PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 13 (16th and 17th of May)

Pages : [1] 2

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 7:05 PM
So far:

PD

UCD 0 - 1 Pats
Cork 2 - 0 Derry
Drogs 0 - 0 Bohs
Limerick 0 - 1 Dundalk

FD

Galway 0 - 0 Finn Harps
Shels 0 - 0 Shamrock Rovers B
Wexford 0 - 0 Waterford

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 7:31 PM
UCD and Limerick both equalise, Pats still top as it stands.

adamd164
16/05/2014, 7:43 PM
Great response from us so far, especially for a young squad.

O'Sullivan had a header off the bar also.

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 8:03 PM
Towell misses a penalty in Limerick.

CraftyToePoke
16/05/2014, 8:16 PM
All Da Town in Thomond accorging to ET

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 8:20 PM
All Da Town in Thomond accorging to ET
You wouldn't expect any different to be fair.

Drogs 1-0 up on Bohs.

CraftyToePoke
16/05/2014, 8:22 PM
Dundalk ahead now.

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 8:29 PM
Extra time feed has **** the bed again. Showing up commentary from the opening day. Jason Byrne's just come on for Dinny Corcoran, apparently.

CraftyToePoke
16/05/2014, 8:32 PM
Yep, time standing still in Thomond also. They shall not grow old ... well, not beyond 78 minutes of Limerick / Dundalk anyway.

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 8:34 PM
Pats with their usual late goal.

edit: it wasn't a goal, game on Garth!

pineapple stu
16/05/2014, 10:23 PM
Fairly hung on there, but Pat's never really tested our keeper and we generally defended well, so I guess we deserved a point on that basis. But it was squeaky bum time for a lot of the last quarter hour in particular. Kind of makes up for the game in Richmond at the start of the season.

In other news, Kenny Browne is an utter scumbag who was very fortunate not to get sent off just after the final whistle, when he shoved Sami full force into the Pat's dug-out for no reason at all. Just came running into him and quite deliberately shoved him to the ground. Ref had blown for full time and wasn't facing the incident; MNS didn't capture it either. Maybe the fourth official saw it, but there was no red card at the time, so I don't know if any action can be taken now. Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it though.

wonder88
16/05/2014, 10:57 PM
Callaghan doing ok at UCD, a very under-rated manager I think, and really should have been given more time at Bohs. Look at the state the Dalymount outfit are in now, and after all the good work done off the field in order to increase the playing budget this season.

KeepersBall
16/05/2014, 11:09 PM
Drogs just about deserved there win, the goal was well taken by Carl Walshe but was a defensive howler.
Defender played the ball directly across his own goal just outside the box, Walshe nipped in controlled it and scored.
For a change dodgy Dave in goal played well, flapped at one cross and has a very odd way of coming to punch a ball clear, however he caught virtually every long throw in Bohs hurled at him, and that was a lot, and made one smart save from Jason Byrnes header.
Pender the Bohs left back lucky enough to stay on as he gave the lino several verbal volleys and generally flew into challenges.
Rob Harvey was the referee and while he was lenient with Pender he overall had a superb match

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2014, 1:35 AM
Nothing spectacular, but a good battling performance by 10 man Harps in Galway. Unfortunate to concede a late equaliser but such is the nature of the game. Great to be watching a game in Terryland again though.

adamd164
17/05/2014, 8:49 AM
PD stats as they stand now.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2d5g6q.png

redarmyfaction
17/05/2014, 2:40 PM
In other news, Kenny Browne is an utter scumbag who was very fortunate not to get sent off just after the final whistle, when he shoved Sami full force into the Pat's dug-out for no reason at all. Just came running into him and quite deliberately shoved him to the ground. Ref had blown for full time and wasn't facing the incident; MNS didn't capture it either. Maybe the fourth official saw it, but there was no red card at the time, so I don't know if any action can be taken now. Don't think I've ever seen abutting quite like it though.
He did something similar to Alan Keane in the Showgs last time, sent him flying into the perimeter wall with the ball out of play for a pats throw, put Keane out for a month.
Sheer malice, ref Only booked him and gave us the throw, complete minkbag.

wonder88
17/05/2014, 3:09 PM
Harps nearly scored a goal of the season last night in Terryland, Keating with an overhead, also took his goal well, fairly skinned Byrne in the process. Their no 6 had a good game and they missed him in midfield after sending off. I think the red card for Caoimhin Bonner was a bit harsh but he was reckless in how he made the tackle. Galway were very disjointed a lot of times, but they will likely bring in a few players in the window, so still have every chance in this eight team league (minus one).

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2014, 3:30 PM
Harps nearly scored a goal of the season last night in Terryland, Keating with an overhead, also took his goal well, fairly skinned Byrne in the process. Their no 6 had a good game and they missed him in midfield after sending off. I think the red card for Caoimhin Bonner was a bit harsh but he was reckless in how he made the tackle. Galway were very disjointed a lot of times, but they will likely bring in a few players in the window, so still have every chance in this eight team league (minus one)

Unbelievable technique. If that had gone in, simply would have been one of the best goals I'd ever seen.

Galway were very disjointed altogether, and the red card, while a bit harsh, is one of those ones that are generally given more often than not. Nevertheless, it was a fairly enjoyable game I thought.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/05/2014, 3:47 PM
He did something similar to Alan Keane in the Showgs last time, sent him flying into the perimeter wall with the ball out of play for a pats throw, put Keane out for a month.
Sheer malice, ref Only booked him and gave us the throw, complete minkbag.

You could see what he as going to do when he started his run from about 30 yards away

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/05/2014, 3:47 PM
Unbelievable technique. If that had gone in, simply would have been one of the best goals I'd ever seen.

Galway were very disjointed altogether, and the red card, while a bit harsh, is one of those ones that are generally given more often than not. Nevertheless, it was a fairly enjoyable game I thought.

Hows Keating doing?

Mr A
17/05/2014, 3:54 PM
Has been disrupted by injury a bit but looks the real deal. Has got a decent amount of football as McHugh has been out and McCarron has missed a lot of games also.

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2014, 3:57 PM
Hows Keating doing?

Cracking young player. Has all the attributes to be one of the top strikers in the league.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/05/2014, 9:05 PM
3 0 probably flattered us tonight as both sides had a lot of chances in the first half but we just managed to take one of ours.

Then John Russell score one of the best goals I've seen in The Showgrounds and the game petered out. What a great player that lad is.

Bray were very good though. Matthews has done a good job there.

dong
17/05/2014, 9:13 PM
Good win considering the amount of players which you would consider first team choices who we now have missing.
Peers, Keane, Ndo, Cretaro and of course Djilali.
That's a lot of good players and I can't see us pushing too far up the table with the team we had on the pitch tonight.
Wonder what the situation is with Djilali being dropped? I guess his displays over the last while were showing a certain lack of interest.

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2014, 4:30 PM
Rovers made bizarrely hard work of Athlone yesterday. Rovers create chances but fail to take them, yet Croly stubbornly refuses to play more than one striker at a time.

redarmyfaction
19/05/2014, 6:40 AM
Djilali.suspended by the club for malingering, on his way put by mutual consent to be replaced by a former Rovers player. That's two two separate rumours conflated btw.

dong
19/05/2014, 6:57 AM
Dear redarmyfaction,

Are you okay?
Your increasingly bizarre posts are worrying. I fear some sort of Alan Partridge style breakdown is afflicting you.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 12:51 PM
http://blog.blinkbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/toblerone.jpg

adamd164
19/05/2014, 5:37 PM
Djilali is quality on his day.. would love us to sign him but I think our priority will be a striker in the window.

Be interesting to see where he ends up anyway.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
19/05/2014, 8:49 PM
Baraclough is hopeful that Ndo and Keane will return later in the month, while Djilali is working towards full fitness while hampered with a troublesome knee problem.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 8:51 PM
Baraclough is hopeful that Ndo and Keane will return later in the month, while Djilali is working towards full fitness while hampered with a troublesome knee problem.
Did Baraclough kneecap him then?

SeƱor Willy
19/05/2014, 9:47 PM
Djilali is quality on his day.. would love us to sign him but I think our priority will be a striker in the window.

Be interesting to see where he ends up anyway.

Did Elding leave or was he pushed? Ye hardly can afford to sign a striker if he was told leave, some sort of compensation surely would have to e paid. There are plenty of quality strikers at City. A defence would be better, Murray has no pace.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 9:54 PM
Did Elding leave or was he pushed? Ye hardly can afford to sign a striker if he was told leave, some sort of compensation surely would have to e paid. There are plenty of quality strikers at City. A defence would be better, Murray has no pace.
What defenders in this league do have pace? Murray is slower than most but he's a terrific defender. Kenny Browne is lightning slow too but he's captaining the league champions and one of the meaner defences around. Conor Kenna captained them last year and he's not quick at all, McGuinness the year before at Sligo has never had an ounce of pace. I'd go as far as saying the defenders who really excel in this league are the ones without pace.

PartySaint
19/05/2014, 9:59 PM
What defenders in this league do have pace? Murray is slower than most but he's a terrific defender. Kenny Browne is lightning slow too but he's captaining the league champions and one of the meaner defences around. Conor Kenna captained them last year and he's not quick at all, McGuinness the year before at Sligo has never had an ounce of pace. I'd go as far as saying the defenders who really excel in this league are the ones without pace.

Ger O'Brien is our captain

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 10:01 PM
Ger O'Brien is our captain
Is he? Sorry about that. But the point stands I think - do any of the better centre halves in Ireland have a bit of pace? Peers has a bit of a break on him but I can't think of any others off hand. The lad Hoare might have the whole package but if he does I'd say he'll be off to England soon.

desaintsno.12
20/05/2014, 8:29 AM
In other news, Kenny Browne is an utter scumbag who was very fortunate not to get sent off just after the final whistle, when he shoved Sami full force into the Pat's dug-out for no reason at all. Just came running into him and quite deliberately shoved him to the ground. Ref had blown for full time and wasn't facing the incident; MNS didn't capture it either. Maybe the fourth official saw it, but there was no red card at the time, so I don't know if any action can be taken now. Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it though.

interestingly you left the bit out about Sami's antics before kenny pushed him. handy that

El-Pietro
20/05/2014, 8:47 AM

One of the few occasions when Mutual Consent means Mutual Consent. He got a couple of weeks paid up front but he wanted to leave so he could find a new club by the time the window opens.

We have two fit strikers right now. Mark O'Sullivan (who we signed from Avondale and has played every game and is surely knackered by now) and Rob Lehane who has come from the U19s and was only signed because of injuries.

Danny Morrissey should be back soon enough but we won't see Michael Rafter in a City shirt this season most likely.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 12:57 PM
What's wrong with Rafter?

mcgonigle
20/05/2014, 1:44 PM
What's wrong with Rafter?

They can't find a shirt big enough!

poster
20/05/2014, 2:04 PM
What defenders in this league do have pace? Murray is slower than most but he's a terrific defender

:timeout:

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 2:19 PM
:timeout:
Two league titles at Rovers and another one at Cork, bucko, all three as captain. He's getting on a bit now but hasn't declined all that much as he never had pace to lose.

pineapple stu
20/05/2014, 3:01 PM
interestingly you left the bit out about Sami's antics before kenny pushed him. handy that
What antics would they be? Celebrating a good draw?

Does that justify being pushed into a dug-out?

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 7:02 PM
PD:

Athlone v Sligo
Dundalk v Drogheda
Limerick v Cork

LSC:

Sheriff YC v Longford
St Pat's v Shamrock Rovers

No score in the league games so far but Longford 2-0 up within ten minutes at Sheriff, former Rovers men Rhys Gorman and Lorcan Shannon with the goals. Could be a long night at Clontarf.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 7:03 PM
It's now 2-0 to Cork - two goals in four minutes for Garry Buckley and Billy Dennehy. Cork will go top I believe if Dundalk fail to beat Drogs.

nigel-harps1954
20/05/2014, 7:06 PM
http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/26674/1/

Longford are playing with nine men against nobody. It's a bit of an unfair advantage.

Jofspring
20/05/2014, 7:08 PM
Limerick 0-2 cork

Two gifts for cork.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 7:09 PM
http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/26674/1/

Longford are playing with nine men against nobody. It's a bit of an unfair advantage.
Still no guarantees with Tony Cousins in charge.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 7:16 PM
Dundalk 1-0 up, Gannon.

Sligo 1-0 up, Ledwith.

Buckley is the only player who's scored today that Rovers haven't released in the past 24 months.

nigel-harps1954
20/05/2014, 7:54 PM
Limerick 1-2 Cork

Nesta99
20/05/2014, 8:21 PM
6-0 in Oriel. Ward on for a run out!

7-0 now. 2300 and something at match.