PDA

View Full Version : LOI Series 1 fixtures 6th/7th March

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dunny
01/03/2015, 1:49 AM
Premier Division:

Friday 6th March

Shamrock Rovers v Saint Patricks Athletic(Live on RTE2)

Dundalk FC v Longford Town

Galway United v Derry City

Saturday 7th March

Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United - 5:45pm

Limerick FC v Bohemian FC - 6;30pm

Sligo Rovers v Cork City

First Division

Friday 6th March

Cabinteely FC v Wexford Youths

Waterford United v Athlone Town

Shelbourne v Finn Harps 8pm

Saturday 7th March

Cobh Ramblers v UCDAFC

----------------------------------------------

She's back!!! Good luck to all clubs.

L.T.F.C.
01/03/2015, 2:28 AM
Hon the real Town!

patrickccfc
01/03/2015, 10:26 AM
Been 128 long days since the dundalk game and now the new season is only 6 away.. can't wait lads

Dillonman
01/03/2015, 10:50 AM
Been too bloody long! Cannot wait. Although I'm missing the first game of the season!!bah humbug

Nesta99
01/03/2015, 11:18 AM
Aye but spend 20 years waiting to get yer hands on a trophy ye eventually have it and in no time its up for grabs again. Suppose the secret is to win it again!

outspoken
01/03/2015, 10:43 PM
Going to absoutle binge on live LOI football this season, Dundalk on the Friday and will head over to Sligo on the Saturday after work, the first weekend is so exciting, so many new exciting players to watch out for.

NeverFeltBetter
02/03/2015, 9:30 AM
Will miss Limerick's grand re-introduction of Jackman Park to the League of Ireland. MSC result's given me some bit of hope they could get something out of Bohs, but think it'll be a 2-1 loss.

Jofspring
02/03/2015, 10:36 AM
We need to keep the confidence up from Saturday. I'd take a draw now, a tight loss wouldn't even be the worst. A heavy defeat though could crush a lot of the younger lads.

wonder88
02/03/2015, 10:26 PM
Been a long off season, so hope to make 2 games this weekend. Good to see more clubs opting for Saturday, so visit to Jackman Park so.

ger121
02/03/2015, 10:32 PM
It's good to be back! Here's to an exciting weekend for all #thegreatestleagueintheworld

Acornvilla
03/03/2015, 12:31 AM
I'll be in Jackman well and truly on the Limerick bandwagon :P Lad lives with me who used to go to the odd Cork City match, so I plan to drag him along.

Longfordian
03/03/2015, 7:18 AM
I expect we'll hammer Dundalk. Our casuals are arriving in numbers too, they'll probably smash up a few pubs in the town beforehand.

El-Pietro
03/03/2015, 8:42 AM
I'll be in Jackman well and truly on the Limerick bandwagon :P Lad lives with me who used to go to the odd Cork City match, so I plan to drag him along.

I assume you'll make your way to Cork for the Longford game?

nigel-harps1954
03/03/2015, 8:49 AM
Should be a good enough crowd of Harps fans down in Tolka on Friday night. Always a decent away following for the first game of the season. Bus load of us heading down anyway.

Mr A
03/03/2015, 10:05 AM
If everyone could use the hashtag #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld to tweet about the opening of the league campaign on Friday, that would be great. Tweet pictures, views, vines, quips, whatever.

Or you could use #FanPoweredFootball. Your call.

Dunny
03/03/2015, 11:54 PM
For the live game

With commentary by Ger Canning and Kenny Cunningham, and analysis by Richie Sadlier and Trevor Croly.

Great lineup :D

nigel-harps1954
04/03/2015, 7:33 AM
The usual suspects for a League of Ireland match so. I still await the day I hear "commentary by George Hamilton and Ronnie Whelan with analysis by Eamon Dunphy and Johnny Giles".

Dodge
04/03/2015, 8:47 AM
The usual suspects for a League of Ireland match so. I still await the day I hear "commentary by George Hamilton and Ronnie Whelan with analysis by Eamon Dunphy and Johnny Giles".

Hamilton has done a few. Giles did one in about 1998. Paul Keegan had just returned to Ireland from New England (on loan to Pats) and Giles called him "the American lad".

PartySaint
04/03/2015, 8:51 AM

In fairness, Cunningham is the best pundit that RTE have.

Hamilton does the odd game, I was delighted he done the Cup final, his commentary when Fagan scored our second was brilliant.

Mr A
04/03/2015, 9:28 AM
I can't stand Hamilton's commentary at this stage. He his a problem with his brain whereby he struggles to imagine that there may be further scoring and becomes completely obsessed with the consequences of the result as it stands. And the constant whining during Ireland games along with captain Moansalot Ronnie Whelan is just deplorable. No idea why anyone would want Giles and especially Dunphy in, he'd crap all over everything and make it all about him. Plus they just wouldn't know anything.

Would happily see all four retired, all past their sell by date at this stage.

Nesta99
04/03/2015, 11:08 AM
Hamilton - the greatest exponent of the commentators curse!

"and with that goal Ireland have one foot in the World Cup finals" queue Irelands concession of a hatrick within 30 seconds...

TonyD
04/03/2015, 7:41 PM
For the live game

Great lineup :D

Ugghhh. The deeply unwelcome Ger Canning.

ger121
04/03/2015, 8:58 PM

His voice is stuck in my head. You know the one. He makes commentating on the Football sound like it's the Gah!

McNasara
05/03/2015, 9:10 PM
Galway United vs Derry City

Express returnee will have the support of the president of the state!

Galway is very motivated before the first match in the Premier Division after a recent break-up of the club, while guests from Northern Ireland starting the season with ever lower expectations.

The President of Ireland Michael D. Higgins will attend the debut of home team in the Premier Division. He is a big supporter and former president of Galway Utd. Otherwise, the club from the west coast of the island has played five consecutive seasons in the strongest domestic competition until 2011 when they experienced a collapse on the pitch (1-3-32, 20: 115) and off the pitch (the club was disbanded). However, with the help of a strong fan base and two local clubs (Mervue United and Salthill Devon) the Maroon Army was brought to life in 2013, so the club's longtime secretary became president. Hard work and determination for re-establishment of the club paid off as they never hoped for, because one season in the First Division was enough to return to the big stage. True, it wasn't easy, in the league have secured third place only in the last round, then defeated on both occasions the second-placed Shelbourne, that would pave the way towards the elite also with two wins in the play-off against UCD, 11-placed team from the Premier Division.

Their coach Tommy Dunne, who played just for Derry when tonight's opponent won the last title (18 years ago). Anyway, his coaching career started in Finland, where he remained for three years before coming to Cork. It is interesting that there came at a time when the club was re-established as was the case with the Galway last year. hHe hastily introduced both teams in the elite. The team did not change a lot of players, but it's worth noting that the promising central defender P. Barret, offensive midfielder R. Manning (best young player of the club last season) and experienced striker V. Faherty (second best scorer last year) are no longer at Eamonn Deacy Park. Defense is led by young right-back C. Horgan, who was in an ideal team of First Division and newly arriving S. Oji, centre back who will mean a lot to the back line with his experience. Captain P. Sinnot, the best player of the club last year R. Connolly, former Mervue top scorer G. Shanahan received help in the middle because D. O'Leary arrived from Cork. Offensive no new players, so the main word will still have a young American J. Keegan, who was club top scorer in 2014. There were some problems with the extension of his work visa, but in the end everything had ended well for both sides. The Tribesman have played three friendly matches before the start of the season, two wins and a draw without conceding a goal. Back-up goalkeeper G. Hanley and new central defender K. Cantwell are injured and will be out for another month. The young defender A. Byrne is suspended from last year, while left-back M. Ludden is doubtful due to injury in training yesterday.

Exactly 30 years since Derry City joined the football competitions in Ireland. In fact, it is the only club in the league who is from Northern Ireland from where they have deviated due to security concerns (they were not allowed to play at their stadium). So, they play in a league that is outside of their geographic jurisdiction, the best example of this is Monaco, which competes within the French league. The Candystripes are known for their excellent editions in the Cup competitions (15 trophies), they are the only club that won all three major domestic competitions in one season (1989), and dropped out of the Premier Division only in 2009 due to financial problems. So even though this is a club from a neighboring country, certainly not talking about a club that has no important role in the League of Ireland. However, in the the last two seasons team is in a declining form with a bad performance at their Brandywell which was once known as a difficult-conquerable fortress for the visiting team.

Since last summer at the helm is Peter Hutton who at the beginning of the season 2014 was assistant coach. Although he in the past was interim coach on two occasions (2004 and 2009), this time he got a two-year contract. Normally, Hutton is a club legend, a former captain and the recorder for the most appearances for City (18 years was a player). Before this coaching engagement, was the first coach in the First Division club Finn Harps. Admittedly, he doesn't expect easy task because the budget is reduced in accordance with non-securing playing in Europe next summer, so it is not surprising that he has at its disposal only two players who have more than 25 years. Two experienced midfielders B. Molloy (former captain, 10 years at the club) and D. Ventre (arrived last season from Sligo, where he was captain) left the country. But that's not the worst as far as the outgoing transfers. Talented left winger M. Duffy was club top scorer in the league matches last season, which was enough to go to the big Scottish Celtic. An even greater loss is going to Australia of R. Patterson, who was three years in a row top scorer of the club including all competitions in which they took part. The two of them scored exactly half of the club's goals in the league last year. The excellent defender and captain R. McBride will continue to lead the backline, and P. McEleney the midfield, although there are still some very talented young midfielders such as B. McNamee, M. Timlin, S. Dooly... As replacement for the the first striker was brought experienced Englishman A. Elding to whom this will be even 20th club in his career (he was top scorer in 2013 in Sligo). The team looked great in pre-season matches when they recorded all six wins, three against the Northern Irish Premiership clubs. Even three players must serve a penalty from a previous season: R. McBride, S. Dooley and M. Timlin. New acquisitions, defender S. Sharkey and striker C. Morrison are injured, while another new pair of defender - forward (S. Kelly and A. Elding) is not sure that will debut due to injury in yesterday's training.

WoodquayBoy
05/03/2015, 10:18 PM
What in the name of the sweet Lord is that?^^^???

Spudulika
06/03/2015, 4:50 PM
Will be watching in my local pub in Voronezh tonight with 9 LOI "heads". In 2 other of our pubs they will be livecasting (taking the RTE feed), one of the pubs is a Spartak Moscow HQ and about 30-40 yokes will be watching. Had a smile thinking, jesus, there'll be more people watching in Russia tonight than in some First Division matches (sorry, bad joke).

peadar1987
06/03/2015, 6:46 PM
RTÉ stream not working for anyone else?

McNasara
06/03/2015, 6:57 PM
RTÉ stream not working for anyone else?
for me :(

Jofspring
06/03/2015, 7:05 PM
Great finish by Danny North but Jesus is he getting fatter?

Hitman
06/03/2015, 7:14 PM

Highlight so far is saying Galway had taken the lead from an own goal after hearing Oji had scored.

NeverFeltBetter
06/03/2015, 7:19 PM
Oji already making me depressed.

DannyInvincible
06/03/2015, 7:30 PM

Was a nice finish, but the wind wasn't doing Pat's any favours from the kick-out.

NeverFeltBetter
06/03/2015, 7:31 PM
John McKeown, future pub quiz answer, etc. Cabinteely one up.

colonelwest
06/03/2015, 7:42 PM
Great to see Cabinteely having a good start. Here's hoping they don't fall into the usual LOI thing of spending ludicrous amounts of cash on completely frivolous stuff...

Welp...

https://vine.co/v/OEZLD55OvPw

ger121
06/03/2015, 7:50 PM

He looks like he's still celebrating Christmas

dong
06/03/2015, 7:51 PM
Looking at the team line ups for the Pats v Rovers game I was reminded of the George Orwell line from Animal Farm:

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

colonelwest
06/03/2015, 8:00 PM
3336 in Oriel tonight, very good crowd to start off the season, hopefully can keep that up!

Flexy
06/03/2015, 8:31 PM
2-1 derry now Houston and Ryan Curran

DannyInvincible
06/03/2015, 8:37 PM
2-1 derry now Houston and Ryan Curran

Full time now. Great to come back from 1-0 down away from home and open the season with a victory.

redarmyfaction
06/03/2015, 8:48 PM

Trim looking to me, TV puts on a half stone too, took his goal well, nice ball in by the wind, but you never know what you are going to get from him, that's why we weren't interested this year.

outspoken
06/03/2015, 9:03 PM
Gary Rogers is the best keeper in the league and got Dundalk three points tonight

Yossarian
06/03/2015, 9:42 PM
Gary Rogers is the best keeper in the league and got Dundalk three points tonight

I agree with that. Fantastic save onto the crossbar near the end.
We were poor. Too many misplaced passes and poor performances. McMillan struggled up front and couldn't hold the ball up at all. Still we had enough chances to make it safe.

White Horse
06/03/2015, 9:51 PM
Longford didn't have an attempt on goal for 85 minutes, then had two great chances at the end.

Dundalk were poor, far too many misdirected passes. It's far too early of gauge how Longford will do this season but they will be heartened that they could have got something from the game.

PartySaint
06/03/2015, 9:54 PM
Is the season over yet?

F*cking ****e from Pats tonight.

passinginterest
06/03/2015, 10:08 PM
At half time I thought Pats would win comfortably, they looked dangerous enough against the wind. Credit to Rovers got the tactics right against the wind, pressed Pats all over and didn't let them pick out any easy passes, result was a surprisingly untroubled half, bar the great save in stoppage time. Hard to make any judgements because the conditions were close to unplayable.

WoodquayBoy
06/03/2015, 10:09 PM
Gutted after tonight, played well in first half and deserved the lead at half-time but just didn't come out for second half. Conceded two God-awful goals - and while every goal you concede is always a bad one, wait until you see Soccer Republic
on Monday to see how bad they were! Not great from either side, Derry missing a few in fairness but both sides have plenty to do.
Still, I'll take a 2-1 defeat to Derry in the Premier Division in first game over a 1-0 defeat to Longford, which is how we started last season. And look how last season finished for us!

mcgonigle
06/03/2015, 10:36 PM

Was there a handball in the lead up to that? Anyway was impressed with Longford

bluewhitearmy
06/03/2015, 11:17 PM
Both teams quite poor in Galway Derry were absolutely terrible at stages. Think a draw would have been fair and Derrys 2nd was a fluke in the end.

Olander
06/03/2015, 11:35 PM
Both teams quite poor in Galway Derry were absolutely terrible at stages. Think a draw would have been fair and Derrys 2nd was a fluke in the end.

Pretty fair assessment of the game. Their little bit of experience told. Some will say they were lucky but I think they were ruthless and we have to adapt quickly or it will be a long season.

oriel
06/03/2015, 11:36 PM
Conditions were poor tonight with a strong wind blowing and extremely cold for most of the match, so any spells of good football was rare. Dundalk would have been much happier going in at half time, 1-0 up, but what a performance by Longford in the last 20, and only for a superb double save by Rogers right at the end, they could have got a point, we're very happy with the win, 3 pts in the bag. Could have sealed the win with good chances not least from Towell in the 2nd half, but a win is a win.

Official attendance was 3,336, decent crowd over from Longford, they will do ok this season, no doubt about that.