PDA

View Full Version : names and shamed, your music tastes

Pages : [1] 2

max power
08/11/2004, 3:15 PM
ok we humm along to the odd dodgey tune, but what is in ur music collection u'd rather people didn't see.....

as a dj i have a lot of stuff in my work bag, j donavan's greatest hits, Barry manilow's collection to name just 2 albums,

but in my cd rack at home i have to say the bee gees collextion is cheese but a personal fav.....also take that, yrs i have the greatest hits and the shame of shame brian kennedy :o

so come on name and shame and let the taste of others make u feel that little bit better

Macy
08/11/2004, 3:19 PM
The Oasis albums since Morning Glory. That's my collection. If you're talking about the CD's in the household, the list is endless, as the missus has no taste in music....

Gary
08/11/2004, 3:19 PM
Some people seem to reckon I should hide my Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong CDs.

Of my current lot, there isnt much to cringe over, but to look back at some of my 12s - my God, some dodgy stuff.
4th dimension
Living Joy
and a crap load of very dodgy dutch white labels which have long since been melted/thrown away/sold to suckers.

max power
08/11/2004, 3:30 PM
Nik Kershaw's 'Human Racing' and the Greatest Hits of REO Speedwagon. I like both albums, but they usually draw ridicule. Oh and I've got something by Sydney Youngblood somewhere, think it was a freebie with Smash Hits in the late 80s...

also please igonre conor and his simple minds cd's , we all know he has a problem ;) ha ha sydeny youngblood, if only i could...bouncing his basket ball . i have that reo speedwagon album myself

gary got into a lot of jazz lately, nothin wrong with those.

just thought of 2 more, 5 star and rick astley, i have both on cd so they aren't too old :D

Don Vito
08/11/2004, 3:34 PM
Garth Brooks. God just thinkin about it makes me embarassed, don't think I'm alone on this one either-come who's brave enough to admit it???? Everybody loved him around 1994, he sold out Croke Park so somebody round here was sure to have been at that gig. To be honest though, I still like that song The Dance.

I never did line-dancing though, unlike JoeSemi and Leon who actually paid for lessons in the parish hall!! :eek:

drinkfeckarse
08/11/2004, 3:37 PM
Let me see..........hundreds of cd's in my collection and more than a few that I wouldn't publicly admit to.

Shania Twain, 2 Unlimited, Celine Dion :o :o :eek:

What was I thinking!!! :D :confused:

max power
08/11/2004, 3:38 PM
Let me see..........hundreds of cd's in my collection and more than a few that I wouldn't publicly admit to.

Shania Twain, 2 Unlimited, Celine Dion :o :o :eek:

What was I thinking!!! :D :confused:

oh i have all them too

carrickharp
08/11/2004, 3:40 PM
The Saw Doctors AAAAAAAAAAA
The London Boys :eek:

max power
08/11/2004, 3:48 PM
ha ha london boys, i've been thinkin bout you :p

cullenswood
08/11/2004, 4:26 PM
ha ha london boys, i've been thinkin bout you :p

Feck it, that song will be stuck in my head all evening now! :(

lopez
08/11/2004, 4:42 PM
A dodgy CD compilation of some dubious seventies rockers (The Piano (??)) featuring Andrew Gold :eek: , Air Supply :eek: , REO Speedwagon :eek: :eek: . Also in my collection lies Elton John, George Michael, Queen: Don't ask!

Pat O' Banton
08/11/2004, 4:46 PM

Shania Twain, :o :o :eek:

Not even a CD but a Shania Platanum collection video :eek: and actually I'm not ashamed of it!

Longfordian
08/11/2004, 4:51 PM
Nothing wrong with watching Shania Twain, but listening to her..no thanks..as for me nothing that im really ashamed of as I don't have enough dough to buy crap CDs!

Plastic Paddy
08/11/2004, 5:07 PM
I can safely say that there's nothing in my CD, album or mp3 music collections that is embarrassing. I've always had a spot-on musical taste. But then I would say that. :D :cool:

:D PP

the 12 th man
09/11/2004, 7:36 AM
c'ant explain how these got in my cds but they're in there

cool and the gang "best of"
kylie minouge /the one with " i'm, spinning aroud"
"dirty dancing" the sound track
sister sledge "live" :eek:

green goblin
09/11/2004, 8:15 AM
My favourite waste of time- Owen Paul. :o

lopez
09/11/2004, 10:32 AM
Hey, that sounds like a good 'un.You're either taking the p*ss or showing your age! :D

sadloserkid
10/11/2004, 2:00 PM
Hmmm... the sad fact of the matter is that most of you would probably consider the overwhelming majority of my CD collection to be dodgy, being full to the brim with the kind of angsty, mostly American alternative/rock/metal/punk that I shoulda probably outgrown by now. This thread happened before actually, I even suspect that I might have started it... However I will own up to the following...

EMF - Schubert Dip
Europe - Greatest Hits (and more hair metal to boot)
Joshua Kadison - Painted Desert Serenade (the most embarrassing by far, I had a chick over one night and she was browsing through the CDs and was all like 'Cool, cool, cool' until she found this and said 'Oh my Mum has this!'

There are others too that I know I should be a bit wary of owning up to but I'm not for some reason.

4 Def Leppard albums. That's right. 4. And I'm only 23! :D

Colm
10/11/2004, 2:02 PM
I'm partial to a bit of Take That and Byran McFadden myself. ;)

'Back for Good' and 'Real to me', they'll have to get an airing on the bus on Friday! :D

the 12 th man
10/11/2004, 2:04 PM
Hmmm... the sad fact of the matter is that most of you would probably consider the overwhelming majority of my CD collection to be dodgy, being full to the brim with the kind of angsty, mostly American alternative/rock/metal/punk that I shoulda probably outgrown by now. This thread happened before actually, I even suspect that I might have started it... However I will own up to the following...

EMF - Schubert Dip
Europe - Greatest Hits (and more hair metal to boot)
Joshua Kadison - Painted Desert Serenade (the most embarrassing by far, I had a chick over one night and she was browsing through the CDs and was all like 'Cool, cool, cool' until she found this and said 'Oh my Mum has this!'

There are others too that I know I should be a bit wary of owning up to but I'm not for some reason.

4 Def Leppard albums. That's right. 4. And I'm only 23! :D

scarey ..................... :D ;)

max power
10/11/2004, 2:06 PM
I'm partial to a bit of Take That and Byran McFadden myself. ;)

'Back for Good' and 'Real to me', they'll have to get an airing on the bus on Friday! :D

thats explains the reason u talk so much $hit, your mental :D

Macy
10/11/2004, 2:08 PM
You can't say that, he's just "special" :D

Colm
10/11/2004, 2:11 PM

Some would say that I sing too much sh!t aswell!! :D

inexile
10/11/2004, 2:17 PM
for some reason known to no one includin me i bought jessica simpsons first single i wanna love you forever, found it the other day and into the fire it went wouldnt even put it into the bin for fear the binmen would be laughing at me!! also found here comes the hotstepper by ini kamoze that was class i loved it and informer by snow, remember that one? there was a line in it which im pretty certain went licky bum bum down class!!!

wws
10/11/2004, 2:45 PM
I actually bought Hysteria when it came out - on cassette - i was into simple minds def leppard and the pogues at the time - only my love for the pogues has survived the ravages of time :D

$Leon$
10/11/2004, 3:15 PM
i never did line-dancing though, unlike JoeSemi and Leon who actually paid for lessons in the parish hall!! :eek:

i would like to deny the above statement. has anyone seen the old footage of colin farrell line dancing?

to add to the above i get alot of slaggin at work for listenin to johnny cash ( the essential johnny cash) in da car. wreckon the man had da best voice i ever heard so much passion and feelin. da 2nd cd is class first one a bit too country but i'm sure i'll be listenin to it soon enough

JoeSemi
10/11/2004, 3:16 PM
Bit of Girls Aloud never hurt a fella and i'm proud to say it sits nicely on top of my collection! :D

JoeSemi
10/11/2004, 3:18 PM
I actually bought Hysteria when it came out - on cassette - i was into simple minds def leppard and the pogues at the time - only my love for the pogues has survived the ravages of time :D

Are you goin to the Point on the 23rd wws? Can't wait to hear what Shane dishes out with a skinful of porter in him! The man's a pure ledge.

drinkfeckarse
10/11/2004, 3:26 PM
Hey Hysteria and Pyromania are classics. More of a dance/electronica fan myself, but Def Leppard were easy on the ear.

Big Leppard fan in my time and still have all their stuff, wouldn't consider them to be anything to be ashamed of but I suppose some people would consider them naff.

Europe is taking it TOO far though SLK! :D :eek:

Macy
10/11/2004, 3:28 PM
to add to the above i get alot of slaggin at work for listenin to johnny cash ( the essential johnny cash) in da car. wreckon the man had da best voice i ever heard so much passion and feelin. da 2nd cd is class first one a bit too country but i'm sure i'll be listenin to it soon enough
Johnny Cash was brilliant. Even if they don't like the earlier stuff, they're obviously too ignorant to have listened to any of the American Recordings. Defo not one to be embarrassed about.

$Leon$
10/11/2004, 3:28 PM
Dunno. I mean, I often think people say that Shane MacGowan, Christy Moore, Luke Kelly or Johnny Cash had great voices. I think they had distinctive voices, but not necessarily good ones. Couldn't see Shane doing 5 octaves like Kate Bush can...

i'm not really talkin technicall ability. agree with da crowd you've named above listen to all of them myself from time to time. dey all have feelin and passion in bucket loads in their voices. as for kate i can hardly make out what shes sayin in weithering heights never mind about feel what shes sayin. what the lads above sing is more relavent to them, all sing about their lives, experiences and old folk stories. does kate actually feel pasionate about a 200 year old work of fiction.
(i no all the lads stories weren't based on personal experiences but were something they all felt strongly about. can also add the boss to the above list)

$Leon$
10/11/2004, 3:30 PM
Johnny Cash was brilliant. Even if they don't like the earlier stuff, they're obviously too ignorant to have listened to any of the American Recordings. Defo not one to be embarrassed about.

thats the sort of era stuff i'm listenin too. da video for hurt has to be the best video i've ever seen so emotional so much feelin. it'd almost bring a tear to your eye

noby
10/11/2004, 3:33 PM
Dunno. I mean, I often think people say that Shane MacGowan, Christy Moore, Luke Kelly or Johnny Cash had great voices. I think they had distinctive voices, but not necessarily good ones. Couldn't see Shane doing 5 octaves like Kate Bush can...

Musically, Kate Bush had a better voice, yes (and pretty distinctive too). But Johnny Cash's voice suited his songs/style

Plus, the likes of Whitney Houston can probably hit a fair range, but someone like Bobby Gillespie would have better passion/feeling.

Back to topic, I'm sure I've a few cd's that wouldn't be of other people's taste, but not much I'm ashamed of.
I did rush out to buy Seahorses, on the strength of John Squire, but don't dig it out much these days. I'm sure there's a few others like that.

$Leon$
10/11/2004, 3:36 PM
Kate Bush is brilliant. Her voice was stunning. Unlike a great singer in it for the cash, say like Mariah Carey, Kate often sang about the obscure but gave her all in every song. Listen to 'Wow' or 'The Man With the Child in his Eyes'

sorry conor not familiar with those tunes but i'll try and listen to them

max power
10/11/2004, 3:39 PM
def lepard and jognny cash are top drawer, hysteria was the second highest selling album of the 80's after thriller, thats some achivment.......got it on cassette many moons ago and its a proud part of my cd collection

Pat O' Banton
10/11/2004, 4:37 PM

Who the f*ck is slagging off Johny Cash? They must be musically challenged, tell them to catch themselves on and come back when they've developed some taste.

SÓC
10/11/2004, 5:12 PM
Green Day usually gets a few laughs out of people.

People outside of Cork usually say "Who?" When I say the Sultans

People in Cork usually say "Who?" when I say the Undertones (except for Teenage Kicks of course)

People everywhere usually say who when I say the Cockney Rejects

$Leon$
10/11/2004, 7:01 PM
Who the f*ck is slagging off Johny Cash? They must be musically challenged, tell them to catch themselves on and come back when they've developed some taste.

da fellas who are always slaggin me goes around at work singin WHITE SNAKE here i go again on my own
enough said

max power
10/11/2004, 7:07 PM
da fellas who are always slaggin me goes around at work singin WHITE SNAKE here i go again on my own
enough said

sorry whitesnake just got status from old skool :cool:

Partizan
10/11/2004, 9:51 PM
I have a Gilbert O'Sullivan Greatest hits CD in my collection and one of Demis Roussos LP's 'Never and ever Side A, 'My friend the wind' on Side B.'

What a voice that man had :D

lopez
10/11/2004, 10:47 PM
Who the f*ck is slagging off Johny Cash? They must be musically challenged, tell them to catch themselves on and come back when they've developed some taste. :confused: :confused: Were you the bloke that done a Jean Paul Van Damme on me a few years back when I slagged off Jim Reeves and Pat Boone in the same sentence?

I have a Gilbert O'Sullivan Greatest hits CD in my collection and one of Demis Roussos LP's 'Never and ever Side A, 'My friend the wind' on Side B.'

What a voice that man had :DYou've gotta be the coooooooolest guy I've ever met...if only for admitting that! :D

SÓC
11/11/2004, 12:02 AM
Since posting this earlier had a look through my older cds.

Found some Meat Loaf, Now 21, Best of Dance and a fair few old Oasis singles.

Also found my long lost Dirty Dancing Soundtrack. Now there was a class soundtrack, still quality, film was also wonderfully excellent

noby
11/11/2004, 8:24 AM
People outside of Cork usually say "Who?" When I say the Sultans

People in Cork usually say "Who?" when I say the Undertones

who are these people???
:confused:

noby
11/11/2004, 8:50 AM
This whole thread is pointless when you've the likes of Conor, whose not ashamed of Whitesnake, Def Leppard et al. There's just no shaming him!

$Leon$
11/11/2004, 11:32 AM
This whole thread is pointless when you've the likes of Conor, whose not ashamed of Whitesnake, Def Leppard et al. There's just no shaming him!

what sort of stuffs i your collection noby??

noby
11/11/2004, 12:17 PM
what sort of stuffs i your collection noby??

Pretty broad, Leon, with the exception of 80's big hair (and I don't mean JAMC, Cure, Nick Cave type big hair)
Actually started re-organising my cd's lastnight, alphabetically of course. Got as far as J
Off the top of my head, that included:
Abba, air, alabama 3, allentones, animals, american music club, astrud gilberto, apples in stereo, bad manners, belle & sebastian, beat, beastie boys, blur, bob marley, blades, blondie, boo radleys, beautiful south, cardigans, cure, charlatans, charles wright, captain beefheart, chicks, david bowie, david gray, divine comedy, dj shadow, desmond dekker, doves, dubstar, elvis costello & presley, fall, gentle waves, gregory isaacs, housemartins, happy mondays, inspiral carpets, inciters, intensified, jam, JAMC, johnny cash, jon spencer...

Ok. so maybe ABBA might fall into the 'shame' category, but I'd take disco over 'big hair' anyday.

Pat O' Banton
11/11/2004, 12:23 PM
Pretty broad, Leon, with the exception of 80's big hair (and I don't mean JAMC, Cure, Nick Cave type big hair)
Actually started re-organising my cd's lastnight, alphabetically of course. Got as far as J
Off the top of my head, that included:
Abba, air, alabama 3, allentones, animals, american music club, astrud gilberto, apples in stereo, bad manners, belle & sebastian, beat, beastie boys, blur, bob marley, blades, blondie, boo radleys, beautiful south, cardigans, cure, charlatans, charles wright, captain beefheart, chicks, david bowie, david gray, divine comedy, dj shadow, desmond dekker, doves, dubstar, elvis costello & presley, fall, gentle waves, gregory isaacs, housemartins, happy mondays, inspiral carpets, inciters, intensified, jam, JAMC, johnny cash, jon spencer...

Ok. so maybe ABBA might fall into the 'shame' category, but I'd take disco over 'big hair' anyday.

Your not doing bad here at all, surely to be continued tomorrow..? :)

noby
11/11/2004, 12:42 PM
Your not doing bad here at all, surely to be continued tomorrow..? :)

Hopefully. Moved in 6 months ago, but things are still a bit up in the air. I'll try for K-P tonight. I also have music collectorz on the pc, which I haven't updated for about a year. Handy little program.

noby
11/11/2004, 12:48 PM
Also found my long lost Dirty Dancing Soundtrack. Now there was a class soundtrack, still quality, film was also wonderfully excellent

Excellent soundtrack alright (with the exception of "hey baby", which was never any good)
On a similair vein, I got 'Growing up too fast: The Girl Group Anthology' which is also 'wonderfully excellent', with some very quirky stuff on it.

noby
11/11/2004, 1:38 PM
If you take out grunge and rave, 90s music was just an arid desert of non-event Britpop, boybands and forumalaic dance.

A fair enough, if slightly over-simplified analogy.
I love alot of 80's music myself, but also hate a lot of it
I also love alot of 90's music that's neither grunge, rave, britpop or boyband.