PDA

View Full Version : Cat Stevens-Musician or Terrorist?

joeSoap
23/09/2004, 8:47 AM
Personally I don't quite know. He refused to make any comment some years ago about 9/11 which indicated that while he didn't openly support the atrocity, he didn't condemn it either.
Is he really a terrorist, or a happy go lucky born again muslim musician??

Peadar
23/09/2004, 8:58 AM
Is he really a terrorist, or a happy go lucky born again muslim musician??

I think he has quite strong political and moral views but I don't think that he's a terrorist. The Americans probably fear the influence he could have more than actually considering him a direct terrorist threat.

green goblin
23/09/2004, 9:10 AM
"Never trust a hippy".

boc123
23/09/2004, 9:17 AM
In the late 1980s he supported the fatwa ordered by the Ayatollah Khomeini against Salman Rushdie. If he's so interested in peace and justice why couldn't he let Rushdie have his own personal opinion on a subject, insteading of supporting a death threat against a man for having the balls to stand up against islam.

We're lucky in the west that we're allowed to think for ourselves.

cullenswood
23/09/2004, 10:19 AM
I dont think he actually supported the fatwa, just said that if a man is blasphemous then the Koran says he must die.

He has also condemned the attrocity in Beslan a few weeks ago, and does a load of charity work over in the balkans, so I dont really reckon he's a suicide bomber of any sort!

boc123
23/09/2004, 10:34 AM
I dont think he actually supported the fatwa, just said that if a man is blasphemous then the Koran says he must die.

He has also condemned the attrocity in Beslan a few weeks ago, and does a load of charity work over in the balkans, so I dont really reckon he's a suicide bomber of any sort!

He definitely supported the fatwa, I was just reading about it on the BBC world website. Fair enough he does charity work, but how many other people would agree with killing someone just because they said something against a particular religion. I assume by him quoting the Koran that a man must die if he says something blasphemous means that he agrees with it otherwise he would have said the Koran says this and I don't agree....
I'm not saying he's a suicide bomber or anything like that, he's just one of a growing number of people getting more obssesed with religion
Anyway enough serious talk :o :o

cullenswood
23/09/2004, 10:57 AM
Anyway enough serious talk :o :o

Fair enough!

Everyone together now.....

Morning has broken
Like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken
Like the first day :D :eek:

joeSoap
23/09/2004, 2:02 PM
or:

It's not time to make a change
Just relax and take it easy
You're still young, that's no fault,
there's so much you have to go through
Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me
I am old but I'm happy.....

Jesus, shoot me now!!

the 12 th man
23/09/2004, 2:08 PM
lets just say he was'nt called CAT for nothing :D

Ruairi
24/09/2004, 10:04 AM
lads lads lads.....

it's only words...

lopez
24/09/2004, 11:32 AM
Listen lads, you may think this is funny. Some of you weren't born in Cat's heyday. But as someone who had to sit through at junior school in the seventies as this hippy teacher of mine recited his numbers day after day, I can tell you I ain't f*cking laughing. :mad:

Ruairi
24/09/2004, 11:33 AM
WHOA....

some serious issues there man...

cullenswood
24/09/2004, 11:54 AM
Listen lads, you may think this is funny. Some of you weren't born in Cat's heyday. But as someone who had to sit through at junior school in the seventies as this hippy teacher of mine recited his numbers day after day, I can tell you I ain't f*cking laughing. :mad:

Up at eight
You can't be late
for Matthew & Son,
He won't wait

(cue Streets of SanFrancisco style trumpets!)

There's one that will stick in your head all day lopez!

green goblin
24/09/2004, 12:31 PM
There's one that will stick in your head all day lopez!

And another... "I'm being followed by a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow. Sleeping and walking on a moonshadow..."

Thank you Jebus in Heaven for the Pistols, Clash, Rats, Buzzcocks, Undertones, Ramones, Blondie, Costello, Skids, Kennedys, Ruts, Wreckless Eric, Stranglers, and all the others who gobbed, thrashed, 1-2-3-4'd, shouted and pogoed so an entire generation would be spared cheesecloth shirt wearing peace sign giving bearded whingers and their play-in-a-day accoustic guitar accompaniments.

lopez
24/09/2004, 12:39 PM
Up at eight
You can't be late
for Matthew & Son,
He won't wait

(cue Streets of SanFrancisco style trumpets!)

There's one that will stick in your head all day lopez!Don't remember this one but that moonshadow sh*te has scarred me for life. Certainly agree about the pistols, etc. GG.

Islam is the best thing that happened to the music world. Let's not knock everything about it if it removed this eejit from the music scene...if not - sadly - his music.

Ruairi, let's just say I'm not feeling too grooooovvy to reading his songs again! :D

the 12 th man
24/09/2004, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=lopez]Don't remember this one /QUOTE]

the chorus was

matthew and son,
their work never done,
there's alway something neeeeeeeeeeew.

i've been working all day,all day,all day

course you remember it now ;)

green goblin
24/09/2004, 12:46 PM
Ronan Keating's doing a duet with him a Christmas, tipped to be number 1 in the UK. :confused: Can it possibly get any worse..?

Dricky
24/09/2004, 1:18 PM
Those song are terror in verse no wonder they won't let him in feckin hippy

lopez
24/09/2004, 2:14 PM
[QUOTE=lopez]Don't remember this one /QUOTE]

the chorus was

matthew and son,
their work never done,
there's alway something neeeeeeeeeeew.

i've been working all day,all day,all day

course you remember it now ;)Oh f*ck! I do now. I always thought he wrote/sung/slaughtered that 'Good Morning Starshine' cojones but he's not guilty of that one. 'Gliddy glub gloopy nibby nabby noopy/ La la la lo lo/Sabba sibby sabba nooby abba nabba/ Le le lo lo/Tooby ooby walla nooby abba naba/ Early morning singing song.' :rolleyes:

green goblin
24/09/2004, 2:21 PM
Perhaps they won't let him into Good Ol' Uncle U.S. of Stateside on the basis on his recent "Now that's what I call H-Block" e.p.? The duet with Dolly Parton on "Men on the blanket/Blanket on the Ground" (Medley) is quite startling... Oh hang on, I'm still having a bad dream. I thought we were still all talking about Cat Stevens for some reason.
Oh. We are. :o I thought it was one of those parallel universe set ups, like on 'Sliders', but with hippies.
I need a holiday. :(

sylvo
24/09/2004, 2:38 PM
Oh f*ck! I do now. I always thought he wrote/sung/slaughtered that 'Good Morning Starshine' cojones but he's not guilty of that one. 'Gliddy glub gloopy nibby nabby noopy/ La la la lo lo/Sabba sibby sabba nooby abba nabba/ Le le lo lo/Tooby ooby walla nooby abba naba/ Early morning singing song.' :rolleyes:

Nah that was from a musical called hair, in it everyone lay's around and smoke's crack cocaine, I think it was based in Tottenham high road.

green goblin
24/09/2004, 2:43 PM
This is the dawning of the age of aquarius! :eek:

green goblin
24/09/2004, 2:47 PM
Right, I've had enough. I'm going home to play DESTROY ALL HIPPIES by primal Scream really loudly and try to get the hairy cheeked drink free monotheist out of my head once and for all. I suggest you do likewise. It is madness to continue this thread.

sylvo
24/09/2004, 9:30 PM
Right, I've had enough. I'm going home to play DESTROY ALL HIPPIES by primal Scream really loudly and try to get the hairy cheeked drink free monotheist out of my head once and for all. I suggest you do likewise. It is madness to continue this thread.

But GG ''all we are saying is give peace a chance''. ;)

Éanna
24/09/2004, 11:24 PM
he must be a terrorist. look at his name. aren't all arabs terrorists? Or is that just US government policy :rolleyes:

Duncan Gardner
25/09/2004, 11:14 AM
Actually he's half Greek Cypriot and half Swedish. Ye'll be accusing him next of supporting compulsory eugenics, or whatever it is the Svens used to get up to :confused:

lopez
25/09/2004, 12:02 PM
Actually he's half Greek Cypriot and half Swedish. Ye'll be accusing him next of supporting compulsory eugenics, or whatever it is the Svens used to get up to :confused:I thought it was compulsory cunnilingus. :eek: Speaking of Swedes, anyone see the fruitcake formerly known as Agnetha Faltskog the other night? :(

green goblin
27/09/2004, 8:07 AM
I thought it was compulsory cunnilingus. :eek: Speaking of Swedes, anyone see the fruitcake formerly known as Agnetha Faltskog the other night? :(

If the opurtunity ever arises, look up 'Aer Lingus' in the Viz profanisaurus.

Agnetha: Yeah, but you still would. ;)