Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Darklordsbane
07/10/2013, 12:09 PM
Teams that can qualify are in this order
Longford town
Waterford united
Mervue united

The team that finishes 2nd will half the 2nd leg at home

Longford are ahead of Waterford on goal difference (3)
Mervue are behind both teams by 1 point behind Waterford by 5 goals and Longford by 8

If all 3 team win Waterford and Longford will qualify for the playoff
If Waterford or Longford lose and Mervue win, Mervue will qualify
Waterford and Longford can both draw if Mervue don't win,
Waterford and Longford can both lose if Mervue don't win,
Mervue have to win no matter what else happens to have any chance

Good luck to all and may the best teams qualify

ATFC-1887
07/10/2013, 12:14 PM
I fancy Mervue and Waterford to get the 2 spots. I think we will be to good for Longford and expect both Mervue and Waterford to win. It would obviously be a special night for us if we knocked Longford out of the top 3 and lifted the trophy against them in the one night. Be a great end to the season :)

Jofspring
07/10/2013, 1:08 PM
So if Mervue qualify for the play off and win the first play off that means the team that finishes second from bottom in the premier is automatically safe or does it mean Galway FC have a straight path into the premier?

Nesta99
07/10/2013, 2:36 PM
So if Mervue qualify for the play off and win the first play off that means the team that finishes second from bottom in the premier is automatically safe or does it mean Galway FC have a straight path into the premier?

That scenario doesnt have the sound of judicial reviews or appeals at all!!! Im sure that Waterford and Longford would be quite happy for a club to get promoted above them only for that club to withdraw from LoI and another parachuted in above them or a relegated side being re promoted. Mervue promotion would be the FAI's worst case leaving Waterford and Longford with some chance out of the first division off field. Michael Rafter anybody...

Battery Rover
07/10/2013, 2:52 PM
Any idea how many Longford supporters are travelling to see "their" cup and watch Roddy having a drink from it.

bluewhitearmy
07/10/2013, 2:53 PM
It wont matter there is no hope Mervue will be allowed to finish in the play off spots. Referees will make sure of that on the last day.

**FrOsTy**
07/10/2013, 3:01 PM
What I think will happen RE: Mervue been promoted is that the trust or whatever they are that are behind the new Galway FC team, will coincidentally jump ship to a "Rebranded" Mervue team I.E Change name to MUG (Mervue Utd Galway) and for licencing purposes move to Terryland, and take their place in the premier.

Longfordian
07/10/2013, 3:39 PM
Any idea how many Longford supporters are travelling to see "their" cup and watch Roddy having a drink from it.

Cousins will attack Roddy and make off with the trophy, WWF style. About the only way we'll ever get any silverware with him in charge.

atfconline
07/10/2013, 4:05 PM
awwww it'll be so nice for Longford to see what a League trophy looks like.

Call it a parting gift! :)

Longfordian
07/10/2013, 5:00 PM
Yeah fair play it's only been 13 years since ye last finished ahead of us.

Weak I know but it's all we've got left..

Trainee
07/10/2013, 7:44 PM
If Mervue somehow get promoted, I assume that the Premier league who they beat in playoff final would be in premier. Only way Galway FC will be in premier will be if there is a single division next season

NeverFeltBetter
07/10/2013, 9:30 PM
Beyond anything that comes after, if that Mervue squad gets to a play-off spot, or even further, they deserve a lot of respect, doing so with the constant reminders from so many parties that they're achievements will be meaningless.

nigel-harps1954
07/10/2013, 11:14 PM
Beyond anything that comes after, if that Mervue squad gets to a play-off spot, or even further, they deserve a lot of respect, doing so with the constant reminders from so many parties that they're achievements will be meaningless.

Absolutely spot on. Mervue deserve huge credit for the way they've handled themselves this season in the face of criticism and uncertain futures.

I would be in favour of letting them keep their place in the league. Boot Salthill out and give GUST their shot for a year or two and assess things after that.

ATFC-1887
08/10/2013, 12:14 AM
I love this "we'll never win anything with cousins in charge". All they Longford lads seemed to be saying it but i still think the players have to take responsibility. They simple were not good enough. Nobody gave out about cousins when ye were 9 points clear of us and playing the same football as ye played for the rest of the season.

galwayhoop
08/10/2013, 8:10 AM
What I think will happen RE: Mervue been promoted is that the trust or whatever they are that are behind the new Galway FC team, will coincidentally jump ship to a "Rebranded" Mervue team I.E Change name to MUG (Mervue Utd Galway) and for licencing purposes move to Terryland, and take their place in the premier.

You actually haven't got a clue

Macy
08/10/2013, 8:29 AM
I love this "we'll never win anything with cousins in charge". All they Longford lads seemed to be saying it but i still think the players have to take responsibility. They simple were not good enough. Nobody gave out about cousins when ye were 9 points clear of us and playing the same football as ye played for the rest of the season.
Plenty were saying it actually, as we weren't playing that well, but were winning But sure add it to the myths, like us saying it was "our" trophy, and your 400 volunteers missing from attendances.

bluemovie
08/10/2013, 9:12 AM
You actually haven't got a clue

That could be said to anyone involved in Galway football for the last five years.

Bosco
08/10/2013, 1:57 PM

That's not true in fairness, as you pointed out yourself we played the same type of football all season, plenty were giving out about Cousins last season and even when we were doing well at the start people could see we were playing badly but still getting results. I don't agree with this blame Cousins for everything attitude either but due to the fact that this season has been a replica of last season but worse has to lay the majority of the blame with him.

ATFC-1887
08/10/2013, 2:39 PM
Plenty were saying it actually, as we weren't playing that well, but were winning But sure add it to the myths, like us saying it was "our" trophy, and your 400 volunteers missing from attendances.

To be fair Midlands 103 sport had the interview on Twitter with your chairman or whatever he was saying about Ye will bring the trophy down so roddy can have a drink from it so not exactly a myth.

adamd164
09/10/2013, 2:15 PM
Athlone are 2/1 at home to Longford, bookies presuming they're already on holidays. Might be worth a few quid.

atfconline
09/10/2013, 2:42 PM
Roddy wasn't impressed with their Harps attitude / performance. If they've any sense they won't let that happen again.

legendz
12/10/2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.airtricityleague.ie/about/press-office/5124-airtricity-league-play-offs

I see the play-off dates are as follows:

FIRST DIVISION PROMOTION/RELEGATION PLAY-OFF
October 18/19: Third placed Club v Second placed Club
October 25/26: Second placed Club v Third placed Club
(Winning Club to play the 11th placed Premier Division Club in the Promotion/Relegation Play-off Final over two legs)
PROMOTION/RELEGATION PLAY-OFF FINAL
October 28/29: Eleventh placed Premier Division club v Winner of First Division play-off
November 1: Winner of First Division play-off v Eleventh placed Premier Division club

Darklordsbane
12/10/2013, 11:43 PM
That's diabolical the team from the 1st division have to play 4 games in 2 weeks, I don't know how Mervue's squad is but Longford better hope for rapid cures to the injury list

bluewhitearmy
12/10/2013, 11:50 PM
That's diabolical the team from the 1st division have to play 4 games in 2 weeks, I don't know how Mervue's squad is but Longford better hope for rapid cures to the injury list

Not really Longford and Mervue play on the 18th --------Bray play the 18th Shels play the 16th.

Longford and Mervue play the 25th-------------Shels and Bray play the 25th.

So there isnt any real difference for any of the 4 teams.

galwayhoop
12/10/2013, 11:57 PM
Not a problem for Mervue. They will rest most first team players for the games on the 18th & 25th so they're in good shape for the last two games.

Darklordsbane
13/10/2013, 11:07 AM
Very funny

legendz
13/10/2013, 2:47 PM
Not really Longford and Mervue play on the 18th --------Bray play the 18th Shels play the 16th.

Longford and Mervue play the 25th-------------Shels and Bray play the 25th.

So there isnt any real difference for any of the 4 teams.
Spot on. It's good to see the relegation system go through the full motions for once.

Darklordsbane
13/10/2013, 3:03 PM
well spotted Galwayhoop as usual I wrote before I checked it out

nigel-harps1954
13/10/2013, 4:06 PM
Mervue will win the First Division play-off. Longford will get nothing in Fahys Field and I see a draw in Longford.

Town Legend
13/10/2013, 4:11 PM
Ah well, sure we might as well call it a day! Best of luck Mervue in the play-off final.

NeverFeltBetter
13/10/2013, 9:34 PM
Some achievement from that Mervue team.

nigel-harps1954
13/10/2013, 9:37 PM
Some achievement from that Mervue team.

Consider the fact most of their team were released by other clubs in the League as not being good enough and it makes it all the better.

Olander
13/10/2013, 11:01 PM
Consider the fact most of their team were released by other clubs in the League as not being good enough and it makes it all the better.Eh?! That may be the case with 2 or 3 of their players, max. O'Mahony, Shanahan, and Hanley perhaps. Most of the rest of their squad is comprised of ex GUFC players and underage Mervue players. Most of the ex-GUFC players they have are decent players. Curran, King, Molloy, Sinnott etc.

nigel-harps1954
13/10/2013, 11:39 PM
Eh?! That may be the case with 2 or 3 of their players, max. O'Mahony, Shanahan, and Hanley perhaps. Most of the rest of their squad is comprised of ex GUFC players and underage Mervue players. Most of the ex-GUFC players they have are decent players. Curran, King, Molloy, Sinnott etc.

Just of their starting team the other night.

Joe Woods - released by Athlone under Mike Kerley..who were awful at the time.
Gary Curran - released by Harps. Was overweight and looked past his best.
Tom King - only made it to Sligos reserve team in the A championship. Played in the worst ever Galway team before signing for Mervue. One good season at Longford.
Barry O'Mahoney - still only about 21 and already a journeyman. Simply laughed at by Harps fans and Athlone fans.
Gary Shanahan - not good enough for Dundalk under Sean McCaffrey..enough said.
Stephen Walsh - another of the worst Galway team ever.

The other 5 lads that started came through the ranks at Mervue alright.

Also the likes of Ross Kenny and Ger Hanley who didn't make the cut at other clubs, that didn't start.

NeverFeltBetter
13/10/2013, 11:46 PM
You'd have to imagine that Johnny Glynn will find a job somewhere else in the LOI if Mervue do pull out, considering what he's pulled off with that team and those circumstances.

Olander
14/10/2013, 12:04 AM
Just of their starting team the other night.

Joe Woods - released by Athlone under Mike Kerley..who were awful at the time.
Gary Curran - released by Harps. Was overweight and looked past his best.
Tom King - only made it to Sligos reserve team in the A championship. Played in the worst ever Galway team before signing for Mervue. One good season at Longford.
Barry O'Mahoney - still only about 21 and already a journeyman. Simply laughed at by Harps fans and Athlone fans.
Gary Shanahan - not good enough for Dundalk under Sean McCaffrey..enough said.
Stephen Walsh - another of the worst Galway team ever.

The other 5 lads that started came through the ranks at Mervue alright.

Also the likes of Ross Kenny and Ger Hanley who didn't make the cut at other clubs, that didn't start.
Can't say I agree with Curran and King... I rated both highly when they were at United. I think I (and many other United fans) were mystified when Sean Connor released King, a player that showed a lot of promise in his first season with United in the limited appearances he made. He was released for Bobby Ryan, a journeyman, who was past it (to say to the least) and wasn't even attending training. Gary Curran was a starter for GUFC for 2 seasons running in the Premier Division and was pretty useful, not top class or anything but solid. Potentially a very good midfielder in the First Division if he trimmed off some of the timber, which it seems he has done.

O'Mahony,Shanahan and Hanley I named. Shanahan was an excellent signing...showed some promise at Dundalk at times...Hanley probably has a reputation because of his Irish underage involvement but he's not that great at all.

Stephen Walsh is a distinctly average Premier Division player, he has absolutely no football in him whatsoever. But he probably wouldn't be too out of place in the current First Division. No real point including him on the list, yes he was part of the worst ever Premier Division team but it should be noted that the First Division (standardwise) this season is horrendous and most of the players in that squad would play at that level easily and a lot of them are currently doing so in Mervue and Devon squads.

Macy
14/10/2013, 8:37 AM
Consider the fact most of their team were released by other clubs in the League as not being good enough and it makes it all the better.
Wouldn't that apply to most players in the 1st Division, at all clubs? If they were that good, they wouldn't be playing in this hell hole!

Guitd
14/10/2013, 9:48 PM
You'd have to imagine that Johnny Glynn will find a job somewhere else in the LOI if Mervue do pull out, considering what he's pulled off with that team and those circumstances.
He already has a full time job at GMIT he runs the sports development course there and is course co-ordinator as well as GMIT soccer head coach --manager of Mervue is only a hobby on the side ........

Longfordian
14/10/2013, 10:13 PM
He already has a full time job at GMIT he runs the sports development course there and is course co-ordinator as well as GMIT soccer head coach --manager of Mervue is only a hobby on the side ........

A prime candidate for Galway FC manager perhaps?

NeverFeltBetter
14/10/2013, 10:16 PM
https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/389815506255228928

Oh dear, oh dear.

Anyway, we all know who Bray and Shels want to win between Longford and Mervue. I'm torn between wanting to see Mervue win just to make the FAI squirm a bit more, or Longford so its actually meaningful.

Longfordian
14/10/2013, 10:22 PM
Mervue will be like men possessed in these games. Even more determined than they would have been. What is the point of the First Division play off if they won't be allowed in either division next year?

athloneman
14/10/2013, 10:45 PM
well whats the point of the playoff then? mervue told they wont be in the league? surely then if there is a new galway team they have to be put in the first division so why don't the fai save everyone the hassle and tell mervue not to bother turning up because they don't matter and that Longford will get the playoff final spot?

NeverFeltBetter
14/10/2013, 10:46 PM
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Ha, I haven't been able to drop a good Joss Whedon quote into anything in ages.

nigel-harps1954
14/10/2013, 10:53 PM
I really hope Mervue win promotion now, just to see what happens.

NeverFeltBetter
14/10/2013, 10:55 PM
Disgraceful timing too. Obvious what the FAI is trying to pull here.

bluewhitearmy
14/10/2013, 11:33 PM
Surely if GUST are as much about the good of football and all as they say they would push for Mervue to be allowed to take their rightful place in the premier if they were to be promoted.

NeverFeltBetter
14/10/2013, 11:43 PM
Fat chance. This is all leading up to the rebirth of "I can't believe its not Galway United". Mervue's exploits are just upsetting that railroad journey.

bluewhitearmy
14/10/2013, 11:48 PM
Fat chance. This is all leading up to the rebirth of "I can't believe its not Galway United". Mervue's exploits are just upsetting that railroad journey.

Oh i know i just love how they have gone on about being all about the good of football in Galway, surely having a Galway club earn the right(if it were to happen) and then get to take part in the top tier of Irish football is good for football in Galway.

Olander
14/10/2013, 11:50 PM
Surely if GUST are as much about the good of football and all as they say they would push for Mervue to be allowed to take their rightful place in the premier if they were to be promoted.
How the **** is the FAI not allowing Mervue into the Premier Division spinned into some tosh about GUST as usual, you utter lemon?

NeverFeltBetter
14/10/2013, 11:52 PM
Well, Mervue's attendance problems can't be denied, and I have no idea if Fahy's Field would be up to scratch for PD level even if Mervue pulled it off, so its not like there are no legitimate impediments. But this just feels like a lousy way for this Galway business to be progressing. First and foremost, progression should be based on the merits of the team.

Grimly fascinated to see how Mervue come out against Longford now.