PDA

View Full Version : Worst away trip in the eL?

Pages : [1] 2

De Town
16/02/2005, 10:14 AM
Continuing on a thread from The Cork forum, What is the worst away trip in the eL?

For me, although you cant really call it a trip for Longford, Athlone is terrible. Its such a kip of a ground and its in a kip of an area. The only good thing for us is we always beat them :D

Honourable mentions to Bray, Dublin City (when at Whitehall), Dundalk, and UCD.

Maz
16/02/2005, 10:16 AM
Athlone & Bray!

Athlone is just a kip
Bray for reasons mentioned elsewhere cold, and annoyin kids!

Cosmo
16/02/2005, 10:26 AM
UCD :mad:

Macy
16/02/2005, 10:32 AM
Bray always was my worst - always freezing, little shíts running around causing grief (Friday night is Creche night I think the Bray Promo's say), uninterested stewards who do nothing... although that may change this season ;)

Tolka for CHF matches, don't actually mind it for Shels...

pineapple stu
16/02/2005, 10:40 AM
UCD :mad:
:D :D

If you're into drink (which is most of us here! :) ), the First Division away trips aren't that bad because at least they involve a trip down the country for a weekend. Except for Bray. Which is always cold and all those other points mentioned. So it gets my vote. Sorry!

Gareth
16/02/2005, 10:41 AM
Anytime I go to Drogheda its raining and windy and horrible. This once contributed to Tony Sheridan giving us a one nil win as their keeper fell on his ass whilst waiting for the ball to drop. But apart from that, its always a bad night when I go. Apart from that, Athlone. Its in the depths of hell!

Hibs4Ever
16/02/2005, 10:42 AM
Definitely UCD. No doubt about it.

Wiseguy
16/02/2005, 11:15 AM
Defo has to be St. Mels Park by a mile.Athlone is a hole of a Town and St. Mels park is a hole of a ground.The night we beat them 3 - 0 in the cup last season some little knackers called us scumbags!Pot,kettle,black and so on.

gspain
16/02/2005, 11:44 AM
My worst ever was a Cup replay in Drogheda in 1989. Really fancied our chances of winning the cup that year as we finished 3rd in the league and were in great form. Murdered them in the first match couldn't score and drew 0-0.

Took the day off and drove from Galway for the replay, went 1 up in the first minute, missed chance after chance and somehow contrived to lose 3-1. Got lost in the wilds of Meath, got sick from eating a dodgy burger in the town and had an absolutely miserable day all round.

Close 2nd was getting relegated in Monaghan in 94 although fair play to Billy Bagster coming out of the dugout and telling their fans to stop singing "going down going down" , wish he'd told his team to stop playing like bloody demons though with nothing to play for. :(

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2005, 12:08 PM
Well on the grounds that Drogheda now play in the evenings I'll give them an honourable mention, they were good for an afternoon session but the town looks awfully dodgy at night, and I don't like the ground.

Have to say Pats as the worst though, just edging out Bray because the latter has the Porter house. Too bloody awkward to get to Richer, don't like the ground and seats are a joke if you're taller than 5'7", and weather is often of Bray standards. As I'm eight inches taller than that I find them very annoying (bizarrely as a cumbersome gent I've never had issue with their width).

joey B
16/02/2005, 12:14 PM
You should try Croke Park,cramps like a bas*ard :mad:

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2005, 12:16 PM
Not in the same league as Richer, or most el grounds for that matter. It is a joke though that they'll take into account excessive girth in the width of most seats but the idea of someone above hobbit size being able to fit their legs, why that's crazy talk.

jimhacker
16/02/2005, 12:20 PM
You should try Croke Park,cramps like a bas*ard :mad:

Whose home ground is that?

Éanna
16/02/2005, 12:22 PM
dublin in general. the traffic, the little scuts in nearly every ground and the fact that we seem to be there every second week, I'm just sick of the place.

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2005, 12:22 PM
Well just to be nerdy it used to be Crokes hurling club home ground before they merged with Kilmacud (didn't play their home games there for a long, long time though!!!).

Cosmo
16/02/2005, 12:26 PM
'Well on the grounds that Drogheda now play in the evenings I'll give them an honourable mention, they were good for an afternoon session but the town looks awfully dodgy at night'

Ah ye pussy ;)

pineapple stu
16/02/2005, 12:29 PM
Don't worry about him...sure the last time he was up, we got a coach so he wasn't even knocking around the town at all! ;)

NY Hoop
16/02/2005, 12:29 PM
dublin in general. the traffic, the little scuts in nearly every ground and the fact that we seem to be there every second week, I'm just sick of the place.

Poor baby! Unlike a corkman to be whinging about the capital :D

Worst away trip is monaghan without a shadow of a doubt. Total kip should'nt be even in the league.

KOH

pineapple stu
16/02/2005, 12:31 PM
Worst away trip is monaghan without a shadow of a doubt. Total kip should'nt be even in the league.
Very harsh...Cobh and Athlone are surely worse? Even, whisper it, Finn Park is more of a dump?!

De Town
16/02/2005, 12:32 PM
Don't worry about him...sure the last time he was up, we got a coach so he wasn't even knocking around the town at all! ;)
You got a coach for 3 people :confused:

dublinred
16/02/2005, 12:34 PM
Whose home ground is that?

Bohs used to play there years ago.

pineapple stu
16/02/2005, 12:34 PM
You got a coach for 3 people :confused:
:rolleyes:

Bit old, isn't it?

15, I think. I was in Basel at the time.

anto eile
16/02/2005, 12:47 PM
u.c.d.

Cosmo
16/02/2005, 1:03 PM
'Don't worry about him...sure the last time he was up, we got a coach so he wasn't even knocking around the town at all!'

And there was me thinking he was one of the p_-sed lads that got kicked out of the trinity arms earlier on that day :rolleyes:

Éanna
16/02/2005, 1:06 PM
Poor baby! Unlike a corkman to be whinging about the capital :D
If you had to travel down to Cork every 2 or 3 weeks, I guarantee you you'd be sick of the sight of the place- if just for the journey alone. And anyway, I was whinging about Dublin, not the capital ;)

Passive
16/02/2005, 1:17 PM
Every game is an away trip for Rovers.

pineapple stu
16/02/2005, 1:21 PM
And there was me thinking he was one of the p_-sed lads that got kicked out of the trinity arms earlier on that day :rolleyes:
When was this? Sounds like the doings of the drunken 16-year-olds... :)

Neish
16/02/2005, 1:22 PM
Of the grounds I've been too Bray fecking frezzing have to spend a fortune on soup or tea. and the little **** wits who stir ****.

joey B
16/02/2005, 1:25 PM
Jesus whats finn park then :D

Schumi
16/02/2005, 1:33 PM
When was this? Sounds like the doings of the drunken 16-year-olds... :)
Strangely enough... :D

Slash/ED
16/02/2005, 2:40 PM
If you had to travel down to Cork every 2 or 3 weeks, I guarantee you you'd be sick of the sight of the place

You don't have to goto Cork every 2 or 3 weeks to be sick of the sight of the place :p

the 12 th man
16/02/2005, 2:46 PM
tra na locha (fanad utd)
not strictly an e/l ground but you might get them in da cup.

middle of nowhere

carrickharp
16/02/2005, 2:47 PM
Bray, Athlone and UCD

harpskid
16/02/2005, 2:49 PM
Fine wee set up they have for an intermediate club in Triacha A Locha though 12th man.

My worst away trips have to be Athlone and Bray!

De Town
16/02/2005, 2:58 PM
tra na locha (fanad utd)
not strictly an e/l ground but you might get them in da cup.

middle of nowhere
Where is Fanad United? (County)

the 12 th man
16/02/2005, 2:59 PM
Where is Fanad United? (County)

donegal :)

have a look .next stop: north pole :D

harpskid
16/02/2005, 2:59 PM
Donegal.

They play in the USL

De Town
16/02/2005, 3:05 PM
donegal :)

have a look .next stop: north pole :D
Anywhere in Donegal is hard to find.

The day of the relegation/promotion play-off, we went up through Enniskillen and once we got out the far side of Enniskillen, we were driving through forests for about an hour and a half with sheep wandering across the road. We were there sayin to ourself, were the fcuk are we, we come to the end of this road, and we are right beside Finn Park :D :D :D

carrickharp
16/02/2005, 3:37 PM
I had the honour of winning the half time draw at Belfield last season, the prize? A €1.00 plastic watch with a dodgy picture of Ireland on it (tickets were €2.00!!) :eek:

Éanna
16/02/2005, 3:42 PM
You don't have to goto Cork every 2 or 3 weeks to be sick of the sight of the place :p
nearly an hour and a half before one of ye came up with that. I'm amazed it took so long. :)

corkharps
16/02/2005, 3:46 PM
Don't like slaggin off other clubs,but with the news that Limerick are to return to Rathbane,can I urge everybody to visit 'The Spinning Wheel' public house across the road.Delightful spot,friendly locals! :eek:

the 12 th man
16/02/2005, 3:47 PM
I had the honour of winning the half time draw at Belfield last season, the prize? A €1.00 plastic watch with a dodgy picture of Ireland on it (tickets were €2.00!!) :eek:

:D :D
just wondering,was that the top prize ? :rolleyes: :D

Longfordian
16/02/2005, 3:49 PM
You should take part in our half time draw you might win a kettle or a toaster 'with roll warmer' ooohh..or maybe a water cooler

Pablo
16/02/2005, 4:33 PM
nearly an hour and a half before one of ye came up with that. I'm amazed it took so long. :)

Had to go and get his Methadone ;)

gael353
16/02/2005, 5:33 PM
Don't like slaggin off other clubs,but with the news that Limerick are to return to Rathbane,can I urge everybody to visit 'The Spinning Wheel' public house across the road.Delightful spot,friendly locals! :eek:

dear jesus who told you to go in there? never ever go in there. True its the closest pub but be fair to yourself and head into town or on any of the main roads in or out of limerick there are some great pubs with the best of people in there.

BohsFans
16/02/2005, 8:44 PM
Always hated Dundalk myself!

Can't think why, maybe it was:

Being chased down the road by a bottle and stone wheal ding gang
or
maybe it was the racist abuse our players get up there
or
the cans of cider that get ****ed at you from the shed throughout the game
or
a classic was when we were up there for an FAI Cup game 2 yrs ago and the train was stopped before the station and the driver came on saying that all Bohs fans should get off the train before the station because of a mob on the platform!

Lim till i die
17/02/2005, 12:54 PM
dear jesus who told you to go in there? never ever go in there. True its the closest pub but be fair to yourself and head into town or on any of the main roads in or out of limerick there are some great pubs with the best of people in there.

The Steering Wheel is a lovely spot after match kareoke and everything :D :eek: :D

Mad Moose
17/02/2005, 1:17 PM
got sick from eating a dodgy burger in the town

Another unreported food poisoning statistic. Hope ya got in touch with your local Environmental Health Service. Here name and shame and pm me the details.

Brendan

Wiseguy
17/02/2005, 1:31 PM
Yeah i'd have to agree with the Bohs fan about Dundalk.It's full of little knackers just waiting to start trouble.I played a match up there years ago and the little sh1ts were throwing stones at us on the fecking pitch.I got evacuated out of a hotel because of a bomb scare.I nearly got arrested for kicking a pringles tube while all around me people were killing one another and i went to the Ark niteclub only to discover that it was a dump and smelled of feet.So please god Dundalk won't be promoted anytime soon.

BohDiddley
17/02/2005, 1:49 PM
Was Cork on the map? :D