PDA

View Full Version : Premier Division- The Run In

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

oriel
04/09/2013, 10:14 AM
Last night was a huge result for Pats, took a good bit of bottle to go up there and get the win. It probably is looking a little out of reach for Sligo, they are hoping on 3 outcomes, slip ups by Pats, DLK, and winning every game themselves. Probably all very unlikely to happen.

If we are still in with a shout going into the last weekend I`ll be very happy. The fixtures for October for Pats/DLK are interesting, and this will be after the showdown on 20/09 in Richmond.

DUNDALK………...................PATS………….…..…
07/09……….Drogheda (H)…..Limerick (A)……..
20/09……….St Pats (A)……….Dundalk (H)………
27/09……….Limerick (H)…….Bray (A)……………
04/10……….Derry (H)………...UCD (A)…………..
12/10……….Bohs (A)………….Sligo (H)…………..
18/10……….Cork (H)………….Derry (H)………….
25/10……….Bray (A)…………..Cork (A)………….

Our run in looks the 'easier' but I still recall Rovers losing 3-2 away to UCD in October 2010, so thats a definite reminder that there will be slip ups when least expected.

Mr A
04/09/2013, 10:25 AM
Thought this was worth a thread of its own rather than a match thread so split it out.

avvenalaf
04/09/2013, 11:26 AM
Looks like Pats to lose. Would say if they don't lose to Dundalk in Inchicore, they'll win it. Deserve it too as they were excellent last year, We've done our money after last night and we just don't have the imagination in midfield to create enough goal chances. Still get Europe and have a crack at the cup , so a reasonable season.

PartySaint
04/09/2013, 2:00 PM
Dundalk have to lose eventually......right?

Nesta99
04/09/2013, 3:44 PM
Looks like Pats to lose. Would say if they don't lose to Dundalk in Inchicore, they'll win it. Deserve it too as they were excellent last year, We've done our money after last night and we just don't have the imagination in midfield to create enough goal chances. Still get Europe and have a crack at the cup , so a reasonable season.

Dont know if you can say its anyones to lose at this stage, if Pats go 4 or 5 points ahead then it can only be thrown away, after the next 2 games all will be much clearer to state the obvious. Agree though that Pats not losing to Dundalk is important as it is then looking for favours time from others(if the Derby hurdle is navigated). As for who would deserve it most - well being biased, turning things around from bottom of the league to challangers in one season is more impressive/deserving than turning an already competative side to challangers imo. In a strange way i wish i was a neutral as then it would be a thoroughly enjoyable run in, as it is after over a decade of strife peaking last season - to be teased by the chance of a 10th title and to miss out would just be wrong .... evil Stephen Kenny:p

Dodge
04/09/2013, 4:09 PM
The best team always wins the league. Whoever that is, clearly deserves it.

I'd say the teams are pretty level going into last 7 games. Pats win 2 points and a good goal difference in advantage but I think Dundalk have 'easier' run of games.

El-Pietro
04/09/2013, 4:42 PM
Looks like we could have a fairly big say in who gets the trophy as we play both teams in the last two games of the season.

I want neither team to win it, how do we achieve that! But I don't want Sligo to win it either, or Derry, or Shamrock Rovers, or Drogs....

Briuk
04/09/2013, 5:00 PM
I think Dundalk could draw against Drogs. And then if they don't beat Pats gap could be 4 or 6 points with two easy games for Pats and a Derry surely improved playing Dundalk. If Pats starts the last three games with a gap of 4 points I reckon they will win the league.

dejadem
04/09/2013, 5:14 PM
Deserve it too as they were excellent last year

But they weren't good enough to win it last year. Whoever wins it deserves it; if they're not top at the end, they don't deserve it.

East stand hoop
04/09/2013, 5:37 PM
I'm up for pats as they're the most likely to progress in europe. Unless we are there they'll have the highest co efficient of the irish teams and the best chance of being seeded in that 2nd qualifying round

White Horse
04/09/2013, 6:43 PM
I think Dundalk could draw against Drogs. And then if they don't beat Pats gap could be 4 or 6 points with two easy games for Pats and a Derry surely improved playing Dundalk. If Pats starts the last three games with a gap of 4 points I reckon they will win the league.

Every game will be difficult at this stage. Drogheda have a good run going, but going to Dalymount won't be easy, Limerick have already beaten us this season, and Cork's season has started. There are lots of potential banana skins for Pats and Dundalk.

TonyD
04/09/2013, 7:45 PM
But they weren't good enough to win it last year. Whoever wins it deserves it; if they're not top at the end, they don't deserve it.

True. If we're good enough we'll win it. If we're not, then we won't. We're in a very good position now obviously, so it will be disappointing if we don't do it. Lack of goals is the only thing I fear could scupper us now (although our goal scoring record is good this season). We should have killed that game off last night, instead there was always the danger we'd get caught with a sucker punch.

PartySaint
04/09/2013, 8:38 PM
Looks like we could have a fairly big say in who gets the trophy as we play both teams in the last two games of the season.

I want neither team to win it, how do we achieve that! But I don't want Sligo to win it either, or Derry, or Shamrock Rovers, or Drogs....

I forgot you have a hatred for Pats, would be great if we could win it in Turners Cross so :P

oriel
05/09/2013, 9:25 AM
Dundalk have to lose eventually......right?

We might go undefeated for the rest of the season and still not win it, who knows?

One thing for sure, if Pats win on 20/09, it would take a big turnaround for us to win it then, but no point looking beyond the next games for now, both have challenging enough matches this weekend. Limerick will want to put an end to their slump and Drogs are on very good form at the moment.

The table might take another turn come Sunday evening, we'll have to wait and see.

White Horse
05/09/2013, 10:02 AM
Looking at last years table, it is quite noticable that it will take a lot more points to win the league this year. This is after compensating for last year's table only reflecting 11 teams, rather than 12 this year.

Sligo won the league last year with 61 points, from 30 games. Drogheda managed to get second place with 57 points.

Pats already have 57 points from only 26 games, while Dundalk have 55 points from a similar number of games.

El-Pietro
05/09/2013, 10:17 AM
I forgot you have a hatred for Pats, would be great if we could win it in Turners Cross so :P

I actually have a small friendly wager with a friend that ye will win the league this year - from back when ye battered us in Cork earlier this year. Hes paying for my drink for the night if ye do. Just don't do it in Cork!

Dodge
05/09/2013, 10:30 AM

I'd prefer a guard of honour...

Nah Nah Nah Nah
05/09/2013, 12:44 PM
Looking at last years table, it is quite noticable that it will take a lot more points to win the league this year. This is after compensating for last year's table only reflecting 11 teams, rather than 12 this year.

Sligo won the league last year with 61 points, from 30 games. Drogheda managed to get second place with 57 points.

Pats already have 57 points from only 26 games, while Dundalk have 55 points from a similar number of games.

We had 57 points after 26 games last season.

Won the league after 28 games with 61 points.

Not saying we would have won the last 2 games if we hadn't had it wrapped up by then but the team would have been a much better condition to play the games that's for sure.

White Horse
05/09/2013, 12:49 PM
We had 57 points after 26 games last season.

Won the league after 28 games with 61 points.

Not saying we would have won the last 2 games if we hadn't had it wrapped up by then but the team would have been a much better condition to play the games that's for sure.

Fair point, I forgot that Drogheda's challenge fell away before the end of the season.

Dodge
05/09/2013, 1:42 PM
Fair point, I forgot that Drogheda's challenge fell away before the end of the season.

Pats challenge fell away. Drogheda were never really in the race IMO. Drogheda won their last 2, including a win over sligo (who were clearly celebrating)

dejadem
05/09/2013, 3:16 PM
Pats challenge fell away. Drogheda were never really in the race IMO. Drogheda won their last 2, including a win over sligo (who were clearly celebrating)

Just about in it, unlikely but not impossible, as we had 2 teams to pass; 1 point behind Pats.
We got 6 points from the last 9, Pats & Sligo got 3 from their last 9.
Unlikely we would have caught Sligo, without Pats passing them first, ditto with the way it finished.

El-Pietro
05/09/2013, 3:22 PM
I'd prefer a guard of honour...
you sick, twisted individuals! I'm not sure which would be worse!

Come on Dundalk! Don't make me go through this!

DaveyPats
05/09/2013, 3:22 PM
I think this week could be defining.

If Pats can beat Limerick and Drogheda can take a point off Sligo then I'd fancy Pats to push on and beat Dundalk next week.

Guarantee it won't go to plan though!

dejadem
05/09/2013, 3:38 PM
If ....Drogheda can take a point off Sligo.

Done, but I presume you mean Dundalk, that might be a bit more difficult.

Yossarian
05/09/2013, 6:38 PM
Dundalk play Cork at Oriel in the second last game of the season so perhaps you'd prefer to do the guard of honour there......!!!!

wonder88
05/09/2013, 10:26 PM
Pats in a very strong position now and they have been the best team I have seen this year. Now, I have not been at a Dundalk match this year and what I have seen of them on tv they also are playing some good stuff, and have beaten the Saints twice in the league, so my judgement could be wrong. Hope to catch a Dundalk game soon. It would be a great achievement by Stephen Kenny if he can guide Dundalk to the title in his first season there. Hope it goes to the last week and keep us entertained while adding to the nerves of fans of both clubs.

Spudulika
06/09/2013, 8:03 AM
Having firmly believed that despite new ownership and a really good manager that Dundalk would struggle, a spot in Europe is amazing, but a league win just a little out of reach. SK has brought in some excellent players and the heads have all come back up to Oriel once the team began to win. 2-3 more seasons like this and Dundalk could be the next Irish side to kick on into the Europa League group stage, I would have tipped Pats to do it, but as much as I like Bucko and his philosophy, I can see Pats winning leagues but not doing as much in Europe. Great end to a great season.

White Horse
06/09/2013, 8:25 AM
Having firmly believed that despite new ownership and a really good manager that Dundalk would struggle, a spot in Europe is amazing, but a league win just a little out of reach.

I also thought it would be a season where mid table would be a great finish and I admit I spent the first 10 games concentrating more on the teams below us than above us. Apart from the trauma of last year, the main reason was the size of the squad and the lack of centre backs.

Kenny assembled a small squad of versatile players, mostly midfielders who were comfortable on the ball. In recent years we had a lot of injuries and I thought this would decimimate the squad as the season wore on. However, apart from Keith Ward's unfortunate cruciate injury and John Mountney's recent ankle ligament problem, the squad has been largely injury free. A lot of credit most go to the professional approach of Stephen Kenny and his decision to devote a significant part of the weekly budget to fitness coaching.

For the first half of the season, we had one centre half. We were very lucky to get away with this.

The board increased the budget during the season as attendances began to run ahead of projections. Two centre halves were brought in, Brian Gartland and Simon Kelly. Francis McCaffrey and Jordan Keegan were brought in increase attacking options.

Who could have predicted that two virtually unknown players, Richie Towell and Pat Hoban would become two fo the best players in the league?

Dundalk's weaknesses at the start of the season were not exposed and have been fixed. So here we are, seven games to go.

Who will win the league at this stage? The team that wants it the most.

Dodge
06/09/2013, 10:19 AM
Who could have predicted that two virtually unknown players, Richie Towell and Pat Hoban would become two fo the best players in the league?

Towell was hardly unknown. Plenty of Irish under 21 caps. He played about 30-40 times for Celtic and Hibs

poster
06/09/2013, 11:32 AM
Derry/Shels called off.

Dodge
06/09/2013, 11:43 AM
Derry/Shels called off.

Wrong thread ;)

Nesta99
07/09/2013, 11:57 AM
Towell was hardly unknown. Plenty of Irish under 21 caps. He played about 30-40 times for Celtic and Hibs

I agree! Was an incredible signing for Dundalk - when i heard that he was considering a move back to LoI and then linked with us i thought not a hope. I presumed Shams would roll in waving wads of cash around and he would sign for them. (He has said since that he didnt like the sell that Shams were making in that the attitude was winning the league was more or less a formality so he should sign). Pats offered a contract too. Stephen Kenny did an amazing job convincing him join a club that had just finished bottom of the league.

Should add that Kenny saw something in Pat Hoban that others didnt and there were a few groans about signing another Mervue player and it didnt seem to show ambition; when Sheilds was resigned there was just disbelief after last season. Both have been fantastic and why as much as supporters often think they know there is good reason they are standing on a terrace rather than sitting in a dugout.

dong
07/09/2013, 9:36 PM
I agree! Was an incredible signing for Dundalk - when i heard that he was considering a move back to LoI and then linked with us i thought not a hope. I presumed Shams would roll in waving wads of cash around and he would sign for them. (He has said since that he didnt like the sell that Shams were making in that the attitude was winning the league was more or less a formality so he should sign). Pats offered a contract too. Stephen Kenny did an amazing job convincing him join a club that had just finished bottom of the league.

Should add that Kenny saw something in Pat Hoban that others didnt and there were a few groans about signing another Mervue player and it didnt seem to show ambition; when Sheilds was resigned there was just disbelief after last season. Both have been fantastic and why as much as supporters often think they know there is good reason they are standing on a terrace rather than sitting in a dugout.

Shams will be in again with that big cheque book nothing surer.
How could they not win the league with a Ryan/Towell midfield?:p

jinxy lilywhite
07/09/2013, 9:43 PM
I find it hilarious that we are still being written off with 7 games to go. In reality we are being written off for no apparent reason and the reason given if we do win the league is that if Pats bottle it.

to be fair I know people talk about us finishing bottom last season but that was last season and has absolutely no bearing on how we are doing this season. only 2 players stayed from last year. there has been new owners, a new manager and essentially a squad and from top down the emphasis of the club is to provide SK with the best possible conditions in which to manage and run his team. in this SK has been given total control of the footballing side of things and has been allowed to assemble his squad with absolutely no interference from anyone incl the owners.

when I knew we had hired Kenny as manager I knew we would be nowhere near the bottom and more than likely challenging for a euro spot because of the absolute calibre of manager he actually is. Conversely Sean McCaffrey actually had a higher budget than SK but since SK is a great manager player will play for him on lower money than they would under anyone else.

The Oriel momentum is grabbing focus and supporters are beginning to talk again openly about the town and how well the lads are doing. normally you would hear the odd rumour on the grapevine of some players acting the ******s or some other Oriel Park soap opera story but this year there has been absolute harmony. I have said before that I believe that this is the best Dundalk side I have ever seen even without winning anything at this moment but they are certainly up there with the great sides of 95, 88, 91 (the ones I am old enough to remember)

I don't know if we will win the league this year but if Pats or Sligo do then they will be deserving champions because we will bring it down to the wire.

first things first lets try to get the win over Drogheda

oriel
07/09/2013, 9:56 PM
Definitely the best football quality wise I have seen from Dundalk in possibly 25 or 30 years. For anyone around long enough they have the appearance of either the 1990/91 or possibly even the 1981/82 league winning teams. I never rated the 1994/95 winning side, always thought quite fortunate to win it. We may not even win anything this season, however looks odds on for a return to europe, who knows how it will pan out, but the football has been just brilliant to watch.

Whatever about any of that, the most important game so far this season is tomorrow, we have a great chance now, but tonight's slip up by Pats will only be mean anything if we can get 3 pts tomorrow.

TonyD
08/09/2013, 1:01 PM
I find it hilarious that we are still being written off with 7 games to go. In reality we are being written off for no apparent reason and the reason given if we do win the league is that if Pats bottle it.

Who's writing you off? No-one that I've seen. I think it will go right down to the wire. Hoping for a favour from Drogs this evening. Even a draw will keep things as they were, which will do nicely.

NeverFeltBetter
08/09/2013, 1:07 PM
Will Pats/Dundalk be televised?

adamd164
08/09/2013, 2:54 PM
RTE usually start showing games again when the bogball season is over, and Wikipedia informs me that the Pats/Dundalk game is on the weekend of the final in that, so I'd be surprised. Maybe Setanta might show it.

Sheridan
08/09/2013, 4:05 PM
Don't think anyone's writing Dundalk off at this stage, but the fact that a manager as psychologically fragile as Buckley or Kenny is going to win the championship just proves that there was no serious quality in the league this season.

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2013, 4:19 PM
Shams will be in again with that big cheque book nothing surer.
How could they not win the league with a Ryan/Towell midfield?:p
Rovers were in for Towell as the start of the season but he only had eyes for Kenny. I'd imagine he'll go to the England or else hang on at Dundalk.

TonyD
08/09/2013, 5:27 PM
Don't think anyone's writing Dundalk off at this stage, but the fact that a manager as psychologically fragile as Buckley or Kenny is going to win the championship just proves that there was no serious quality in the league this season.

What ?????? Psychologically Fragile ??? Seriously ? You do realise that both managers have won the Title in the past, right ? I'm sorry, but I think you're talking nonsense. As for quality, this Pats team is playing a quality of football as good as I've seen in my time watching this league. Can't speak for Dundalk, as I don't see them regularly, but their record shows they are no mugs. Sligo on their day are still a quality team too. Derry have fallen away, but have been good for most of the season. So it's been a really competitive league this year, not like when Bohs were winning it by 19 points or whatever it was (and that's not knocking that Bohs side, who were comfortably the best around that year.)

PartySaint
08/09/2013, 5:32 PM

Interesting you should say that, Buckley and Kenny are 2 of only 3 managers in the league that have actually won the title before. Ian Baraclough being the other one.

I hope RTE don't show our game against Dundalk, that means K.O will be changed to 7.05

Sheridan
08/09/2013, 6:33 PM
What ?????? Psychologically Fragile ??? Seriously ? You do realise that both managers have won the Title in the past, right ?
Yeah, I do realise that both managers won titles 10+ years ago (Kenny in the last truncated winter "season", Buckley on Dolan's considerable coat-tails), and have bottled multiple attempts since.

Aaron
08/09/2013, 6:47 PM
Dundalk 1-0 Drogheda

Stephen O'Donnell

Late in the game too

Fester
08/09/2013, 6:56 PM
Dundalk 1-0 Drogheda

Stephen O'Donnell

Late in the game too

Futbol24 says 88 min with Dundalk having a man Sent off in the 90 min

Aaron
08/09/2013, 6:58 PM
Yep about right, will be a good title race.

TonyD
08/09/2013, 7:29 PM
Yeah, I do realise that both managers won titles 10+ years ago (Kenny in the last truncated winter "season", Buckley on Dolan's considerable coat-tails), and have bottled multiple attempts since.

Disagree again. The only time since 1999 that Liam Buckley was in with a realistic chance of winning the title was last season. Bottling it would imply that his team were favourites or in a really good position to win it near the end of the season. (For example see Damien Richardson and Shels in 1998 ;) - now that's bottling it.) It would be extremely harsh to characterise Pats last year as bottling it. Even if I was to accept that (which I don't - Pats just came up a bit short last year, that's all. Nothing to do with bottle.) it's still not multiple attempts is it ? And as for Dolans coat tails, yeah the bulk of that squad was brought in by Dolan, but plenty of managers have inherited a successful team, he still had to go and win the title again, and that year was the closest race I can remember. In any other season Cork would have run away with the league. Stephen Kenny likewise has never really had the squad since Bohs, and certainly never got into a position where his team "should" have won it. You can point to last year of course when he had Rovers, but whatever went wrong there I really don't think it was down to "bottle".

Aaron
08/09/2013, 7:49 PM
Disagree again. The only time since 1999 that Liam Buckley was in with a realistic chance of winning the title was last season. Bottling it would imply that his team were favourites or in a really good position to win it near the end of the season. (For example see Damien Richardson and Shels in 1998 ;) - now that's bottling it.) It would be extremely harsh to characterise Pats last year as bottling it. Even if I was to accept that (which I don't - Pats just came up a bit short last year, that's all. Nothing to do with bottle.) it's still not multiple attempts is it ? And as for Dolans coat tails, yeah the bulk of that squad was brought in by Dolan, but plenty of managers have inherited a successful team, he still had to go and win the title again, and that year was the closest race I can remember. In any other season Cork would have run away with the league. Stephen Kenny likewise has never really had the squad since Bohs, and certainly never got into a position where his team "should" have won it. You can point to last year of course when he had Rovers, but whatever went wrong there I really don't think it was down to "bottle".

I totally disagree with that. Many Derry fans including myself feel that our 2006 squad was arguably better than our treble winning squad and despite missing out on the league on goal difference our european run that year was unreal and we felt we probably should have won the league

David Forde
Patrick Jennings

Eddie McCallion
Peter Hutton
Clive Delaney
Darren Kelly
Ken Oman
Mark McChrystal
Sean Hargan

Kevin Deery
Barry Molloy
Ruaidri Higgins
Shaun Holmes
Killian Brennan
Gareth McGlynn
Paddy McCourt

Kevin McHugh
Gary Beckett
Steven O'Flynn
Mark Farren

jinxy lilywhite
08/09/2013, 9:14 PM
I have to disagree with everything that Sheridan has said. Actually it is totally typical from a Dublin city come Bohs come rovers fan.

Kenny has won a league title with Boh, brought Derry pretty close to a league and probably in 2006 their European adventure cost them the league. An FAI cup and 4 league cups is no mean feat either.

to be honest we have the right man at the helm. he is no bottler and he is a born winner. time will tell if I am right or wrong but we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Ezeikial
08/09/2013, 9:32 PM
My gut feeling is that Stephen O'Donnell's late winner has a major bearing on what Dundalk need from the Pats game on 20 Sept. It probably change it from a "must win" into a "must not lose" match.