PDA

View Full Version : Where do Longford Town FC go from here?

Pages : [1] 2

Dillo
27/10/2004, 8:12 PM
Since that famous night down in Cobh when LTFC gained promotion to the Premier Division it really has been a remarkable few years to say the least. The development of 6,500 capacity Flancare Park, reaching five cup finals and winning three, qualifying for Europe for the third time and the Setanta Cup and finishing as high as fifth in the league reveal a swift and fascinating transformation in the club's fortunes.

But as a club, I just wonder what's the next step for Longford Town to take? Unfortunately, I really don't think it's possible for De Town to go full-time professional. But if we are to challenge the likes of Shels, Bohs and Cork for the League, turning professional is the only way in doing so. Our current squad, in my view is nowhere near good enough to win the league. :confused:

Financially, the club is undoubtedly prospering and for it to gain further success it is essential that a number of quality signings are made in the forseeable future. I just wonder though if Town have reached their limits (is this as good as it's going to get?) or can they expand their horizons as far as qualifying for the Champions League proper?? Aim for the moon and you'll reach the stars! :cool:

What do others think?

Macy
28/10/2004, 7:17 AM
Financially, the club is undoubtedly prospering and for it to gain further success it is essential that a number of quality signings are made in the forseeable future. I just wonder though if Town have reached their limits (is this as good as it's going to get?) or can they expand their horizons as far as qualifying for the Champions League proper?? Aim for the moon and you'll reach the stars!
Financially prospering? I very much doubt it, like every club in the league I'd say our finances are stretched to the limit. Until at least half of those that went on Sunday go regularly and we're getting average attendances of at least 2500 (with big games up to 4-5000) I think we're doing as well as we can expect.

I'd love us to go full time, but until the people that turn up for finals become regulars then it's not realistic. If people would rather bankrupt the club for a season of challenging, well I hope the committee have more sense.... Even full time there's no garantee - look at Bohs and Drogs, big wage bills no return.

I'd actually like us to retain the bones of the squad and try and kick on from early next season. Which has been our downfall for several seasons going back to the Spock/Lawlor season.

Priority has to be a regular goal scorer (I think we've found our midfield answer in Deano) - one that will finish more chances than he misses (someone like Seanie?). Who that may be I don't know, the only one I can think of who's realistic is Adrian Murphy. McHugh won't leave Harps with them coming up, and we couldn't afford Crowe or Byrne.

Midfield, hopefully Gary Murphy will come back and do the biz. Defence we're good enough. There's no keeper available that is better than Digger.

Wiseguy
28/10/2004, 12:27 PM
We're fine at the back but we need 2 or 3 better midfielders and a goal scorer as this is where we have fallen down each season.I think we have arrived at a point where we need a big step to move forward as i think the league will be more competitive next season but with some decent players out of contract at other clubs there should be enough talent on offer to solve some of our problems but can we afford much? the fact that we have europen footie next season & the setanta cup should be enough of an incentive to attract most players.

Martinho II
28/10/2004, 1:45 PM
i was speaking to one of the boys on the coaching staff at the weekend and he informed me that gary oneill wont be cumin tothe club as shels have first option on him. according to my source,the reason o neill is goin to shels is cos shels are owed €15000in rent from continity home farm and olie byrne will waive it only if gary on niell will come!

a few players i would love to see cum to us next season-adam trundle, stewie (if he wants to!,)trevor vaughan, daryl murphy, willie bruton

should be an excellent season for us next year,the setanta cup will be an adventure and a half! and europe again! :p

Macy
28/10/2004, 3:09 PM
Its not a case of more money (though we could do with a sugar daddy like da hoops). Its a case of gettin' more miserable ba8ta8d* off their @sses out to Flancare on a Saturday night ! ;) ;)
That's the same thing isn't it? btw There's more to the Rovers situation than meets the eye. It's not €9mill to do with what they like...

Longfordian
28/10/2004, 7:16 PM
Trevor Vaughan feckin hell..seen the size of him have you..think a slower and fatter Andy Myler..Granted, we do need a striker and a midfielder preferably one who can play left wing too

Dillo
28/10/2004, 7:41 PM
Some very interesting thoughts there lads.
I would have to agree with you there Macy in retaining the core of the team and building a new squad around this group of players. However I believe big Deano is being slightly overrated. He has definately improved as a player but I still have my doubts about him. Gary Murphy has a certain amount of footballing ability but he is too light and will struggle to ever make an impact in the EL. As for Adrian Murphy he has scored goals for Athlone in a very mediocre league but whether he can do it in the Premier remains to be seen.
Wiseguy is spot on in saying that Town have arrived at a point where it'l take a big step to move forward. Two or three new midfielders are needed for sure as is a natural goalscorer. Hopefully European football and the Setanta Cup will be the necessary incentive to lure some big names. I have always agreed with you Cop on that the League should be our main priority. Why should we settle for second best? As someone recently pointed out, Longford people seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to sporting achievements. Longford Town's next ambition should be to win the league. Whether this means turning professional or not I don't know...

Macy
29/10/2004, 7:41 AM
As someone recently pointed out, Longford people seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to sporting achievements.
Longford people have a complex about supporting a team week in, week out. If they did then turning pro, or having the budget to compete for the league would be a reality. We can bring over 5000 to cup finals but struggle to get a 1000 Longford people through the gate for home league game.

Drogheda are a case in point - they're crowds haven't risen that much when they're challenging for the title (well when they were anyway). They're basically full time and challenging and have seen no benefit to their gates.

So lash big money (even for part timers) and make our precarious financial situation worse, and spend the club out of existence, for one or two seasons of challenging for the league with no garanteed return. No thanks - you may call it an inferiority complex, I call it realism.

IMO I'd rather get the ground fully finished (totally covered etc) and up to "A" standard rather than blowing loads on the team. Try and get people through the gates first then spend what we have, not gamble it away.

On the players - harsh on Deano, considering he's basically played 15 months without rest.

Adrian Murphy is scoring in a shíte Athlone side, and in the past done well for us.

Gary Murphy is a great prospect, and should be given his chance. He was great in some of the league cup games last season.

One decent midfielder (to echo Marty I'd love to see a Deano-Stuey combination in the middle), and one decent goal scorer and I think we'd be okay.

observer
29/10/2004, 9:35 AM
If the Town are to sign new talent then the question to ask is who do you see being released. Surely at least 6 if the budget is to stretch to 3 new players. The obvious ones are Brian McGovern, Darragh Sheridan and Brian Byrne. Some of the others will be sad partings for their past contributions ie. Vinnie, possibly Eric (big bucks). If a new midfielder comes in will either Pip or John Martin be considered expendable? Mick Dempsey will be retained as will Gary Cassin (small pay I reckon) though I think he should be put out on loan to develop (like Gary Murphy).
I look forward to your thoughts as I do not know how long players contracts have to run.
By the way of Adrian Murphy's 15 goals with Athlone, 2 were against Premier sides (Derry and Longford) 2 against UCD, 1 against Bray and 1 against Kildare, so the opposition was'nt all poor. :ball:

footballplease
29/10/2004, 10:46 AM
a fully fit and back on form pip along with a rested deano would be some force next year in the centre. agree with you about a left sided player though.
However the main target should be a striker - the goals for record this year has been nothing short of pathetic. :mad:

Albert
29/10/2004, 11:28 AM
The league has to be a priority, at the very least we should be keeping well clear of the relegation zone, we MUST try to establish ourselves as a top 4 side. I dont think winning the league next season is realistic, but certainly making a top four finish is and I dont mean by scraping there we should be comfortable for it throughout the season, this would be a nice spring board for a league challenge in the future. A striker is desperately needed and someone creative in midfield, Stuey would be perfect but I doubt he will come. I disagree with cop on on Baker, I think our front players to be fair to them havent got a lot of decent ball, they are not the biggest guys and need it to feet and in fairness that didnt happen for a large part of the season. WHen baker is on form he is as good a anyone in the league and I felt was our most creative player all season, but I think I prefer him on the wing, maybe he will swap with Barrett next season but this year we had to stick him up front as he was the only one who could get the ball in the net

Macy
29/10/2004, 12:41 PM
Going full time is probably unrealistic, but I don't think there's much point in "covering the whole of Flansiro" either. What's the point in having a massive covered stadium with a tiny support.
As regards persuading the good folk of Longford out to Flancare regularly, a well-discounted season ticket is the only way to go.
The stadium wouldn't be that massive, and would mean that people wouldn't have the weather excuse anymore. Facilities are an investment that will be there for years to come. Gambling on the players wages (which are totally unrealistic across the league) in the off chance we may challenge for the league is píssing it away. A covered stadium, along with finally completing the bar should increase the money coming in. Set up one end as the away end, the other as a proper family stand.

Surely a well discounted season ticket will only reduce the money coming in, since current holders would also pay the reduced rate. Galway went this way and it would be interesting to see the results over the season.

A re-introduction of the ground season ticket would be step forward though. The arguements for it's scraping were:
1) People were using them to get in the stand
2) Nobody brought them.

If it was 2, then 1 wasn't much of a problem. If 1 was the problem then they could easily be made a different colour anyway. With regard to 2, I know several people who would've brought them, even though they wouldn't make the money back over the season. It's all lost money to the club.

observer
29/10/2004, 2:04 PM
Who would you let go? I asked the question already in this thread but no one wants to answer it. I can understand that some contributors can't for obvious reasons, but surely some of you have ideas.

max power
29/10/2004, 2:07 PM
As regards persuading the good folk of Longford out to Flancare regularly, a well-discounted season ticket is the only way to go.

its on the way, i heard the figures mentioned and its very very very good value.

let go or not resign, brian byrne, darragh sheridan, gary murphy all will leave i feel.... it is possible another midfielder will too if someone else comes in to the club,

stewie and dean would be amazing but we need left side cover, that is not shane's position and sean has made left back his own.

Macy
29/10/2004, 2:10 PM
Lavine and Keegan (Adrian Murphy plus one coming in)
Darragh, Brian Byrne.
McGovern (goes without saying).
Dempsey (Give Cassin his head).

max power
29/10/2004, 2:13 PM
Lavine and Keegan (Adrian Murphy plus one coming in)
Darragh, Brian Byrne.
McGovern (goes without saying).
Dempsey (Give Cassin his head).

sorry forgot bout mcgovern, keego has another year on his contract so it could be expensive to let him go.

i'd keep mick dempsey for another season and am undecided on eric, but the other 2 defo agree with. and would love to see adrain come back.

Martinho II
29/10/2004, 2:19 PM
what do ye guys think of the story in todays sun

town are being linked with Stephen Caffrey the bohs striker,he has being a peripehal figure for bohs this season! was a great battleaxe for bohs and glentoran(i think!) in his day

same paper is sayin that digger is being linked with a move to st pats-will digger leave us on ahigh to go to the club that his family has supported!

sad if he goes! :(

max power
29/10/2004, 2:22 PM

town are being linked with Stephen Caffrey the bohs striker,he has being a peripehal figure for bohs this season! was a great battleaxe for bohs and glentoran(i think!) in his day

same paper is sayin that digger is being linked with a move to st pats-will digger leave us on ahigh to go to the club that his family has supported!

well in the indo and in person digger said himself he wants to finish playin with us and then take a behind the scenes roll......if digger leaves there will be a riot on the streets of longford :mad:

Macy
29/10/2004, 2:22 PM
Caffrey is a midfielder. Not convinced he's better than what we've got - similar to Vinny.

Thought Pats were after Gregg from Bohs. Could be bullshít ahead of tonights match...

fosterdollar
29/10/2004, 2:39 PM
i heard that caffrey and Crowe were both linked to a move to Linfield :confused:

observer
29/10/2004, 2:48 PM
Digger has gone very public about his desire to stay involved in the Town and there would be uproar if he was let go. He shares the spotlight for most popular Town player EVER with Vinnie, who I fear may be on his way.

Macy
29/10/2004, 3:06 PM
If a proper discount was offered on the season ticket , i.e. IF people perceived it to be value for money, then, arguably more people would buy it, thus increasing revenue (classifying the season ticket as an elastic good, which it is !!)
Just not sure. I've asked a well connected Galway fan who was involved in their discount to see how it worked out, so we'll see :)

Dillo
29/10/2004, 3:52 PM

Stephen Caffrey is pure muck. A peripheral figure my ar$e. He is a 'midfielder' and can also play in defence...... allegedly! He is a Dog of War and has no function in that Bohemians side. Farrelly and Bohs are offloading Caffrey for a reason and I would be very disheartened to see a player of his limited ability coming to De Town. Matthews should be looking for quality at this stage and Caffrey most certainly does not fit into that bracket.
As for Digger, he has been a wonderful servant for Longford Town and I could not envisage him leaving for any club at this stage- not even his family club, St. Pats.

TheJamaicanP.M.
29/10/2004, 4:11 PM
Stephen Caffrey is pure muck. A peripheral figure my ar$e. He is a 'midfielder' and can also play in defence...... allegedly! He is a Dog of War and has no function in that Bohemians side. Farrelly and Bohs are offloading Caffrey for a reason and I would be very disheartened to see a player of his limited ability coming to De Town. Matthews should be looking for quality at this stage and Caffrey most certainly does not fit into that bracket.
As for Digger, he has been a wonderful servant for Longford Town and I could not envisage him leaving for any club at this stage- not even his family club, St. Pats.

Agree 100% with ya Dillo. Caffrey is a player of very limited ability. He is not a striker as you pointed out. A midfielder/defender. He has a poor engine, distinct lack of pace and very few footballing attributes. Caffrey is leaving because next season may see the creation of a very impressive midfield partnership at Bohs. Farrelly and Hunt are streets ahead. If we want to be competing at a high level, we can do without rejects like Caffrey. He's just not good enough.

I would prefer to see us bringing younger, hungrier players into the club. Wouldnt mind seeing Daryl Murphy or his Waterford compatriot, Dan Connor (if Digger decides to leave).

Xlex
29/10/2004, 4:58 PM
was not impressed with Dan Connor's play or his tuggish behaviour and we have no place for him here. There are loads of good Keepers around this part and I whilst I admire Dempsey I feel this is an area where LTFC can give a young fella a chance. Drogs might have to cut their cloth and one play I'd like to see here would be McClair.

TheJamaicanP.M.
29/10/2004, 8:03 PM
Dan Connor is an under-21 international. Hes really impressed me for the last couple of seasons. Think people are over-reacting by calling him a thug. Some players will do whatever they can for their club. Connor cannot even be compared to Ratnolds. I think we need a big personality to replace Digger when the time comes.

Dillo
29/10/2004, 8:06 PM
Dan Connor is an under-21 international. Hes really impressed me for the last couple of seasons. Think people are over-reacting by calling him a thug. Some players will do whatever they can for their club. Connor cannot even be compared to Ratnolds. I think we need a big personality to replace Digger when the time comes.

;) You seem to have a lot of admiration for that lad alright! Hard to see him leaving Waterford though.

baboon ar*e
29/10/2004, 8:43 PM
ye must be jokin lads wantin to sign him, played against him many moons ago, and he was a fat git then, even i caught him from a 20 yard head start, to nick the ball off his toes...blah...blah...blah...he was with home farm at the time

baboon ar*e
29/10/2004, 8:55 PM
- there's loads of minted Longford men all over the world..
yeh maybe....but none of them are interested in soccer or helping longford town f.c......still a bit of a stigma attached from the old days of "begging" in all the pubs on a sunday night.....dont make sense to you? it does to me...i think :D

baboon ar*e
29/10/2004, 9:00 PM
i have met minted longford men over here that were not even aware longford had a soccer team!! actually there is not much coverage of loi in general over here, its just not feckin fair i tell ya!! well if i win the lottery, there will be a big injection of cash, thats if they give me the £20 they owe me :)

Dillo
29/10/2004, 9:15 PM
Your Username sums up your contributions to this forum. Sad little gossin! :eek:

Maz
30/10/2004, 7:51 AM
Wouldnt want Dan O' Connor here either, he has similar antics to Alan Reynolds!
Think the return of Stuie Byrne would be fantastic, have to say wouldnt mind Kevin Hunt with the town, I think he would work well with Dean and both can score goals!
We really need to spend the money on a good striker who is gonna score goals in double figures!

Longfordian
30/10/2004, 2:35 PM
As regards the season ticket points, definitely members of the baord are aware that a package has to be put together, our season ticket sales are minimal, we should be selling up to 700 season tickets, get a good bit of money into the club up front to start the season, as I said it's certainly favoured by members of the committee so we'll see what happens..as regards players I can see Darragh and Brian Byrne being let go and McGovern, Lavine too if anyone came in for him..he'll never score again if his miss last night is any indication, I know he works hard but 40% at least of his job is putting the ball in the net..Keegan isnt doing it either but as was pointed out he has another year left and after getting the winner in the final deserves a shot. After that, its hard to know.

As for who comes in, Alan I think is aiming to build a team of young talented players, the likes of Dillon, Paisley, Gartland, Prunty are the backbone of the side for now and the future, if players are coming in I'd expect some more younger players with maybe one experienced midfielder and a proper goalscorer

Martinho II
31/10/2004, 6:25 PM
ye must be jokin lads wantin to sign him, played against him many moons ago, and he was a fat git then, even i caught him from a 20 yard head start, to nick the ball off his toes...blah...blah...blah...he was with home farm at the time

sorry i would be interested in signing him after scoring the hattrick against scumlone on friday nite!

Dillo
01/11/2004, 12:21 PM
I put up this thread to discuss the future of Longford Town Football Club. While I am very happy with the many responses, I really urge you lads to stick to the point. Dan O' Connor and Trevor Vaughan are irrelevant.

Longfordian
01/11/2004, 12:27 PM
Up to a point Dillo, as the future of Longford Town will involve getting new players..no harm in mentioning who people feel would improve the team , no matter how ludicrous the idea might be..

Dillo
01/11/2004, 1:11 PM
I accept your point but it's quality players we need and want at this club and if this involves scouting across the water then so be it.

max power
01/11/2004, 1:18 PM
but the first point is our budget, there is no point in trying to gain short term sucess whilt risking the long term future of the club.

left wing, midfield and a 10+ in the league striker.

Dillo
01/11/2004, 1:21 PM
Faie enough Max, I agree. We can fill those positions with quality without bringing the club into financial problems. But remember that word QUALITY!

max power
01/11/2004, 1:25 PM
Faie enough Max, I agree. We can fill those positions with quality without bringing the club into financial problems. But remember that word QUALITY!

but quality costs money and there must be a cut off point where you say here is ur budget do the best ya can, cause that is reality at our club.

Dillo
01/11/2004, 2:38 PM
Town should have the purchasing power at this stage to sign a lot of quality EL players. I'm not referring to players like Glen Crowe, Kevin Hunt and Jason Byrne but there are players out there within our reach, it's just a matter of picking the right ones!

max power
01/11/2004, 2:44 PM
Town should have the purchasing power at this stage to sign a lot of quality EL players. I'm not referring to players like Glen Crowe, Kevin Hunt and Jason Byrne but there are players out there within our reach, it's just a matter of picking the right ones!

BUT cork, shels, bohs, drogs, derry are all willing to pay bigger pay packets. so we are at a disadvantage already.

european football is a major plus for us, also a lot of players want full time wages, big difference between gettin paid for 33 weeks and 52 weeks in a players eyes.

Dillo
01/11/2004, 2:47 PM
True. Let's just hope that the incentive of European football will be sufficient to lure these players from under the noses of these clubs!

observer
01/11/2004, 2:48 PM
"Loads of players out there only to pick the right ones" did I here you say?
Is'nt that the whole trick. If everyone could do it then we would all have great teams?

thecorner
01/11/2004, 2:50 PM

ah lads...dont give us a reason to hate longford as well ;)

Dillo
01/11/2004, 2:58 PM
"Loads of players out there only to pick the right ones" did I here you say?
Is'nt that the whole trick. If everyone could do it then we would all have great teams?

Yes to an extent, that is the whole trick. But there's another small factor that comes into it. It's called MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dillo
02/11/2004, 1:14 PM
Two cups in the bag this season but we don't want to finish second from bottom do we?? :o
Be nice to cap off the season with a win Saturday night!

Longfordian
02/11/2004, 1:26 PM
We definitely need one or two wins for respectability..If we dont win on Saturday it would be nice to win most or all of Dublin City, Derry, Waterford and Drogs games although the latter two will really want revenge

Dillo
02/11/2004, 3:11 PM
There'e no reason why we can't obtain maximum points from the remaining four games after saturday night. In fact if we play the way we can, Shels are beatable on saturday night. We may restore a bit of pride and finish as high as possible.

paddigol
04/11/2004, 2:34 PM
should be an excellent season for us next year,the setanta cup will be an adventure and a half! and europe again! :p

Try not to let us down in europe next year then.
As much as I have huge respect for LTFC and think they are one of the biggest assets to the Premier, it's important to remember that every EL club would love to play in Europe and those that get the opportunity have a duty to give a good account of the league.
I'll forgive your uefa sins however if you do us a favour and beat shels!