PDA

View Full Version : TV Deal

Pages : [1] 2 3

harpskid
22/02/2005, 9:39 AM
UP to 30 Eircom League games and FAI Cup ties are set to be screened live in a new television deal agreed by the FAI, writes Gerry McDermott.

The association is expected to announce soon that it has done an historic multi-package deal with RTE, Setanta Sports, TV3 and TG4.

Coverage is expected to commence on Friday, March 18, with the Dublin derby between Bohs and Shamrock Rovers which is likely to be screened on Setanta.

Meanwhile, several clubs are thought to be investigating the option of appealing against the decision of the Eircom League Management Committee to approve a 33-round campaign for the Premier Division.

Cork City manager Pat Dolan is the latest figure to express his annoyance at the fixtures which were published on Saturday at the League's AGM.

Clones Road Cas
22/02/2005, 11:38 AM
Our Acting CEO is beginning to be a bit like Seamus Brennan, making an awful lot of announcements. The cynic in me is wondering has it anything to do with the coming interview process.

ho Hum

Éanna
22/02/2005, 11:40 AM
I don't trust Delaney, but there have been some positive developments since he got the job. If he keeps this up, I might have to change my mind

dcfcsteve
22/02/2005, 12:10 PM
I don't trust Delaney, but there have been some positive developments since he got the job. If he keeps this up, I might have to change my mind

I think the best thing for FAI posts in future might be to have them on permanent probation

Seems to be the best way to keep them on their toes....... :D

Slash/ED
22/02/2005, 12:27 PM
Meanwhile, several clubs are thought to be investigating the option of appealing against the decision of the Eircom League Management Committee to approve a 33-round campaign for the Premier Division.

ffs :rolleyes: It's far too late for that now, all we need now is to scupper this TV deal by dragging the start of the season out even more.

Otherwise what Éanna said, word for word. Not convinced by Delaney yet but if this happens I'll have to give massive credit where it's due.

This would be fantastic news for the league, if we can add in a proper highlights package then it's happy days :cool:

pineapple stu
22/02/2005, 12:32 PM
Brilliant news if it's true! That would be a live game every week, pretty much. I'd still prefer to see a decent highlights package over live games, but I'm certainly not going to complain over this!

How are teams planning on taking action against the 33-game season? I thought this was discussed and passed at the recent AGM, with the alternative being proposed by Derry City? If so, what possible grounds for complaint do they have?

Colm
22/02/2005, 12:40 PM
How are teams planning on taking action against the 33-game season??

I don't think it's the 33 game season they are planning to take action against, it's the scandalous set of fixtures which are unfairly favourable to Shels and Bohs and have stacked the odds against Cork City.
Dolan is dead right, it's outrageous and action should be taken.

Slash/ED
22/02/2005, 12:42 PM
I don't think it's the 33 game season they are planning to take action against, it's the scandalous set of fixtures which are unfairly favourable to Shels and Bohs and have stacked the odds against Cork City.

Action should be taken, what you mean by that is all fixtures from now on should favour Cork and only Cork or you'll take your ball and go home? Wake up ffs, the fixtures had to favour someone that's the stupidity of the system, they switch every year so next year it's advantage Cork, I bet you wont be complaining then, like Dolan wasn't complaining when the fixtures suited SPA.

pineapple stu
22/02/2005, 12:43 PM
Aaaarggghhh...so hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not! I hope I hope there's a smiley face missing from there! :)

Would have thought that made it obvious, but no... Facts shmacts.

Colm
22/02/2005, 12:44 PM
Aaaarggghhh...so hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not! I hope I hope there's a smiley face missing from there! :)

No sarcasm intended.

pineapple stu
22/02/2005, 12:45 PM
Well then I refer you to my above (edited) post. Your post is one of the stupidest I've read and bears absolutely no relation to the facts as set out in the passage originally quoted.

Dolan was complaining about last year's fixtures as well...even though there were four rounds! :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
22/02/2005, 12:48 PM
Anyway, about the TV deal, what's so great about having four channels involved is that no Euro ties should be left uncovered now, so you wont have situations like last season where Corks inter toto run was largely ignored.

Maynard
22/02/2005, 12:55 PM
The tv deal sounds like what everyone's been hoping for (therefore I wouldn't get the hopes up just yet :rolleyes: ) but if it comes through that would be great. So long as it doesn't become the Shelbourne show (nothing against Shels btw) and they can cherry pick the fixtures with some sense ie derbies, promotion/relegation battles etc then it should be fantastic

gspain
22/02/2005, 12:56 PM
This is great news - 30 live games will really boost the profile of the league.

Éanna
22/02/2005, 12:58 PM

so what do we do? Swap them around, and then complain again next season?

The time for action is long gone. The clubs surely knew what was going to happen (someone would get screwed) and no-one said anything, because they hoped it would be someone else. We got the short straw unfortunately, but what can we do.

holidaysong
22/02/2005, 1:00 PM
30 live games...nice :)

Danny
22/02/2005, 1:35 PM
fux sakes will corkies please stop moaning about the fixtures list and just get on with looking forward to the season
Pats are away twice to shells cork drogs derry Waterford & bray and ye don’t hear us complaining.
This could mean more to us and the bottom of the league than you lot at the top.

Éanna
22/02/2005, 1:40 PM
Pats are away twice to shells cork drogs derry Waterford & bray and ye don’t hear us complaining.
exactly. We're not the only ones

patsh
22/02/2005, 1:50 PM
I hope that they are 30 games WORTH covering. Some of the sh*te I've seen over the last few years will only turn people off!:(

Schumi
22/02/2005, 2:17 PM
Wow, this sounds brilliant! Hopefully there'll be a good quality and well timed highlights package too, as people above have said that's more important than the live games. I wonder if the viewing figures for Shels' European games caused a change in attitude in TV companies.

LFC in Exile
22/02/2005, 2:24 PM
Anyway, about the TV deal, what's so great about having four channels involved is that no Euro ties should be left uncovered now, so you wont have situations like last season where Corks inter toto run was largely ignored.

Oh Jaysuis. they're moaning enough over the fixtures - don't get them started on that! ;)

pete
22/02/2005, 2:44 PM
Cork City manager Pat Dolan is the latest figure to express his annoyance at the fixtures which were published on Saturday at the League's AGM.

Thats just Dolan moaning like all Managers (handy to have excuse later) & in that media article is no mention of City launching any campaign.

Brian Lennox was interviewed (see corkcityfc.ie) & said he had no problem with fixtures as all the same.

:rolleyes:

Poor Student
23/02/2005, 3:08 PM
I'm surprised that TG4 are getting in on the act. Anyone have any idea how this will work?

pete
23/02/2005, 9:03 PM
UP to 30 Eircom League games and FAI Cup ties are set to be screened live in a new television deal agreed by the FAI, writes Gerry McDermott.

This is all just rumour at the moment as nothing announced yet. Is Delaney just using as carrot for the eL to merge with the FAI.

I'd be surprised if this is a 1 season deal as probably a 3 year, 10 game a season deal. Notice the "Up to" section of quote. RTE probably showed 7-8 league & cup games last season anyway. TG4 element is the only real new information.

MariborKev
23/02/2005, 9:18 PM
If I was a Cork fan I would be investigating getting a judicial review on the NDP and the blantant discrimination in which roads set for improvement in the Munster area have been deliberately held up by the Dublin clubs :rolleyes:

4tothefloor
24/02/2005, 12:46 AM
Ah come on lads, Cork is the European City of Culture this year, so the least we can do is let them win the bloody league. :rolleyes: With all the arty crap going on down there that nobody has any interest in, at least a league title would give the ordinary Cork man something to celebrate..........Let's throw Dolan a bone (actually on second thoughts, that mightn't be such a good idea. He'd probably try to eat it)

Cosmo
24/02/2005, 7:24 AM
Maribor, I like it :D

corkharps
24/02/2005, 8:00 AM
I'm surprised that TG4 are getting in on the act. Anyone have any idea how this will work?
In Irish! :p

jimhacker
24/02/2005, 8:15 AM
Ah come on lads, Cork is the European City of Culture this year, so the least we can do is let them win the bloody league. :rolleyes: With all the arty crap going on down there that nobody has any interest in, at least a league title would give the ordinary Cork man something to celebrate..........Let's throw Dolan a bone (actually on second thoughts, that mightn't be such a good idea. He'd probably try to eat it)

What would you know about the so-called "arty crap" that "nobody has any interest in"?

That's just the sort of dismissive, philistine attitude that has rightly earned your town the reputation it enjoys -and so richly deserves.

Believe me, the "ordinary Corkman" (whoever he is) is getting along fine without your condescending attitude.

paudie
24/02/2005, 8:15 AM
Good to see TG4 involved. Their GAA National League coverage is excellent and they should have a lot of free airtime during the summer when RTE have the GAA rights.

I've thought for ages that EL live games should be offered free to TG4. Maybe they will show a live game from each round of the Cup or something.

jimhacker
24/02/2005, 8:21 AM
Good to see TG4 involved. Their GAA National League coverage is excellent and they should have a lot of free airtime during the summer when RTE have the GAA rights.

I've thought for ages that EL live games should be offered free to TG4. Maybe they will show a live game from each round of the Cup or something.

TG4 did a really good job on Celtic League rugby as well

observer
24/02/2005, 8:47 AM
Obviously Jim you are definately one of the "ordinary Corkmen". :p

jimhacker
24/02/2005, 10:49 AM
Obviously Jim you are definately one of the "ordinary Corkmen". :p

No, funnily enough I'm not -I'm a blow-in and no better lad to give them a good slaggin' when they deserve it, which is fairly often.

4tothefloor
24/02/2005, 1:39 PM
What would you know about the so-called "arty crap" that "nobody has any interest in"?

That's just the sort of dismissive, philistine attitude that has rightly earned your town the reputation it enjoys -and so richly deserves.

Believe me, the "ordinary Corkman" (whoever he is) is getting along fine without your condescending attitude.

Now, now, put the handbag away like a good girl. I know plenty down in Cork, from all walks of life, who can't stop complaining about how the City of Culture programme doesn't really mean anything to them. Obviously you're a cut above the rest Jim :D :D

BTW, Cork City has alot more scumbags and is alot more dangerous at night than Limerick will ever be. At least in Limerick you can go out for a night and not end up in a coma in hospital. Aren't ye the ones that are banning any sort of street drinking outside pubs and closing nightspots down early because ye can't control yourselves? City of Culture my a*se

jimhacker
24/02/2005, 3:26 PM
Now, now, put the handbag away like a good girl. I know plenty down in Cork, from all walks of life, who can't stop complaining about how the City of Culture programme doesn't really mean anything to them. Obviously you're a cut above the rest Jim :D :D

BTW, Cork City has alot more scumbags and is alot more dangerous at night than Limerick will ever be. At least in Limerick you can go out for a night and not end up in a coma in hospital. Aren't ye the ones that are banning any sort of street drinking outside pubs and closing nightspots down early because ye can't control yourselves? City of Culture my a*se

Turners Cross.

Cork City vs Bohs.

Music, humour, Mexican wave, full house etc etc.

Chomund Park.

Munster v Harlequins.

Announcer; " Would the owner of car reg. no xyz please return to it as it has been interfered with " (4 times during the game/4 different cars)

PLUS Garda helicopter hovering overhead all day.

Yeah- nice safe city alright.

4tothefloor
24/02/2005, 3:42 PM
Yeah- nice safe city alright.

I never said it was a safe city. Where's Chomund Park anyway? ;)

Danny
24/02/2005, 4:29 PM
from fai.ie

The Football Association of Ireland will announce details of a major TV rights agreement for domestic soccer with RTÉ, TG4, and Setanta at a media conference in the Mezzanine Suite, Jury's Hotel, Ballsbridge at 12.00 noon, Tomorrow, Friday 25th February.

eirebhoy
24/02/2005, 4:34 PM
from fai.ie

The Football Association of Ireland will announce details of a major TV rights agreement for domestic soccer with RTÉ, TG4, and Setanta at a media conference in the Mezzanine Suite, Jury's Hotel, Ballsbridge at 12.00 noon, Tomorrow, Friday 25th February.
Great News.

A face
24/02/2005, 7:20 PM
Great News.

Not so fast ... we haven't heard it yet !!

We can hardly give them credit for giving media conference now can we

Éanna
24/02/2005, 7:50 PM
We can hardly give them credit for giving media conference now can we
in fairness, when was the last time they even made that much of an effort :rolleyes:

A face
24/02/2005, 8:50 PM
in fairness, when was the last time they even made that much of an effort :rolleyes:

Point taken ..... but once bitten .... They had a press release for the licencing aswell, all over the place .... "22 clubs FAIL" .... ffs !!

pete
24/02/2005, 8:55 PM
from fai.ie

I'll reserve judgement for now.

Prediction:
- Setanta Cup will be included.
- RTE to show live game from each round of FAI Cup?
- RTE to show shel$ Champions League games
- RTE2, TG4 & Setanta to show 10 games between them, maybe some show as-live delayed by Setanta?

Éanna
24/02/2005, 10:14 PM
Point taken ..... but once bitten .... They had a press release for the licencing aswell, all over the place .... "22 clubs FAIL" .... ffs !!
believe me, I agree with you. When it comes to the FAI, my reaction to everything is "I'll believe it when i see it."

Buile Shuibhne
25/02/2005, 11:02 AM
Press Release

FAI agrees 30 game per year, 5 year TV rights agreement for domestic soccer with RTÉ, TG4, Setanta

400% increase in eircom League prize fund

Dublin, February 25th, 2005

The Football Association of Ireland has agreed a unique multi-broadcaster TV deal which will see more than 30 domestic soccer games televised each year and a €400,000 prize fund for the eircom League.

In a groundbreaking 5-year agreement, the games will be broadcast by three broadcasters – RTÉ, TG4 and Setanta Sports.

“This new TV package, together with a 400% increase in prizefunding represents a step change for domestic soccer”, said FAI Chief Executive Officer John Delaney. “Exposure of the game on TV is vital for the future of the game and the securing of this TV package represents a huge leap forward in terms of bringing the game into people’s homes”, he added.

“The FAI is delighted also to provide a 400% increase in prize money for the eircom League”, Delaney said. The total cash available to the League is now a record €400,000, up from €98,000 in 2004.

The key elements of the deal are:

Agreement is for 5 years through to end-2009 season
Minimum 29 matches to be broadcast during each season
Minimum 24 matches live, with 5 “as live”
RTÉ to screen 8 games live – 5 eircom League and Carlsberg FAI Cup
Setanta to screen 10 games, 5 live and 5 “as live”
TG4 to screen 11 games live – 7 eircom League and 4 Carlsberg FAI Cup
Record prize fund for eircom League increased by 400%
Total of €400,000 now on offer to eircom League clubs

Mr Delaney said that the deals announced today were “the most exciting and innovative package of measures to affect the domestic game for many years”. He paid tribute to all three broadcasters for supporting the domestic game so strongly and in a uniquely cooperative way.

“With the TV rights deal for international matches recently concluded, this agreement covering both the eircom League and the Carlsberg FAI Cup starts a new era for the game of football in Ireland and hopefully gives everyone a positive platform for real development of the game here at home”, Delaney added.

The TV agreement will include a minimum of 29 matches to be broadcast during the 2005 domestic season. At least 24 will be live with a minimum of 5 shown on as “as live” basis. The FAI expects that broadcasters will also take up options to transmit above this committed level and the final figure is likely to exceed 30 matches during the year.

The recently appointed Chairman of the eircom League, Paddy McCaul said the scale of the announcement was remarkable. “We are delighted that the FAI has used its strong commercial position to secure a really significant deal for the eircom League and the domestic game as a whole”, he said. “The exposure for the game, along with the cash injection gives the eircom League a huge boost”, he added.

Commenting on the agreement TG4 Ceannasaí, Pol Ó Gallchoir said “We are very pleased to be centrally involved in this innovative partnership with the FAI and colleague broadcasters. This exciting soccer deal extends significantly our channel’s coverage of top-class sport in Ireland,” he said.

Niall Cogley, Chief Executive, Setanta Sports, said; “We are delighted to add the eircom league to our already strong portfolio of football rights from both at home, through the Setanta Cup, and abroad. The partnership with the FAI and the eircom League is good news for Irish Soccer and good news for the viewers,” he concluded.

Glen Killane, RTÉ Head of Sport, said: "RTÉ are fully committed to the eircom League and to domestic soccer. We are delighted to be extending our partnership with the FAI in that respect, and we look forward to continuing to bring coverage to the widest possible audience".

Ends

ThatGuy
25/02/2005, 11:09 AM
And professional football in Ireland is kick-started

Ruairi
25/02/2005, 11:10 AM
Excellent news.

judging from the way TG4 did the national leagues and the celtic leagues, their coverage will be top notch. looking forward to it..

MariborKev
25/02/2005, 11:11 AM
Sounds the business

I know its early days yet lads but I for one will be sending a congratulatory email to each of the companies involved. I spent long enought badgering them about not enough coverage, only right to give credit where its due

pineapple stu
25/02/2005, 11:11 AM
“The FAI is delighted also to provide a 400% increase in prize money for the eircom League”, Delaney said. The total cash available to the League is now a record €400,000, up from €98,000 in 2004.
Muppet. That's a 300% increase! Innumerate clown... :rolleyes:

The key elements of the deal are:

Agreement is for 5 years through to end-2009 season
Minimum 29 matches to be broadcast during each season
Minimum 24 matches live, with 5 “as live”
RTÉ to screen 8 games live – 5 eircom League and Carlsberg FAI Cup
Setanta to screen 10 games, 5 live and 5 “as live”
TG4 to screen 11 games live – 7 eircom League and 4 Carlsberg FAI Cup
Record prize fund for eircom League increased by 400%
Total of €400,000 now on offer to eircom League clubs

This is great news though. The prize fund increase and the matches will hugely boost the game. However, where are TV3 gone? And if they're still doing eL weekly, will they have access to the above footage, which I would hope wouldn't look like it was filmed with a home video?

Still, surely one of the biggest and best announcements in eL history?

Poor Student
25/02/2005, 11:31 AM
What's the difference between live and "as live"? Is that some sort of euphemism for delayed coverage?

Sheridan
25/02/2005, 11:32 AM
What's the difference between live and "as live"? Is that some sort of euphemism for delayed coverage?
Yes. "As live" means deferred coverage of the full ninety minutes.