PDA

View Full Version : Is Bohs demise bad for League?

Shelsman
15/11/2004, 12:56 PM
Is the collapse of Bohs ( that their players are leaving wholesale ) bad for the league? I think so. They were a giant in the eL for the last 5 years and it was great to see a full time team take on and beat European teams every year. With virtually all of their best players leaving it is unlikely to continue.

:(

Éanna
15/11/2004, 5:24 PM
no. they tried to spend more money than they had, and they're getting what they deserve. the key to success in this league is spending what you can and going from there. overspending is the path to disaster.

eoinh
15/11/2004, 6:09 PM
Yes the league needs full time teams with the best players it can get.

I assume Bohs are staying full time professional?

Slash/ED
15/11/2004, 6:13 PM
Yes in that the league has lost a great team but if the players stay within the league it could help it, if anything. Say if Cork and Drogheda pick up one or two players and we could have a three way title race next year with only one Dublin side, that would have to be good for the league.

It's also painfully funny, after all the big club rubbish from their fans, but that's neither here nor there :D

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 6:31 PM
Yes in that the league has lost a great team but if the players stay within the league it could help it, if anything. Say if Cork and Drogheda pick up one or two players and we could have a three way title race next year with only one Dublin side, that would have to be good for the league.

It's also painfully funny, after all the big club rubbish from their fans, but that's neither here nor there :D

They seem to have a better average attendence this year than Shels though in what has been a great season for you, and a poor season for them.

Cork and Bohs seem to be the two best clubs at getting people to the grounds in this country. For the good of the league it would be nice to see them pretty strong. Personally I don't like Bohs but it's not nice to see a big club going backwards.

Slash/ED
15/11/2004, 6:36 PM
They seem to have a better average attendence this year than Shels though in what has been a great season for you, and a poor season for them.

By around a hundred or so, not exactly a world of difference.

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 6:40 PM
By around a hundred or so, not exactly a world of difference.

But taking into account your varied fortunes? What would your repective attendences be at in the reverse situations?

Slash/ED
15/11/2004, 6:43 PM
But taking into account your varied fortunes? What would your repective attendences be at in the reverse situations?

Last season when Bohs had a good result in Europe, unlike us, got good exposure as a result and were on TV a fair amount, unlike us, and were in the title race until the end it was exactly the same story.

Larry 'da' Wyse
15/11/2004, 8:19 PM
Is the collapse of Bohs ( that their players are leaving wholesale ) bad for the league?

:(

Why who has left? Nobody yet as far as I know. Getting into Europe again albeit Inter-toto doesn't represent a collapse. Give GF a chance .. if finishing 2nd is a collpase then lots of other teams are in trouble.

True there are loads of rumours around of players leaving and I reckon a few will be on their way but I'm sure players will also arrive at the club and Bohs will be in contention again next year. Jayz, if they had managed not to drop 7 points v. DC things could hav been different!

higgins
15/11/2004, 9:51 PM
Where are you getting these gate figures from???

how do bohs have 100 or so more then us

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 10:31 PM
Why who has left? Nobody yet as far as I know. Getting into Europe again albeit Inter-toto doesn't represent a collapse. Give GF a chance .. if finishing 2nd is a collpase then lots of other teams are in trouble.

It does I'm afraid. It's not really GF's fault, he needs time to settle and so far things haven't been too bad but for Bohs 3rd (which is where you finished, not second) is not good enough with the wages you pay out. It doesn't add up. Your let down season has been combined with heavily dwindling support. That's a loss in prize, tv and attendene revenue. Either the squad must be scaled down or European results be achieved. The loss of the UEFA Cup place may only be recouped if you do as Cork did last year, or even better. You may just equal them, but it's something the money men can't bank on.

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 10:35 PM
Last season when Bohs had a good result in Europe, unlike us, got good exposure as a result and were on TV a fair amount, unlike us, and were in the title race until the end it was exactly the same story.

If that's the case I stand corrected. But I can't understand why you can't get people out to watch you when you're on the verge of a rare back to back titles and had huge European success.

City Hero
15/11/2004, 11:38 PM
If that's the case I stand corrected. But I can't understand why you can't get people out to watch you when you're on the verge of a rare back to back titles and had huge European success.

One of the most successfull seasons in Shels long history, and all they could manage at Tolka few weeks ago for a top of the table clash was about 4,500, and nearly 1,000 of them from Cork. Where were the other 20,000? Must have fallen off the band wagon after Europe.

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 11:55 PM
One of the most successfull seasons in Shels long history, and all they could manage at Tolka few weeks ago for a top of the table clash was about 4,500, and nearly 1,000 of them from Cork. Where were the other 20,000? Must have fallen off the band wagon after Europe.

Eh, well I and many non-Shels were among the 28k at Landsdowne that day if that's what you mean.

harry crumb
16/11/2004, 12:38 AM
After enjoying watching Bohemians over the past 4/5 years it will be sad that such a force will be broken up. They played great football and along with Shels have forced the other teams to become more professional. But, their model of full-time football seems to have been based on getting Euro qualification. As we have see with Leeds Utd. , this is a dangerous gamble to make.

I don't think Dalymount was a fortress this year as it has been. Bad luck with injuries and the fact that their supporters are very demanding may have led to this. A lot of their fans are moaners and take the frustration of their lives out on the football team.

Stephen kenny being sacked was another low point. How many times this season did their fans boo the players off the pitch?

At their peak they are still probably the best team in the league but they haven't reached that peak enough this season.

I think in the next 5 years Cork, Shels, Drogheda and maybe Rovers will be the top teams. Unless Bohs can build another new team out of the ashes.

Terry Phelan
16/11/2004, 8:58 AM
You forgot about Longford Town harry crumb.I believe Longford town will be up with the top teams.We've probably got the best young defenders in the eL league,so we're bound to be a force for the future.It also helps that we have a superior infastructure in place to any other eL league club.Have you been in d Flansiro lately?? It's the best ground in the entire eircom league...... :D

Snake
16/11/2004, 1:55 PM
Very premature ejaculations - c'mon bohs

Passive
16/11/2004, 2:00 PM
Let's get one thing straight here - with the exception of the last five years, a few years in the 30s and two seasons in the 70s, the gypos have never been "giants" of Irish football. What club has applied for re-election more than any other? That's right, our gypo pals from dalymoan. For the vast, vast majority of their existance bohs have been the whipping boys of Ireland. They got too big for their boots, that's all.
This isn't a demise, this is the natural order being restored. :p

paudie
16/11/2004, 4:08 PM
Am I right in think Bohs were an amateur club until the late sixties early seventies.

If thats the case its no wonder they were always applying for relegation and you're not comparing like with like.

Over the last 30 years in terms of trophies won the top teams would be Rovers, Derry, Shels, dundalk & Bohs, not necessarily in that order.

Basically what I'm saying is that at the moment Bohs are a "big club" in eircom league terms.

Carlin
16/11/2004, 5:06 PM
Am I right in think Bohs were an amateur club until the late sixties early seventies.

You are correct. Only turned semi-professional in 69/70.

patsh
17/11/2004, 8:20 AM
1. NOBODY has left Bohs yet, it's all just speculation at the moment.
2. There seems to be some financial difficulties, but hardly of the order that will lead to the "demise" of the club.
3. Maybe they can get over this "big club" boll*xology now, Bohs are about as big as Drogheda can claim to be.

pete
17/11/2004, 2:56 PM
Bohs aren't collapsing & rumour would suggest they being sensible in dropping the highest earners in the club when they can't afford them. Would be a better league if other lcubs followed such a financially sensible path. Heard Drogs gonna take 2 Bohs first team defenders at end of season.

Bohs have always disappointed me in recent years that never attracted the extra support i thought they would when playing such attractive football.

Will be a real battle next season for no.2 club in dublin...

btw what chances the eL would adopt a scheme limiting wages expenditure based on revenues? :rolleyes:

Dricky
17/11/2004, 3:42 PM
Bohs are doing a clear out, a bit of a harry norman really sell off the crap and get it cheaper somewhere else.
too many over rated and over paid players who beleive they do not have to work for their money. They are better off without them. How can a club with land worth more than every other teams lands put together be in trouble.
They rewarded thier players for winning and got no return after that.
Farrlley shouldn't have much problems reducing the wage bill and will bring over a few from the uk cheeper

Shelsman
18/11/2004, 4:43 PM
btw what chances the eL would adopt a scheme limiting wages expenditure based on revenues? :rolleyes:

The new UEFA licence is supposed to ensure that all club finances are in order...

patsh
18/11/2004, 4:45 PM
Have to say it must be a real kick in the b*lls to all Bohs fans to see Crowe go to $hels......

What the f*ck are $hels going to do with the 5 strikers?

Terry Phelan
19/11/2004, 8:57 AM
good point,what are $hels going to do with 5 strikers,i couldn't see bryne and crowe suiting each other up front :confused:

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 10:45 AM
good point,what are $hels going to do with 5 strikers,i couldn't see bryne and crowe suiting each other up front :confused:

Fitzpatrick, Sara, Crowe and Byrne. Only four strikers, and that's if Crowe even does sign, it's not confirmed yet.

Terry Phelan
19/11/2004, 11:08 AM
rowe,murphy and mccarthy not strikers as well?? :confused:

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 11:09 AM
rowe,murphy and mccarthy not strikers as well?? :confused:

McCarthy is leaving apparently. Rowe can play on the wing and wont be first choice anyway and Murphy is nowhere near the first team.

Terry Phelan
19/11/2004, 11:19 AM
wheres mccarty supposed to be going?

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 11:20 AM
wheres mccarty supposed to be going?

I haven't a clue, I think he's just been told to find a new club as far as I know.

Passive
19/11/2004, 1:31 PM
The new UEFA licence is supposed to ensure that all club finances are in order...

How ironic that a Shels fan makes that point...
Shels: lowest crowds in Dublin / seemingly endless supply of cash. Strange, no?

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 3:16 PM
How ironic that a Shels fan makes that point...
Shels: lowest crowds in Dublin / seemingly endless supply of cash. Strange, no?

Not strange, just wrong. We don't have the lowest crowds in Dublin, not even close. Neither do we have a seemingly endless supply of cash either.

jfogarty
22/11/2004, 2:57 PM
I have heard that a famous Irish businessman is sniffing around Bohez so dont write them off just yet

$Leon$
22/11/2004, 6:11 PM
think its time to recall da former u21 skipper darren burke from his loan spell from monaghan. read in the paper that he was undergoin key hole surgery on his knee this morn. should be back in action for the start of next season.

pete
23/11/2004, 1:03 PM
After shel$ signing basically dublins best players cos no threat to them anymore it probably is bad for everyone that no one capable of challenging shel$ financially.

Fair_play_boy
24/11/2004, 9:48 PM
What the f*ck are $hels going to do with the 5 strikers?1. Bohs demise? Hardly. A bad week at the office, anger and disappointment in the club and among fans, and a lot of shopping to do. No panic there. They will probably sign a few handy players from the subs benches of EL clubs before looking across the pond, IMO.
2. The pity is, players who worked well as a unit under Gareth Farrelly will probably not shine under Pat Fenlon's regime. Different ethos. Different atmosphere. Different methods. A demotion for those players in terms of football, I think.
3. Bad for the league? It might look like that for the immediate future. But in the longer term I think a lot of us will be smiling when we remember the week that Fenlon brought even greater financial burdens on the back of Shels. What a laugh, and what irony, if these purchases fomented the sort of financial collapse that they are begging to happen with their reckless attitude to spending. They may have rubbed Bohs' faces in it this week, but I think Bohs will have the last laugh.
4. On to Patsh's point (eventually). What is Fenlon playing at? Unless he is about to sell some of the calves, there are not enough tits on the cow to keep anything worthwhile flowing for the Shels squad.

sonofstan
25/11/2004, 7:14 AM
Funny then, that the atmosphere roung P'boro' has been better over the last week than at anytime this season; a team which was underperforming, considering what it cost, has been broken up,while the one player most Bohs fans consider to be the soul of the club is staying. Farrelly can build a team which will be his team; and his behaviour over the weekend - leaving out Crowe et al at Turner's cross, and saying he only wants to play players who want to play for Bohs - has finally endeared him to the most paranoid and depressive fans in the league. We also finally have real rivals to hate again in Shels, rather the shadow that has been Rovers recently. Can't wait for next season

Rebal Boy
25/11/2004, 2:04 PM
I read on some paper a few weeks ago, The Star I think and they took a picture of the crowd that was at the Bohs and Derry City game and they said that their was only 864 people at it. :eek: Thats a real shame. A club like Bohs should have around 2500-3000 atleast at every game. Cork City get atleast 3000 at every league game and 4-5000 when a big club comes down or if its a very big game. After all ye must say that we are the best fans in Ireland. :)

Shelsman
25/11/2004, 4:28 PM
Cork City get atleast 3000 at every league game and 4-5000 when a big club comes down or if its a very big game. After all ye must say that we are the best fans in Ireland. :)

I'd say the most numerous really, there are a lot of good fans in the other clubs, but like a typical Cork man you've decided that Cork fans are the best regardless of the other good supporters.