PDA

View Full Version : FAO Premier Fans Question Re Pubs

Pages : [1] 2

Lim till i die
30/01/2013, 1:31 AM
I know its not even Febuary but humour me.

What's the story with away supporters in the Premier?? Like in the First Division no one cares there's a match on so you can more or less saunter around as you please.

I know the following are the finest:

Cork City - Horseshoe
Bray - Wherever
Shels - Never had a bother in Fagans but not allowed in bar in Tolka

And I know the following are not good:

Bohs - Doyles
Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around??
Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there.

But what's the story with??

Drogheda - That pub outside the entrance to the ground
Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel
Pats - That pub outside the ground
Sligo - Haven't a clue, haven't been in ten years
UCD - Nothing for miles

For our own part there's talk that the Shannon Clubhouse could be open for away fans which is actually in the grounds of Thomond Park. After that there's one pub about 500 yards away in Thomondgate and nothing much else for about a mile in any direction.

It'd be nice if people didn't recommend places that weren't actually ok as well. Sure you might want me to get my head kicked in but bear in mind I travel with my da who's both 62 and a gentleman.

Charlie Darwin
30/01/2013, 1:59 AM
Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around??
There are a few pubs within a 5-10 minute walk. The Abberley is decent. Molloy's too but that's a Rovers pub.

edit: well the Abberley is too but not as much

bullit
30/01/2013, 2:25 AM
[QUOTE=Lim till i die;1658582] I know its not even Febuary but humour me.

What's the story with away supporters in the Premier?? Like in the First Division no one cares there's a match on so you can more or less saunter around as you please.

I know the following are the finest: ...

Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel....]

Garda and DFC Security do a risk assessment and make up minds on the day,based on;away attendance,distance traveled and other factors.Guess it depends on the Garda Super in Charge on the night.
PatsSligo,GalwayCork, Cliftonville(Setanta cup) have been addmitted without trouble but Waterford were kept out in the play off and i think Cork in the leauge too.(no blame on the fans on either night,Garda decision)

Just down the road from Oriel Park(Opp The train station) there is a very good pub called Kennedys which is 100% away side friendly and a lovely pub (see Brian Kennedys book)

El-Pietro
30/01/2013, 5:31 AM
I know its not even Febuary but humour me.

I know the following are the finest:

Cork City - Horseshoe

The Horseshoe is an absolute ****hole.

I'd have recommended the Turners Cross Tavern or the Evergreen, but one closed and the other is in trouble, though I expect both to be open again by the time the season starts.

Beergarden is better than the Horseshoe but not as good as the above mentioned.

adamd164
30/01/2013, 6:53 AM
Always liked McDowell's (Inchicore), though it's falling into disrepair at this stage. I've never had any problems with Doyle's Corner in Phibsboro, they don't mind away fans heading in and having a singsong (though I wasn't there at all last season so I dunno has this changed?)

When Galway were around, I liked going to Fox's in Eyre Square before a game. Terryland itself doesn't have any pubs nearby but the Galway fans used to throw on socials in Fox's.

In Bray, there's that hotel near the ground. Gets you out of the inevitable wind and cold!

Problem with UCD now is that the bars on campus are both closed, there's talk of one of them re-opening but I've not heard anything about it recently. As a student there I'd recommend going to Ashton's on Clonskeagh Road if you're looking for somewhere before a game. You can cut into campus and walk to Belfield Bowl in about 5/10 mins from there. Google map it beforehand. But you'll obviously not find home fans anywhere!

My least favourite trip is Shels, Drumcondra is an absolute dump - I hate the ground, the home fans and the pubs!

Longfordian
30/01/2013, 7:50 AM
The Montrose Hotel is handy for UCD. The Hibernia (?) beside the Carlisle Grounds was grand last time I was there. No bother in the pub beside United Park either. This was a while ago though *sobs*.

brendy_éire
30/01/2013, 7:55 AM
Should you manage to arrive in Derry in a fit state, the Derry City social club on Crawford Square is your best bet. You'll definitely be welcomed there and it has the cheapest pints in town.
It's about a 10 minute walk from the Brandywell, but there's a shuttle bus on match days (or 3 quid in a taxi).

As for Sligo, O'Neill's across the street from the Showgrounds is where you'll be.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
30/01/2013, 8:04 AM
Should you manage to arrive in Derry in a fit state, the Derry City social club on Crawford Square is your best bet. You'll definitely be welcomed there and it has the cheapest pints in town.
It's about a 10 minute walk from the Brandywell, but there's a shuttle bus on match days (or 3 quid in a taxi).

As for Sligo, O'Neill's across the street from the Showgrounds is where you'll be.

Mooneys is the pub across from the Showgrounds (unless they've changed the name and I haven't noticed!)

peadar1987
30/01/2013, 8:05 AM
The Hibo just across the DART line from the turnstiles is your best bet in Bray. Either that, or the Harbour Bar at the other end of the ground. Never actually been in there on a football night, but saw some Drogheda fans spilling out about 5 hours before kick-off once who looked like they'd been having a great time!

El-Pietro
30/01/2013, 8:22 AM
For Shels we generally drink in Kennedys as we've been turned away from Fagans on occasion. We don't bother them with our custom anymore.
Drogs, Mother Hughes is where I've been on my times up there. Been a few years now.

pineapple stu
30/01/2013, 8:27 AM
The Montrose Hotel is handy for UCD.
Closed years ago (early 2010). Same with Lonnegans. Clonskeagh or even Donnybrook is the nearest to go for a pint now, annoyingly.

Spudulika
30/01/2013, 9:01 AM
The Goat in Goatstown is a decent spot for UCD - but a drive to the college.

In Tallaght I'd recommend the Plaza, just across from the ground and the food on offer is usually good.

Doyle's in Phibsboro has a nice pint and (ElP?) Kennedy's is a good spot for Tolka. Though last time I was in there was someone selling paintings!

BonnieShels
30/01/2013, 9:01 AM
For Shels we generally drink in Kennedys as we've been turned away from Fagans on occasion. We don't bother them with our custom anymore.
Drogs, Mother Hughes is where I've been on my times up there. Been a few years now.

I only would drink in Kennedys. Far superior boozer.
That's were I head for my all to rare pre-game pints.

BonnieShels
30/01/2013, 9:03 AM
The Hibo just across the DART line from the turnstiles is your best bet in Bray. Either that, or the Harbour Bar at the other end of the ground. Never actually been in there on a football night, but saw some Drogheda fans spilling out about 5 hours before kick-off once who looked like they'd been having a great time!

The Harbour Bar is a whopper spot. One of the greatest pubs on the planet without any word of hyperbole. Supoib.

Longfordian
30/01/2013, 9:12 AM
Closed years ago (early 2010). Same with Lonnegans. Clonskeagh or even Donnybrook is the nearest to go for a pint now, annoyingly.

Oh right. I said it had been a while!

Dodge
30/01/2013, 9:56 AM
I've put my comments in brackets. Generally I've never had any trouble in pubs near grounds.

Cork City - Horseshoe (yeah handiest. Kip but you're only there a short while)
Bray - Wherever (Katie Hannigans or the Hibernian are the nearest two - on the sea front - both grand).
Shels - Never had a bother in Fagans but not allowed in bar in Tolka (Fagans is pretty standard)

Bohs - Doyles (Doyle's is grand. Never any Bohs fans there. The Hut beside it is OK too)
Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around?? (Not really. I've drank in the maldron in my Pats jersey so it'll be ok for you to hvae 1/2 there IMO. Sit in the lobby to avoid the crowds)
Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there. (Me too. Depending in the time you get there, the bluebell and that little brandywell bar on the crner can do a job. Neither great but if you've only half an hour why go elsewhere? Derry fans will invite you into their social club)

Drogheda - That pub outside the entrance to the ground (Grand, no bother)
Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel (Dodgy as hell in my experience - pub across the road from the Train station is grand)
Pats - That pub outside the ground (McDowells. Away fans welcome. You'll have no bother in any of the Inchicore pubs if you're not loud)
Sligo - Haven't a clue, haven't been in ten years (Mooney's, just up the hill from the ground. Grand, no trouble)
UCD - Nothing for miles (Goat is neearest unless you can get into the Student bar if it re-opens).

Dillonman
30/01/2013, 10:01 AM
I've put my comments in brackets. Generally I've never had any trouble in pubs near grounds.

Cork City - Horseshoe (yeah handiest. Kip but you're only there a short while)
Bray - Wherever (Katie Hannigans or the Hibernian are the nearest two - on the sea front - both grand).
Shels - Never had a bother in Fagans but not allowed in bar in Tolka (Fagans is pretty standard)

Bohs - Doyles (Doyle's is grand. Never any Bohs fans there. The Hut beside it is OK too)
Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around?? (Not really. I've drank in the maldron in my Pats jersey so it'll be ok for you to hvae 1/2 there IMO. Sit in the lobby to avoid the crowds)
Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there. (Me too. Depending in the time you get there, the bluebell and that little brandywell bar on the crner can do a job. Neither great but if you've only half an hour why go elsewhere? Derry fans will invite you into their social club)

Drogheda - That pub outside the entrance to the ground (Grand, no bother)
Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel (Dodgy as hell in my experience - pub across the road from the Train station is grand)
Pats - That pub outside the ground (McDowells. Away fans welcome. You'll have no bother in any of the Inchicore pubs if you're not loud)
Sligo - Haven't a clue, haven't been in ten years (Mooney's, just up the hill from the ground. Grand, no trouble)
UCD - Nothing for miles (Goat is neearest unless you can get into the Student bar if it re-opens).

Im sure it is seen as though its run by the club and theres ample security personel in it. Ye also dont get in that often.

Regarding Shels, Most DFC fans go to the Cat in the Cage before Tolka matches.

pineapple stu
30/01/2013, 10:19 AM
Long's in Donnybrook is half the distance btw. Just go out the campus exit right beside the ground (out turnstiles, turn left) rather than heading for the main entrance. (That's if you're on foot, of course; if you're in the car, the extra mile doesn't really make a huge difference and the nearest pub probably depends on what gates are open anyway)

Dodge
30/01/2013, 10:19 AM
Im sure it is seen as though its run by the club and theres ample security personel in it. Ye also dont get in that often.

Been in it 3 times. Didn't enjoy any of them. Dundalk fans clearly love it, and thats the way it should be. As an outsider I didn't feel comfortable, and thats what LTID is asking for. I'll grant you there was a huge security presence there the last time, but tbh that doesn't help my comfort levels

brendy_éire
30/01/2013, 11:41 AM
Mooneys is the pub across from the Showgrounds (unless they've changed the name and I haven't noticed!)

You're right, Mooneys.
Is O'Neill's actually the one on down the street towards the town?

El-Pietro
30/01/2013, 12:25 PM
What about pubs near Thomond Park? Where are we gonna drink for the first game of the season?

Mr A
30/01/2013, 12:30 PM
What about pubs near Thomond Park? Where are we gonna drink for the first game of the season?

Hopefully one of the Limerick lads will take a stab at this.

Jofspring
30/01/2013, 12:32 PM
There is a newly renovated pub down the road called Fitzpatricks (formerly quiltys pub). It's hard to know whether Shannon or Bohs will open up for the matches as they would need to be guaranteed a big crowd in drinking to be worth their while. The next nearest pubs are either down into thomondgate which ye wouldn't be going down to and the ardhu bar on the Ennis road ( usually takes me 15 minutes to walk from their) which is probably the nicest and biggest pub in the area.

El-Pietro
30/01/2013, 1:03 PM
So you'd expect them to open for us then?

Charlie Darwin
30/01/2013, 1:19 PM
There is a newly renovated pub down the road called Fitzpatricks (formerly quiltys pub). It's hard to know whether Shannon or Bohs will open up for the matches as they would need to be guaranteed a big crowd in drinking to be worth their while. The next nearest pubs are either down into thomondgate which ye wouldn't be going down to and the ardhu bar on the Ennis road ( usually takes me 15 minutes to walk from their) which is probably the nicest and biggest pub in the area.
If they're not going to open up on a Friday night, when are they open?

Jofspring
30/01/2013, 1:28 PM
They're only open on match days for either club, Munster matches and for private parties. Other than that they're closed. Even when Shannon play Bohs, whoever is down as the home team opens and the other stays closed.

I wouldn't hold my breath on them opening.

Patrick Dunne
30/01/2013, 3:14 PM
I can't see them being too welcoming to the LOI brigade !

"Guys, stop throwing bananas"

NeverFeltBetter
30/01/2013, 4:24 PM
The Ardhu is lovely if you don't mind the walk. I've always associated it more with GAA days myself, but its big and welcoming for crowds.

PartySaint
30/01/2013, 5:06 PM
In Inchicore you either have McDowells or Taveys that would be best on match nights. No problem with away fans in either so you will be grand

My own experiences:
Bohs: Doyles is where I usually go, tends to be more Pats fans thatn Bohs in there so it's alright

Bray: We are usually coming from the town so we stop off in one of the 2 smallish pus on that little strip on the way down to the ground. Never many people in them so never any problems

Cork: If we are staying overnight we go to the Turners Cross Tavern, if we are just down for the game then the horseshoe, both ok. Usually have at least someone coming up to us telling us how much they hate Dubs, you will probably get the same being from Limerick

Derry: I either go to the same one on the corner again usually full with Pats fans or the one just down the road past the chipper which is a nice spot and the locals are usually very friendly

Drogheda: the one beside the ground is grand, never any bother

Dundalk: Also go to the one just down the road from Oriel heading back towards the town. Also found the staff there very welcoming

Shamrock: Maldron is crap and I wouldn't bother with the other pubs around Tallaght. I only live a 10 minute drive away so usually just drink in my own local and get a taxi up for about €10. Maldron probably your best bet tho

Shels: Kennedys, never any problems and close to the ground

Sligo: Mooneys is a god spot. Sligo fans are a nice bunch and usually a good bit of craic in there before games

UCD: Bit of a nightmare now that the 2 student bars are gone. Have gone down to Ashtons a few times but a good bit away from the ground

Nesta99
31/01/2013, 1:34 PM

Maybe that should read Dodge's hell! I wouldnt like to walk in to a pub and see some of those around either but as a football club bar the Lilywhite is fine, little trouble that i have ever seen. Like most fans people just want to meet fellow LoI supporters for a chat. Bit of food well cocktail sausages and chips was often layed on for those travelling a distance though havent seen that recently. Derry lads often stopped off on the way home which not so long ago was our only premier division contact. Kennedys is for sure a nice bar and first stop on the way to lilywhite.

Aaron
31/01/2013, 3:29 PM

Or alternatively you can go to Maileys on the Lecky Rd, about 1 minutes walk from the ground. Alot of Derry fans gather here (including myself) before all home games

White Horse
31/01/2013, 6:03 PM
I've found decent options for all away games except those in Tallaght.

Safer to get in out of that place quickly.

UCD might me an issue now that the student bars are closed.

fieldofmarkets
31/01/2013, 11:26 PM
Pubs next to Thomond are few and far between. Most away fans and many home too will probably just walk from the city centre before and after so take your pick there. 20 min walk from centre to ground. A very popular one though on Munster matchdays is The Curragower. Its on the north side of the river so about as close as it gets (15 min walk) and en route from town. Good food and has a nice terrace overlooking the river and the castle. Plenty of room outside too for the summer sun. Nice pub. Would expect no problem for away fans but it will be new territory for the pub I suppose.

bullit
01/02/2013, 2:10 AM

Regarding Shels, Most DFC fans go to the Cat in the Cage before Tolka matches.
The Cat 'n Cage is a must stop for any Dundalk supporter going to Tolka.The regs in there never blink an eye,something that i like.How do Dublin people rate the pub?

Outside of our clubhouse and Kennedys i would also go with The Windsor(same managment as Kennedys and not far from the ground) Jimmys in Park street(Owned by a DFC supporter) and The Phoneeix also in Park street(another good DFC Fan owned bar) and Ridleys bar,which is former DFC' players Barry Kehoe' familys pub
and niteclub .

Welcome to Fundalk ;)

srfc1928
01/02/2013, 9:34 AM
You're right, Mooneys.
Is O'Neill's actually the one on down the street towards the town?
Ya Mooneys is across the road and O'Neills is at the bottom of the hill on the way up to the ground.

Straightstory
01/02/2013, 9:40 AM
Mother Hughes is the one to go to in Drogheda. About five minutes walk from United Park down the Windmill Road. Always a great atmosphere.

BonnieShels
01/02/2013, 12:06 PM
The Cat 'n Cage is a must stop for any Dundalk supporter going to Tolka.The regs in there never blink an eye,something that i like.How do Dublin people rate the pub?

Even as a Dublin GAA and Shels man and a former resident of Drumcondra I never darkened it's door. Kennedy's is quality. It seems like a trek due to that. I may darken it's door when ye come down this year though.

Macy
01/02/2013, 3:07 PM
It's been a while, but still a few thoughts...

Pats - I wouldn't go anywhere else but McDowells. My favourite (none Longford) LoI pub of all time - been in pre match, post match, win and lose.

Bohs - Never had an issue in Doyles, but more often than not have ended up having pints in their bar without issue.

Bray - Hibernian would be the standard spot, but before that was established I've had a few sessions in Katie Gallaghers without any bother (iirc had food a couple of times there which was ok). I think we had a few post match sessions in the bar in the station too, when I used to be in Dublin - last dart back into Town.

Shels - Normally end up in Fagan's. Normally would be ok, even if some the clientele aren't the mae west and the irritation of holding back giving them abuse tempers the night...

Mr A
01/02/2013, 3:27 PM
Shels - Normally end up in Fagan's. Normally would be ok, even if some the clientele aren't the mae west and the irritation of holding back giving them abuse tempers the night...

You're not joking there. I met Bertie Ahern in there once!

BonnieShels
01/02/2013, 4:21 PM
You're not joking there. I met Bertie Ahern in there once!

I once had the pleasure of watching the drunken lecherous ***** **** ********** ***** ****** ****** ***** ***** and then picked *** ****** ***** ******* *** **** with a banana.

Longfordian
01/02/2013, 4:24 PM
Ollie Byrne used to be in there too.

Martinho II
01/02/2013, 5:16 PM
I remember in the same pub ie Fagans with Bertie Ahern in it. Cant rem the yr- must be the early 00s

adamd164
01/02/2013, 9:42 PM
Good reason to never set foot in the place.

redarmyfaction
02/02/2013, 10:23 AM
We always go to The Cat and Cage in Drumcondra, I remember being told regulars only at the door of Fagans years ago after a match, never went near it again.

El-Pietro
03/02/2013, 5:59 AM
We always go to The Cat and Cage in Drumcondra, I remember being told regulars only at the door of Fagans years ago after a match, never went near it again.

same with City. wouldn't bother them with my custom now.

horton
03/02/2013, 8:48 AM
Or alternatively you can go to Maileys on the Lecky Rd, about 1 minutes walk from the ground. Alot of Derry fans gather here (including myself) before all home games
I've never step foot in the place, but would the Bogside Inn be friendly enough for away fans now that it's reopened?

sheao
03/02/2013, 6:59 PM

Remember a load of us were inside the cat and cage on the night we won the first division title in 2011.

mypost
03/02/2013, 8:07 PM
Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there. (Me too. Depending in the time you get there, the bluebell and that little brandywell bar on the crner can do a job. Neither great but if you've only half an hour why go elsewhere?

The Scarna Inn is a great pub, and welcomes away fans going to/from Derry. The main issue here however, is that it's not in Derry at all, but in Emyvale, Co. Monaghan, and is the last pub before/first pub after crossing the border. But it's handy if you can only pay your bill in Euro.

Aaron
03/02/2013, 8:09 PM
I've never step foot in the place, but would the Bogside Inn be friendly enough for away fans now that it's reopened?

Not too sure tbh, Maileys isnt a bad bar. Nice open fire, bottles of bud and carlsberg only £1.50

sligoman
03/02/2013, 8:14 PM
Nice open fire, bottles of bud only £1.50That's about £1.50 too much.