Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Is the demise of Bohs ( mass player exodus ) bad for the League?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 57.38%
  • No

26 42.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Bohs demise bad for League?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Bohs demise bad for League?

Is the collapse of Bohs ( that their players are leaving wholesale ) bad for the league? I think so. They were a giant in the eL for the last 5 years and it was great to see a full time team take on and beat European teams every year. With virtually all of their best players leaving it is unlikely to continue.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    no. they tried to spend more money than they had, and they're getting what they deserve. the key to success in this league is spending what you can and going from there. overspending is the path to disaster.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes the league needs full time teams with the best players it can get.

I assume Bohs are staying full time professional?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes in that the league has lost a great team but if the players stay within the league it could help it, if anything. Say if Cork and Drogheda pick up one or two players and we could have a three way title race next year with only one Dublin side, that would have to be good for the league.

It's also painfully funny, after all the big club rubbish from their fans, but that's neither here nor there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Yes in that the league has lost a great team but if the players stay within the league it could help it, if anything. Say if Cork and Drogheda pick up one or two players and we could have a three way title race next year with only one Dublin side, that would have to be good for the league.

It's also painfully funny, after all the big club rubbish from their fans, but that's neither here nor there
    They seem to have a better average attendence this year than Shels though in what has been a great season for you, and a poor season for them.

Cork and Bohs seem to be the two best clubs at getting people to the grounds in this country. For the good of the league it would be nice to see them pretty strong. Personally I don't like Bohs but it's not nice to see a big club going backwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    They seem to have a better average attendence this year than Shels though in what has been a great season for you, and a poor season for them.
    By around a hundred or so, not exactly a world of difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    By around a hundred or so, not exactly a world of difference.
    But taking into account your varied fortunes? What would your repective attendences be at in the reverse situations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But taking into account your varied fortunes? What would your repective attendences be at in the reverse situations?
    Last season when Bohs had a good result in Europe, unlike us, got good exposure as a result and were on TV a fair amount, unlike us, and were in the title race until the end it was exactly the same story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelsman
    Is the collapse of Bohs ( that their players are leaving wholesale ) bad for the league?

Why who has left? Nobody yet as far as I know. Getting into Europe again albeit Inter-toto doesn't represent a collapse. Give GF a chance .. if finishing 2nd is a collpase then lots of other teams are in trouble.

True there are loads of rumours around of players leaving and I reckon a few will be on their way but I'm sure players will also arrive at the club and Bohs will be in contention again next year. Jayz, if they had managed not to drop 7 points v. DC things could hav been different!
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Where are you getting these gate figures from???

how do bohs have 100 or so more then us
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry 'da' Wyse
    Why who has left? Nobody yet as far as I know. Getting into Europe again albeit Inter-toto doesn't represent a collapse. Give GF a chance .. if finishing 2nd is a collpase then lots of other teams are in trouble.
    It does I'm afraid. It's not really GF's fault, he needs time to settle and so far things haven't been too bad but for Bohs 3rd (which is where you finished, not second) is not good enough with the wages you pay out. It doesn't add up. Your let down season has been combined with heavily dwindling support. That's a loss in prize, tv and attendene revenue. Either the squad must be scaled down or European results be achieved. The loss of the UEFA Cup place may only be recouped if you do as Cork did last year, or even better. You may just equal them, but it's something the money men can't bank on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Last season when Bohs had a good result in Europe, unlike us, got good exposure as a result and were on TV a fair amount, unlike us, and were in the title race until the end it was exactly the same story.
    If that's the case I stand corrected. But I can't understand why you can't get people out to watch you when you're on the verge of a rare back to back titles and had huge European success.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If that's the case I stand corrected. But I can't understand why you can't get people out to watch you when you're on the verge of a rare back to back titles and had huge European success.
    One of the most successfull seasons in Shels long history, and all they could manage at Tolka few weeks ago for a top of the table clash was about 4,500, and nearly 1,000 of them from Cork. Where were the other 20,000? Must have fallen off the band wagon after Europe.
    I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen - Mr Parker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by City Hero
    One of the most successfull seasons in Shels long history, and all they could manage at Tolka few weeks ago for a top of the table clash was about 4,500, and nearly 1,000 of them from Cork. Where were the other 20,000? Must have fallen off the band wagon after Europe.
    Eh, well I and many non-Shels were among the 28k at Landsdowne that day if that's what you mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    After enjoying watching Bohemians over the past 4/5 years it will be sad that such a force will be broken up. They played great football and along with Shels have forced the other teams to become more professional. But, their model of full-time football seems to have been based on getting Euro qualification. As we have see with Leeds Utd. , this is a dangerous gamble to make.

I don't think Dalymount was a fortress this year as it has been. Bad luck with injuries and the fact that their supporters are very demanding may have led to this. A lot of their fans are moaners and take the frustration of their lives out on the football team.

Stephen kenny being sacked was another low point. How many times this season did their fans boo the players off the pitch?

At their peak they are still probably the best team in the league but they haven't reached that peak enough this season.

I think in the next 5 years Cork, Shels, Drogheda and maybe Rovers will be the top teams. Unless Bohs can build another new team out of the ashes.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You forgot about Longford Town harry crumb.I believe Longford town will be up with the top teams.We've probably got the best young defenders in the eL league,so we're bound to be a force for the future.It also helps that we have a superior infastructure in place to any other eL league club.Have you been in d Flansiro lately?? It's the best ground in the entire eircom league......
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Premature

Very premature ejaculations - c'mon bohs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Let's get one thing straight here - with the exception of the last five years, a few years in the 30s and two seasons in the 70s, the gypos have never been "giants" of Irish football. What club has applied for re-election more than any other? That's right, our gypo pals from dalymoan. For the vast, vast majority of their existance bohs have been the whipping boys of Ireland. They got too big for their boots, that's all.
    This isn't a demise, this is the natural order being restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Am I right in think Bohs were an amateur club until the late sixties early seventies.

If thats the case its no wonder they were always applying for relegation and you're not comparing like with like.

Over the last 30 years in terms of trophies won the top teams would be Rovers, Derry, Shels, dundalk & Bohs, not necessarily in that order.

Basically what I'm saying is that at the moment Bohs are a "big club" in eircom league terms.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    Am I right in think Bohs were an amateur club until the late sixties early seventies.
    You are correct. Only turned semi-professional in 69/70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast