PDA

View Full Version : Permutations for 1st division play off spots

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Mr A
22/10/2013, 10:39 AM
The overall situation is a bit of a disaster. But if Mervue wanted to go ahead and be a premier club then they shouldn't have thrown their lot in with the Galway FC project. They can't be half in and half out making a last second decision to suit themselves. But they're now in a horrible position where all they can achieve is to screw over Longford.

But arbitrarily cancelling the playoff now seems crazy. Why let them play in the first bit but not the second? Had the FAI stepped in at the start and said- you've made your decision as a club, so either we're putting Waterford in or else just letting Longford go forward then that would make some small level of sense. As would letting the playoffs proceed all the way through and dealing with the new season only once this is complete. Instead stopping the playoffs half way through would be just plain crazy. Whatever about Mervue, Longford certainly would have a case if Mervue manage to keep them down.

Macy
22/10/2013, 11:23 AM
The FAI want to maintain the premier division club - it's the only thing about letting Mervue in the playoff's that makes any sense. Two of the three that could be in the playoff would have issues surviving relegation going on media suggestions, and from talking to supporters. Even the FAI couldn't justify a 6 team first, never mind the potential loss of a big name club, so the least headaches for them is Mervue beating Longford and ensuring only shels go down.

Bray Head
22/10/2013, 12:22 PM
Given the FAI's statement confirming that Mervue will definitely not be in next year's premier, I really hope Longford can do us all a favour, turn this around and relegate Bray.

UCD or Bohs could be in the play off yet so either of those can still be relegated.

gufct
22/10/2013, 12:51 PM
The people I feel sorry for are the,Supporters, players and Managment in Mervue but this has been flagged for 18 months and their member on the interim Board of GFC agreed to it before the start of the season. It's that person who should be answering the questions.

atfconline
22/10/2013, 6:29 PM
Press release issued just now.

Airtricity League Promotion-Relegation Play-Off details announced

Details have been announced for next week’s Airtricity League Promotion-Relegation Play-Off. The play-off will be contested by the team finishing 11th in the 2013 Premier Division and the winners of the First Division play-off between Longford Town and Mervue United which is currently in progress.

The Premier Division team will be at home in the first leg which will take place on Monday, October 28, at 7.45pm with the First Division team at home for the second leg on Friday, November 1 at 7.45pm. In the event of the scores being level on aggregate at the end of 90 minutes in the second leg, then 30 minutes of extra time will be played and if the scores are still level a penalty shoot-out will take place. Please note that away goals do not count double in the Airtricity League play-offs.

The identity of the two teams that will contest the Promotion-Relegation Play-Off will be known after Friday evening’s games with Bray Wanderers, UCD and Bohemians the potential Premier Division representatives while either Longford Town or Mervue United will represent the First Division.

ENDS

Terry
22/10/2013, 6:50 PM
I'll wait and see what they say tomorrow !

Mr A
22/10/2013, 8:14 PM
Oooooooooooh
You put the Mervue in
The Longford out
Bray in Bohs out
Shake it all about
You do the playoff pokey and you turn yourself around
That's what the FAI's about.

Charlie Darwin
22/10/2013, 8:25 PM
Oooooooooooh
You put the Mervue in
The Longford out
Bray in Bohs out
Shake it all about
You do the playoff pokey and you turn yourself around
That's what the FAI's about.
Ooooooooh jokey jokey jokey!

toffeejay
25/10/2013, 6:28 PM
This article implies that both Salthill and Mervue will drop out to accommodate Galway.
http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2013/10/18/4341689/mervue-united-swansong-shines-a-light-on-fai-mismanagement

They can't go ahead with a 7 club first divison can they?
Is someone going to come up or would not make more sense to have an 18 team single divison (with Wexford moving down with the other two)?

gufcfan
26/10/2013, 12:00 PM
Probably saw it here first...

There once was a young man called John,
Whos reign people thought far too long,
But with free drinks on the train,
And sing songs on the plane,
Shur what could be possibly wrong??

adamd164
26/10/2013, 12:57 PM
I think Longford will struggle against Bray, much and all as I'd like to see them come up. The first division side always struggles with the tempo that the premier division players are used to playing at.

mcgonigle
26/10/2013, 7:01 PM
I think Longford will struggle against Bray, much and all as I'd like to see them come up. The first division side always struggles with the tempo that the premier division players are used to playing at.

With more rain due this weekend the pitch in the Carlisle will be bad if playable at all, cut up badly last night. This could be a leveller!

Jofspring
26/10/2013, 7:20 PM
I think the likes of Byrne, Dempsey and Waters will see bray over the line.

Martinho II
26/10/2013, 7:22 PM
Davy O Sullivan will have a point to prove against Bray as he was let go by them originally!!

L.T.F.C.
27/10/2013, 1:49 AM
Did you say that Sully has scored 26 this year Marty?

Longfordian
27/10/2013, 8:27 AM

I believe that's right yeah 23 in the league and play offs and 3 in the FAI Cup.

Martinho II
27/10/2013, 4:55 PM

correct LTFC

outspoken
27/10/2013, 8:19 PM
Gary Dempsey and Jason Byrne are the key men. If we stop Dempsey we stop their main supply line while our back 4 must simply stick to Byrne like glue and not allow him a yard of space. Marty waters individual brilliance a concern also but hopefully our youngsters like Ebbe and Purdy can surprise a few.

fitzpatrick10
28/10/2013, 1:31 AM
I believe that's right yeah 23 in the league and play offs and 3 in the FAI Cup.

does that include the peno he took ?

Longfordian
28/10/2013, 10:28 AM
does that include the peno he took ?

The one in the shootout? No.

NeverFeltBetter
28/10/2013, 8:36 PM
2-2 final score, Longford come back from two first half Byrne goals. Bray the better team by most accounts. No away goals as far as I know, so tie is interestingly poised going into the second leg on Friday.

nigel-harps1954
28/10/2013, 8:59 PM

Make that 27. Super result for Longford. I do feel they can do the business on Friday night, but it'll be another one that'll go right to the wire. Don't be surprised to see another penalty shootout.

ATFC-1887
29/10/2013, 12:09 AM
I am fully convinced Longford will be promoted. Have no faith in Bray whatsoever. I wouldnt have any problem with Longford going up, just not this year. Will be an interesting game friday by all accounts.

gufcfan
29/10/2013, 1:22 AM
I am fully convinced Longford will be promoted. Have no faith in Bray whatsoever. I wouldnt have any problem with Longford going up, just not this year.

Longford getting a spot in the PD next season could be the difference between survival and relegation for Athlone in 2014. Might sound a bit harsh on Longford, but we all know know Bray will never be relegated.

galwayhoop
29/10/2013, 7:26 AM
Longford getting a spot in the PD next season could be the difference between survival and relegation for Athlone in 2014. Might sound a bit harsh on Longford, but we all know know Bray will never be relegated.

Then how do Longford get promoted?

Macy
29/10/2013, 8:26 AM
I am fully convinced Longford will be promoted. Have no faith in Bray whatsoever. I wouldnt have any problem with Longford going up, just not this year. Will be an interesting game friday by all accounts.
It'll probably be one division next year anyway - ye finally managed to get promoted the one year it didn't actually matter.

Tiki-Taka
29/10/2013, 12:06 PM
2-2 final score, Longford come back from two first half Byrne goals. Bray the better team by most accounts. No away goals as far as I know, so tie is interestingly poised going into the second leg on Friday.

Not surprising when you consider Longford played 120 minutes of football just three nights beforehand, although reports suggest they were the better team in the second half. Looking forward to the game at City Calling Stadium on Friday night now. :)

Charlie Darwin
29/10/2013, 4:50 PM
Would you not prefer to keep the midlands derby going in the Premier?

gufcfan
29/10/2013, 11:18 PM
Then how do Longford get promoted?

They don't, obviously.

ATFC-1887
30/10/2013, 12:32 AM
Would you not prefer to keep the midlands derby going in the Premier?
Ah it would be great alright but when is the last time we got something to cheer about and Longford didnt haha. 1 season in the Premier and them in the first would do nicely.

galwayhoop
30/10/2013, 2:26 AM
They don't, obviously.

Making you original point redundant.

avvenalaf
30/10/2013, 12:50 PM
Seemed to be a big emphasis on the away goals on RTE last night. Do they count in the playoff?

Longfordian
30/10/2013, 12:52 PM
No. They never do in the play offs. It was just RTE getting it wrong.

gufcfan
30/10/2013, 12:57 PM
Making you original point redundant.
No, better for them that Bray be relegated.

prince20
30/10/2013, 1:16 PM
Ah it would be great alright but when is the last time we got something to cheer about and Longford didnt haha. 1 season in the Premier and them in the first would do nicely.

So you prefer games against Bray than local derbies which bring crowds and atmosphere?? Comments like these makes me wonder sometimes can people see the wood from the trees.

Id much prefer to see Logford in the same division as Athlone at all times.

ATFC-1887
30/10/2013, 6:22 PM
Do you really think that if Longford were in our position they would be hoping we get promoted. Not a chance

Acornvilla
30/10/2013, 6:46 PM
Do you really think that if Longford were in our position they would be hoping we get promoted. Not a chance
I'd always want to have both in the premier.

I hate people being petty..

Macy
30/10/2013, 7:22 PM
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd take 3 clasicos over 3 against Bray, even if Bray would be handier for me personally. Some Athlone fans have been absolutely pathetic in recent weeks - maybe a season in the premier will get rid of your bitterness.

ATFC-1887
30/10/2013, 7:47 PM
Pathetic?? How exactly. Saying we dont want our main rivals to do well is pathetic?

nigel-harps1954
30/10/2013, 8:04 PM
Pathetic?? How exactly. Saying we dont want our main rivals to do well is pathetic?

Two of the biggest attendances in the First Division this season were Athlone v Longford and the reverse fixture. You'd really rather have no local derby for a year just to rub it in the faces of Longford fans that they didn't get promoted?

Priorities and all that..

NeverFeltBetter
30/10/2013, 8:51 PM
I was starting to dislike the Athlone fanbase, but then I realised it was literally just the loudest ones on here that were creating that opinion.

redarmyfaction
30/10/2013, 10:01 PM
Do Athlone and Longford both play on Saturdays or is it just Athlone? Longford is such a handy away trip barely 60 miles it doesn't really matter, sorry Bray but your ground is too cold and you wouldn't let us in to the tent even when it was lashing so come on Longford.

atfconline
30/10/2013, 11:00 PM
Other way round. We play on Friday and Longford play on Saturday. We have played on Saturday in the past but Friday is our traditional day.

IrishRossi
30/10/2013, 11:03 PM
longfords home matchs do generally be of a sat night which is handier then trying to rush home from work of a friday night

Charlie Darwin
30/10/2013, 11:07 PM
longfords home matchs do generally be of a sat night which is handier then trying to rush home from work of a friday night
Was that always the case or have you been on a Friday schedule before?

IrishRossi
30/10/2013, 11:09 PM
as i long as i can remember(which aint that long) they have been of a sat night

Martinho should be able to proide more info

Town Legend
30/10/2013, 11:13 PM
I think when we got the floodlights we started out with Friday night football before changing to Sat night football the season after. I stand to be corrected though!

Charlie Darwin
30/10/2013, 11:14 PM
Is there an example of a team who have switched from Friday to Saturday or vice versa while they were in the same division posting stable attendances? It'd be interesting to have a case study of whether changing over has an impact on attendances in either direction.

IrishRossi
30/10/2013, 11:17 PM
i reckon sat night would be better for attendences, now i may be wrong but its nice to go to a match before hitting the town for the night

Longfordian
30/10/2013, 11:21 PM
Other way round. We play on Friday and Longford play on Saturday. We have played on Saturday in the past but Friday is our traditional day.

Yeah going back over the years there's always been a fair few people that would go and see both teams in the one weekend, particularly when ye were last in the Premier Division apparently. Saturday has always been better for us attendances wise.