PDA

View Full Version : Keane Vs. Vieira

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
02/02/2005, 6:58 PM
Did ye all see it? :D :D . That was great and see Keane's interview afterwards? Classic!

Read it:http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2005051748,00.html

ROY KEANE accused Patrick Vieira of trying to intimidate his team-mates as United ended Arsenal’s title dream.

The two skippers had to be pulled apart in the tunnel BEFORE kick-off.

Keane claimed the incident erupted when Vieira exchanged words with United defender Gary Neville.

The Republic of Ireland star said: “I said to him ‘Come and have a go at me’. Patrick Vieira is 6ft 4in and he said something about Gary.

“When people try and intimidate my team-mates I can’t have that.

“They think Gary Neville is an easy target and I’m not having that.”

United manager Alex Ferguson said: “I’ve heard different stories about what happened but I’m told Patrick Vieira threatened some of my players — so he was fired up.”

Vieira denied he tried to intimidate Neville or any United players.

The French international said: “Gary Neville is a big boy and can look after himself.

“I didn’t try and intimidate him or anybody else and I don’t want to say any more about it. Congratulations to them.”

The FA today confirmed they will not charge either side for the fracas.

They said: “We have received a report from referee Graham Poll following last night’s Arsenal v Manchester United Premier League fixture in relation to an incident in the tunnel prior to the match.

“He has confirmed that he is satisfied that he dealt with the incident at the time. Therefore no further action is required.”

Ferguson and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger agreed defeat ended the Gunners’ hopes of defending their title.

Chelsea will go 11 points clear of United and 13 ahead of the Gunners if they win at Blackburn tonight.

And Wenger said: “We will not give up but now it is too far.

“There is still a small chance for United but not for us — we have our pride to play for.

“I don’t want to blame the goalkeeper but you cannot concede four goals at home and expect to win the game.

“The third proved to be the killer.”

Ferguson said: “Both managers said before the game that whoever lost would have no chance of the title — and we won. So that’s it for them.

“We showed great mental strength and it was a fantastic performance by us. We came from behind twice and that’s a measure of our performance.

“We could still win all our games and it may still not be enough but it showed we are in great form and if Chelsea slip up we are in great shape.”

Keane added: “Chelsea are doing well but we’ll keep going and see what happens.

“If Silvestre hadn’t been sent off we could have gone on and scored even more.”

Éanna
02/02/2005, 7:17 PM
Keane is pathetic. He was like your most common scumbag throwing shapes on the street inside a pub- "I'll see ya out there". Pathetic.

IsMiseSean
02/02/2005, 9:58 PM
I'm not Keane's biggest fan, but fair play to him for stickin' up for his team-mates even if it is Gary Neville!

Éanna
02/02/2005, 10:41 PM
who the hell would stick up for neville. he's an obnoxious little **** and deserves a good kick anyway.

anyway, its one thing sticking up for a team mate- throwing shapes and making threats like a street hoodlum is another matter- the preserve of scum like Keane

Gary
02/02/2005, 10:50 PM
Keane totally psyched out Vieire before the game, and Vieira bottled it on the pitch.

I wouldnt be Keanes biggest fan, but last night he put the sh*ts up the entire Arsenal team before Kick off, and you could see it in their play.

Éanna
02/02/2005, 10:57 PM
Keane did what he did, and it worked. he's an excellent player, and is also very very good at getting an advantage for his team psychologically. I just happen to think his behaviour is pathetic- not saying it doesn't work, but surely professional, grown men can rise above childish crap like this.

thecorner
03/02/2005, 12:02 AM
leave eanna go off on his rant... he doesnt understand the word legend

roll on the next part of the saga at landsdowne road

go on keano ya legend

thecorner
03/02/2005, 12:03 AM
p.s. eanna

not once here have a seen u having a go off vieira who was also involved or is this just ur monthly anti-keane rant

Éanna
03/02/2005, 12:06 AM
leave eanna go off on his rant... he doesnt understand the word legend
Did you not see the bit where I said what a good player he was? Just cos I can't stand the guy doesn't mean I think he's crap!

anyway, for the record, Vieira was out of order too. He just about stopped short of making a total show of himself, unlike Keane.

thecorner
03/02/2005, 3:17 AM
Yeah,the same legend who supports Celtic(Glasgow) ;)

but also went missing in Japan before WC2002(& later 'into bed with',a slimy c*nt like Grum-phy),got himself suspended for the '99 CL Final,nearly ended his own career(Poetic justice,anyone?) in a spat with an EPL journeyman & generally behaved like a bully/thug trying to illegally intimidate others(inc.refs.),whilst playing for ManUre.....W*nker :mad:

Plus he's the worst possible ad.for Corcaigh,exc.his auld fella...... :eek:

Sympathies to the locals...... :(

hold it there for a second...ah...thats right.. chip removed now bud ;)

anyway, for the record, Vieira was out of order too.

ah!! nice of u to finally spot vieira's involvement

razor
03/02/2005, 7:56 AM
There has been no mention anywhere of what initially happenend to kick the whole thing off between Vieira and Neville.
Neville is a mouthy little ballbag who is more than capable of looking after himself, probably intimidates refs more than Keane.
Vieira is an eejit too and a shadow of the player he once was.
Keane must have had a fight with the wife before the match or something cos he was still wound up even after the game, poor oul Geoff Shreeves must have been bricking it, good job he had a bottle of champers for him.
I hope the Israelis were watching. ;)

Eire06
03/02/2005, 8:52 AM
I think what Keane did was right he's the captain and if other players are trying to intimidate your players you do something about it....

And that he did, I'd say the half the Arsenal team were s***in themselves..

Personally I think that is one of the great things about Keane the first class ability of intimidating and bringing fear into the players of the other team... A lot of the game is about Pyscology and he does it well....
Ya admittidly he does go a bit too far at times and Yes I'd say Neville is gettin some stick about his 'minder' but I'd say Keane would have done the same for any of his players...

It was apparantly started by Arsenal to intimidate Man U players and it backfired on themselves...

Fair play to Keane he is truly a Legend

Stuttgart88
03/02/2005, 9:26 AM
I think Gerrard & Keane have more skill than you give them credit for. Ince was just a bully who didn't have the talent to match his ego. He cowered away from taking a penalty in Euro '96 despite being a much better ball striker than Southgate.

Although I'm an Arsenal fan, I took great encouragement from Keane's performance. MUFC as a team were second best in the first half but Keane's influence grew and grew.

That's Gerrard & Vieira he's got the better of recently, though having an experienced midfield partner also helped. If Keane, Kilbane & Duff can maintain their current level of form then our midfield is looking in great shape.

Eire06
03/02/2005, 9:30 AM
Thuggery/intimidation may be important in the modern game, but personally one of the great things I like about football, the beautiful game, is technical ability and skill. Not a big fan of the Inces, Battys, Gerrards and Keanes.

Don't get me wrong I don't think players should be constantly taking chunks out of each other..
Of course its the technical ability and skill of players that makes the game.. sure no-one would watch the matches with out it...
I just think Psycology is a factor in soccer and certain players do it well....

Macy
03/02/2005, 9:30 AM
Thuggery/intimidation may be important in the modern game, but personally one of the great things I like about football, the beautiful game, is technical ability and skill. Not a big fan of the Inces, Battys, Gerrards and Keanes.
Think your overplaying the incidents, of the latter two especially, as compared to their overall game. Are you saying that Keane doesn't have technical ability and skill? I think you're letting your obvious dislike for the man override your football mind....

thecorner
03/02/2005, 9:37 AM
The same chip that's displayed,any time your lot play a team from outside Corcaigh;Shels spring to mind ;)

surprise surprise

you actually do know that the league of ireland exists :eek:

Colm
03/02/2005, 9:59 AM
I just happen to think his behaviour is pathetic- not saying it doesn't work, but surely professional, grown men can rise above childish crap like this.

There's nothing childish about it if it gains an advantage for your team. Surely it is a very professional thing to do if it helps you win the game.

I thought it was a bit strange though, almost as if it was all staged by Sky Sports to add to the pre match hype. I know it obviously wasn't but it had shades of a WWE promo or a boxing press conference about it!

thecorner
03/02/2005, 10:00 AM
Shams ;)

dont worry,a lot more out there just the same as you :D

Macy
03/02/2005, 10:09 AM
You must admit that Ryan Giggs playing well is a better spectacle for a football purist than Roy Keane playing well.
Obviously, but then the football purist tends to forget the need to win the ball, supply it to the dribblers, etc. And Keane can play a killer pass - produces a hell of a lot more than Ryan "Contracts up, better start playing" Giggs....

thecorner
03/02/2005, 10:10 AM
Huh? :confused: :rolleyes:

most people on here probably havent been to shams ground

thecorner
03/02/2005, 10:34 AM
Fair enough,seen them,er,@ the RDS & Dalymount....... :o

also saw them when their home ground was turners cross ;)

Eire06
03/02/2005, 10:42 AM
HI I just got mailed a video clip of the tunnel incident its class can I post it up there how do I do it...

Bluebeard
03/02/2005, 11:06 AM
I think that the point that has been missed is that if it had happened in the Bolton v Tottenham game that same evening, there would certainly have been a fine. Indeed had it happened in a Kilkenny v Athlone Leinster Senior Cup game, there would be an inquiry at the FAI or at least the LFA, and probably some kind of fine, as rightly there should be (and we all know that this is a match highly unlikely to be televised).

It strikes me that there were two forms of intimitdation going on - that of Keane vs. Vieira (with that Neville twerp wetting himself somewhere nearby) and Big Moneyed Clubs vs. Referees, the FA and the Rules. As Colm said, it was very WWE, to the point that it also helped the pre-match build up, and helped cause the "entertainment", as is said in another thread, I think, which is well in keeping with the Sky hype. I presume that the game was live - was the incident?

On a side issue, someone said that though it was an ugly incident, it was a "professional" action on Keane's part in order to help his team win the match. This suggests that the actions of Vieira, and presumably Neville, were also professional, but less successful. It also reminds me that you can be sent off for a "professional" foul because it is committed outside the spirit of the game.

I would agree that the beautiful game needs the Vieiras, Keanes, Dungas and John Reynors to win the ball, but if memory serves, the many of the great choppers were decent men off the field, and in the tunnel. Behaviour off the field like that is unacceptible at any level from World Cup Final to parents at an under 9s league match. IMO, both managers have a lot to answer for to boot, having manufactured and stage managed this bitterness over the last 6 or so years.

Rant concluded for the time being, but I warn yis....

eirebhoy
03/02/2005, 11:06 AM
Keane is pathetic. He was like your most common scumbag throwing shapes on the street inside a pub- "I'll see ya out there". Pathetic.
He was saying "I'll see you out there", ie. let the football do the talking.

here it is:
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Un-edited%20Tunnel

One things for certain, it has certainly given us a big advantage against France. If Vieira is intimidated in Highbury, imagine what he'll be like in Dublin. Plus, he's captain and his anxiety will rub off on the inexperienced players.

SÓC
03/02/2005, 11:07 AM
On the pitch Keane .v. Vieara was clearly won by Keane. My worry would be that Paddy will be out for revenge when they meet again in October.

Also Keane's two best displays ever (.v. Juve and Holland) send his teams on to glory, but he missed them both. Vieara's been there and achieved it.

eirebhoy
03/02/2005, 11:09 AM
Bluebeard - Half the players on the pitch were punished for the handbags when van Nistlerooy missed a peno against Arsenal. A worse brawl involving punches happened (Andy Cole was involved, think it was against Soton) and nothing was done about it. Believe it or not the big teams get punished a lot harder than the smaller ones.

thecorner
03/02/2005, 11:14 AM
Also Keane's two best displays ever (.v. Juve and Holland) send his teams on to glory, but he missed them both.

dont understand :confused: :confused:

eirebhoy
03/02/2005, 11:25 AM
dont understand :confused: :confused:
Keane single handedly got Man U to the final of the CL and was suspended for it. We probably wouldn't have got to the WC without him and he missed that too. :)

thecorner
03/02/2005, 11:30 AM
We probably wouldn't have got to the WC without him and he missed that too. :)

true but cant understand the glory part about the world cup :confused:

Macy
03/02/2005, 11:38 AM
glorious failure, what else would get the thousands out in the park :rolleyes:

Karlos
03/02/2005, 11:46 AM
Just read a report here today about the tunnel incident which claims the argy bargy started as a result of the Manchester Utd's team failure to wear the 'anti-racism' sweatshirts that nike had provided for both clubs for use when the team entered the pitch. Arsenal wore the black tops in the tunnel with Manchester United chossing to wear their jerseys instead. it is sugeested that the row escalated firther when G.Neville was confronted by Vieira over the failure of the players to co-operate and then the argument became personal which is where neville's mammy joined in the fun.

TV images do show Arsenal in the black tops and Utd not wearing them - they had no choice with the jerseys as they were pre-printed with the logo. Apparently Ferdinand who is associated with the 'Stand Up Speak Up' programme has apologised to all concerned with the programme in private. I'll post up a link to the article as soon it's forwarded on to me by my source. Can't say for certain if it's the truth but then again can't be sure if Keane is telling the truth now either or does so-called 'LEGEND' status gaurantee truth at all times.

thecorner
03/02/2005, 11:50 AM
Just read a report here today about the tunnel incident which claims the argy bargy started as a result of the Manchester Utd's team failure to wear the 'anti-racism' sweatshirts that nike had provided for both clubs for use when the team entered the pitch. Arsenal wore the black tops in the tunnel with Manchester United chossing to wear their jerseys instead. it is sugeested that the row escalated firther when G.Neville was confronted by Vieira over the failure of the players to co-operate and then the argument became personal which is where neville's mammy joined in the fun.

TV images do show Arsenal in the black tops and Utd not wearing them - they had no choice with the jerseys as they were pre-printed with the logo. Apparently Ferdinand who is associated with the 'Stand Up Speak Up' programme has apologised to all concerned with the programme in private. I'll post up a link to the article as soon it's forwarded on to me by my source. Can't say for certain if it's the truth but then again can't be sure if Keane is telling the truth now either or does so-called 'LEGEND' status gaurantee truth at all times.
this must be definitly true

after all, dont RVN and rio ferdinand appear in the ad

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Karlos
03/02/2005, 12:00 PM
I never said it was true, i said it's plausible - it's clear that Man Utd aren't wearing the 'Stand Up Speak Up' sweatshirts in the tunnel. It could have been that they merely forgot to waer them and it could also have been enough to prompt a player involved in the programme to make a comment to an opposition player that escalated further into the tunnel row, would you not agree??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's every bit as likely to have happened as anything else until we find out the truth (oh and not the truth according to roy keane!) - infact there's as much visual evidenece of this as any other story out there at present! :)

fosterdollar
03/02/2005, 12:02 PM
It's every bit as likely to have happened as anything else until we find out the truth (oh and not the truth according to roy keane!) - infact there's as much visual evidenece of this as any other story out there at present! :)

How has RK given conflicting reports to your suggestion? He said Viera was shooting his mouth off / having a go at GN. Maybe thats what he was getting so uptight about

SÓC
03/02/2005, 12:07 PM

Sorry ment that getting to the world cup was the 'glory' part!

Stuttgart88
03/02/2005, 12:10 PM
On the pitch Keane .v. Vieara was clearly won by Keane. My worry would be that Paddy will be out for revenge when they meet again in October.

Also Keane's two best displays ever (.v. Juve and Holland) send his teams on to glory, but he missed them both. Vieara's been there and achieved it.

I think it's hard to contend that Roy Kean hasn't been there and achieved it. And regradless of who you think is the better player, Vieira can't come close to Keane's consistency.

Vieira was barely involved in the 98WC Final. He won Euro 2000 alright, as part of an excellent side close to its peak.

I'm not a Roy Keane apologist but he would never have settled for the standard of performances Vieira & Gerrard have put in in recent tournament finals though.

I also think Roy Keane's performance at home to Portugal was even better than the Holland game, but that's just an opinion.

Karlos
03/02/2005, 12:11 PM
What i mean is that Keane has suggested that Vieria entered the tunnel with the sole purpose of winding up Neville. He might have done but he also might not have. We don't know who started the row unless we believe Roy Keane - Maybe Neville replied in threatening manor to a simple question over a sweatshirt.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this is the series of events but it amazes me how one player says something and evryone just agrees and doesn't stop to think, well maybe that didn't happen like that, maybe he's covering up for his mate. Vieira said he didn't threaten Neville, so why should we believe Keane over him or vice versa - nobody knows and all this is PURE speculation.

Macy
03/02/2005, 12:12 PM
So it took 2 days to come out with this "story"? Why didn't they just say so in the post game press conference?

thecorner
03/02/2005, 12:16 PM
So it took 2 days to come out with this "story"? Why didn't they just say so in the post game press conference?
both boards probably agreed not to comment :D :D :D :D

Karlos
03/02/2005, 12:20 PM

Maybe they took a leaf out of sir Alex's books who took 4 months to give the REAL story on the Old Trafford bust up!!!!! :D :D :D

thecorner
03/02/2005, 12:21 PM
back on topic here about keane and vieira

anybody else surprised that vieira actually stood there and took it off him??

Karlos
03/02/2005, 12:31 PM
Not surprised at all - his disiplinary record has been excellent over the last two years and generally hasn't reacted to extreme provacation as he had done in the past with the likes of Ruddock etc. The last big disipline probelm he had was after he was sent off for not kicking Ruud 'dying swan' van Nistelrooy (i bet if he could turn back time he would actually make the sending off worthwhile!! :D )

Macy
03/02/2005, 12:33 PM
The last big disipline probelm he had was after he was sent off for not kicking Ruud 'dying swan' van Nistelrooy (i bet if he could turn back time he would actually make the sending off worthwhile!! :D )
You mean trying to kick RvN but missing, obviously.

Longfordian
03/02/2005, 12:36 PM
If I remember rightly Van Nistelrooy jumped out of the way of Vieira's swinging boot..fail to see how that's dying swan like, he didn't roll around pretending there was contact like Vieira on Tuesday, when there clearly wasn't any

thecorner
03/02/2005, 12:40 PM
see here (http://dangerhere.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11188&sid=689a958460b99d4f710aaed17e01a73d) Karlos for the perfect dive

and oh my god...is that mr vieira :D

Karlos
03/02/2005, 1:03 PM
oh my god it is!

I should go get the Rooney, Neville, Scholes & Van Nistelrooy collection out but I fear theirs not enough room in the thread and i'm probably not that PETTY after all!!! :D :D

so that's Pires, Vieira and Diouf then - the only divers in the Premiership! :p

Macy
03/02/2005, 1:06 PM
oh my god it is!

I should go get the Rooney, Neville, Scholes & Van Nistelrooy collection out but I fear theirs not enough room in the thread and i'm probably not that PETTY after all!!! :D :D
Yeah, by the time we retaliate with Pires, Bergkamp, Onrey, Reyes, Vieira the whole of foot.ie will crash.

Junior
03/02/2005, 1:07 PM
I think the tunnel incident has created a massive over reaction on here. In a nutshell ' a player directed a bit of bad language at another player in the tunnel' no big deal - I think people are just taking themselves all a bit too seriously. And we accuse SKY of looking to sensationalise it!!!

I recall Kavanagh giving old Yakin a bit of the verbals not too long back and receiving great acclaim for it "stealy midfielder", "commitment", "just what we needed"

Lads you want to take all the fun out of it ;)

Karlos
03/02/2005, 1:08 PM
Yeah, by the time we retaliate with Pires, Bergkamp, Onrey, Reyes, Vieira the whole of foot.ie will crash.

you forgot Cole!! :D

Macy
03/02/2005, 1:13 PM
I think you'll find he didn't kick Ruud just like Makellelle wild swing which didn't make contact with anyone at Old Trafford last week didn't warrant a sending off!! CONSISTANCY! :mad:
I never said he did kick RvN, but he was trying too. He was hardly Mr Innocent in all that.