PDA

View Full Version : Football Questions..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

Hitman
03/03/2005, 11:18 AM
I'm warning in advance that I'm not sure if there's an answer to this question, never mind one that I know.

Name the player who scored a hat trick for his country on his senior debut in his country's 1st world cup qualifying match and was never picked again.

Longfordian
03/03/2005, 12:39 PM
Is it Ashley Ward?

Ashley Ward is the answer I have, relegated with Norwich, Barnsley, Blackburn, Derby and Bradford seemingly.

Kerry Blue
03/03/2005, 5:30 PM
You are correct about Sivora. He was Argentinian but played for Italy in 1962 under the name SIVORI.

The answer is ;

ALFREDO DI STEFANO

I assumed he played for Spain in 62, but although in the squad, he never played a minute.
Correct!
Di Stefano did go to Chile but never played due to injury.
As you already said the others were Best, Weah, Nedved and Shevchenko.

mypost
16/03/2005, 4:47 AM
Liverpool won 9-0 against Crystal Palace in September 1989. What was the score of Liverpool's next league game?

One country led a game 1-0 and were 1 minute away from qualifying for the 1996 European Championships. Then they conceded an equalizer. They had 2 games left to play in their group after that, yet they still failed to qualify for the finals. Who were they?

Kerry Blue got them right. After trouncing Palace 9-0, the following Saturday saw us draw 0-0 at home to Norwich. Any disappointment was forgotten the following week when we won the derby at Goodison, 3-1. ;)

In August 1995, Norway played the Czech Republic at home in the Euro' 96 qualifiers. There were 3 games remaining in the group, and Norway would have qualified for the finals if they won. They took a first half lead, but the Czechs equalized in the last minute. Norway went on to lose their remaining two games in Prague, and Rotterdam, and missed out on the finals completely, while the Czechs qualified as group winners, followed later by Holland after they won the play-off in Liverpool.

Against who, and when, did Michael Owen score his first goal for Liverpool at Anfield?

How many league goals did World Cup '90 top scorer Salvatore Schillaci score for Juventus in the 1990/91 season?

pineapple stu
16/03/2005, 8:30 AM
Against who, and when, did Michael Owen score his first goal for Liverpool at Anfield?
Was it a penalty against Wimbledon? Back at the end of the 1997/98 season?

colblimp
17/03/2005, 8:28 PM
I, er, don't have any answers but I have a relatively easy question.

In the 1985 tragic Bradford City main stand fire, 50 fans were killed. Who were Bradford playing that day? :confused:

Superhoops
17/03/2005, 8:41 PM
In the 1985 tragic Bradford City main stand fire, 50 fans were killed. Who were Bradford playing that day? :confused:
Lincoln City?

Thunderblaster
18/03/2005, 8:19 PM
Name the last non-league team to win the FA Cup?

colblimp
18/03/2005, 10:59 PM
Lincoln City?

Well done, I didn't think anyone would get that.

OK, here's another. Very hard...

On what date was the English Football League formed? :eek:

lopez
18/03/2005, 11:06 PM
Name the last non-league team to win the FA Cup?Tottenham Hotspur of the Southern League.

Thunderblaster
19/03/2005, 12:14 AM
Tottenham Hotspur of the Southern League.

Bang on! 1905.
Name the first Asian side to compete in the finals of the World Cup?

Duncan Gardner
19/03/2005, 12:59 PM
Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia), 1938.

Superhoops
19/03/2005, 4:41 PM
On what date was the English Football League formed? :eek:
Formed 22 March 1888 - first games 8 September 1888

pineapple stu
19/03/2005, 5:30 PM
Hmmm...seems to correct one of my earlier questions too re the countries to have changed their name since playing in the World Cup...I had the Dutch East Indies down as being the Netherlands Antilles...

Thunderblaster
19/03/2005, 7:31 PM

Ten out of ten

mypost
20/03/2005, 5:35 AM
Was it a penalty against Wimbledon? Back at the end of the 1997/98 season?

Michael Owen scored his first goal for Liverpool, at Wimbledon in May 1997. However, it would be a while before he scored his first for Liverpool, at Anfield. Keep trying with that, and the Toto Schillaci question...

pineapple stu
20/03/2005, 12:21 PM
Michael Owen scored his first goal for Liverpool, at Wimbledon in May 1997. However, it would be a while before he scored his first for Liverpool, at Anfield. Keep trying with that, and the Toto Schillaci question...
Ah...still, I'm impressed/disturbed I got that right!

So the two questions you actually asked...haven't a club, to be honest. I'd only be guessing really.

Kerry Blue
20/03/2005, 4:32 PM
How many league goals did World Cup '90 top scorer Salvatore Schillaci score for Juventus in the 1990/91 season?
Schillaci scored 5 league goals for Juventus in 1990/91. He got 1 each against Inter and Pisa and a hat-trick against Roma.

Questions:
1. Which 3 Republic of Ireland players had the same squad numbers at two different World Cups?

2. When was the last time that neither Celtic nor Rangers finished in the top 2 in the Scottish League and who were the top two teams that season?

3. Who was the first ever player to miss a penalty in a penalty shoot-out at the World Cup?

Superhoops
20/03/2005, 7:14 PM
1. Which 3 Republic of Ireland players had the same squad numbers at two different World Cups?
I think there are actually 5 players

Pat Bonner - No.1 - 1990 and 1994
Ray Houghton - No.8 - 1990 and 1994
John Aldridge - No.9 - 1990 and 1994
Niall Quinn - No. 17 - 1990 and 2002

Roy Keane - No.6 - 1994 and 2002, although we all know he did not go to Japan, I think you will find he was the allocated No.6 in the squad.

Who was the first ever player to miss a penalty in a penalty shoot-out at the World Cup?
Uli Steilike - West Germany v France - WC Semi-final in 1982 in Spain

Poor Student
21/03/2005, 11:23 AM
Questions:

2. When was the last time that neither Celtic nor Rangers finished in the top 2 in the Scottish League and who were the top two teams that season?

1982/83: Dundee United 1st, Aberdeen 2nd.

Kerry Blue
21/03/2005, 6:51 PM
I think there are actually 5 players

Pat Bonner - No.1 - 1990 and 1994
Ray Houghton - No.8 - 1990 and 1994
John Aldridge - No.9 - 1990 and 1994
Niall Quinn - No. 17 - 1990 and 2002

Roy Keane - No.6 - 1994 and 2002, although we all know he did not go to Japan, I think you will find he was the allocated No.6 in the squad.

Uli Steilike - West Germany v France - WC Semi-final in 1982 in Spain
I actually missed Niall Quinn. :o As for Roy Keane, I did know that he was assigned the no. 6 shirt for 2002, but he wasn't actually at the World Cup.

Uli Stielike is correct.

Kerry Blue
21/03/2005, 7:00 PM
1982/83: Dundee United 1st, Aberdeen 2nd.
Celtic finished 2nd in 1982/83, not Aberdeen.

Closed Account 2
22/03/2005, 4:21 PM
What happens, in terms of qualification for next years CL if Everton finish fourth but Liverpool win the Champions League ?

stojkovic
22/03/2005, 4:44 PM
What happens, in terms of qualification for next years CL if Everton finish fourth but Liverpool win the Champions League ?
Its not only this year but every year.
UEFA ask the FA for their four representatives to play in the CL.
It is usually 1,2,3 and 4 in the league.
The CL holders do not qualify automatically but the FA have said (i believe) that if Liverpool win the CL and come 5th that they will put them forward for the Champions league and Everton will go to the UEFA Cup.

That is what I have heard, I am open to contradiction if anyone knows any different.

Closed Account 2
22/03/2005, 6:20 PM
Yeah, thats correct 4 is the max number of teams from any association that can play in the CL. And if there is a clash (eg Everton 4th, Liverpool 5th but CL winners) then the FA would have to pick which team would go into the CL and which into the UEFA. It hasnt happened so far in the CL, but could happen this year with Liverpool, Inter and Bayern (but they would have to drop a lot of points).

Kerry Blue
22/03/2005, 6:44 PM
The FA needn't be too worried. Liverpool won't win the CL this year. :)

Aberdonian Stu
23/03/2005, 8:27 AM
Well I doubt Bayern will need to rely on it they look reasonably sure of getting a spot. Didn't realsie that five couldn't qualify. I think that's actually unfair as while it obviously favours stronger associations there is still the matter of a meritocracy.

Traditionally a team that wins a European competition (other than Super Cup) has the automatic right to defend that title unless they qualify for a superior competition. Also English/Italian (remember Inter can do it as well) teams have performed consistently well enough to earn the places they currently have allocated in Europe, otherwise they wouldn't have as many places.

Therefore the financial loss bound to be incurred by one due to the success of one side in a different sphere, and that is the key word success, of another while they reached the sufficient point of success themselves would penalise a club unfairly. In the case of almost any club qualification can make a world of difference financially. Therefore if they have done enough on merit within their specific sphere the governing body UEFA should have measures that accommodate all parties.

I reckon it's all hypothetical anyway as I think Chelsea are going to win the Champions League.

mypost
24/03/2005, 3:29 AM

Michael Owen scored his first goal for Liverpool at Anfield against Spurs on November 8, 1997. Liverpool won 4-0.

Toto Schillaci scored 6 league goals for Juventus the season after he was leading scorer in the World Cup, 1990/91.

One European Championship qualifying game was cancelled by UEFA in 1991, after several postponements beforehand. Which one was it?

When was the last championship that Italy, and Spain both failed to qualify for?

Aberdonian Stu
24/03/2005, 7:56 AM
The last championship they both failed to qualify for was Euro 92. Don't know the other one.

stojkovic
24/03/2005, 10:09 AM
One European Championship qualifying game was cancelled by UEFA in 1991, after several postponements beforehand. Which one was it?

Was it something to do with the Balkans ?

ollie
24/03/2005, 4:28 PM

well i'd imagine one of the teams was yugoslavia since they werern't allowed in euro 92,hence the reason denmark qualified as ye all know.don't know who the other team was

mypost
25/03/2005, 4:12 AM
well i'd imagine one of the teams was yugoslavia since they werern't allowed in euro 92,hence the reason denmark qualified as ye all know.don't know who the other team was

Yugoslavia originally qualified for the finals after playing all their games, and winning their group, which included Denmark, and Northern Ireland. They qualified in November '91, and were excluded in May '92. So it wasn't them.

It seems that nobody is going to get the answer without help, so here's a clue. The 2 teams involved, both played against Ireland in the next qualifying series. It should help.

Sheridan
25/03/2005, 6:39 AM
Albania vs. Spain was the game in question. I'm not sure why it wasn't played, but it had presumably had something to do with the fact that neither team was still in contention by the final round of matches.

Technically, a second answer exists to this question. The originally scheduled fixtures between East and West Germany were cancelled as a result of reunification.

pineapple stu
25/03/2005, 11:16 PM
Who were the RCS?

Sheridan
25/03/2005, 11:55 PM
Who were the RCS?
If I'm not mistaken, it stood for "Representation of Czechs and Slovaks", although that smacks of a convenient English rendering of the acronym. The constituent republics of Czechoslovakia split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia on Jan 1st 1993 (I think), half-way through the qualifying campaign for World Cup 1994. A representative XI known as the RCS completed their fixtures (and almost qualified too; if memory serves, they missed out due to a 0-0 draw with Belgium on that fateful day of November 17th 1993.)

pineapple stu
25/03/2005, 11:58 PM
Yep, good enough!

Romania and Belgium qualified from the group; Wales had a chance, but I think Paul Snodin hit the bar from a penalty at home to Romania which would have seen them through instead.

Closed Account 2
26/03/2005, 2:17 AM
Which Russian Football Club is owned by General Gromov the man who was the last Commander of Soviet Forces in Afghanistan ?

colblimp
26/03/2005, 8:41 AM
Formed 22 March 1888 - first games 8 September 1888

Er, that's actually wrong...

The F.A. was formed on 26th October 1863 in the Freemasons' Tavern on Great Queen Street, London. The idea belonged to one Charles Alcock. The Associations primary aim was to formalise and unify the rules of football. So there.

Kerry Blue
26/03/2005, 4:36 PM
Er, that's actually wrong...

The F.A. was formed on 26th October 1863 in the Freemasons' Tavern on Great Queen Street, London. The idea belonged to one Charles Alcock. The Associations primary aim was to formalise and unify the rules of football. So there.
The F.A. and The Football League are two different associations! :rolleyes:
The F.A. as you say were formed in 1863.
The Football League was formed in 1888, which was the correct answer to the question you asked! :rolleyes:

colblimp
27/03/2005, 12:16 PM
The F.A. and The Football League are two different associations! :rolleyes:
The F.A. as you say were formed in 1863.
The Football League was formed in 1888, which was the correct answer to the question you asked! :rolleyes:

Fair comment, point taken, I hold my hands up, I apologise etc...

You're quite right, I actually meant F.A. but for some inexplicable reason I put F.L. Sorry. :o :)

Aberdonian Stu
29/03/2005, 10:46 AM
Yep, good enough!

Romania and Belgium qualified from the group; Wales had a chance, but I think Paul Snodin hit the bar from a penalty at home to Romania which would have seen them through instead.

Actually it was Paul Bodin. I think they actually needed a win and they lost the match if memory serves me correctly so that probably wouldn't have been enough.

stojkovic
29/03/2005, 10:58 AM
Actually it was Paul Bodin. I think they actually needed a win and they lost the match if memory serves me correctly so that probably wouldn't have been enough.
Yeah it was 1-1 when they missed the peno and subsequently lost 2-1.
Lived in London and the BBC switched from the San Marino-England game to the game in Cardiff for the peno and then stayed with the coverage for the rest of the game. The Ingerlanders weren't happy. Twas the night we played in Windsor Pk.

mypost
30/03/2005, 4:43 AM

When was the last championship that Italy, and Spain both failed to qualify for?

Italy and Spain last failed to qualify for the Euro Championships in 1992, as A. Stu said.

Sheridan got the other one right. Albania-Spain was the qualifying game that UEFA cancelled in December 1991, after several postponements, due to the political situation in Albania at the time. They both ended their campaign with 7 games played, while France won the group, having won all of their 8 games. Albania and Spain were in our qualification group for USA '94. Spain won 5-1 in Tirana in September 1993.

Which team played in the FA Cup 3 years in a row at Wembley in the last 10 years, and never won the Cup?

When was the last time that the FA Cup semi-finals were both played at Wembley?

JC_GUFC
30/03/2005, 10:56 PM
no probs

How many dog tracks (greyhound stadia etc etc) have hosted LoI football?

Not 100% sure of the answer but I know of at least 7.

OK I see you've posted but I haven't looked! (Promise!)

Galway Sportsgrounds, Brandywell, Market's Field, Shelbourne Park, Harold's Cross, Bishopstown & Thurles Stadium (not sure of that one!)

JC_GUFC
30/03/2005, 11:10 PM
I see I was wrong about the dog question!

Anyway here's a question which I don't think has been posted yet!!

Name the only player to have played in the top flight in Spain, Italy, Germany, England & France.

J

gustavo
30/03/2005, 11:54 PM
most i can get is klinsmann with 4 (all except spain)

Bluebeard
31/03/2005, 1:35 PM
OK I see you've posted but I haven't looked! (Promise!)

Galway Sportsgrounds, Brandywell, Market's Field, Shelbourne Park, Harold's Cross, Bishopstown & Thurles Stadium (not sure of that one!)

Tut tut, you neglected Kilcohan Park, a dog track still, and more importantly the former home of the Blues :mad:

Closed Account 2
31/03/2005, 2:11 PM
I see I was wrong about the dog question!

Anyway here's a question which I don't think has been posted yet!!

Name the only player to have played in the top flight in Spain, Italy, Germany, England & France.

J

Florin Raducioiu

Spain - Espanyol
Italy - Bari/Bresica/Hellas Verona
England - West Ham
Germany - Stuttgart
France - Monaco.

mypost
08/04/2005, 4:01 AM
Which team played in the FA Cup 3 years in a row at Wembley in the last 10 years, and never won the Cup?

When was the last time that the FA Cup semi-finals were both played at Wembley?

Newcastle played at Wembley in 1998, 1999, and 2000. They lost 2 FA Cup finals, and lost a semi-final there also.

The last time the semi-finals were played at Wembley was in 2000.

Since their promotion to the Premiership in 1993, How many seasons has the Premiership game between Liverpool-Newcastle being played at Anfield first, before the return game in Newcastle?

When was the first Monday Night Premiership game shown live at Anfield, by Sky?

Kerry Blue
09/04/2005, 9:49 AM
Since their promotion to the Premiership in 1993, How many seasons has the Premiership game between Liverpool-Newcastle being played at Anfield first, before the return game in Newcastle?

I think it's only 2. This season and in the 2002-03 season.

I asked this question before but didn't get an answer:
When was the last time that neither Celtic nor Rangers finished in the top two of the Scottish League?