PDA

View Full Version : Richie Foran

Pages : [1] 2

BobbySands
09/11/2004, 10:57 PM
Two more goals for Motherwell tonight.

TheJamaicanP.M.
10/11/2004, 5:36 PM
The day we pick that thug for the senior team is the day we know we're fcuked.

Eirambler
10/11/2004, 5:46 PM
Saw him play against Hibs at Easter Road last Saturday

Sh!te beyond belief

When you get marked out of a game by Colin Murdock you know its time to pack it in...

TheJamaicanP.M.
10/11/2004, 5:56 PM
Saw him play against Hibs at Easter Road last Saturday

Sh!te beyond belief

When you get marked out of a game by Colin Murdock you know its time to pack it in...

Is that Murdock of Norn Iron? He is sh!te. What p!sses me off about Foran is that I think he had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the fella has no manners and his career has suffered as a result.

Slash/ED
10/11/2004, 5:58 PM
the fella has no manners

That's putting it fairly mildly....

Donal81
10/11/2004, 6:13 PM
Sorry lads but I don't know much about this Foran chap. What's his story and what do the comments mean? I connect him with Roddy Collins, for some reason, was he with Carlisle?

Slash/ED
10/11/2004, 6:16 PM
He was yea, signed there from Shels. Basically has caused trouble wherever he's gone, Don Givens kicked him off the U21 panel, he scuppered a move to Aberdeen, got community service amoungst many suspensions at his time at Carlisle, was suspended an incredible amount of times for Shels through his on pitch antics and is now at Motherwell.

drinkfeckarse
11/11/2004, 8:12 AM
So far he seems to be behaving himself (other than the GAA episode) so maybe he's learned his lesson.

Regardless anyway, he's blown his potential and will not improve now. As was pointed out, getting marked outta the game by Colin Murdoch is a bad blemish on your cv :o :D

Bowsy
11/11/2004, 9:11 AM
Foran has always been a kn*cker and apart from that he's just simply not good enough.

drummerboy
11/11/2004, 9:20 AM
I seen him play a couple of times on setanta this season. He being played on the right side of midfield and to be honest has done ok.

drummerboy
11/11/2004, 9:24 AM
http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4566-114986-19728-12342-142339-11145-4385-layout08-116253-news-item,00.html

He's claiming a hatrick the other night. Well, he's as modest as ever.

eirebhoy
14/11/2004, 1:02 AM
What planet are people on suggesting that because he scores in a c rap league that he suddenly becomes a potential international? Get real lads.
Who suggested anything like that?

Donal81
14/11/2004, 2:42 AM
[QUOTE=What planet are people on suggesting that because he scores in a c rap league that he suddenly becomes a potential international?... Get real lads.[/QUOTE]

The way this post was going, it was suggesting how much of a clown the bloke is. Get real yourself mate.

Plastic Paddy
14/11/2004, 8:33 AM
hello from sunny Kaikoura in New Zealand. I saw Foran play for Carlisle at home to Rochdale last season and . . . not a word of a lie . . . I'd have done better meself after nine pints. Grade A sheeyite. What planet are people on suggesting that because he scores in a c rap league that he suddenly becomes a potential international? Get real lads.

Hope you're enjoying NZ. A wonderful country by all accounts. If I was that way inclined, I'd be jealous of you right now. :)

On your last point, there's plenty here that advocate Glen Crowe, Jason Byrne and Kevin Doyle for the national side, and they all play in a sh*te league. I fail to see the difference.

And on a happy note, this is my thousandth post on this board. I really should get out more.

:D PP

TerryPhelan
14/11/2004, 1:19 PM
Call him up.

And Lee Trundle, Kevin Gallen, Robbie Ryan and Billy Mehmet too.

No argument.

Colm
14/11/2004, 8:03 PM
Foran plays for Motherwell in the SPL. :rolleyes:
Shels, Bohs and Cork City are all far far better sides than Motherwell and John O'Flynn, Kevin Doyle, Jason Byrne and Glen Crowe are all far better strikers than Richie Foran.
Foran is behind the aforementioned players and probably quite a few others in the pecking order and I can never ever see him playing for Ireland.

Éanna
14/11/2004, 9:58 PM
On your last point, there's plenty here that advocate Glen Crowe, Jason Byrne and Kevin Doyle for the national side, and they all play in a sh*te league.

A league who's champions have had a better run of results in europe this season than your beloved celtic, if I'm not wrong :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
14/11/2004, 11:23 PM
That said, he should be getting in ahead of McGeady, who has done absolutely nothing to justify the hype surrounding him yet.
HAHA. You mustn't have seen him play. :D

BTW - I'd love to see Shels in a group with the best team in Spain, the current champions of the Italian league and a team that spent £50m in the summer. :rolleyes:

EamonD
15/11/2004, 4:08 AM
Call him up.

And Lee Trundle, Kevin Gallen, Robbie Ryan and Billy Mehmet too.

No argument.

yessirree foran belongs among that bunch of gofornothingnobodies. capping crap players demeans the value of an irish cap.

Plastic Paddy
15/11/2004, 6:14 AM
A league who's champions have had a better run of results in europe this season than your beloved celtic, if I'm not wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks Éanna. I was wondering who'd bite first. :D

ken foree
15/11/2004, 11:22 AM
to be fair to the poster from NZ, perhaps he thought that foran is considered a potential int'l by some because the post was made here in the int'l forum?

Slash/ED
15/11/2004, 11:37 AM
BTW - I'd love to see Shels in a group with the best team in Spain,

At least we got a result against the Spanish team at home when we faced them :)

Donal81
15/11/2004, 11:39 AM
to be fair to the poster from NZ, perhaps he thought that foran is considered a potential int'l by some because the post was made here in the int'l forum?

That's a fair point but every post, with the exception of the first one which simply pointed out that he had scored recently, had trashed him completely which makes his recommendation for us to 'get real' quite unusual.

BobbySands
27/11/2004, 4:53 PM
I started this thread in in international section as I believe Richie was once on the fringes of the national side. He scored again today v Dunferline and got another one during the week. That must be five or six in the last month.

Plastic Paddy
27/11/2004, 4:55 PM
At least we got a result against the Spanish team at home when we faced them :)

err... umm... dontcha just hate it when subsequent results come up and bite yer arse like that? :p

Barca who? ;)

Slash/ED
27/11/2004, 5:40 PM
I started this thread in in international section as I believe Richie was once on the fringes of the national side. He scored again today v Dunferline and got another one during the week. That must be five or six in the last month.

If red card Richie ever got into the Ireland squad ahead of Jason Byrne, to name one of many who should be ahead of him, it'd be an absolute joke. He should never be considered for Ireland. Besides, Don Givens 'retired' him, so I don't think he'll be considered, to be honest I don't think he was ever on the fringes of the national side.

And PP, touché....For now anyway, until we hammer Real in next years third round qualifyer ;)

TerryPhelan
29/11/2004, 11:25 AM
yessirree foran belongs among that bunch of gofornothingnobodies. capping crap players demeans the value of an irish cap.

Gofornothing? Trundle, for one, is going for a song at the moment - bound for a higher division.

Anyway, the value of an Irish cap has been irrevocably demeaned by our history of making internationals out of the likes of Mick Milligan, Liam Daish, Liam O'Brien, Eddie McGoldrick, Alan Kernaghan, Don Goodman, Curtis Fleming, Alan Moore and my good self, to name but a few. The lost souls of Lansdowne, where are they now...

By the by, did anyone else hear that Keith O'Neill is making a come back?!!! Won 7-0 last week, playing on the same team as the great Chris Morris! Believe!
http://www.elevenaside.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=14758

TheJamaicanP.M.
29/11/2004, 4:33 PM
Gofornothing? Trundle, for one, is going for a song at the moment - bound for a higher division.

Anyway, the value of an Irish cap has been irrevocably demeaned by our history of making internationals out of the likes of Mick Milligan, Liam Daish, Liam O'Brien, Eddie McGoldrick, Alan Kernaghan, Don Goodman, Curtis Fleming, Alan Moore and my good self, to name but a few. The lost souls of Lansdowne, where are they now...

By the by, did anyone else hear that Keith O'Neill is making a come back?!!! Won 7-0 last week, playing on the same team as the great Chris Morris! Believe!

Terry, you sound like you should be fuuny, but you're not. Liam Daish was supposed to be the answer to our centre-back problems for a while but he picked up a serious injury that finished his career. Eddie McGoldrick and Alan Kernaghan helped us to the World Cup finals in 94. They both played in our final game against the North. Curtis Fleming was a Premiership footballer who always gave 110% for Ireland. What demeens playing for Ireland is those players who consider themselves too good to turn up for certain games. So stop talking sh!te Terry.

b_mcsweeney
29/11/2004, 10:30 PM
i'm amazed keith o'neills still alive and kicking, the amount of injuries hes had, was convinced he'd fall in a hole and off himself or some such.

as for richie, as mentioned above, he was kicked out of the u21s by don given back in the day (broke curfew, went missing for the night, came back and told don he had 'woman troubles', if remember the story correctly). his times been and gone far as any outside shot at a senior caps concerned i'd guess.

TerryPhelan
30/11/2004, 11:01 AM
Terry, you sound like you should be fuuny, but you're not. Liam Daish was supposed to be the answer to our centre-back problems for a while but he picked up a serious injury that finished his career. Eddie McGoldrick and Alan Kernaghan helped us to the World Cup finals in 94. They both played in our final game against the North. Curtis Fleming was a Premiership footballer who always gave 110% for Ireland. What demeens playing for Ireland is those players who consider themselves too good to turn up for certain games. So stop talking sh!te Terry.

Chillax the fcukin khaks there, JamaicanPM - and how on earth are you able to tell that I sound like I should be 'fuuny' (sic) but in fact am not? If I'm not funny then why the hell do you think I sound like I should be? There was nothing in there of a whackass 'how's about this for a larf' schlock nature. I merely try and write a bit on the vibrant side of life, try to make things sound interesting. I'm not trying to be a fcuking comedian, I'm just doing what people do on discussion boards - discussing things like footie, in a non-serious environment.

And I do not need you to point out what Eddie McG, Alan Kernaghan or Curtis Fleming did for Ireland. Obviously I know exactly what these lads have done in a green shirt (Kernaghan v Salinas, Lansdowne '93; Milligan's one cap wonder v Russia '94; Liam Daish was embarrassing against Wales when we played them out at RDS I think it was - outpaced by Mark Pembridge of all people. Curtis was unspectacular at best). So yes, it was tongue in cheek when I referred to these altogether unspectacular and average players as 'demeaning' the value of the Irish cap - that obviously is much too harsh and only meant in jest - I happen to think it is quite funny that we can give caps to such below-average players (although usually not many). I for one find it a good laugh to reflect on all these players who have fallen by the wayside (Alan Mahon, Gareth Whalley, Dominic Foley etc) and think back nostaligcally about their exploits during their brief time in an Irish jersey.

So chill out, for fcuk's sake. I'm not trying to play the comedian, I'm just having a laugh. :eek:

drummerboy
30/11/2004, 11:16 AM

Don Goodman never played for Ireland. There was a guy who played against Wales, Big Pauls last cap, from Wimbledon Jon Goodwan or Goodwin.

While some of the players you mentioned above never became established internationals, they were worth trying out. Kernaghan had a great game against Demark in Copenhagen in WC 1994 qualifier. The likes of Moore, Mahon, McGoldrick and Fleming were all worthy of a chance to wear the green shirt.

Capping guys in their late twenties or early thirties like Bernie Slaven is a joke.

Plastic Paddy
30/11/2004, 11:38 AM
It was Jon Goodman, then of Wimbledon. Twelve whole minutes in an Ireland shirt. :o

Speaking of Bernie Slaven (who is still revered on Teesside and was tipped a couple of years back to become Middlesbrough's first directly-elected mayor) and other late caps, I see that one-cap Owen Coyle is still banging the goals in at the tender age of 38; this time for Airdrie United in the Scottish First Division. I think he was worth more myself than the eight minutes against Holland that he actually got. Ah well. Isn't hindsight wonderful?

:) PP

Junior
30/11/2004, 12:46 PM
Capping guys in their late twenties or early thirties like Bernie Slaven is a joke.

Out of interest how old was Kavanagh when we first capped him? His recent performances more than disprove your statement IMO.

Bowsy
30/11/2004, 12:51 PM
Out of interest how old was Kavanagh when we first capped him? His recent performances more than disprove your statement IMO.

I think he was only 24/25 when he got his first cap back in 1998/99ish.

eirebhoy
30/11/2004, 12:57 PM
Aye what a silly thing to say. If you're not good enough at 22 you will never be good enough? Players improve over time and if someone like Kavanagh was 19 or 20 (with his current ability) he'd be in the team without hesitation IMHO.

TerryPhelan
30/11/2004, 1:57 PM
It was Jon Goodman, then of Wimbledon. Twelve whole minutes in an Ireland shirt. :o

Speaking of Bernie Slaven (who is still revered on Teesside and was tipped a couple of years back to become Middlesbrough's first directly-elected mayor) and other late caps, I see that one-cap Owen Coyle is still banging the goals in at the tender age of 38; this time for Airdrie United in the Scottish First Division. I think he was worth more myself than the eight minutes against Holland that he actually got. Ah well. Isn't hindsight wonderful?

:) PP

Aye, Jon Goodman - that's the one. Thanks Packie.

I agree about Owen Coyle too; at the time he deserved a longer crack of the whip than he got. 38 years young and still banging in the goals - reminds me of Big Cas's lengthy swansong abroad with Marseille when he took the French league by storm! Was he included in the '94 World Cup squad by any chance (I remember the RTE World Cup guide came out and he was listed among the squad of players - little inset and profile of him. That said, Mick Milligan and Liam Daish were also included, so maybe it was before the official squad was announced... don't tell me they were in it too?!!!)

And wasn't Stephen Geoghegan on the bench the day Coyle got his cap too?

TerryPhelan
30/11/2004, 1:59 PM
Was he included in the '94 World Cup squad

Referring to Coyle, not Cascarino here. Just to clarify...

Hibs4Ever
30/11/2004, 2:08 PM
Was at the Hibs v Motherwell game too, Foran was absolute rubbish. Although he was playing on right side of midfield, so was being marked by Steve Glass, not Murdoch.

Donal81
30/11/2004, 2:50 PM
So chill out, for fcuk's sake. I'm not trying to play the comedian, I'm just having a laugh.

Bang on, Terry, sometimes the lack of a sense of humour around this place is frightening.

Slash/ED
30/11/2004, 5:23 PM
That bloke who got capped against Finland in the 3-0 win recently, Jim Godowin I think was his name would have to come high on the list. What's he upto now? And of course, the magical 45 minutes masterclass of defending that was Butlers debut and only cap would put him in contention.

NY Hoop
30/11/2004, 5:34 PM
That bloke who got capped against Finland in the 3-0 win recently, Jim Godowin I think was his name would have to come high on the list. What's he upto now? And of course, the magical 45 minutes masterclass of defending that was Butlers debut and only cap would put him in contention.

Or in poland for the 10 seconds of jason byrnes debut (a record BTW).

"All the way to poland and you never touched the ball" :D :D :D

KOH

SaucyJack
30/11/2004, 5:38 PM

he's still with Stockport

Jim Goodwin (http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Profiles/0,,10419~6827,00.html)

b_mcsweeney
30/11/2004, 9:35 PM
i'm always slightly disappointed that mickey evans got a cap. did he come on for his debut, then get taken off again, and was never seen again in a green jersey till he signed for plymouth?

eirebhoy
30/11/2004, 10:09 PM
Or in poland for the 10 seconds of jason byrnes debut (a record BTW).

"All the way to poland and you never touched the ball" :D :D :D

KOH
Quinn and Doyle also travelled and didn't touch a ball. :)

pineapple stu
01/12/2004, 12:49 PM

Nah, Goodman got more than that - do you not remember his solo run through the Macedonian defence to set up David Kelly's goal in 1997? :eek: :p He got at least four caps... Played in Romania as well (1-0 defeat)

Plastic Paddy
01/12/2004, 1:14 PM
It wasn't down to the quality of Goodman's contribution in a green shirt, honest... :) Much of the nineties was a blur for me, I'm afraid. But I shan't go into that here. :eek: :D

Donal81
01/12/2004, 1:28 PM
I don't remember too much of the McCarthy early years, to be honest. I remember Goodman getting a start against Wales or Poland, someone like that. I don't remember Mickey Evans, that seems like a bit of a shambles. Who's this Trundle character? I've only been on this website for the past three months, previously relied on the dailies for soccer info, I realise that you can't get any on-the-ground information anywhere else than here. Weird. :confused:

Hibs4Ever
01/12/2004, 1:38 PM
Trundle plays for Swansea. Seems a bit of a ****

DolansWaistcoat
01/12/2004, 4:20 PM
Trundle plays for Swansea. Seems a bit of a ****

Ya he seems to a **** alright. ;) :D

Junior
01/12/2004, 4:24 PM
Nah, Goodman got more than that - do you not remember his solo run through the Macedonian defence to set up David Kelly's goal in 1997? :eek: :p He got at least four caps... Played in Romania as well (1-0 defeat)

Did he really playin that Romania game (Keano missed a pen). I was at that game and I can't even recall this fella at all.