent pass" "you're being a bit too kind", etc, etc.

A face
22/03/2005, 8:56 PM
Maybe Bohs are taking the system down from the inside!

Brilliant ..... i knew there had to be some method to the madness !! :p

Andyh
22/03/2005, 9:13 PM
Tell me this lads is Setanta free in da south? My mate from Dublin says he gets it on NTL. I thought I was gonna get in free on Sky, then it scrambled just before the match started. Atmosphere sounded ok...

pete
22/03/2005, 9:36 PM
Aha atmosphere sounded ok but was all 'Ports' (is that what i supposed to call them?) under the camera.

I just came in before the shel$ first goal & while quality of defending was poor thought fairly entertaining (goals can make any game worth watching).

Shel$ very uncharacteristically poor in defense, Crowe didn't look interested €€€€€€€€ & with all their attacking players Fenlon plays nice cautious team (Moore on left & takes off forward when 3-2) to give Ports a chance.

Perfect result for City.

Setanta Cup has had 9 goals in 2 games & seems to be Irelands Chapions League as no use playing for draw in groups.

Goal to get draw was a cracker.

Thought Setanta coverage 1st rate, plenty of cameras, prompt interviews post match & commentary was good. Setanta Boys a bit biased but not at all as bad as Sky boyos.

Who is the presenter standing next to Dolan? Would i have seen him elsewhere?

Setanta is free with NTL in Dublin. Think Setanta did bulk deal with NTL. NTL might be taking cut of ads or trying to make themselves different from SKY. THink they have €99 year offer to subscribe through SKY.

iceman
22/03/2005, 9:39 PM
Tell me this lads is Setanta free in da south? My mate from Dublin says he gets it on NTL. I thought I was gonna get in free on Sky, then it scrambled just before the match started. Atmosphere sounded ok...

They were offering a months freeview but that has now expired AFAIK. It costs €99 for the year through Sky.

thejollyrodger
22/03/2005, 9:43 PM
That is one brutal result. Leaking 3 goals at home. I expected a lot more from all the new signings. Its hardly a inspiring start to the season, two home draws.

Were going to have to beat CCFC and I dont know if Shels will tbh. Defending was dreadful. Fenlon is going to have to give a major kick up the ass to some of those players.

fitzknows
22/03/2005, 9:45 PM
That's a bad result for the donabate dons.
Tough away trips now to the ****** backyard and to Portadown.
Have made life difficult for themselves.
:D ;)

Mod edited, Pm'd User

JC_GUFC
22/03/2005, 10:20 PM
I thought the game was great - 3-3 draw some great goals and good passing moves. Yeah there were a few mistakes and goalkeeping howlers but that's always gonna happen when it's 3-3! Ports had 2 off the line in the first half too!
The crowd and atmosphere was decent too - hopefully it will bode well for the future of the competition.
One thing I was thinking though is would it not be better to have more clubs involved.
If there were 2 groups of 5 teams with 2 home games and 2 away it would be the same number of games for each team but more teams involved.

eirebhoy
22/03/2005, 10:44 PM
I personally don't know anyone around my area (Pearse Street area) that actually pays anything to get the terrestrial channels. We all have cables and are getting the signal from NTL but for some reason you'd be doing well to see someone with an NTL bill around here. :)

I actually only found out a couple of years back that we were supposed to pay anything. I always though the basic 14 channels were free for everyone in Dublin. How I found out was I rang RTE because my signal had been scrambled. She asked me who my cable provider was and I told her I didn't have one. :o

Anyway, back to football.

A face
22/03/2005, 10:45 PM
How many were there ball park ??

Slash/ED
23/03/2005, 12:06 AM
Attendence was 2,711

Simply ****e performance for most of the match, some good passing but Crawley is an embarassment. Hoof every time he gets it, how can you build a passege of play with him in the team? Every time he plays it's the same. The front two were decent, Crowe getting a goal that was then disallowed for no reason anyone who's seen it can actually come up with, and Byrne getting a cracker. Harris was hopeless when he came on and messed up the whole defence that was doing fairly well until then. Moore was much much better than against UCD, ie he bothered showing up, being on the left suits him better. Very unlucky not to score.

Overall Shels were awful bar a minority of the match when we were passing it around very nicely, we're absolutley miles off our best right now.

Hibs4Ever
23/03/2005, 6:51 AM
As much as I HATE shels, I actually wanted them to win last night just because of that sc*mbag knacker Collins. What a PR*CK :mad:

monutdfc
23/03/2005, 8:16 AM
Agree 100% that Michael Collins is a dick.
Only saw the first half and the last 5 mins. Thought the first 30 mins were very poor, but the goals made up for it. Hope the scoring rate keeps up - Setanta took a chance investing in this competition and I hope it is a success.

sullanefc
23/03/2005, 8:22 AM
As much as I HATE shels, I actually wanted them to win last night just because of that sc*mbag knacker Collins. What a PR*CK :mad:

I'd have to disagree, thought it was quality watching shels getting kicked around the place as opposed to them doing the kicking. Although that Collins guy deserved a red card twice! Raised his hands to Heary and went in with the studs on Byrne I think it was. But I wasn't bothered too much :D

Should be a good game next monday at the cross with shels needing a win.

patsh
23/03/2005, 8:26 AM
So do City.....

sullanefc
23/03/2005, 8:29 AM
So do City.....

Which is why it should be a good game. I hope there is a good crowd there and the St Annes end fills up. It will look good for the TV :)

drummerboy
23/03/2005, 8:40 AM
Thought the game was very entertaining. Ports didn't allow Shels play the ball through midfield hence a lot of long balls. Richie Baker had a great game. Rogers was poor in first half as was Crawley. Jamie Harris was an absolute disgrace when he came on. Was the cause of all 3 goals. Crowe and Byrne don't seem to play well together, but time will tell. Would have gone to match myself with my kid but was a bit worried about security. Everything seems to have gone off well.

monutdfc
23/03/2005, 8:50 AM
Who is the presenter standing next to Dolan? Would i have seen him elsewhere?

Is it Paul McDowell, formerly of John Craven's Newsround? (seriously)

joeSoap
23/03/2005, 9:03 AM
Although that Collins guy deserved a red card twice! Raised his hands to Heary and went in with the studs on Byrne I think it was.
Agreed...what a piece of filth....however, Heary should have gone too, as he also raised his hand to Collins. I can never understand all of this mamby pamby shoving and blowing kisses and waving handbags malarkey. If its a red card offence, then get value for your red card....instead of gently shoving, give him a proper lash for gods sake !! :D

centre mid
23/03/2005, 10:08 AM
Is it Paul McDowell, formerly of John Craven's Newsround? (seriously)

Whats the story with his eyes :eek:

cracking second half - good football and goals, goals, goals

great advert for the EL

patsh
23/03/2005, 10:36 AM
great advert for the EL
More like a great advert for the NI league, as they have the upper hand after the two games played!.;)

eirebhoy
23/03/2005, 11:58 AM
I honestly don't it was a good advert for the EL. I think all this years Old Firm games were poor quality football and that was the case last night. The ball was not on the ground anywhere near enough. The Irish U-21's were at the match, a lot of them it would have been there first time, and I think they'll be walking away having expected a lot more from a team aiming to get to the CL group stages.

Shelsman
23/03/2005, 1:02 PM
One thing I was thinking though is would it not be better to have more clubs involved. If there were 2 groups of 5 teams with 2 home games and 2 away it would be the same number of games for each team but more teams involved.

I would go for just one group, then Longford would play Ports and Shels would play Linfield and Glens. The thought of clubs from the same jurisdiction playing each other hardly sets the pulse racing so I would be in favour of each team for eL playing only IL opposition in one big group ( home and away ), then whoever tops the group are champions.

Shelsman
23/03/2005, 1:08 PM
Jamie Harris was an absolute disgrace when he came on. Was the cause of all 3 goals.

Makes you wonder how much blame Fenlon should take if his defence had kept a clean sheet up until he changed it..........

Hawkins looked good last night but Harris and Rogers were class last season. I know no-one is guaranteed their place but my loyalty would be to Harris first, not sure there was a need to sign Hawkins when the above two were so good but I suppose having a top class player on the bench is always a bonus.

Shelsman
23/03/2005, 1:10 PM
I honestly don't it was a good advert for the EL. I think all this years Old Firm games were poor quality football and that was the case last night. The ball was not on the ground anywhere near enough. The Irish U-21's were at the match, a lot of them it would have been there first time, and I think they'll be walking away having expected a lot more from a team aiming to get to the CL group stages.

To be fair it was only Shels second game of the season and both teams were finding their feet in the competition. I expect the standard to improve after each club has played at least one match each.

Éanna
23/03/2005, 1:57 PM
Harris is totally overrated. The guy has no positional sense whatsoever. Entertaining game, and good to see Shels leaking goals. Also good to see a team take the fight to them and hit back- hopefully the city players will have picked up on that and give Heary similar roughhouse treatment. Looking good for City at the moment IMO.

pete
23/03/2005, 2:10 PM
Collins should ahve been sent off - take your pick of offenses. Sure he was even gesturing at the other bench when he was subbed.

I don't understand why people complaining about shel$ hoofing as they always do that. Last year i spoke to non-eL people who thought shels passed well against Hadjuk but IMO they hit long balls to opposition half before passing the ball.

IMO we all need to learn the art of hype. Bar Stoolers don't have a clue about quality football & have jumped onto the Premierhype goals galore. 3-3 & poor play seems to be better than 0-0 tactical game for the neutral.

At least Setanta will have a few good goals to show for match previews.

thejollyrodger
23/03/2005, 3:16 PM
One thing Shels (and other EL) teams have to do, is take the ball down and pass it around, slow the game down a little bit and make better use of the pitch.

There is lots of running around and a high tempo game but that doesnt make for good TV and certainly wont get results in Europe.

Shelsman
23/03/2005, 4:43 PM
One thing Shels (and other EL) teams have to do, is take the ball down and pass it around, slow the game down a little bit and make better use of the pitch.

One thing I have always felt about Tolka and a lot of other eL grounds is that the pitches are too small, this means the team without the ball can close down the opposition too easily, making for a scrappy game ( literally! ) and teams are pressured to play long. Dalymount is a nice sized pitch but I believe the bigger the better.

If Shels move to a new stadium I hope they have the cop on to make the pitch as big as possible. I know some might argue that means we might get creamed in Europe as a result ( I wouldn't necessarily agree with this notion ). That said, Shels did reduce the Landsdowne pitch vs Deportivo...

If a bigger pitch means that it's easier for Shels ( and their opponents ) to play good football every time they play then well and good.

thejollyrodger
23/03/2005, 5:00 PM
good point. Shels would be playing week in week out on a bigger pitch and would have that advantage over the other clubs. It would also stand to them when the are playing in Europe since most of the away matches would be on bigger pitches.

Colm
23/03/2005, 5:03 PM
Also good to see a team take the fight to them and hit back- hopefully the city players will have picked up on that and give Heary similar roughhouse treatment.

Yeah definately. It was great to see him rattled. Teams need to plays Shels at their own game more often. They're quite content to act the thugs themselves but don't like to be on the recieving end of it.

Poor Student
23/03/2005, 5:19 PM
Is it just me or is that not a great crowd for such an event? Did Portadown bring many fans?

Schumi
23/03/2005, 5:43 PM
My estimate was 3-400 Portadown fans, hard to tell from a distance though. I'd say the overall crowd was a bit lower than against us. I thought there might be more but the early start and it being on TV might have had an effect. :confused:

Beats
23/03/2005, 7:38 PM
Ports brought just under 500 and sung like there was 10,000!!!

Collins was lucky to get away with that tackle but the ref wasnt great for both sides and let shels away with some dodgy tackles and off the ball incidents! shels number 3 pushing Kyle Neill in that face, or did the Shels fans miss that?

thought i match was great and my voice is still suffering....good start to the setanta IMO!

EnDai
23/03/2005, 7:38 PM

TonyD
23/03/2005, 8:13 PM
I'd have to disagree, thought it was quality watching shels getting kicked around the place as opposed to them doing the kicking. Although that Collins guy deserved a red card twice! Raised his hands to Heary and went in with the studs on Byrne I think it was. But I wasn't bothered too much :D

Collins v Heary just before he was subbed was great stuff altogether. Hilarious. I can't wait for the re-match. (Always thought Heary was a thug and he met his match last night.) :D :D

pete
23/03/2005, 9:28 PM
2000-2200 home fans at Tolka is goof for shel$. Would be surprised if they beat that all season.

Slash/ED
23/03/2005, 9:35 PM
Considering we beat that only a week ago I wouldn't be so suprised.

pete
23/03/2005, 9:46 PM
Considering we beat that only a week ago I wouldn't be so suprised.

How many UCD fans at 1st league game of season? 100?
What was total including them?

So you beat by 200 odd?

Slash/ED
23/03/2005, 9:48 PM
How many UCD fans at 1st league game of season? 100?
What was total including them?

So you beat by 200 odd?

The total was 2,477 iirc, it's in the attendences thread, and I think Stu or one of the other UCD fans guesstimated there were around 100 UCD fans there yeah.

Éanna
23/03/2005, 10:36 PM
Collins v Heary just before he was subbed was great stuff altogether. Hilarious. I can't wait for the re-match. (Always thought Heary was a thug and he met his match last night.) :D :D
that was brilliant alright

Slash/ED
23/03/2005, 10:39 PM
that was brilliant alright

Amazing, Shels are "scum", someone doing it to Shels is "brilliant".

It was the refs fault anyway, he was farcially inept (As he always is). If Portadown saw they could get away with that kind of thing early on than you can't blame them for it in fairness to them, what I wouldn't give for an even halfway competent ref in this league...

Éanna
23/03/2005, 10:53 PM
Amazing, Shels are "scum", someone doing it to Shels is "brilliant".

It was the refs fault anyway, he was farcially inept (As he always is). If Portadown saw they could get away with that kind of thing early on than you can't blame them for it in fairness to them, what I wouldn't give for an even halfway competent ref in this league...
I'd like to see all that kind of messing eradicated, but Shels are no angels, Heary especially. This is a team which surrounds and intimidates referees if it doesn't get its own way, going so far as to push a ref (Heary, at turners cross) on at least one occasion. I don't blame shels for it- if you can get away with it and you get an advantage, why not? Its weak refereeing and it needs to be stamped out. I'm not saying I agree with that kind of behaviour as a matter of principle, but shels are the worst culprits in the league and its nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine

Slash/ED
23/03/2005, 10:58 PM
I'd like to see all that kind of messing eradicated, but Shels are no angels, Heary especially. This is a team which surrounds and intimidates referees if it doesn't get its own way, going so far as to push a ref (Heary, at turners cross) on at least one occasion. I don't blame shels for it- if you can get away with it and you get an advantage, why not? Its weak refereeing and it needs to be stamped out. I'm not saying I agree with that kind of behaviour as a matter of principle, but shels are the worst culprits in the league and its nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine

I agree with you that it's the refs fault, but glorifying a potentially career ending tackle on Alan Moore simply because it was against Shels is daft and hypocritical.

Éanna
23/03/2005, 11:08 PM
but glorifying a potentially career ending tackle on Alan Moore simply because it was against Shels is daft and hypocritical.
eh, if you look at the piece of his comment I quoted, I was applauding his behaviour towards Heary, never mentioned the tackle. No one in their right mind would agree with that- it was just plain wrong.

Slash/ED
23/03/2005, 11:27 PM
eh, if you look at the piece of his comment I quoted, I was applauding his behaviour towards Heary, never mentioned the tackle. No one in their right mind would agree with that- it was just plain wrong.

Ah well my mistake so, that's fair enough, though I've no idea what his little gesture thing was all in aid of.