PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Crosby87
23/04/2014, 12:45 PM
Who do folk here think are likely fringe candidates to be called up for the May / June games? Or, put another way, who should be called up?

Richie Ryan from Tipperary has been appointed first ever Captain of Ottawa Fury, which is SKStu's new favorite team in Canada. Sources tell me he may be in the squad as rabid Fury fans will make their way down here.
Selcuk Tidim has an absolutely enormous following in Queens for some reason and I think you could see him.
Ger Crossley is doing a book signing outside Met Life Stadium if anyone is interested. "Gentleman Ger: My Years in Green." ($29.95, Knopf)

TrapAPony
23/04/2014, 12:58 PM
Youngsters I would like to see more of are Jack Grealish, Shane Duffy, Samir Carruthers, Tommie Hoban, Sean Murray, Eunan O'Kane, Joe Mason, Rob Kiernan & Jeff Hendrick. Shane O'Neill, Mike Magee, Ryan Meara should get a chance on the US Tour. Hope to see some granny rulers there.

tetsujin1979
23/04/2014, 1:04 PM
Darron Gibson, if he can prove his fitness
Owen Garvan, or Callum Reilly maybe?
Shaun Williams has settled in well at Millwall
Liam Lawrence?
Stokes is on a scoring streak - five goals in his last five games
Could look at Aaron Doran or Willo Flood too.

Youngsters I would like to see more of are Jack Grealish, Shane Duffy, Samir Carruthers, Tommie Hoban, Sean Murray, Eunan O'Kane, Joe Mason, Rob Kiernan & Jeff Hendrick. Shane O'Neill, Mike Magee, Ryan Meara should get a chance on the US Tour. Hope to see some granny rulers there.
Carruthers is still out with a knee injury, one for next season I think

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/04/2014, 1:15 PM

You mean the aforementioned or other ones? Because I'm not sure if they are many others out there. McGoldrick would probably have been the one knocking on doors but he is out of contention. Then there is Richard Stearman. Maybe Luke Chambers. There were rumours about Scott Hogan recently but he's still playing in L2. Then there are the Gerrard's and McGugan's. Nobody knows if they are eligible (even themselves). There were apocryphal stories about McGugan declaring for Scotland as well that had little basis in fact.

I don't understand the desire to call up Granny Rulers for the sake of it. If there is someone like Pilkington playing at a good level who may be an improvement on what we already have then go for it. If they aren't an improvement on what we have, then what's the point?

On the other hand, if you are on about young lads who've played at underage level like Grealish, Murray, Carruthers, Kiernan and Hoban getting some experience that's different but two of them have played a dozen games between them this season, Murray has flitted in and out of the team at Watford without making much of an impact, Carruthers has been inconsistent at MK Dons and Grealish still only has 30 games worth of experience in a L1 relegation battle. Current reports indicate that he is destined for the Championship next season. If he adjusts to that level of football, then he has the majority of the Qualifying campaign to be in contention for.

bennocelt
23/04/2014, 3:37 PM
Darron Gibson, if he can prove his fitness
Owen Garvan, or Callum Reilly maybe?
Shaun Williams has settled in well at Millwall
Liam Lawrence?
Stokes is on a scoring streak - five goals in his last five games
Could look at Aaron Doran or Willo Flood too.

Carruthers is still out with a knee injury, one for next season I think

Thats a good call

Stuttgart88
23/04/2014, 4:14 PM
Of Tets' suggestions I'd be inclined only to look at Stokes and Gibson, though I admit I haven't seen Flood this season.

TOWK's 4 plus Grealish and Sean Murray as suggested by Dunners all have a realistic claim I'd say. I also think Kiernan may be worth a look.

Would Chris Forrester be a useful call up for the Turkey game? Not because of his wonder goal but because he's playing well and although there'd be an element of tokenism about it, it wouldn't be unwarranted and it'd be a good message to send out. I saw him against Bohs on Good Friday and he definitely has an assuredness and bit of style about him.

Is Westwood back fit I wonder? Randolph's club form fills me with dread.

Crosby87
23/04/2014, 4:47 PM
Is Westwood back fit I wonder? Randolph's club form fills me with dread.

This is from April 3rd:
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/westwood-almost-fit-30152714.html

samhaydenjr
24/04/2014, 3:01 AM
The problem with thinking about fringe players right now is that we have a lot of players who would be expected to play a significant role in the upcoming qualifiers who for various reasons (injury, managerial falling-outs, being a late bloomer, etc) but don't have a lot of caps under their belts and need the game time. All these players have fewer than 20 caps: Forde (17 caps), Westwood (19), Wilson (15), Clark (10), Delaney (8), McClean (19), Hoolahan (10), Meyler (5), Murphy (9), Stokes (8), O'Brien (5), Brady (6), Hendrick (4), Ireland (6).
On top of that, Andy Reid could do with more games to get re-accustomed to the international scene, perhaps Shane Long could do with more time leading the line and Kevin Doyle might be back in contention.
And then we have to judge which of the rising young stars (Duffy, Grealish and Murray) may have a breakthrough next season

Fixer82
24/04/2014, 3:59 AM
Where did Keith Treacy go to? I thought he was great in the few friendlies he played for us during Trap's reign.
Then he disappeared

Stuttgart88
24/04/2014, 6:34 AM
He's usually a sub for promoted Burnley. I thought he had a great delivery with his left, but lacks finesse otherwise. Quite a strong, direct wide player. I think TOWK said his contract is up and is unlikely to be renewed?

gastric
24/04/2014, 9:18 AM
Where did Keith Treacy go to? I thought he was great in the few friendlies he played for us during Trap's reign.
Then he disappeared

He has always had talent and this was obvious even when he was at Blackburn. However, he is inconsistent and has never played regular first team football. Am I right too in saying he has had attitude problems in the past or is this just my imagination at work?

CraftyToePoke
24/04/2014, 11:21 AM
Isn't he mad for pints ?

Charlie Darwin
24/04/2014, 11:44 AM
Would Chris Forrester be a useful call up for the Turkey game? Not because of his wonder goal but because he's playing well and although there'd be an element of tokenism about it, it wouldn't be unwarranted and it'd be a good message to send out. I saw him against Bohs on Good Friday and he definitely has an assuredness and bit of style about him.
Realistically, Forrester struggled to make the Ireland U21 team last year and has been told he needs to bulk up to move to England. Of the players in the LOI, I'd say Richie Towell is the one with the talent and physique to make the step up, but it won't happen.

Fixer82
24/04/2014, 1:40 PM
Shame with Burnley now all but promoted.
I really thought he was a good player. Hopefully he'll get back into the squad with some eye-catching Premiership displays in the 2014/15 season

gastric
25/04/2014, 4:49 AM
Realistically, Forrester struggled to make the Ireland U21 team last year and has been told he needs to bulk up to move to England. Of the players in the LOI, I'd say Richie Towell is the one with the talent and physique to make the step up, but it won't happen.

Charlie, out of interest, why do think Towell wouldn't make it in England? Weren't Barnsley interested in signing him?

Charlie Darwin
25/04/2014, 11:59 AM
Charlie, out of interest, why do think Towell wouldn't make it in England? Weren't Barnsley interested in signing him?
I meant get called up for the Ireland team. I'm sure he will make it in England. Barnsley and Charlton interested apparently, and you'd assume clubs below them too.

Stuttgart88
08/05/2014, 10:28 AM
Squad to be announced tomorrow (Friday) at 10.00am.

Charlie Darwin
08/05/2014, 3:46 PM
Squad to be announced tomorrow (Friday) at 10.00am.
Nothing on Ian Harte's twitter yet but I'll keep you posted.

Crosby87
08/05/2014, 4:06 PM
Do you blokes think that Turkish players ever eat Turkey as their pre game meal or that it would be thought of as taboo?

CraftyToePoke
08/05/2014, 5:08 PM
Do you blokes think that Turkish players ever eat Turkey as their pre game meal or that it would be thought of as taboo?

Who knows what delights they chow down on Crosby.

tetsujin1979
08/05/2014, 10:25 PM
Do you blokes think that Turkish players ever eat Turkey as their pre game meal or that it would be thought of as taboo?I doubt it, the tryptophan would make them groggy and unfit to perform at 100%

Charlie Darwin
08/05/2014, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if Richard Keogh was interviewed after tonight's game? If he complained about not being picked for the national team, we can cross one name off the list.

Dodge
09/05/2014, 8:58 AM

Because he failed in Scotland would the biggest indicator to me. Terrific LOI player. Maybe the spell here has helped him. On Forrester, he has the talent. A full time training regime with nutritionist etc would help him develop the physique needed. He couldn't play full international football yet

Yard of Pace
09/05/2014, 9:02 AM
David Forde
Millwall FC
20/12/1979

Darren Randolph
Birmingham City FC
12/05/1987

Rob Elliot
Newcastle United FC
30/04/1986

Richard Keogh
Derby County FC
11/08/1986

Marc Wilson
Stoke City FC
17/09/1987

Seamus Coleman
Everton FC
11/10/1988

John O’Shea
Sunderland AFC
30/04/1981

Alex Pearce
Reading FC
09/11/1988

Stephen Kelly
Reading FC
06/09/1983

Damien Delaney
Crystal Palace FC
20/07/1981

Joey O’Brien
West Ham FC
17/02/1986

Shane Duffy
Everton FC
01/01/1992

James McCarthy
Everton FC
12/11/1990

Jeff Hendrick
Derby County FC
31/01/1992

Ciaran Clark
Aston Villa FC
26/09/1989

Stephen Ward
Brighton Hove Albion
20/08/1985

Glenn Whelan
Stoke City FC
13/01/1984

Paul Green
Leeds United FC
10/04/1983

Aiden McGeady
Everton FC
04/04/1986

Anthony Pilkington
Norwich City FC
06/06/1988

James McClean
Wigan Athletic FC
22/04/1989

Stephen Quinn
Hull City FC
04/04/1986

David Meyler
Hull City FC
29/05/1989

Wes Hoolahan
Norwich City FC
20/05/1982

Robbie Keane
LA Galaxy FC
08/07/1980

Shane Long
Hull City FC
22/01/1987

Daryl Murphy
Ipswich Town FC
15/03/1983

Jon Walters
Stoke City FC
20/09/1983

Kevin Doyle
QPR FC
18/09/1983

Anthony Stokes
Celtic FC
25/07/1988

Simon Cox
Nottingham Forrest FC
28/04/1987

Connor Sammon
Derby County FC
06/11/1986

Stuttgart88
09/05/2014, 9:08 AM
Quite a conservative selection, and Cox is a surprise.

"The U21s can wait" is the clearest message.

Gibson, Reid, Westwood and maybe Dunne would be expected to be in next autumn's squads and they would definitely strengthen things.

Apart from Wes and McGeady there is little creativity in midfield.

tetsujin1979
09/05/2014, 9:21 AM
The Hull City lads will more than likely miss the Turkey game and there's a few there who will be involved with the play offs.
No Stephen Ireland, despite recent reports, no Grealish, no guarantees Pilkington and Joey O'Brien will be fit.
Duffy apart, there's little in the selection that indicates progress over the last seven months

dong
09/05/2014, 9:27 AM
Because he failed in Scotland would the biggest indicator to me. Terrific LOI player. Maybe the spell here has helped him. On Forrester, he has the talent. A full time training regime with nutritionist etc would help him develop the physique needed. He couldn't play full international football yet

It's been talked about for about two years now how Forrester needs to develop his physique. I know little about such matters but I can't understand how this hasn't been a priority for him. To me he has a lot of great attributes but he can be out muscled in games.

Another player who might have made the grade I always thought if he was stronger was John Dillon (I know he's English but just pointing out the similarity) but again, despite all the talk about him needing to bulk up, he never did for whatever reason. Beautiful footballer though.

Stuttgart88
09/05/2014, 9:30 AM
On RTE O'Neill says that the squad will be reduced before 22nd May and that Stephen Ireland may yet figure but he hadn't had a chance to discuss it with him yet, or something like that. I'm saying nothing...!

KK77
09/05/2014, 10:04 AM
Are any of these games live on rte/setanta? Thanks.

Stuttgart88
09/05/2014, 10:07 AM
Setanta definitely showing the US games.

Does anyone know if Premier Sports in the UK does a PPV option? They show the big Setanta games but I think a permanent subscription is required.

KK77
09/05/2014, 10:30 AM
Setanta definitely showing the US games.

Does anyone know if Premier Sports in the UK does a PPV option? They show the big Setanta games but I think a permanent subscription is required.

Cheers thanks a lot.

geysir
09/05/2014, 10:40 AM
Refreshingly, O'Neill was quite open and articulate about the SI self-imposed exile situation, as reported in the McDonell Indo article (http://www.independent.ie/sport/martin-oneill-excludes-stephen-ireland-from-32man-squad-but-plans-facetoface-talks-30259261.html)
O'Neill leaves little doubt that the slate is clean but wants a final decision from SI in a face to face meeting, no more fannying about.

Stuttgart88
09/05/2014, 11:24 AM
Cheers thanks a lot.

Actually I didn't get that quite right. It's the Italy and Portugal games that are on Setanta.

http://sportsnewsireland.com/soccer/soccer_irish/setanta-sports-to-broadcast-irelands-summer-friendlies-against-italy-and-portugal-2014-05-07/

Stuttgart88
09/05/2014, 11:27 AM
Gibson, Reid, Westwood and maybe Dunne would be expected to be in next autumn's squads and they would definitely strengthen things.

Apart from Wes and McGeady there is little creativity in midfield.note to self: must not keep forgetting Robbie Brady, as I always do.

McShane is back in Hull's squad this weekend I believe, but not Brady.

Dodge
09/05/2014, 11:36 AM
It's been talked about for about two years now how Forrester needs to develop his physique. I know little about such matters but I can't understand how this hasn't been a priority for him. To me he has a lot of great attributes but he can be out muscled in games.
He's earning buttons playing part-time. He can't afford a nutrionist etc. He is certainly stronger now than 2 years ago though

Another player who might have made the grade I always thought if he was stronger was John Dillon (I know he's English but just pointing out the similarity) but again, despite all the talk about him needing to bulk up, he never did for whatever reason. Beautiful footballer though.
Dillon is an average LOI footballer. No more.

Charlie Darwin
09/05/2014, 11:45 AM
I read an interview with Forrester a while back where he was saying "I know I need to bulk up, people keep telling me I need to bulk up..." I'm not sure what his implication was, whether he'd tried and found it difficult or if he just wasn't that bothered.

ArdeeBhoy
09/05/2014, 2:14 PM
Squad here.
http://www.fai.ie/international/senior-men/103954-o-neill-names-provisional-squad-for-ireland-s-summer-internationals.html

No Andrews/Ireland, but Green/Sammon continue. Less about the former, but these latter two aren't good enough IMO.

TheOneWhoKnocks
09/05/2014, 2:27 PM
Does anyone know if Richard Keogh was interviewed after tonight's game? If he complained about not being picked for the national team, we can cross one name off the list.

Charlie, this one doesn't even make sense. He started our last game and was picked today.

Stuttgart88
09/05/2014, 3:11 PM
Squad here.
http://www.fai.ie/international/senior-men/103954-o-neill-names-provisional-squad-for-ireland-s-summer-internationals.html

No Andrews/Ireland, but Green/Sammon continue. Less about the former, but these latter two aren't good enough IMO.
It's a 30 (32?) man provisional squad that will be culled before the games start. Reid, Gibson, Brady (yay, I remembered), Ireland and one or two others would enhance the squad but are unavailable. Added to that is the fact that at least some players will be in the playoff final and Keane will probably stay in the US and join the squad there. All things considered, it's no biggy that some lesser lights are included as fringe options. I wouldn't rule Green out of making the cut though and I think he's decent enough. Andrews can be considered unlucky.

I'm neutral on the absence of Grealish and others. It's probably more important that the likes of Hendrick, Meyler and probably also Wes Hoolahan get given the chance to claim their jersey and for McGeady, Pilkington and McClean to learn to play O'Neill's game.

Yard of Pace
09/05/2014, 8:23 PM
I read an interview with Forrester a while back where he was saying "I know I need to bulk up, people keep telling me I need to bulk up..." I'm not sure what his implication was, whether he'd tried and found it difficult or if he just wasn't that bothered.

I'd say he just finds it difficult. My man at Pats reckoned he'd never had a decent square meal in his life until he started playing football in the LOI. Said he'd be absolutely wasted at the end of training sessions. He was of the opinion that he could certainly make it to English Championship level anyway with his talent so I wouldn't say it's a case of Forrester not being bothered.

ArdeeBhoy
09/05/2014, 10:54 PM
Agree with all of that Stutts, bar Green being good enough. Like rather too many of our players, a 'space-filler' at best...

tricky_colour
09/05/2014, 11:08 PM
Quite a conservative selection, and Cox is a surprise.

"The U21s can wait" is the clearest message.

Apart from Wes and McGeady there is little creativity in midfield.

Very Conservative, surprise David Cameron wasn't selected.

ArdeeBhoy
10/05/2014, 10:17 AM
Hmmm.

geysir
10/05/2014, 10:38 AM
Isn't O'Neill giving youth a chance with Delaney?

ArdeeBhoy
10/05/2014, 11:18 AM
Damien?
:rolleyes:

geysir
10/05/2014, 1:39 PM
Yeah Damien, who else? sprightly young in (our) centre back years and has just a handful of caps.
A mere junior of a centre half.

TheOneWhoKnocks
10/05/2014, 2:12 PM
Agree with all of that Stutts, bar Green being good enough. Like rather too many of our players, a 'space-filler' at best...

While we are on the subject of space fillers, why the f*** is Stephen Kelly called up? Is O'Neill even aware that he hasn't even being getting on the bench over the last 4 months?

McShane, O'Kane, Best and Mason should be in the squad instead of Kelly, Green, Cox and Sammon.

Charlie Darwin
10/05/2014, 2:16 PM
McShane's been injured for the last four months. But agree on O'Kane.

back of the net
10/05/2014, 3:37 PM
Looks like we have a return friendly against oman in dublin in September. ....I know its a return friendly. ...but f#cking OMAN...seriously !!!!!!!

TheOneWhoKnocks
10/05/2014, 4:01 PM
Better to have an easy friendly against Oman, rack up several goals and build confidence than have a difficult friendly against i.e. Serbia or Greece and suffer a demoralising loss.

Better to get the difficult games out of the way in the next few weeks. I just hope the players take them seriously and don't fob off with fictitious injuries and excuses.