PDA

View Full Version : $hels v Portadown

Pages : 1 [2]

Beats
24/03/2005, 12:37 AM
from what ive been told, your manager has done his homework and picked out Collins as a hot-head and someone he can wind up. the whole match Collins was getting smart wee coments about everything from Belfast, his play, his head etc. etc. getting more treatment than anyone else so this is probably what lead up to it!

im not in anyway saying what he did was right and the tackle wasnt called for and he was lucky to stay on.....but youse didnt happen to see you number 3 pushing Niell in the second half no, or was this bit missed out?

Slash/ED
24/03/2005, 12:44 AM
I genuinley didn't see our number 3, Crawley, push anyone. But a nice long suspension for him could only boost our chances of winning the tournament.

The Sheliban
24/03/2005, 5:58 AM
Most teams have players who can mix it, and football can be narky and nasty at times. Collins stood out as a nasty little player, but to be fair, he's on the team to help his team win, and if he could do that by getting Heary riled, then he's using his head (I'm not talking about the tackle on Moore, rather the goading of Heary)
Despite what happened in one incident at the Cross the year before last - which Cork fans seem to think is total and irreversible proof that Shels are thugs - Shels don't employ hatchet man tactics. We have hard men, who take no quarter, but so do all good teams, Shels no more than the rest.
However, where Shels fall down big time is when we are goaded by the likes of Collins, Molloy, Reynolds etc, who quite rightly see their best chance of success is inviting retaliation and making Shels losing discipline. We were hammered by Rovers at Richer last year, precisely because we resorted to a private battle , rather than concentrating on the football.
I fully expect Rovers to try the same tactic tomorrow night, and it will be interesting to see if a) the ref keeps his nerve and b) Shels keep their professionalism.

pineapple stu
24/03/2005, 8:38 AM
How many UCD fans at 1st league game of season? 100?
What was total including them?

So you beat by 200 odd?
Not trying to knock Shels (can't as a UCD fan, and I've actually stood up for them in this regard numerous times), but there would have been a fair few neutrals at both games which no-one's taking into account.

monutdfc
24/03/2005, 8:51 AM
Despite what happened in one incident at the Cross the year before last - which Cork fans seem to think is total and irreversible proof that Shels are thugs - Shels don't employ hatchet man tactics. We have hard men, who take no quarter, but so do all good teams, Shels no more than the rest.
The Bohs-Shels game at Dalymount towards the end of last season is further proof of Shels thuggishness though. Stephen Ward had his ankle broken and the ref bottled it rather than giving both Heary and Crawley second yellows; there were disgraceful tackles flying in all over the place.

JW.
24/03/2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/website.nsf/systemcontent/newsarticle?open&articleid=8a6ddbdcffeed89f80256fcc0050a35f&pageid=ba73bba9967c8bcc80256fc5003af91d&

Shelsman
24/03/2005, 12:28 PM
2000-2200 home fans at Tolka is goof for shel$. Would be surprised if they beat that all season.

Can all Cork fans ( and other begrudgers ) SHUT UP whining about attendances in Tolka!?!?!?!

OK, if the league was decided on average home gates then Cork would probably win every year -but it's NOT!!!! :eek: :p

This is has been brought up as a pathetic excuse to have a go at Shels for as far as I can remember on these forums. WE GET THE MESSAGE so give it up!!!