PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany(A) 11th October & Kazakhstan(H) 15th October 2013 - World Cup '14 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Stuttgart88
11/10/2013, 6:52 AM
So, is it shaping up to be:

Forde
Coleman Delaney Clark O'Brien
Gibson Wilson McCarthy
Stokes Long Pilkington (or McGeady)

ifk101
11/10/2013, 6:58 AM
The Independent is going with;

Forde
Coleman Clark Delaney Wilson
McGeady Gibson Whelan McCarthy Pilkington
Stokes

If the above is the team for tonight, only 3 starters from the 6-1 defeat - Coleman, McGeady and McCarthy.

shakermaker1982
11/10/2013, 7:50 AM
Just realised this game isn't on UK tv. FFS

I'm at a beer festival today from midday and was hoping to head home for the match..........looks like I'll have to stay out.

Duggie
11/10/2013, 9:16 AM
aaah i'll be so p1ssed if robbie is defo out. cant see anyone else scoring, anyone who reckons he should be dropped needs medical help IMO. please God he stays for the next campaign. i'm always optimistic we can score when he plays, always.

Stuttgart88
11/10/2013, 10:04 AM
Steven Reid is very interesting in today's Indo. I posted it here rather than in the Andy Reid thread as the article moves on to King and the match.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/steven-reid-a-daunting-test-but-weve-got-a-chance-under-a-manager-who-is-prepared-to-involve-our-best-players-29651644.html

paul_oshea
11/10/2013, 10:22 AM
Just call him Love.
I don't mind him or his comments, they were accurate enough and I've been saying that for ages, but I don't agree that we can't play better now or that we can't employ a different approach to what trap flogged to death and do better than our results in this campaign. Loewe's perceptions. like a lot of non Irish people, are guided by plastic stereotypes of what Irish is supposed to be, happy friendly drunks and in sport, gallant but crude and fated to lose. In the global world, Ireland is seen as the pub. Of course I would never expect that you fit that stereotype Paul?

I certainly don't think Germany are a super team or that they are generally destined to be superior at sports. Us icelanders regularly spank Germany at handball and even football:) It's a sheer pleasure to shove their superiority where the sun doesn't shine. Don't equate that with something prejudiced, that would be a thick interpretation.

It's "we" icelanders if you are going to be all inclusive in that one - nice reference now just because "you" still have a chance of qualifying ; )

paul_oshea
11/10/2013, 10:22 AM
This game could be a new Loew point for Ireland :D

No The germans pronounce W as a "V" that was the joke geysir was trying to make.

geysir
11/10/2013, 10:24 AM
No The germans pronounce W as a "V" that was the joke geysir was trying to make.
Some people try, others do.

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2013, 1:04 PM
Delaney & Whelan?
Hmm.

Not the right game for the former and the sooner we rid ourselves of the latter...

DeLorean
11/10/2013, 2:33 PM
No Long would be a mistake as well I think. I know some people didn't seem to take the suggestion of him troubling Mertesacker too seriously, but they do have a small bit of history with Mertesacker getting a red card for a professional foul on Long last season. I don't think Mertesacker is nearly as bad as he's made out to be, but he can be fairly cumbersome and Long's nifty touches and pace could cause him problems. That's if aul Per even plays. When is this team being announced anyway?

zero
11/10/2013, 3:02 PM
No Long would be a mistake as well I think. I know some people didn't seem to take the suggestion of him troubling Mertesacker too seriously, but they do have a small bit of history with Mertesacker getting a red card for a professional foul on Long last season. I don't think Mertesacker is nearly as bad as he's made out to be, but he can be fairly cumbersome and Long's nifty touches and pace could cause him problems. That's if aul Per even plays. When is this team being announced anyway?

god be with the days of trap when he'd name the team the night before and we'd have the whole day of the game to complain about it!

BonnieShels
11/10/2013, 3:25 PM
Just realised this game isn't on UK tv. FFS

I'm at a beer festival today from midday and was hoping to head home for the match..........looks like I'll have to stay out.

As I always state on Ireland match days for ye Mainlanders...

www.unblock-us.com

DeLorean
11/10/2013, 3:26 PM
god be with the days of trap when he'd name the team the night before and we'd have the whole day of the game to complain about it!

Exactly. There is something commendable in the way he would basically say...

"Well ye smug German b@stards... this is what we've got. It's now over to ye to see if ye can muster up a plan to bypass Greeny and Whelo and keep tabs on my slippery fish up top".

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 3:49 PM
Seems like Delaney and Clark are the centre halves. Trying to think if Delaney is the biggest of the options available there - to mark Mertesacker from the numerous corners and attacking set plays Die Mannschaft are likely to have?

I think Long on the wing is a red card waiting to happen, as he seems to get frustrated quicker than most and this is a night where he could be frustrated quickly.

I also think it's a mistake no to play McGeady tonight. I'm a huge fan, no shame there, but his tracking back, and his ability to take the ball on winding runs when we're on the backfoot is unfairly overlooked in my opinion. Add that to the fact that I think Pilkington did garbage in the last double-header and I think it's a mistake.

I'd have put MacCarthy in beside Gibson, with Hoolahan or Reid ahead of them. Obviously the thinking is that MacCarthy is going to be free to pressurise Germany from the back out, whether that is Schweinsteiger, Ozil or Khedira.

Stuttgart88
11/10/2013, 3:57 PM
I think Long on the wing is a red card waiting to happen, as he seems to get frustrated quicker than most and this is a night where he could be frustrated quickly.
I don't think he'll be on the wing per se, certainly not as Trap used to play Walters, Keogh and Cox. The wide forward is still a forward and would get involved in the game in the same way a forward does.

tetsujin1979
11/10/2013, 4:39 PM
Stokes has been playing that way a little for Celtic, with Samaras as the centre forward

texidub
11/10/2013, 5:10 PM
Does anybody have any links for this game?

The scoreline tonight is not as important as the performance.

So I expect us to win 1-0 :D

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 5:22 PM
Steven Reid is very interesting in today's Indo. I posted it here rather than in the Andy Reid thread as the article moves on to King and the match.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/steven-reid-a-daunting-test-but-weve-got-a-chance-under-a-manager-who-is-prepared-to-involve-our-best-players-29651644.html

Feel sorry for Andy, Trap was out of order, pre-historic management style, it sounds like it was not a lot of
fun playing for Ireland under Trap and his authoritarian style. If the trips were more enjoyable a lot more
players would be keen to play for us.

Hope things improve under Noel sounds like they already have, and he can't do worse than our last defeat
against Germany (at least I hope not!!) anyhow Germany have nothing to play for, they will probably go easy on us!!

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 5:30 PM

Well never heard his name spoken I guess it would still work though as 'love' is 0 in tennis, so it would be German 6( or whatever), Ireland Loew

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 5:37 PM
wow.
Forde
Coleman (c)
Kelly
Clark
Delaney
Whelan
Gibson
MacCarthy
Wilson
Stokes
Doyle

Didn't see that coming.

4-2-2-1-1?

Whelan-Wilson
Gibson-MacCarthy
Stokes
Doyle

Clever Mr King, very clever.

tetsujin1979
11/10/2013, 6:11 PM
There's at least three players out of position there, plus Kelly who really shouldn't be starting. If I didn't already fear the worst, oI'd fear the worst

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:15 PM
Delaney & Whelan?
Hmm.

Not the right game for the former and the sooner we rid ourselves of the latter...

Delaney is in the top 100 premiership players on his stats so he must be doing something right, not really seen a great deal of him
playing though, will be a good chance to get a look at him. We know what to expect from Whelan of course.

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:25 PM
Does anybody have any links for this game?

The scoreline tonight is not as important as the performance.

So I expect us to win 1-0 :D
http://link.ltv.su/154281/en
Might be here, but I hope I or someone can find something better.

dr_peepee
11/10/2013, 6:31 PM
Sweet Lantern Devine Jayzus.. OMG... WTF

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:38 PM
Another link might be better not English

http://footenlive.us/stream1.html

very good quality but not english, german methinks

back of the net
11/10/2013, 6:43 PM
Johnny logan is no nadia forde

Uncle_Joe
This one is in Technicolor
http://www.drakulastream.eu/static/popups/176271850352260.html

rebelmusic
Anyone found an English link? All i can find are german and arabic

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:47 PM
This one is in Technicolor
http://www.drakulastream.eu/static/popups/176271850352260.html

commentary is a bit harsh, my german one is easier on the ear i think

dr_peepee
11/10/2013, 6:50 PM
Christ... I mean he could've played O'Brien at FB, pushed coleman forward and still been defensive. That's back to Stan that *****..

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:54 PM
Christ... I mean he could've played O'Brien at FB, pushed coleman forward and still been defensive. That's back to Stan that *****..

yea a bit back to the futureish

rebelmusic
11/10/2013, 6:55 PM
Ah here we go again. At least this guarantees Noel King won't be manager.

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:55 PM
1-0 too easy all I see is Stokes defending I think he lost the ball in the first place though

back of the net
11/10/2013, 6:56 PM
Anyone looking for a english link try www.wiziwig.tv

rebelmusic
11/10/2013, 7:00 PM
Thanks, this oen is decent

http://nutjob.eu/gurutv1.html

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 7:02 PM
It's the little things. 15 mins gone. Our weaker players are doing the small things wrong. Little things like throwing a ball to the centre-mid/half throat, so the ball bounces and isn't controlled immediately. Or when the ball is passed back onto the players obvious weak foot.

Or having a goalkeeper who ****s himself when the ball rolls to him. If those basics aren't right, we've no f'ing chance.

Paddy Garcia
11/10/2013, 7:04 PM
My stream - I think its from the US

Anyway - the expert footballer a Scot with Chelsea (?) "I've never heard of Noel King!

Feck - its just gone to a juicing advert!!!

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 7:08 PM
My patriotic 30p on Ireland to win at 16-1 looks like dead money at the moment, to be fair it
felt like dead money when I put it on!! :D

back of the net
11/10/2013, 7:09 PM
Based on this , I think I must have been watching a different noel king doing interviews during the week

Uncle_Joe
11/10/2013, 7:10 PM
I wish the Germans would stop taking this so seriously

rebelmusic
11/10/2013, 7:15 PM
This is painful and i can't remember Trap every making a team selection this bad to be fair to him

texidub
11/10/2013, 7:17 PM
This one is good: http://nutjob.eu/gurutv1.html

Sorry lads, I think we were very, very unkucky with the goal. Up to then, we had played well, defended well, away from home, against these supposed hotshots and had even put put some nice passes together in front of goal. If we had the luck the Germans had when Stokes or Doyle took that shot... it'd be a different game.

Same old story in other words! :D

Paddy Garcia
11/10/2013, 7:30 PM
Bloody Stokes

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 7:30 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Stokes could have buried that!!

tetsujin1979
11/10/2013, 7:33 PM
I did fear the worst, but 1-0 isn't a bad scoreline at half time, Forde has kept the Germans at bay, and with some luck we could have scored on half time.

the doc
11/10/2013, 7:40 PM
I did fear the worst, but 1-0 isn't a bad scoreline at half time, Forde has kept the Germans at bay, and with some luck we could have scored on half time.

I agree, I'd take the 1-0 loss now.

rebelmusic
11/10/2013, 7:41 PM
Two things i don't understand. Why does Forde kick long all the time and why does noone ever show for the ball? It's all just frantic booting up the field. One thing we majorly lack and have done really since Duff left is someone who regardless of how everyone else is playing will try to hold the ball and look for an out player.

IsMiseSean
11/10/2013, 7:42 PM
Ireland are now 66/1 to win. Tempting Tricky?

back of the net
11/10/2013, 7:43 PM
Liam brady is back to being a professional analyst now that his mate is no longer manager. "Playing players in the wrong positions".....thats what ur buddy did liam

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 7:44 PM
Austria leading Sweden 0-1.

Gotta look at the positives, it's only 1-0 and we had a good chance, German did have too many
chances but they looked to be only in 2nd gear most of the time.

Half time changes? I think Noel will leave it is seeing as we finished on a high note,
maybe we have turned the corner.............watch this space...

Stokes could have buried that!!