PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Trap

Pages : [1] 2 3

DeLorean
11/09/2013, 10:59 AM
Just said I'd counteract the other thread with regards the breaking news.

Things had obviously ran their course and I'm happy this has been sorted out quickly. I, for one, wish Trap all the best and am grateful we had him as manager, although after the Euros would have been the best time to go, certainly with the benefit of hindsight. A gentleman with the utmost dignity, even if there are a hundred and one things that led to frustration during his time in charge.

Hopefully now we get the right man in.

Giovanni Trapattoni leaves Ireland post (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/giovanni-trapattoni-leaves-ireland-post-29571307.html)

BonnieShels
11/09/2013, 11:00 AM
Here here.

geysir
11/09/2013, 11:11 AM
Perspectives have been lost of what damage Trap is supposed to have inflicted on the irish soccer public and the intl team.
Generally he did well up to Nov 2011, after that date (in an about turn) his personality and mentality began to take its toll on our team. Some people may scorn about the kudos due to Trap for getting that away win against Armenia, or the easy away win against Macedonia, but they don't know anything.

tetsujin1979
11/09/2013, 11:13 AM
if you had said after the 1-1 draw at home to Cyprus that we would be at a World Cup play off in two years, and qualify for a tournament two years later, you'd have been laughed off the forum. Yet, that's where Trapattoni brought us.
I'm genuinely sorry to see him go, and I fear for the future of the game here with GAA in the ascendancy again, and rugby still drawing massive viewing numbers, but I have to admit it was one qualification tournament too many.

I think in time, his majority of his tenure will be remembered well.

Thanks for the memories Trapattoni, Paris, Poznan, etc,

Bottle of Tonic
11/09/2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, would echo the above sentiments.

jebus
11/09/2013, 11:23 AM
I think he'll be remembered a lot better than he is today. It's definitely time for him to go as his ideas haven't come off this qualification campaign but The Best Fans In The World Eva seem to forget what a state the national team was in when he took over and what he achieved in his first two campaigns. Sure Euro 2012 was disappointing, but we were in an extremely tough group against the two eventual finalists (one of whom is arguably the greatest international side ever) and a strong Croatia side. We were the weak link of the group and were shown to be as much at the tournament, nothing more, nothing less.

I think in four years time people will look at Trap's tenure with a great deal more fondness than they're giving it now

Onefootednopace
11/09/2013, 11:40 AM

Things had obviously ran their course and I'm happy this has been sorted out quickly. I, for one, wish Trap all the best and am grateful we had him as manager, although after the Euros would have been the best time to go, certainly with the benefit of hindsight. A gentleman with the utmost dignity, even if there are a hundred and one things that led to frustration during his time in charge.

Giovanni Trapattoni leaves Ireland post (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/giovanni-trapattoni-leaves-ireland-post-29571307.html)

Spot on with that post- he did the best with what was available to him. Qualification for Euro 2012 was the highpoint- unfortunately our luck ran out when we were paired in a group with the eventual finalists.Our limitations were badly exposed on the big stage. Maybe we lost the run of ourselves and expectations went overboard.
As the saying goes "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

BonnieShels
11/09/2013, 11:44 AM
As the saying goes "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

But you can put a cat in the bag.

Crosby87
11/09/2013, 11:44 AM
We have good player. The Keane. The Duff.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-nxD81wylBuXrJvkbQ9HfZqWHbaZZqHZVg1Bf5r4U8JT4Q9tWww

SwanVsDalton
11/09/2013, 11:52 AM
Would agree with a lot of the above.

It's worth remembering the dignity with which he faced down those 'FAI sources' this time last year when his job was under threat. Even journos who dislike his methods, acknowledge he tends to act with a bit more nobility than his FAI bosses. Even when falling-out with players.

Overall I think his tenure was a success, albeit tempered with a very sour final chapter. It was one campaign too many but he's not the first, or last manager, to fall for that.

And, mostly, I'll always be fond of Trap era because it was blazingly entertaining. Baffling press conferences. Inexplicable team and squad selections. Fantastically quizzical quotes in mangled English. All wrapped up in a pure football being, whether that people liked the being or not.

Love him, hate him - it certainly ain't been boring.

DannyInvincible
11/09/2013, 11:58 AM
Last night dealt a heavy blow to what remaining sympathy I had for Trap. His public comments along with his attempts to justify and cling on left me growing more depressed with the situation whilst his stubborn and wholehearted faith in the same old exposed tactics (or should that be "tactic"?) left me utterly frustrated and hopeless. It had all begun to feel a bit numb, although I was fuming by the time the final whistle went last night.

Nevertheless, the man does deserve respect and remembering with admiration both our qualification for the Euros and how close he brought us to the World Cup in 2010 is only just when judging his tenure. I certainly don't think he's deserving of tirades of abuse and whatnot. A great manager in his time who seemed to genuinely believe that what he was doing was what was best for us given his interpretation of our circumstances. Football has moved on, however; now, hopefully, we can too.

I'm in work at the minute and the computers are horribly slow and unstable so I've not been able to follow the reaction so far this morning in any great detail. I'm assuming, as his departure was by mutual consent, this is a resignation as opposed to a sacking and that he will not be the beneficiary of the hefty pay-off many had feared? If this is indeed the case, it at least demonstrates honour and integrity.

osarusan
11/09/2013, 12:01 PM
Best of luck to him in the future.

Decent performance to get to a playoff, bettered that with a Euro finals, but then the wheels came off. His downfall has probably been a (stubborn?) refusal to try anything different from plan A.

For the next few years, I think we'll find that our problems run deeper than just the manager of the senior team.

Supreme feet
11/09/2013, 12:16 PM
Under a different manager, things really could have gone pear-shaped after Staunton's departure. Trapattoni inherited a mess, and quickly restored team spirit, purpose, organisation and discipline to the side. Our away record and ability to grind out victories against the smaller nations was very commendable, especially considering the travails of other mid-ranked European sides, and it brought us to two playoffs and one qualification - a record which bettered the efforts of many traditionally strong teams in the same campaigns, like Serbia, Belgium, Switzerland and Romania.

However, there was a certain complacency at the heart of the Trapattoni era which was eventually our undoing. It was assumed that the defence was solid and organised when it was actually quite vulnerable, particularly at set-pieces, and that didn't change. Central midfield was screaming out for a change from the very early days - a competent alternative to Steven Reid was never found, nor even sought, after his injury. Even in our successful campaign, we struggled on carrying these flaws, limping home against Macedonia and Armenia, picking up the points that Slovakia threw away, and taking advantage of the weakest draw in the history of UEFA-zone playoffs. As the likes of Duff and Given retired, and Dunne, Doyle and Keane became less influential, we started to see some really odd selections in the squad, and increasingly, the starting line-up. These situations could have been dealt with better. By 2012, Trap had taken the team as far as he could, but then, hindsight is a fine thing.

Despite how it all ended, Trap remains a charismatic, dignified and genial football man, and he will always have my goodwill.

Spudulika
11/09/2013, 12:39 PM
As always public sentiment is driven by what sells advertising space for the media. Perspective went out the window early on when INM went after their (then) minority shareholders stake in the Trap project. It's a pity as the first 2 campaigns were successful, despite what some would try to convince us now, and this campaign was a disappointment. What is most depressing now is the inability for talking heads to talk sense and accept they do not speak for the "country" and only for their own job.

Last night (I watched this morning) there was a very annoying little move by TOD to drum up a row or controversy when the ex-manager tried to say that he was mindful not to lose and to get 3rd. If you listen to it the interviewer then attempts to get him into saying 3rd was enough. It was this kind of ambush that marked the last couple of years.

Good luck to the man, he did well and at least made Ireland competitive again.

koneinc
11/09/2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks Trap for Paris and Tallinn

Bungle
11/09/2013, 1:08 PM
I like the man and respect what he has achieved in football. He did a very good joon the whole up until 2011. I don't want to criticise him on this thread, but all I can say is thanks for the memories and thanks for the entertaining interviews and (hopefully) getting us up to 2nd seeds for Euro 2016.

dr_peepee
11/09/2013, 2:14 PM
I can't help but feel this job was a bit of a Nixer for him.

DannyInvincible
11/09/2013, 4:11 PM
I like the man and respect what he has achieved in football. He did a very good joon the whole up until 2011. I don't want to criticise him on this thread, but all I can say is thanks for the memories and thanks for the entertaining interviews and (hopefully) getting us up to 2nd seeds for Euro 2016.

We'll genuinely be lucky if we hold on to our place in the third pot.

the doc
11/09/2013, 4:17 PM
if you had said after the 1-1 draw at home to Cyprus that we would be at a World Cup play off in two years, and qualify for a tournament two years later, you'd have been laughed off the forum. Yet, that's where Trapattoni brought us.
I'm genuinely sorry to see him go, and I fear for the future of the game here with GAA in the ascendancy again, and rugby still drawing massive viewing numbers, but I have to admit it was one qualification tournament too many.

I think in time, his majority of his tenure will be remembered well.

Thanks for the memories Trapattoni, Paris, Poznan, etc,

I echo those sentiments.

For me Trap was a genuinely nice person, very professional, he put in 100% and expected the same from his players and staff.
An honour to have had him as manager of Ireland.

In Mr Trapattoni we trusted, thanks for the memories.

DannyInvincible
11/09/2013, 4:20 PM
I understand Trap has agreed to waive some of the compensation owed to him.

Stuttgart88
11/09/2013, 4:33 PM
Really nice and charismatic man. He steadied the ship after Staunton and brought order where there was chaos. I have to say though that that's as good as it got for me, despite the qualification. Bulgaria and Slovakia's implosion opened up second places and we were able to take advantage despite beating neither. We played well against Italy twice, I accept. We got one tough playoff draw and one easier one.

Best away record of any Irish manager, but worst home record too. Too many misunderstandings with players, not enough tinkering with shape and tactics, and when he did he put square pegs in round holes (Keogh & Cox RHM, McClean advanced midfield in Serbia...). I think he's being cheeky claiming credit for "discovering" new players. Everyone on this forum knows who our better players are at all age groups, so a well-paid manager should do the same. He never trusted players with talent and favoured brawn over skill in an era where skill is allowed to thrive.

In an age when GAA and rugby are perceived as being more successful (I stand by my comments that the rugby golden generation vastly underperformed and that "club" rugby and club football are incomparable) Trap has contributed to the impression that football is a dull game and has deterred paying punters.

He's not without his positive points but on balance I'm very glad to see the back of him.

BonnieShels
11/09/2013, 4:40 PM
I echo those sentiments.

I will never forget that night in Dalymount v Nottingham Forest and pinching myself looking over at the touchline at the fact that Trap was on the sideline with Tardelli.
I will never ever forget that.

backstothewall
11/09/2013, 5:47 PM
I for one am grateful for everything he has done for us, including even considering the job in the first place. I don't know what he will do know, but i would wish him every success in the future, or a long and happy retirement.

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2013, 10:33 PM
Good riddance at this stage.
Retirement 14 months ago would have left a better impression.

tricky_colour
12/09/2013, 2:23 AM

Yes of of course many will be delighted he has gone expecting things to be a whole lot better, that remains to be seen,
they may well be a whole lot worse, or more likely pretty much the same.

One positive is everyone starts with an un-blotted copybook with the new manager.

tricky_colour
12/09/2013, 2:26 AM
Farewell Trap, if you retire and get your own ice cream van I will be happy to stop you and buy one.
(provided they are reasonably priced).

KK77
12/09/2013, 2:42 PM
Thanks Trap.

Prof Hoffman
12/09/2013, 3:15 PM
Ranked 59th in the world after Panama, Wales, Cape Verde Islands and Honduras. Thanks Trap.

punkrocket
12/09/2013, 5:19 PM
Timely reminder there.
What is it with Irish people not wanting to speak ill of the departed.
If I had to pick a memory of his time with us I think it would be Bari and how the Italians were jealous of us. That last 10 or 15 minutes when we were pressing for and getting an equaliser was as good as it got under Trap for me.
I had me 2 year old son with me at the match that night, his first. His last was the Germany game.

youngirish
12/09/2013, 8:09 PM
My overriding memory of the man is that he steadied a ship that had been steadily sinking since post Korea/Japan and, after Staunton's disastrous reign, he actually reintroduced some revolutionary concepts such as tactics and organisation back into the fold. On a negative note we played dreadful football under his reign without it proving to be particularly effective as it had done under Charlton. He was very slow to realise there were new and better players available to him and his substitutions were dreadful. He was also paid far too much for what he actually achieved.

Very happy to see him go but I thank him for dragging us out of the depths that Staunton had brought us to. I'm not sure we will get someone better but a change is needed.

legendz
12/09/2013, 9:13 PM
I was happy enough with the job he did in the first campaign. Making the team hard to beat. Was hoping the team would play more in his second term but hey wasn't complaining majorly when we qualified for the Euro's. Disappointing really with the way things went after that but it shouldn't entirely overshadow what went before.

DeLorean
13/09/2013, 7:17 AM
What is it with Irish people not wanting to speak ill of the departed.

Some of us think he did a very good job up until a point, that's all. If I thought he was rubbish for the duration of his tenure I would have no hesitation in saying it, whether he be departed, deceased or otherwise.

dr_peepee
13/09/2013, 7:33 AM
Can anyone remember who it was that warned us and wasn't happy when Trap was hired? He was a regular poster at the time.

youngirish
13/09/2013, 9:03 AM
Can anyone remember who it was that warned us and wasn't happy when Trap was hired? He was a regular poster at the time.

There was definitely an Austrian lad on here who knew about him from his days at Salzburg who stated that we would tire of his negative style and tactics. He seemed to be of the opinion that many fans were happy with him leaving Salzburg though I can't remember if he was a fan himself or not.

IsMiseSean
13/09/2013, 12:27 PM
Anyone got Traps competitive record goals for & against?
I've done a google search but I just keep getting his overall record.

jbyrne
13/09/2013, 12:35 PM
Cape Verde Islands

and what happened to them yesterday??

nobody is happy about how things ended but if an Irish supporter cant bring themself to thank trap for drawing with the world champions home and away in wc qualification, italy friendly win, paris, euros qualification, unbeaten away record until the last etc then you'd have to ask if they really care about how we do.

he had us up to 18th at one stage. did you give him credit for that the same way you blame him for where we are now?

OwlsFan
13/09/2013, 12:38 PM
A man who will be remembered for whom he didn't play rather than for whom he played. I am not sure there has been such a devisive split among Irish supporters since or indeed before Saipan.

I was amused by some supporters around me in Vienna on Tuesday screaming for the introduction of Brady, the Hull City winger who was to be our saviour. Bit by bit he introduced the players the fans demanded and bit by bit our results got worse. Wilson was responsible for the goal in Vienna - remember what a world beater he was going to be. McLean was the next George Best. I can still see McCarthy trailing in the wake of Alaba in that game and the hugely maligned Green holding the midfield together. The Norwich sub Hoolahan, the failed Premiership player Andy Reid and the stayaway Ireland would make us the great team we should be or better at least. Perhaps and we shall see under the new manager but to me his tenureship will be remembered for Paris, qualification, the unbeaten away run and the endless debate on whom he left out.

Should he have left after Poland (following a near-miss and qualification) ? It would have been bizarre if he did despite the three defeats in the tournament. Apparently we not only had to qualify but also do well at the tournaments among the elite of Europe. A very tough ask. However, 90% of managers have a sell by date and few survive 3 campaigns and so it was with Trap.

His style of football didn't bother me one iota provided it brought results. It was used as a stick to beat him with by the media and some fans but a manager's job is to get his team playing the way he wants it and that he did and selected his players around that style. My regret is that he didn't know how to adapt it for home games but then he wasn't the first Irish manager to fail in that regard. I am also sorry that he caused so much division in the Irish football community.

So he has gone and I believe history will judge that he was a success. But he is now history and let's get on and support the next manager even if, God forbid, he is --- ----- !

p.s. Goodbye Manuela as well xx

jbyrne
13/09/2013, 12:50 PM
I am also sorry that he caused so much division in the Irish football community.

didnt stop 40,000 of them going to Poland to support his team though!

Grafter
13/09/2013, 12:50 PM
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/PA-10862452.jpgCHAMPIONS:rolleyes:

ArdeeBhoy
13/09/2013, 1:06 PM
Of a non-existent competition...

DannyInvincible
13/09/2013, 5:14 PM
Of a non-existent competition...

Against fake countries!

legendz
13/09/2013, 9:44 PM
Against fake countries!
It was ridiculous playing all the games in the Aviva. If they were interested in having a few more editions of the competition, every team should have had at least one home game with each team getting two home games every second competition. It was always doomed for failure and low crowds in the Aviva only.

DannyInvincible
14/09/2013, 2:50 AM
A pick of Trap quotes: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/giovanni-trapattoni-in-his-own-words-1.1523479

“Ireland are not a second-rate team...They are supposed to be a first-rate team. Qualifying for the World Cup in 2010 will be hard, and playing against the Italian team will make me proud, but it should be possible for Ireland to come first.” - A statement released on his behalf when appointed Ireland manager

“It wasn’t up to Henry to say I touched it with my hand. It’s not his task to say he handles it.”

“He cannot say ‘Excuse me referee, I handled it’, the responsibility is with the referee.”

“The referee should have asked Henry did he handle it and let him answer.” – On a certain incident in Paris

“Sometimes football lets you down, but like life it gives you another opportunity every day . . . it’s football, it’s life.” – also on that incident

“The cat is in the sack, but the sack is not closed. The cat is in it, but it’s open – and it’s a wild cat.” – after beating Estonia during the Euro 2012 play-offs

“Many national teams are interested. They asked us ‘What are you doing, what aren’t you doing?’ But for now we’re remaining loyal to what we signed. But in life I always say, never say never.” – Committed to the Irish cause in 2010

“I always say that, in addition to being a coach, I’m also a priest. I go to each player’s room and say who is playing and who isn’t. I talk and explain. It’s a little like confession.” – As manager of Italy during Euro 2004

“I love [Kevin] Doyle. As a player, not a man. I love women … without doubt.” - Clearing up the matter of his love for a certain striker

“He jumps like a kangaroo.” – On Shane “Skippy” Long

“When I heard the crowd I thought Messi or Pele or Maradona was coming on.” - On the reception James McClean received on his debut

“I don’t expect, after this campaign, to go up again (with Ireland) in the future. But after five years I think we have achieved a good result.” - After the latest defeats

“Obviously I thought until yesterday that we could go to the World Cup. I still think that the last two games can be decisive, I don’t think that you can take for granted that Sweden will win in Kazakhstan, but maybe now third position would be a good position for us.” - On the team’s prospects now

“Football is like that. There is disappointment but there is also the opportunity to continue. Maybe I will have the opportunity to go with other teams, if not the Irish, maybe another. Why not?” - On opportunities post-Ireland

tricky_colour
14/09/2013, 3:11 AM
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/PA-10862452.jpgCHAMPIONS:rolleyes:

Funny how fickle fans are, oh so quick to forget the glory days.

Mind you we would struggle to win the same competition now even thought we could play pretty much field the same squad bar Duff and Given.

DannyInvincible
14/09/2013, 3:28 AM
Funny how fickle fans are, oh so quick to forget the glory days.

Who could remember? Was there anyone there?

geysir
14/09/2013, 11:46 AM
That 'champagne' bottle is a Carling?
I suppose that fitted the occasion.
That was our 2nd ever trophy, it might well be our last.
Unless we compete for the Muratti Vase in the Island Games against Guernsey, Jersey, IoM, IoW, Sark, Aland etc.

DannyInvincible
14/09/2013, 11:55 AM
That 'champagne' bottle is a Carling?
I suppose that fitted the occasion.
That was our 2nd ever trophy, it might well be our last.
Unless we compete for the Muratti Vase in the Island Games against Guernsey, Jersey, IoM, IoW, Sark, Aland etc.

Wasn't the "trophy" manufactured with recycled Carling tins?

geysir
14/09/2013, 1:46 PM
While it's no glittering hall of fame trophy, I have no complex about our team winning it, even if it was made on the cheap.

ArdeeBhoy
15/09/2013, 6:00 AM
Yes, except now stuck in a museum, never to be defended hopefully.

OwlsFan
16/09/2013, 5:29 PM
Yes, except now stuck in a museum, never to be defended hopefully.

I enjoyed the tournament and attended all the games. The Scottish team was made up many players who play in the Scottish league where Celtic play. Is that a "non-existent" league ?

It showed that under Trap we were quite someway ahead of the UK teams and our draw in Wembley again on paper a much stronger English side also was a feather in our cap. The fact that some people couldn't be bothered going to the games because there wasn't enough hype for them, doesn't belittle the tournament for me.

I agree though that the concept of all the games in the Aviva was flawed. But it was nice to see us win something and you would swear we are world-beaters the way some people looked down their nose on it. Scotland should be stronger than us and Wales on a par and Norn Iron trailing behind (although in the past they have been better) so I have no problem with us winning that tournament. Certainly better than losing it.