PDA

View Full Version : quote from george hamilton

max power
19/11/2004, 6:21 PM
"friday night is eircom league night".....if only george, u get to say that bout twice a year :mad:

jofyisgod
19/11/2004, 7:01 PM
"friday night is eircom league night".....if only george, u get to say that bout twice a year :mad:

What a tosser...can't belive the irony of that comment :D

dancinpants
19/11/2004, 8:56 PM
Quality Aertel headline:

SHELS WIN SEALS EIRCOM LEAGUE CROWN 222

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2004, 8:57 PM

If Gabriel Egan or Eoin Hand had said that on radio they might have been justified in saying so.

BobtheDrog
20/11/2004, 1:12 AM
cant believe they got doolo on the commentary team cud anyone understand him?

CollegeTillIDie
20/11/2004, 9:18 AM
cant believe they got doolo on the commentary team cud anyone understand him?

I could but then I know him for years :p

TheJamaicanP.M.
20/11/2004, 2:33 PM
George Hamilton is a legend. It's hardly RTE's fault that they've shown so few domestic games this season. Shels refused to let them screen a game some weeks back. So stop the whinging.

max power
20/11/2004, 2:38 PM
listen pm stop disagreeing just for the sake of it, hamilton knows NOTHING about el, did u hear him in amy games this season. he hasn't a clue who the players are and it shows in his commentary. shels were given 36 hrs notice by rte and that simpley isn't god enough......

whinging, we have every right to, they are the NATIONAL BROADCASTER, but yet show more of a foreign league than thir own national one.

TheJamaicanP.M.
20/11/2004, 2:44 PM
listen pm stop disagreeing just for the sake of it, hamilton knows NOTHING about el, did u hear him in amy games this season. he hasn't a clue who the players are and it shows in his commentary. shels were given 36 hrs notice by rte and that simpley isn't god enough......

whinging, we have every right to, they are the NATIONAL BROADCASTER, but yet show more of a foreign league than thir own national one.

Im not disagreeing for the sake of it. That's my genuine opinion. Hamilton is a great commentator. If an EL club really wanted a televised game, 36 hours notice would hardly be a problem. I think these clubs only think about the short-term. All that was bothering Shels is that the attendance might have dropped. If these clubs want more exposure, that is the price thay may have to pay. George Hamilton was only doing his job by announcing that Friday night was EL night. Nothing wrong with that. BTW, the reason our national broadcaster shows more football from foreign countries is that there is more demand for it. Unfortunate as it is, not everyone in this country is as passionate about the EL as me and you Max.

Bosco
20/11/2004, 4:19 PM
Hamilton is a great commentator.

Words can not explain how much I disagree with what you just said.Not just for his commentary in el matches but his commentating in general.I despise him

the 12 th man
20/11/2004, 4:29 PM
Words can not explain how much I disagree with what you just said.Not just for his commentary in el matches but his commentating in general.I despise him

if an irish international game is on skysports ,i watch that rather than listen to the man who quoted "the baggio brothers" :eek: as players for italy.

i hate his commentary style.

Slash/ED
20/11/2004, 5:06 PM
"the baggio brothers"

Now in fairness, the full quote explains everything "The Baggio brothers are, of course, not related".

I like George Hamilton, he may not say the most sensible things at times but at least he's not dull like pretty much every second commentator out there, he can make a match seem interesting unlike TV3 who would make a 5-4 game seem dire because they haven't got a commentator with any personality.

ShelsTim
20/11/2004, 5:11 PM
George Hamilton is a legend and a fan of the eL, he's a Bohs man as far as i know.

TonyD
20/11/2004, 9:41 PM
George Hamilton is a legend and a fan of the eL, he's a Bohs man as far as i know.
:eek: Really ? Somehow I find that hard to believe. In fairness to RTE though, when they do decide to bother their asp they do a decent job, much better than the TV3 clowns. Last nights coverage was pretty good all round I thought.

anto eile
20/11/2004, 10:01 PM
hamilton is a glentoran fan..(so that probably does mean he follows the bohezzz in the EL)

and he is a useless tosser of a commentator.please dont disagree.christ hes useless!

Poor Student
20/11/2004, 10:12 PM
hamilton is a glentoran fan..(so that probably does mean he follows the bohezzz in the EL)

and he is a useless tosser of a commentator.please dont disagree.christ hes useless!

My Unionist cousin from Norn Iron supports Bohez too. Is there some connection between them and up North? :confused:

anto eile
20/11/2004, 10:33 PM
well bohezzs history isnt exactly something to shout from the roof tops.theyv shameful roots really.
they were founded by students of bells academy (a british military school). they were staunchly amateur up til 1969. an all-amateur ethos in dublin of the 1890s-1950s (or longer) is a blatant attempt to keep the club for the ruling upper classes (those who had professional careers and could afford to play for an irish league club for free) - ie the occupying british and their cronies
also they got their colors from trinity college ,another unionist protestant british institution

CollegeTillIDie
20/11/2004, 11:44 PM
well bohezzs history isnt exactly something to shout from the roof tops.theyv shameful roots really.
they were founded by students of bells academy (a british military school). they were staunchly amateur up til 1969. an all-amateur ethos in dublin of the 1890s-1950s (or longer) is a blatant attempt to keep the club for the ruling upper classes (those who had professional careers and could afford to play for an irish league club for free) - ie the occupying british and their cronies
also they got their colors from trinity college ,another unionist protestant british institution

Yes except for one slight omission, when they left bells academy the founding fathers also darkened the corridors of Trinity College themselves. Otherwise an excellent account of the origins of the species ... Trinity.. SH1te! :D

EireBadBoy
21/11/2004, 1:18 AM
Only a Longord fan would have the brutal audacity to stick up for George Hamilton and that motley crew at RTE....sure they show youse in the Cup!

You claim to love the EL yet can't comprehend the fact that the National TV station funded by you (yes, not me as I'm a dirty nordie!) fails to cover the National League 'til such times suit. Would BBC/RTL/Canal+ get away with doing the same ? Probably if people as lethargic as you Mr.P.M lived on the continent!!

max power
21/11/2004, 1:31 AM
Only a Longord fan would have the brutal audacity to stick up for George Hamilton and that motley crew at RTE....sure they show youse in the Cup!

eh it was a Longford fan that stated how bad he is in the first palce

EireBadBoy
21/11/2004, 1:33 AM
Yes...and.....it was another Longford fan that praised him to sweet heaven..

max power
21/11/2004, 1:34 AM
if 2:30 am that was one fast reply.......you actually took the PM seriously :rolleyes:

1 9 2 8
21/11/2004, 3:19 AM
So what's shams History

the 12 th man
21/11/2004, 9:26 AM
Now in fairness, the full quote explains everything "The Baggio brothers are, of course, not related".

with all due repect,the full quote was (i heard it myself) was "roberto baggio to brother dino" :D .hamilton later blamed it on dodgy notes he was given by rte before the game.

anto eile
21/11/2004, 12:34 PM
what the f.uck are "shams"?

TonyD
21/11/2004, 5:58 PM
Watched the tape of the Pats-Shels match back this morning, and noticed this comment from Paul Doolin "No team has retained the title since Shamrock Rovers in the 1980's" Truly, a re-writing of history that uncle Joe Stalin would have been proud of. What a plonker.

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2004, 6:23 PM
Watched the tape of the Pats-Shels match back this morning, and noticed this comment from Paul Doolin "No team has retained the title since Shamrock Rovers in the 1980's" Truly, a re-writing of history that uncle Joe Stalin would have been proud of. What a plonker.

Yes I agree 100%... walked out on us after 20 matches in which we had statistically possibly the worst sequence of results in recent history... We were the 4th best team in form in the final 16 games of the 2003 season and only went down by 2 points...PD definitely responsible for our going down last season and we will enjoy taking points from DUFC next season.

jimhacker
22/11/2004, 9:44 AM
It is policy in the hacker household never to allow a discussion on commentators to pass by without a mention of ........CANNING.................an absolute carbuncle on the arse of RTE.

TheJamaicanP.M.
22/11/2004, 10:48 AM

You claim to love the EL yet can't comprehend the fact that the National TV station funded by you (yes, not me as I'm a dirty nordie!) fails to cover the National League 'til such times suit. Would BBC/RTL/Canal+ get away with doing the same ? Probably if people as lethargic as you Mr.P.M lived on the continent!!

I stand by what I said about George Hamilton being a great commentator. Its not the same watching an Ireland games if he's not commentating. People are referring to his Baggio brothers mistake. That's what commentators do. They make mistakes. John Motson made plenty of mistakes, but it doesnt take away from his legendary status. It's hardly Geoge Hamilton's fault that RTE dont show more EL football. He is an easy target.
As for RTE not showing more games, thay show what is in demand. That is the Premiership and Champions League. While I prefer EL, I am able to accept that more people prefer Premiership and CL. RTE are interested in viewing figures, not in keeping a handfull of Derry City supporters happy.
With regard to Max Powerless saying that nobody takes me seriously, I'd say that is a rather ironic comment. At least I contribute something to this site. I've rarely seen a post of his that is more than 2 sentences. 'Nuff Said.

Bosco
22/11/2004, 10:25 PM
But he does make an awful lot of mistakes.If only I had written down every stupid quote I've heard from that man,I willl from now on.I remember in the shels v lille game(i think),he took the time out to tell us all that the lille keeper once had a TRIAL with parthick thistle.Actually now that i think about it,it might have been a different game,but the point is the mans football knowledge does not go beyond british football.He always has to make a reference to the game in britain.At the cup final,he reminded viewers that man utd came back from 1-0 down in the last few mins and this was even before our comeback.The whole of RTE are the same.Dunphy's football knowledge does not go beyond man utd,After the cl final last year they decided not to talk about the match but about man utd,chelsea and arsenals chances for next season.Another time they were talking about how overpaid pre-madonnas are no longer ruling football.Singling out teams such as greece.Dunphy then goes on about how japan over achieved in reaching the semis of the world cup(strange,i thought it was s.korea) and how teams like porto and...........he couldnt remember who porto played in the cl final.Anyway i know this is going off the point,but i'll do some research and come back with stupid things hamilton has done

Slash/ED
22/11/2004, 10:36 PM
But he does make an awful lot of mistakes.If only I had written down every stupid quote I've heard from that man,

Someone did...http://dangerhere.com/george.php

I just think it's sad that there's moral outrage when he makes a positive comment in trying to promtoe the league. It really shows why people look at EL fans are being a bunch of whingers, not only this but people were moaning about RTE actually showing the game ffs, we're literally never happy.

max power
23/11/2004, 8:31 AM
sorry slash/ed i take his comment as a total insult......as far as rte is concerned friday night....is far from eircom league night.......sat afternoon is another counties league afternoon, now there is a true statement

observer
23/11/2004, 9:28 AM
I don't think I have every witnessed George commentating when he did not make some comments which indicated to me that he knows nothing about football. He may have done some research and drop in bits of information from his notes periodically, but when something occurs in the actual play he usually draws the wrong conclusion.
I for one always switch to another channel to watch the match, if the choice is available, rather then listen to his ramblings..

Macy
23/11/2004, 10:30 AM
eh it was a Longford fan that stated how bad he is in the first palce
And there was more than a Longford fan saying they liked hamilton too.

max power
23/11/2004, 10:42 AM
and a lot saying they had no time for him either, it was the comment i picked up on anyway, not the man himself. i would ahve posted that no matter who said it.

Lionel Ritchie
23/11/2004, 11:20 AM
the "pulling him off" one was priceless. I remember it well. Spain 92. -i think it's featured on every danny bakers top 50 football bloopers videos ever since.

wws
23/11/2004, 11:55 AM

football in ireland IS the garrison game so take up GAA if thats a problem for you :p

NY Hoop
23/11/2004, 3:59 PM
Yes I agree 100%... walked out on us after 20 matches in which we had statistically possibly the worst sequence of results in recent history... We were the 4th best team in form in the final 16 games of the 2003 season and only went down by 2 points...PD definitely responsible for our going down last season and we will enjoy taking points from DUFC next season.

Get over it. It's a fact of life that a manager will want to go to a bigger club. Would you turn down promotion in work? You're sounding like the CHF whingers: It's Roddy's fault we went down etc etc blah blah.

How about looking at the players for the reason you went down?

KOH