PDA

View Full Version : Presidents Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3

Trainee
20/12/2013, 7:00 PM
Heard on 2fm sports show Game on that Fai have confirmed that 2014 cup winners will play league winners in Presidents Cup a week before start of 2015 season.

Martinho II
20/12/2013, 7:36 PM
Heard on 2fm sports show Game on that Fai have confirmed that 2014 cup winners will play league winners in Presidents Cup a week before start of 2015 season.

that was an old tournament that has being resurrected hasnt it? think last time it was held was in 2001/02 when St Pats won it?

SkStu
21/12/2013, 12:56 AM
Exclusive picture.

http://s0.thejournal.ie/media/2013/04/1512013-feeding-the-world-conferences-622x500.jpg

NeverFeltBetter
21/12/2013, 2:11 AM
So, just a simple, single-tie Super Cup dealie?

Charlie Darwin
21/12/2013, 2:28 AM
So, just a simple, single-tie Super Cup dealie?
Seems to be a few biscuits and croissants too, if SkStu's photograph is to be believed.

D24Saint
21/12/2013, 2:53 PM
According to herald it will back before the 2014 season,I had heard it would the 2015 campaign.

NeverFeltBetter
21/12/2013, 7:19 PM
Is there a reason they couldn't do it next year?

avvenalaf
22/12/2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah - Shams wouldn't be in it.:cool:

Charlie Darwin
22/12/2013, 12:50 AM
Yeah - Shams wouldn't be in it.:cool:
Won't be in it in 2015 either, to be fair.

Nesta99
22/12/2013, 10:36 AM
Dunno 'bout that - have heard that the qualifying criteria are 'one team must have a name including the letters S and R, must play in green and white hoops and out of a state owned football ground, unless league or cup criteria supercede such criteria ie winning league and/or cup'. new competition rules also state that to accuse NGB of favouritism means immediate expulsion if any member/supporter/tea lady from any other club are to insinuate such scurrilious things...........

yup still bored

nigel-harps1954
22/12/2013, 4:22 PM
Be great to see the game played somewhere like Lansdowne Road. A great way to kick off the season.

wonder88
22/12/2013, 5:26 PM
Good to see this competition back, I would play it at Dalymount in order to add to the traditional feel of it.

oriel
22/12/2013, 5:32 PM
Was it not reserved for clubs within Leinster previously as it was run by the LFA?

avvenalaf
22/12/2013, 7:01 PM
Surely The President's Cup has to be played in The Phoenix Park and Michael D referees.

poster
22/12/2013, 7:12 PM
Be great to see the game played somewhere like Lansdowne Road. A great way to kick off the season.

I'd much rather see it played in a LOI venue. Playing the game in LR would make a total mockery of the fixture.

gufcfan
22/12/2013, 7:24 PM
I'd much rather see it played in a LOI venue. Playing the game in LR would make a total mockery of the fixture.

Surely there's no chance it will be played in LR due to the cost. Could be a coin flip between the 2 qualifiers or just Tallaght every year.

NeverFeltBetter
22/12/2013, 7:45 PM
Yeah, could change year to year depending on the competitors, but I imagine it will stick firmly to the Dublin region. Might be kind of neat if it toured around the LOI over time though.

gormacha
22/12/2013, 9:07 PM
I think its great to open the season with this, especially as it has the President's imprimatur. Wonderful to have a genuinely inclusive Prez.

avvenalaf
22/12/2013, 10:44 PM
Shams having a B team in Division is making sense now. When they wein everything next season (surely they must, being the biggest and bestest club in the wuddled) they can play the B team in The Presidents Cup. Aviva, obviously, as Tallaght only holds 6000

Dodge
23/12/2013, 7:44 AM

How can you make a mockery of a trophy that has never been played for before? This being different to the old LFA trophy?

Play the game at the home of the champions each year. No need for nuetral grounds. It'll be treated as a preseason friendly by players and fans. No need for the likes of Aviva, Tallaght etc

poster
23/12/2013, 1:54 PM
How can you make a mockery of a trophy that has never been played for before?

You make my point in the second part of your post.

Playing it in Lansdowne or RDS would be ridiculous due to the size of the crowd it would attract.

redobit
23/12/2013, 4:24 PM
I think its worth trying. There is always good interest in the start of the season and it could be a good curtain raiser. Have it in Lansdowne but make it really cheap to get in, say 4 quid for adults and 2 for kids. It would hopefully get a good crowd then and should still cover costs even with low ticket prices.

avvenalaf
23/12/2013, 4:31 PM
Maximumcrowd for a game like this - 2000

oriel
24/12/2013, 11:22 AM
How can you make a mockery of a trophy that has never been played for before? This being different to the old LFA trophy?

Play the game at the home of the champions each year. No need for nuetral grounds. It'll be treated as a preseason friendly by players and fans. No need for the likes of Aviva, Tallaght etc

But is has been played before, I remember games in the early 80's in oriel park, it was the cup winners v the league winners, and I'm sure it was confined to teams in Leinster. Athlone won the league in 81 & 83 and played in it, would have played us in pre season 81/82 as we were the cup winners. From memory it was a one off game, toss of a coin for home advantage. Not sure when it was last played though.

I also remember a game in pre season 82/83 as we were league winners and played Bohs who took the cup slot, as Limerick who won the cup were not entitled to take part as they were obviously outside Leinster.

NeverFeltBetter
14/01/2014, 1:47 PM
St Pats Twitter announced they're playing Sligo on March 2nd in Richmond.

More info: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2014/0114/497789-presidents-cup-date-for-pats-and-sligo/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

PSO if a draw after 90, 4 PM KO.

nigel-harps1954
14/01/2014, 1:48 PM
The inaugural President’s Cup match between 2013 Airtricity League Premier Division champions St Patrick’s Athletic and 2013 FAI Ford Cup winners Sligo Rovers will take place on Sunday, March 2, at Richmond Park with a 4pm kick-off.
In the event of the scores being level after 90 minutes of play, the winners of the Cup will be decided on a penalty-shoot out. Please note that extra-time will not be played.
Uachtaráin na hÉireann, President Michael D Higgins, has presented the trophy that the teams will be playing for on the day and his gesture has been warmly welcomed by the Chairman of the National League Executive Committee, Eamon Naughton.

“President Higgins support for the Airtricity League and Irish soccer is deeply appreciated and the introduction of the President’s Cup will provide us with an exciting game between the league champions and cup winners to start each new season,” said Mr Naughton.

The Director of the Airtricity League Fran Gavin said: “President Higgins is a huge supporter of our game and takes the time out from his busy schedule to go to games and meet players, officials and supporters. He is really behind this idea and the game will also have a charitable aspect to it.”

seand
14/01/2014, 5:46 PM
The previous "President's Cup" was the LFA President's Cup. This is the Republic of Ireland's President's Cup, so a completely different thing! I believe the suggestions to play a glorfied pre-season friendly in the Aviva are somewhat misguided.

Charlie Darwin
14/01/2014, 5:50 PM
Ireland-Serbia is on Wednesday the 5th. Would there not be an argument for bundling the two games together in the Aviva?

Trainee
14/01/2014, 6:04 PM
Ireland-Serbia is on Wednesday the 5th. Would there not be an argument for bundling the two games together in the Aviva?

Kick off would be to early for most fans eg something 4pm. It wouldn't get a big crowd at that time.

Hopefully it will be close to a sellout in Richmond Park

avvenalaf
14/01/2014, 6:26 PM
No chance. Lucky to get 2000.

NeverFeltBetter
14/01/2014, 8:34 PM
Yes, you mentioned that already.

legendz
14/01/2014, 8:43 PM

Playing the game at the home of the league champions seems to be what they've gone with. These games in other countries usually herald the start of the new season. It's a good idea for signalling the start of the season, which is all this sort of game does elsewhere. Any possibility of the game being on tv?

NeverFeltBetter
14/01/2014, 8:59 PM
I think its a great idea and I'll probably head to Richmond myself.

Charlie Darwin
14/01/2014, 9:48 PM
Yes, you mentioned that already.
Mention it again, avvenalaf. He'll hate that.

avvenalaf
14/01/2014, 11:12 PM
Your wish is my command. Lucky to get 2000. That's 1999 and neverfeltbetter, if he shows.

Dodge
15/01/2014, 12:13 AM
The previous "President's Cup" was the LFA President's Cup. This is the Republic of Ireland's President's Cup, so a completely different thing! I believe the suggestions to play a glorfied pre-season friendly in the Aviva are somewhat misguided.
No such thing as the Republic of Ireland's president. Tut tut tut

Lads this is a pre-season friendly. If it reaches 4 figures I'll be astonished. Look at what the Setanta cup, league cup early rounds, Leinster senior cup games get and what the old presidents cup and FAI super cup games got.

I honestly think somehere have never watched LOI football before. The Aviva? Jesus....

NeverFeltBetter
15/01/2014, 12:23 AM
Yeah, there's no way using the Aviva could be justified (unless it was something like Charlie Darwin suggested above). League champions ground will do just fine. How many do Pats usually get for pre-season games?

Dodge
15/01/2014, 12:26 AM
200-400

littlebray
15/01/2014, 1:07 AM
The previous "President's Cup" was the LFA President's Cup.

Can anyone point me to a source on the LFA PC, please? I know it was played at least as early as 1930s, and as late as 1980s, but can't find any proper details on line (forget the Leinster FA site, of course!).

NeverFeltBetter
15/01/2014, 1:32 AM
200-400

Well, here's hoping the novelty value might draw in a few more.

Yossarian
15/01/2014, 9:00 AM
Has it been mentioned if the President will be attending?

D24Saint
15/01/2014, 9:07 AM
One article I read said he would be making the presentation at the end of the game,I'd imagine the FAI made sure he would be available before making any announcement.

legendz
15/01/2014, 10:29 AM
It's a good time to start while there's a president in office who's a LoI supporter.

NeverFeltBetter
15/01/2014, 11:31 AM
Has it been mentioned if the President will be attending?

He's been to so many games all over the place, OI'd be stunned if he didn't turn up to the one that's named after his position.

wonder88
15/01/2014, 9:07 PM
Hope that Pats can get a decent crowd out for this; with the President supporting this game and also a charity element to it. With it being on a sunday afternoon I would expect a good number of Sligo fans to be there.

legendz
15/01/2014, 9:12 PM
Hope that Pats can get a decent crowd out for this; with the President supporting this game and also a charity element to it. With it being on a sunday afternoon I would expect a good number of Sligo fans to be there.

Be great to see a strong neutral support at the game as well, especially anyone within an hours drive.

Charlie Darwin
15/01/2014, 11:22 PM
Be great to see a strong neutral support at the game as well, especially anyone within an hours drive.
Ideally the demand from within the two teams would be strong enough to mean neutral support isn't needed. I suppose it depends on if the two clubs and their supporters take it seriously rather than just thinking it's a pre-season runaround. Richer doesn't hold that much, does it, around 4,000? Is there an actual trophy for this?

NeverFeltBetter
15/01/2014, 11:53 PM
There is indeed a trophy, at least according to the news reports. Will that make much a difference though? I don't know how other leagues get teams/fans to take their super cups seriously.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
16/01/2014, 8:09 AM
Ideally the demand from within the two teams would be strong enough to mean neutral support isn't needed. I suppose it depends on if the two clubs and their supporters take it seriously rather than just thinking it's a pre-season runaround. Richer doesn't hold that much, does it, around 4,000? Is there an actual trophy for this?

It's just a pre-season game. We'll bring very few to it. Enough trips to the Eastern side of the country as it is. Think there was 3,200 at the game Pats won the league in. There won't be half that there fpr this game. If even that.

Remember we played in Shams in 94 in another version of this and they're being a small crowd at it

Dodge
16/01/2014, 9:34 AM

No chance of rail travel and the game clashing with the Manchester derby on TV will severely hinder any chance of a good crowd.