PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Desmond League 2017/18

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Cruyff
15/07/2017, 7:24 AM
Most teams back training this week, any news from around lads?

fanaticfan
15/07/2017, 9:54 AM
I heard that Killeaney are in trouble. Won't have a lot of players this coming season. Heard Keith Hartnett is gone from Rathkeale into Pike Rovers. Pa Ahern gone from Rathkeale to Regional and Mikey Lyons gone from Regional to Rathkeale. Heard Tony Quaid is gone from Newcastle West Afc to Newcastle Rovers.
Dunno if any of them are true but just what I heard

Johnnie C
16/07/2017, 12:24 AM
Off topic but just found this.
Footage of NCW Rovers V Granagh Utd in the Division 3 League Cup Final 2002.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ve08jwoD0

NCW v Creeves U12 Cup Final 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGl0yQtzjQQ

Cruyff
16/07/2017, 6:36 PM
2 changes in management so I'm told, NCW Rovers Thomas St John is managing them, Ballingarry are being taken on by Gary Shanahan and Mike Aherne.
Heard Killeaney are in big trouble as well, a few of their lads are dipping their toes in foreign pools during pre-season until they see how it shakes out at home(I think they will eventually all re-sign for killeaney)
I'd imagine the stories regarding the Rathkeale lads are fairly accurate but I would be a little surprised if Keith actually signed for Pike but wouldn't be shocked either.
Tony Quaid I don't think knows himself who he'll be playing for next season, don't rule out Rathkeale for him(don't quote me but I think he would be very receptive to advances). Rovers would be a great fit for him but he will have to really up his application and commitment from recent seasons wherever he goes, he's tight with NCW manager so he might convince him to stay too, but still I think it's more likely he leaves.
NCW keeping Paul Downes though and signing Daragh McCarthy from Rovers.
Carrig should get young Noel Callinan from Rovers, would be a great addition for them, great potential.
Broadford signing Paul Fitzmaurice from St Ita's, was a great servant to St Ita's in fairness to him. Ita's also losing red hot striker Callum Donoghue he's going playing Munster Senior League for Everton.
One to watch out for but ye won't hear anything about it for another month I'd say is that Michael Brosnan has a decision to make when he gets home from Chicago, Broadford or Regional Utd, You'd have to think that without Ray Lynchs goals they will take a little step back from where they've been as a serious contender which will have to affect his thinking if he wants to stay in the international picture, Albeit Regional are not a serious contender in town they are playing against better competition which would stand to him.
That's all I've got so far.

Gazza29
17/07/2017, 9:44 AM
2 changes in management so I'm told, NCW Rovers Thomas St John is managing them, Ballingarry are being taken on by Gary Shanahan and Mike Aherne.
Heard Killeaney are in big trouble as well, a few of their lads are dipping their toes in foreign pools during pre-season until they see how it shakes out at home(I think they will eventually all re-sign for killeaney)
I'd imagine the stories regarding the Rathkeale lads are fairly accurate but I would be a little surprised if Keith actually signed for Pike but wouldn't be shocked either.
Tony Quaid I don't think knows himself who he'll be playing for next season, don't rule out Rathkeale for him(don't quote me but I think he would be very receptive to advances). Rovers would be a great fit for him but he will have to really up his application and commitment from recent seasons wherever he goes, he's tight with NCW manager so he might convince him to stay too, but still I think it's more likely he leaves.
NCW keeping Paul Downes though and signing Daragh McCarthy from Rovers.
Carrig should get young Noel Callinan from Rovers, would be a great addition for them, great potential.
Broadford signing Paul Fitzmaurice from St Ita's, was a great servant to St Ita's in fairness to him. Ita's also losing red hot striker Callum Donoghue he's going playing Munster Senior League for Everton.
One to watch out for but ye won't hear anything about it for another month I'd say is that Michael Brosnan has a decision to make when he gets home from Chicago, Broadford or Regional Utd, You'd have to think that without Ray Lynchs goals they will take a little step back from where they've been as a serious contender which will have to affect his thinking if he wants to stay in the international picture, Albeit Regional are not a serious contender in town they are playing against better competition which would stand to him.
That's all I've got so far.

I heard that Hartnett is only training inside until Rathkeale start back up. Rathkeale should be strong though with Lyons and Colin Enright both joining them. They will lose D Lyons, Ahern and Tomas Quilligan. Keeping Sean O'Shea and Enright who were outstanding last year a big plus for them
Abbeyfeale the big losers with all 3 Smiths leaving and the likes of Joe Kelliher another year older. They won't be struggling but won't dominate either. They still have a good chance of silverware though. A lot will depend on Mike Sheehan's commitment though
Micheal Brosnan definitely staying with Broadford, Paul Madigan and Johnny Carey returning. The real big additions there could be having O'Brien and King from the start.
Lynch definitely going though
I'd agree with Cruyff re Tony Quaid, I doubt he knows himself what he is at, Afc have always been loyal to him though, he would do well not to forget that. I didn't hear much about the lower divisions. I would doubt that there were any red hot strikers down there though, those boys don't do div 2

fanaticfan
17/07/2017, 1:24 PM
Why will they lose Quilligan , d Lyons and ahern?

Gazza29
17/07/2017, 2:53 PM
Why will they lose Quilligan , d Lyons and ahern? All training in Limerick as far as I know. I'm open for correction though

fanaticfan
18/07/2017, 4:34 PM
Why are the 3 gone from abbeyfeale?
Daragh McCarty leaving rovers to join afc is a strange one. Are the killeaney boys playing with other teams??

Gazza29
18/07/2017, 4:40 PM
Why are the 3 gone from abbeyfeale?
Daragh McCarty leaving rovers to join afc is a strange one. Are the killeaney boys playing with other teams??

P Smith has packed it in or else is playing in Kerry I think, C Smith to Janesboro and T Smith abroad

fanaticfan
19/07/2017, 12:19 AM
Good move for Chris Smith. A fine player

southern kid
19/07/2017, 9:45 AM
Lads it's early days yet and most players are only testing waters wit other clubs. 8 or 10 years ago I would say Ya a player would be right to make move in to city but I go to a lot of premier game in city and over last few seasons the standard is gone back, I don't kno reason for it as facilities are better and most coaches have training badges,and also I'm not one of these older fellows da say it bcos I'm not playing at top level. The facts are there at national level wit fai and junior caps etc.the Desmond league on other hand has improved with top 3 ratkeale brdf and Abbey would all do well in limk premier. I agree with Chris Smith being good player but they is as good if not better also in Desmond lge, o Shea an Keefe and McAuliffe.is he moving after his summer tournament which I don't think he would have managed with out his team mates, other rumour is his family fell out wit club which may be true as I think he wud stay other than that. Are all clubs back pre season?? Any friendlies comin up?

Gazza29
19/07/2017, 10:21 AM
Lads it's early days yet and most players are only testing waters wit other clubs. 8 or 10 years ago I would say Ya a player would be right to make move in to city but I go to a lot of premier game in city and over last few seasons the standard is gone back, I don't kno reason for it as facilities are better and most coaches have training badges,and also I'm not one of these older fellows da say it bcos I'm not playing at top level. The facts are there at national level wit fai and junior caps etc.the Desmond league on other hand has improved with top 3 ratkeale brdf and Abbey would all do well in limk premier. I agree with Chris Smith being good player but they is as good if not better also in Desmond lge, o Shea an Keefe and McAuliffe.is he moving after his summer tournament which I don't think he would have managed with out his team mates, other rumour is his family fell out wit club which may be true as I think he wud stay other than that. Are all clubs back pre season?? Any friendlies comin up?
Well said

Shearer
19/07/2017, 11:13 AM
Heard Aaron Smith was going to Rathkeale.

Gazza29
19/07/2017, 12:12 PM
Heard Aaron Smith was going to Rathkeale.
Who is he?

Shearer
19/07/2017, 3:20 PM
Who is he?
18 or 19 year old striker. Played for Ballingarry Juniors last season but won the Youths treble with Rathkeale in 15/16 (think he has played most of his soccer with Ballingarry). Was on the Oscar Traynor squad last season.

last man back
19/07/2017, 5:20 PM
Anyone know the story with ballingarry supposed to have 4 or 5 out from the city if rumours are to be believed

fanaticfan
20/07/2017, 9:37 AM
Any friendly matches coming up?

sexyfootball
20/07/2017, 12:44 PM
If the Desmond League was reported on by Sky Sports News

BREAKING - Tony Quaid linked with every team in Limerick & Desmond Leagues #SSNDLHQ
BREAKING - Ray Lynch to play with Broadford, Charleville, Regional, Janesboro in the coming season #SSNDLHQ
BREAKING - Keith Hartnett to play for Rathkeale this season... but he might also play for Pike... although could also play for Fairview #SSNDLHQ

CONFIRMED - Newcastle West Rovers & Newcastle West AFC agree terms to merger & will be sponsored by Best of Friends Insurances Ltd.

AWARD - PJ Kinsella to be granted the freedom of all Desmond League grounds due to his lifetime contribution to West Limerick soccer.

LIVE - Frank Nelligan reporting from Riverside Park *Shane Stack seen entering clubhouse with hood up & head down* looks like a deal/ medical could be only hours from being completed.

robotwarsfan
20/07/2017, 1:22 PM
ballingarry had 2 last week v ballynanty and carew, lost 2-0 to carew i heard

Cruyff
20/07/2017, 3:26 PM
If the Desmond League was reported on by Sky Sports News

BREAKING - Tony Quaid linked with every team in Limerick & Desmond Leagues #SSNDLHQ
BREAKING - Ray Lynch to play with Broadford, Charleville, Regional, Janesboro in the coming season #SSNDLHQ
BREAKING - Keith Hartnett to play for Rathkeale this season... but he might also play for Pike... although could also play for Fairview #SSNDLHQ

CONFIRMED - Newcastle West Rovers & Newcastle West AFC agree terms to merger & will be sponsored by Best of Friends Insurances Ltd.

AWARD - PJ Kinsella to be granted the freedom of all Desmond League grounds due to his lifetime contribution to West Limerick soccer.

LIVE - Frank Nelligan reporting from Riverside Park *Shane Stack seen entering clubhouse with hood up & head down* looks like a deal/ medical could be only hours from being completed.

Those last 2 though....

historynut
20/07/2017, 7:16 PM
Would a North Munster league be sustainable, comprising the best of Limerick Premier, Clare, Desmond and Tipp north leagues ?, 3-4 from each league giving a 12/16 league, promotion relegation play offs amongst above junior league Champions.

Treaty Gooner
20/07/2017, 9:30 PM
Now there's an interesting proposition. Munster Senior League is more of less a south Munster thing anyway, why not have a league for those teams mentioned above. Surely viable for a season at least.

sexyfootball
22/07/2017, 7:34 AM
Newcastle West AFC beat Glin Rovers 4-2 in a challenge during the week, both Gary O'Connor & Snow from Killeaney playing with them, Darragh McCarthy also played!}

Gazza29
28/07/2017, 9:12 PM
Newcastle West AFC beat Glin Rovers 4-2 in a challenge during the week, both Gary O'Connor & Snow from Killeaney playing with them, Darragh McCarthy also played!}
Any challenge games on in the last few days or on over the weekend lads

Ballistinianlad
30/07/2017, 6:04 AM
Ballysteen beat an under strength Broadford 6-2. Newcastle rovers lost 7-0'to charleville I beleive. Again they were down players.

sexyfootball
31/07/2017, 10:49 AM
Ballysteen on course for back to back promotions i'd say... seem to be doing all the right things down there and judging by The Weekly Observer a deadly buy into it too. Can't see anyone in Division 1 stpping them at least finishing 2nd - see NCW AFC & Ballsteen top 2!
Not a great result for Rovers even down a few players... and with players possibly leaving doesn't look good.
Premier will be between Abbey, Broadford & Rathkeale - depending on who they can keep/ bring in
Abbey losing any of the Smiths would be a huge loss for them
Broadford losing Ray Lynch & possibly other players to the City...
Rathkeale losing Keith Hartnett & possibly others to the city also!

Any other transfers lads?

fanaticfan
31/07/2017, 12:58 PM
Ya heard the same about rovers losing 8-0 to charleville. Regional playing abbeyfeale in abbey tonight. Dunno what time

Treaty Gooner
31/07/2017, 2:10 PM
Don't think too many of those supposed rumours will happen. Hartnett, Smith(s), half of Broadford least likely of all.

sexyfootball
31/07/2017, 4:08 PM
Don't think too many of those supposed rumours will happen. Hartnett, Smith(s), half of Broadford least likely of all.

I don't know; with Ray Lynch gone in to Regional reckon he could convince a few of the Broadford lads (and possibly a few others in the Desmond League) to at least give it a go for a season in the District League.
Chris Smith should definitely play in town for at least a season or 2 (like Tommy Culhane a season or 2 ago).

That Regional Abbey game might be a good one; be interesting to see who'll be togging with Regional.

Gazza29
31/07/2017, 8:02 PM
I don't know; with Ray Lynch gone in to Regional reckon he could convince a few of the Broadford lads (and possibly a few others in the Desmond League) to at least give it a go for a season in the District League.
Chris Smith should definitely play in town for at least a season or 2 (like Tommy Culhane a season or 2 ago).

That Regional Abbey game might be a good one; be interesting to see who'll be togging with Regional.
Would Broadford, Rathkeale and Abbeyfeale all not be considered bigger clubs than Regional. I could almost guarantee that no one Lynch apart from those 3 clubs would take a step back to go to Regional, if anything it would be players from Regional to come out to those 3 for a chance to win something

Treaty Gooner
31/07/2017, 8:56 PM
Agree with that. Where it would have been seen as a big step up to move into the District up until fairly recently, the players aren't moving in as large numbers as they used to. Desmond quality has improved at the top level anyway, District has gone backwards. Money could motivate some fellas but the majority are staying put. Very refreshing to see.

sexyfootball
01/08/2017, 10:32 AM
Gazza29 & Treaty Gooner - maybe Lynch is trying to put together a good squad?

Also some fellas might just want a change/ chance to see if they can compete/ have the personal ability to play against the bigger teams (Pike, Fairview, Janesboro, Nenagh etc.).

Did that Abbey v Regional game go ahead last night? If so, any report?

Gazza29
01/08/2017, 11:57 AM
Gazza29 & Treaty Gooner - maybe Lynch is trying to put together a good squad?

Also some fellas might just want a change/ chance to see if they can compete/ have the personal ability to play against the bigger teams (Pike, Fairview, Janesboro, Nenagh etc.).

Did that Abbey v Regional game go ahead last night? If so, any report?

Obviously every manager is trying to put together a good squad. Nobody is disputing that. Our query is why would a player drop down a level to play with Regional if they were with either Abbey, Rathkeale or Broadford. Abbey Munster champions cup and Des League cup champions, Broadford Des Cup Champions and Munster Junior semi finalist and Rathkeale Premier League Champions. I'm not being smart but I don't think Regional have ever won a major honour, or is finishing 6th in Limerick an achievement

nathanbrown
01/08/2017, 12:16 PM
Nice to see things up and running again. Couple of good talking points.

Its good to see that we don't lose fellas to the city as much as before. My own lad went in there underage as it was seen as better standard, not the case anymore as we even overtook them in the rankings for kennedy cup. However I dont think you can call it a step down to play with Regional, not quite a step forward either though. I think the attraction lies with the opposition more than anything, Its competitive games every week and playing better opposition consistently. Just because Regional have never won the league doesnt mean they cant and fellas who know Ray Lynch will know hes good and might make a go of it and might buy into it a little more. Fellas might look for changer rather than progression and see if they can compete against the likes of Pike. Some lads might just want to get away from playing with their local club for a year or 2 aswell

nathanbrown
01/08/2017, 12:22 PM
Ballysteen on course for back to back promotions i'd say... seem to be doing all the right things down there and judging by The Weekly Observer a deadly buy into it too. Can't see anyone in Division 1 stpping them at least finishing 2nd - see NCW AFC & Ballsteen top 2!
Not a great result for Rovers even down a few players... and with players possibly leaving doesn't look good.
Premier will be between Abbey, Broadford & Rathkeale - depending on who they can keep/ bring in
Abbey losing any of the Smiths would be a huge loss for them
Broadford losing Ray Lynch & possibly other players to the City...
Rathkeale losing Keith Hartnett & possibly others to the city also!

Any other transfers lads?

I would be fairly confident Broadford had nowhere near a full squad for this game so I wouldnt read too much into it. I do think Ballysteen will be top half this year but might just be a little short for promotion. A few good young lads there but need a signing or 2 to push them over the line. NCW should surely be favourites, Killeaney are always strong in this division, I think Kildimo will be stronger than last year, Abbeyfeale B are always competitive aswell. It definitely looks like it will be a stronger division than last year. You would expect Feenagh to go down, along with Adare maybe and im gonna go with NCW and Killeaney to go straight back up

robotwarsfan
01/08/2017, 1:23 PM
anyone available for a friendly tonight vs breska in breska at 7 (can be pushed to half 7) other team pulled out, ref is sorted?

fanaticfan
01/08/2017, 3:52 PM
Regional best Abbeyfeale 5-3 last night in Abbeyfeale. Chris Smith was playing.

sexyfootball
01/08/2017, 4:08 PM
Nice to see things up and running again. Couple of good talking points.

Its good to see that we don't lose fellas to the city as much as before. My own lad went in there underage as it was seen as better standard, not the case anymore as we even overtook them in the rankings for kennedy cup. However I dont think you can call it a step down to play with Regional, not quite a step forward either though. I think the attraction lies with the opposition more than anything, Its competitive games every week and playing better opposition consistently. Just because Regional have never won the league doesnt mean they cant and fellas who know Ray Lynch will know hes good and might make a go of it and might buy into it a little more. Fellas might look for changer rather than progression and see if they can compete against the likes of Pike. Some lads might just want to get away from playing with their local club for a year or 2 aswell

Thanks nathanbrown that was the point I failed so miserably to get across - also it isn't just Regional Desmond League players could go into other teams such as Fairview also
Personally lads might just want a change or having won competitions here see if they are as good/ can compete else where.

Think Killeaney might be struggling to get a team (weren't they trying to amalgamate with Bally Rovers or Carrig Celtic? & a few of there players have been playing challenges with other Desmond League teams.

sexyfootball
01/08/2017, 4:10 PM
Regional best Abbeyfeale 5-3 last night in Abbeyfeale. Chris Smith was playing.

Sounds entertaining!
Any other notable players togged out for either side?

fanaticfan
03/08/2017, 10:21 PM
Was there Any friendlies on lads or any coming up to go watch?

Battery Rover
04/08/2017, 9:36 PM
AK United vs Broadford A this Sunday @ 12 noon in Kilcornan

Treaty Gooner
05/08/2017, 11:38 AM
When does the league start?

fanaticfan
05/08/2017, 12:48 PM
Tomorrow 2 weeks

western gale 1
05/08/2017, 11:00 PM
When does the league start?

Season starts on Sunday, August 27th

nathanbrown
08/08/2017, 10:28 AM
AK United vs Broadford A this Sunday @ 12 noon in Kilcornan

I see Broadford won this 4-0. Thought it was a strange friendly, a team who struggled to survive in Division 1 against a team hoping to win the premier. Dont see what either team will gain out of it.

Any other games played over the weekend?

fanaticfan
08/08/2017, 11:06 AM
Was talking to seanie king the weekend and he said carrig lost 3-0 to newcastle afc

Battery Rover
08/08/2017, 4:06 PM
I see Broadford won this 4-0. Thought it was a strange friendly, a team who struggled to survive in Division 1 against a team hoping to win the premier. Dont see what either team will gain out of it.

Any other games played over the weekend?

Broadford looked very strong. AK were missing quite a few. Result didn't reflect truly on the game

AK United vs Glin. Wednesday 7pm in Kilcornan

AK also defeated Shannonside 6-2 last week

Battery Rover
09/08/2017, 8:05 PM
AK United vs Glin. Wednesday 7pm in Kilcornan

Finished 1-1

Ballistinianlad
10/08/2017, 7:14 PM
Ak will be dark horses for the division 1 title this year. Couple of quality signings.
Have any of the premier teams lost any more players to town or anything. Three horse race for the title I'd imagine. Broadford. Abbey. Rathkeale

superblues37
10/08/2017, 7:38 PM
seen somewhere that pike played rathkeale during the week.....how did pike look? heard theyre struggling big time for players......