PDA

View Full Version : The big one

Pages : [1] 2

outspoken
24/08/2014, 8:20 AM
Simply put this is the biggest game of the entire season. Winner pretty much takes home the title with them. Section O were superb in tallaght on Friday gone by and expect them to have their biggest night of the season so far in tolka too with one bus already 3/4 full. You can book your seat through the usual platforms.

I'm confident wel beat shels and the fact they have a cup replay Tuesday night should help but I'm still worried about our formation and team selection. Don had a shocker in tallaght and needs to have a run up front especially with Davy struggling for support in recent games. I'd expect Mulhall to come back into the fold with Havo shifting back across to left back but the big issue on this team remains the wingers or lack of them and Kevin O'Connor really is wasted out on the flank so id love him to start in a 3 man midfield with ricer and Salmo and Rhys just didn't do enough to convince me in tallaght albeit against much tougher opposition.

A point will do us fine but the motivation of this team always seems to be go for the 3 and as a fan that's fantastic to see. Let's get behind the boys Friday night lads from beginning to end and make this the last trip to tolka for a long time!

Cabs88
25/08/2014, 5:23 PM
Can't wait for this one, really is a massive game. It's been said a lot, but we really do need a big away support. As regards the game itself, TC has a few decisions to make. Rhys or Sammo in the middle, and the two full back positions are up for grabs. That's allowing for no suspensions or injuries of course. Hoping we can sneak a win, be a great boost for us. Judging by the players interviews they seem well up for it.

outspoken
25/08/2014, 5:55 PM
Happy to report 40 seats already snapped up and it's only Monday. This really is shaping up to be an epic encounter and you can be part of it. Details on how to book are available on the section o Facebook and twitter pages as well as Ltfc.ie

bennocelt
25/08/2014, 5:57 PM
I put my name down for two, dusted the cobwebs of an old Longford scarf, looking forward to it. Where do ye guys usually get the bus from?

outspoken
25/08/2014, 9:17 PM
I put my name down for two, dusted the cobwebs of an old Longford scarf, looking forward to it. Where do ye guys usually get the bus from?

Good Man fair play to ya, yeah we are hoping that as many people as possible will bring scarves and flags with them to create as much colour as we do noise. Just across from Lidl, probably be leaving around 5-15 but details will be confirmed on Facebook page.

Mister X
25/08/2014, 9:34 PM
Where do ye guys usually get the bus from?

bus is leaving from the dublin road, across for lidl...

Acornvilla
25/08/2014, 10:37 PM
Tempted to make my own way to the match, but we'd only lose if I did, so probably best I abstain.

bennocelt
25/08/2014, 11:17 PM
Good Man fair play to ya, yeah we are hoping that as many people as possible will bring scarves and flags with them to create as much colour as we do noise. Just across from Lidl, probably be leaving around 5-15 but details will be confirmed on Facebook page.

Ha thanks, but I might add I'm not coming directly over from Basel, home at the moment:p

Edit: Longford crowd looked decent in tallaght on SR. what were the numbers?

outspoken
26/08/2014, 1:03 PM
Ha thanks, but I might add I'm not coming directly over from Basel, home at the moment:p

Edit: Longford crowd looked decent in tallaght on SR. what were the numbers?

We had a full 32 seater and then loads of people drove id say minimum 150

outspoken
26/08/2014, 1:04 PM
First bus should fill up any time today so I'd expect us to have at least 200 fans if not more in tolka

ltfc_2004
26/08/2014, 2:59 PM
If we cant get fans for this one ............. Should be a great atmosphere and I still cant forget the Shels muppets giving us grief earlier this season in Tolka ......... its there for the taking .....

nigel-harps1954
26/08/2014, 3:38 PM
First bus should fill up any time today so I'd expect us to have at least 200 fans if not more in tolka

So, the entire home support are going? :cool:

IrishRossi
26/08/2014, 3:45 PM

no were not all going some of us have work

Longfordian
26/08/2014, 4:46 PM

I know you're joking but I'd say that won't be too far off as there's quite a large number of Town fans who are Dublin based, including myself. I'd expect some lapsed fans to come out for this one too.

Bosco
28/08/2014, 2:13 PM

Yeah sorry to ruin your joke but the answer is yes and maybe more..

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 2:33 PM
Rumour on Twitter that the game is off due to the floodlights issue. That'd be a real sickener.

outspoken
28/08/2014, 3:21 PM
Rumour on Twitter that the game is off due to the floodlights issue. That'd be a real sickener.

Had a horrible feeling all day this might happen given the extensive damage from Tuesday night. They've had all week to fix it so if it's called off they should face action from the FAI but we know that will never happen coz they don't give 2 scratches about the league and how unprofessional it has become

Bosco
28/08/2014, 3:28 PM
Be very disappointing if it's true, hopefully they'll announce it either way tonight rather then waiting until the last minute.

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 4:16 PM
Had a horrible feeling all day this might happen given the extensive damage from Tuesday night. They've had all week to fix it so if it's called off they should face action from the FAI but we know that will never happen coz they don't give 2 scratches about the league and how unprofessional it has become

Latest rumour is that they're testing the lights at 6.00. Would have thought they'd know by now if it was fixed. If they didn't have a game on Monday the game could be played Saturday or Sunday afternoon but it'll probably be a midweek game now which is a pain in the arse for most away fans.

outspoken
28/08/2014, 5:11 PM
Latest rumour is that they're testing the lights at 6.00. Would have thought they'd know by now if it was fixed. If they didn't have a game on Monday the game could be played Saturday or Sunday afternoon but it'll probably be a midweek game now which is a pain in the arse for most away fans.

Croke park is packed all weekend so they mightn't get permission this late in the day.

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 5:21 PM
Croke park is packed all weekend so they mightn't get permission this late in the day.

Yeah I forgot about that. Fook it play it in Dalymount, I want the game tomorrow!

outspoken
28/08/2014, 5:50 PM
Yeah I forgot about that. Fook it play it in Dalymount, I want the game tomorrow!

Only for the game to be called off for holes in the playing surface 🙈

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 7:04 PM
5.45 kick off tomorrow is the latest report from Tony G on Twitter!

Macy
28/08/2014, 7:37 PM
The club can't agree to that at this short notice, and shels couldn't force it through either surely?

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 7:42 PM
Seems like they have agreed to it. God knows why, can't think it suits anyone except maybe the players.

Macy
28/08/2014, 7:47 PM
I'm more disgusted with town going along with this than I am with shels tbh. Feck all consideration for the fans.

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 7:52 PM
Agree. Can't see the logic at all unless the management think this is a good time to play Shels? Can't imagine the home supporters will be thrilled either.

Keen2win
28/08/2014, 7:58 PM
I'd have to assume that it suited the players the best, so it was probably the right decision.

Longfordian
28/08/2014, 8:03 PM
I'd have to assume that it suited the players the best, so it was probably the right decision.

I'm sure they could have managed to work around a midweek game in a week or two. Just leaves a bad taste and if the club felt they had no choice then they should be making people aware of that ASAP, officially or unofficially. A lot of unhappy fans out there.

Macy
28/08/2014, 8:13 PM
I'm sure they could have managed to work around a midweek game in a week or two. Just leaves a bad taste and if the club felt they had no choice then they should be making people aware of that ASAP, officially or unofficially. A lot of unhappy fans out there.
Stories already changing on twitter from agreed to the change to it being done under instruction of the FAI.

Not buying it tbh, I am sure the FAI wanted it played, but don't see how they could enforce it at this short notice. If the FAI was worth a sh!te they wouldn't countenance this in the first place, let alone pressurise a club to accept it (if they even did).

outspoken
28/08/2014, 8:35 PM
This is a disaster. There has been a great buzz around this game for weeks. 2 full busses were set to travel and even today at work I heard young lads from around the town talking about the game and saying they were traveling up so all of a sudden the buzz has been totally ripped from the game and not only that it has left a bad taste in ye mouth of some and damaged our support base for future away games IMO.

As said above it has probably been done to suit the players and I can understand why de town don't want to put it back too far with the LSC final coming up and other league games still to play so I guess all we can do is try to get as many fans as possible there and make more noise than we planned on making first time round, the lads really need our support.

Macy
28/08/2014, 8:38 PM
If the Leinster senior cup is an excuse, its even more of a joke. If it was to suit the management/ team, they better deliver to try and salvage something from this farce.

DOC1982
28/08/2014, 8:43 PM
If Da town win, they call play the game at dawn

bennocelt
28/08/2014, 9:30 PM
Just had to send a text to cancel the two seats on bus, unfortunately cant make it that early, pity. So thats the Bohs Rovers game and now this, jesus the LOI!!!!

wullie
28/08/2014, 9:39 PM
I don't see how the player's are going to be impressed with the change. They have to go to their main employer and try and get time off work at short notice. If they don't get the time off, will they be available for kick off.

Darklordsbane
29/08/2014, 3:59 AM
Surely the kick off time has to do with daylight rather than Shelbourne messing us about or the FAI being a bunch of tits, I have to agree the time is awful, Friday traffic at that time will be a nightmare plus parking restrictions will be in play (no pun intended)
personally I would have preferred it to be put off for a weekend game and make it the last game of the season rather than going to Ballybofey (possibley looking for points), that could have been a possible title desider, massive crowds, and plenty of money for both clubs, but I guess that wouldn't suit either as it might affect the playoff games

Macy
29/08/2014, 8:29 AM
Surely the kick off time has to do with daylight rather than Shelbourne messing us about or the FAI being a bunch of tits, I have to agree the time is awful, Friday traffic at that time will be a nightmare plus parking restrictions will be in play (no pun intended)
Obviously it's because of daylight - but it shels that haven't fixed a problem that happened on Monday. Shels, the FAI, and the club are being a bunch of tits by thinking it's acceptable to change kick off at this short notice. Biggest game of the season, and instead of being something good with a big crowd, it can be filed in the embarrassment file(?), with Dalyer's holes, and Mondays floodlight failure.

This league, the FAI and the clubs, do everything possible to turn a potential PR success into a PR disaster.

Bosco
29/08/2014, 8:44 AM
Unbelievably lucky that I booked a half day off work at the last minute on Wednesday but I am still fuming about this. Such a big build up to a game in Longford anyway and what promised to be our biggest away league crowd since we've went down and it's all blown up in our faces because of a bunch of cowboys.I can imagine if the situation was reversed there would be no way Shels would put up with it!Would have been very disappointed if the game was to be called off but to change it the way they have is an absolute farce. People from the outside give the league a very hard time and it's at times like this its pretty much indefensible, it's an absolute laughing stock once again.

ltfc_2004
29/08/2014, 9:25 AM
Its stupid for the majority of fans and it the biggest game of the season, luckily I work in the City Centre and have flexi time ..............and will be able to make it. I should just bring a tent as going to Tolka and then Croke Park twice over the weekend .............

Longfordian
29/08/2014, 9:38 AM
I'll hopefully be able to nip out of work a bit early and get there so it doesn't put me out too much but as said above it's just ruining the whole buzz that was building up and the big crowd that was travelling.

Acornvilla
29/08/2014, 9:49 AM
Just win lads!!

nigel-harps1954
29/08/2014, 10:10 AM
Not to put the foot in, but a couple of points;

Far as I'm aware, a game can't be rescheduled less than two weeks before it's due to take place.

Floodlights are tremendously expensive to get fixed. It's not a case of simply changing the bulbs when the whole system blows up. I'm sure Shels aren't exactly rolling in money at the minute either.

Longford have to had agreed to the change in kick-off time.

With the greatest of respect, the travelling support is one of the last things considered in the change and rightly so. Players, management and officials have to come first when making these decisions.

Some of the reactions have been a bit mental to this decision. It's inconvenient, and an annoyance, and I genuinely feel sorry for the fans stuck in this, but at the end of the day, the best decision was made for everyone involved in the match and it goes ahead rather than dragging on potentially for weeks on end and the prospect of a Monday or Tuesday night, where I'd dare say, it'd be a struggle to get even a quarter of those travelling tonight to go.

Macy
29/08/2014, 10:23 AM
Some of the reactions have been a bit mental to this decision. It's inconvenient, and an annoyance, and I genuinely feel sorry for the fans stuck in this, but at the end of the day, the best decision was made for everyone involved in the match and it goes ahead rather than dragging on potentially for weeks on end and the prospect of a Monday or Tuesday night, where I'd dare say, it'd be a struggle to get even a quarter of those travelling tonight to go.
An 8pm or 7.45pm midweek game getting a quarter of those travelling for a 5.45pm, changed at less that 24hours from the original kick off?

Convinced you're on a wind up, so leaving it at that!

Bosco
29/08/2014, 10:36 AM
I don't think anyone actually thinks it's just a matter of changing a few light bulbs!I'm more annoyed at the ridiculousness of the situation, changing a game to such an inconvenient time at such short notice due to a farcical situation. I know a few lapsed fans who haven't been to a game in years that I told to come along knowing it would be a great atmosphere and a great advert for the league and now to have to explain that it's actually been changed to such a ridiculous time is embarrassing.

The reactions may be a bit over the top but it's the equivalent of a cup final for us and for people to find out they can't go the night before is very harsh. I'd also disagree that there would be a smaller crowd for such an important game midweek given people had a bit of notice.

nigel-harps1954
29/08/2014, 10:56 AM
What I had meant, was there'd be less travelling to a midweek game than were supposed to be going to the game tonight, and not those going to the earlier kick-off.

Acornvilla
29/08/2014, 6:47 PM
Hon the draw!!

Longfordian
29/08/2014, 8:16 PM
Lucky enough but we'll take it. OK performance. We were a bit too defensive I felt, like a team set up not to concede first and foremost. We were inviting Shels onto us. Defence did well generally but there were one or two hairy moments. Rice and Flynn best for us on the night in my opinion. Jamie and Havo solid too, Pat Sullivan a bit too casual at times. Main thing is we've kept our lead over them and we're one game closer to promotion.

Martinho II
29/08/2014, 10:19 PM
game was too nervy for my liking. shels were unlucky not to score in 1st half when shot hit post after poor defendin on our part. I am delighted the rot has being stopped! thought it was Pat Flynns best game for us he was immense.. I thought we were lucky but I would gladly take the point as we defended superbly at times.. some shockin decisions for Shels. how come Don Cowan didnt get a peno I will never know?

Longfordian
29/08/2014, 10:37 PM
From where I was it looked like Cowan at the very least exaggerated any contact there may have been. He threw himself down after running on about two strides from the challenge. Can easily see why he was booked. He had a shocking half, he was at fault for that chance that hit the post he made no effort to track his man and stop the cross. Rice and Salmo both gave him a right bollocking for that. Lorcan Shannon worked hard when he came on.

Martinho II
29/08/2014, 10:42 PM
From where I was it looked like Cowan at the very least exaggerated any contact there may have been. He threw himself down after running on about two strides from the challenge. Can easily see why he was booked. He had a shocking half, he was at fault for that chance that hit the post he made no effort to track his man and stop the cross. Rice and Salmo both gave him a right bollocking for that. Lorcan Shannon worked hard when he came on.

was wonderin who it was tbh.. that change in ko time didnt effect the amt of away fans.. we had 1 52 seater.. the other one that was canclld was a 32 seater!