PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany 12th October & Faroe Islands 16th October 2012 - World Cup 2014 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

the bear
10/10/2012, 9:35 PM
Boateng/Howedes then. If the score is 0-0 I don't believe you should be concerned about our attacking options. Defending and possession will be the key, only way we'll score is from a set piece. Coleman would be a poor option in any possession for the game in question. Long or Walters up front wouldn't make much sense with the twin towers Badstuber and Mertesacker, we'll have no joy from the air they'd mop up route ones all night long. Mertesacker in particular is clumsy with the ball at feet, Keane's the best of our strikers at exploiting that.

It's nowhere near as intimidating a defence without Hummels and Lahm though.

Long is the best choice up top for me fast strong good in the air. Keane would be a lot easier to mark. Mertesacker is a bit of a donkey. We will miss St Ledger for attacking set pieces

mark12345
10/10/2012, 11:33 PM
Long is the best choice up top for me fast strong good in the air. Keane would be a lot easier to mark. Mertesacker is a bit of a donkey. We will miss St Ledger for attacking set pieces

All that aside. Anyone know what TV channel is showing the game in the USA?

mark12345
10/10/2012, 11:36 PM

Long is the only choice. Sorry to say it but Robbie doesn't have it as an attacker any longer, not at this level. And to put him in as a lone attacker is just a joke.

NeverFeltBetter
10/10/2012, 11:59 PM
I think Keane still has something to offer, but he's wasted as a lone target man for hoofball tactics.

Crosby87
11/10/2012, 12:37 AM

Mark were you the one claiming last time that GOL would show all the Ireland matches for this campaign in the US? ;)

Only problem is, as far as I can tell, it is not available in hi-def.

Edit: To any of my fellow working Irish here who could possibly avoid the match results, since they may have to, you know, stay at work later than 245, GOL is re airing it at 11 PM. I know, stupid. But I am just saying.

strangeirish
11/10/2012, 2:18 AM
GOL TV, coverage starts at 2.30pm Eastern Time.

jbyrne
11/10/2012, 7:25 AM
If we are to start with a three-man midfield then why are we telling the opposition about it days in advance? Why not let the Germans persist in thinking they will be facing the usual dysfunctional long-ball 4-4-2 for a few days longer? Trap could easily say nothing, or say Fahey will be on the wing with Cox and Keane up front as a 4-4-2 and then spring a surprise when we kick off. Why play into the hands of this already strong opposition? (I wouldn't have either Cox or Keane in the starting 11, but that's beside the point.)

what does it matter when they find out? teams change formations all the time during matches. the germans will have a plan for 442, 433, 4231, a plan for them going down to 10 men, us going down to 10 men etc etc. It makes no difference really as they will just seemlessly adapt at whatever stage our secret tactics are thrown at them

DannyInvincible
11/10/2012, 7:35 AM
what does it matter when they find out? teams change formations all the time during matches. the germans will have a plan for 442, 433, 4231, a plan for them going down to 10 men, us going down to 10 men etc etc. It makes no difference really as they will just seemlessly adapt at whatever stage our secret tactics are thrown at them

It surely can't be of any help to us and can only be of assistance to them. Better they have to take a while to adapt than know our game-plan right from the outset, surely? What is the rationale behind making line-ups and game-plans public days in advance? Who does it serve to benefit, besides the opposition? And curious fans with a predisposition to moaning about it on forums, of course. :)

ifk101
11/10/2012, 8:10 AM
It surely can't be of any help to us and can only be of assistance to them.

It depends on individual interpretation. Trapattoni could easily argue (in Italian) that it is of help to us.

p2011
11/10/2012, 8:17 AM
what does it matter when they find out?

It might encourage them to pick big defenders who aren't great on the ground. Loads of reasons to spring a surprise.

And if the Germans will be able 'seamlessly adapt', then surely that's the sort of preparation we should have too.

jbyrne
11/10/2012, 8:56 AM
It might encourage them to pick big defenders who aren't great on the ground. Loads of reasons to spring a surprise.

And if the Germans will be able 'seamlessly adapt', then surely that's the sort of preparation we should have too.

not too many surprises that we could spring on them that would affect their selection really. in fact id say their attitude is to select a team they want and let us worry about their formation rather than the other way. it is Germany after all

paul_oshea
11/10/2012, 9:37 AM

It wont make them change anything. THey are playing Ireland at the end of the day, they arent going to worry about someone like robbie keane playing in the MLS or shane long playing for some mid-table premiership team.

geysir
11/10/2012, 10:32 AM
FFS, it's only Germany we are playing, not Spain or Brazil.
They're dismal Euro 2012 failures, overhyped and beatable. We only tick 2 of those boxes.

Murfinator
11/10/2012, 10:52 AM
Robbie gone too, none of our "big 4" on the pitch against probably the 2nd best team on the planet right now. I'd be fearful.

DannyInvincible
11/10/2012, 10:57 AM
More here from RTÉ: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/1011/341216-keane-to-miss-germany-match/

He has to undergo treatment for an Achilles injury.

Robbie Keane has been ruled out of Friday's World Cup qualifier against Germany.

It is understood the LA Galaxy striker will undergo treatment for an Achilles injury.

He is expected to be fit to face Faroe Islands.

In Keane's absence, Jonathan Walters may fill the lone striker role against the Germans.

jbyrne
11/10/2012, 11:01 AM
Robbie gone too, none of our "big 4" on the pitch against probably the 2nd best team on the planet right now. I'd be fearful.

i'm a big robbie fan but he is not suited to playing up front on his own. may be a blessing in disguise in this case.

maybe with all the injuries we have the patched up team might get similar great support from the crowd as per the czech republic match circumstances in 2006. those fans intent on turning up Friday to moan about the team and manager might actually now be sympathetic and actually get behind the team big-time

Fixer82
11/10/2012, 11:10 AM
i'm a big robbie fan but he is not suited to playing up front on his own. may be a blessing in disguise in this case.

I think you may be right. Robbie is undroppable according to Trap so I think it will (hopefully) give Long a proper chance to prove his worth.
Again though, Long can't do much if he's not getting any service

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2012, 11:12 AM
I hate to say it but Keane cannot play the lone striker role as JByrne says and we will be a better team and carry a greater threat if Long starts as the lone striker (which is not a given). In fact the injuries are forcing Trapatonni to make some of the changes that needed to be made.

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2012, 11:25 AM
Hearing Walters has got the nod with Cox on the wing. What didn't work against Kazakhstan is now going to work against the Germans? Bizarre if true.

Closed Account
11/10/2012, 11:30 AM
Team looks like
Westwood
Kelly
O'Shea
O'Dea
Ward
Cox
Andrews
McCarthy
Fahey
McGeady
Walters

Looks like a B team

boovidge
11/10/2012, 11:44 AM
It's going to be a massacre

hunt4the
11/10/2012, 11:52 AM
our b team and long cant get on it!!
i fear a twitter blast

bwagner
11/10/2012, 11:54 AM
Lads its going to be a nightmare
this is what Trap gets for not properly trying out the younger/fringe players and new formations
I really am pooing my nappy now

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2012, 12:17 PM
Anyone want to buy 42000 spare tickets...

El-Pietro
11/10/2012, 12:18 PM

maybe with all the injuries we have the patched up team might get similar great support from the crowd as per the czech republic match circumstances in 2006. those fans intent on turning up Friday to moan about the team and manager might actually now be sympathetic and actually get behind the team big-time
what about those of us with zero expectations who are looking forward to see some of the best footballers in the world play and maybe see the legend that is Miroslav Klose play one last time! I can't be the only one, won't be moaning about the Irish performance, its an impossible situation. Anything beyond a hammering will be a bonus.

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2012, 12:19 PM
Except we'd like to see these 'best footballers in the world' be given a bit of a game...

jbyrne
11/10/2012, 12:22 PM
Lads its going to be a nightmare
this is what Trap gets for not properly trying out the younger/fringe players and new formations
I really am pooing my nappy now

all of those players have had enough game time under trap.

given that the enforced absence of whelan and keane have led to a player, walters, who can actually play up front on his own and another player who has a bit of pace and passing ability, mccarthy, starting i am actually happier now than i was a week ago about this match. still a massive ask though

Murfinator
11/10/2012, 12:23 PM

Who said he was? Tardelli spoke about the system being 4-3-3 rather than 4-5-1. And like I said before the two german centre backs who'll be playing are tall awkward lads who are dominant in the air. Long is a very poor player when he can't compete aerially, as is Walters. Keane being out will please the Germans, a tricky ground player is exactly what they didn't want with Hummels out.

Olé Olé
11/10/2012, 12:23 PM
Has it not always been a characteristic of Trap's selection policy in relation to strikers that certain players are too similar to play beside eachother; namely, Keane and Long. If he starts Walters then that policy is gone out the window. Best of luck to Walters, but I don't fancy him as a lone striker either. He won't cause many problems to Germany. Long, on the other hand, is well capable of making a nuisance of himself and running the channels, being on the shoulder of the last defender.

We're going to be relying on O'Shea and Andrews for leadership, big time.

Murfinator
11/10/2012, 12:28 PM
Team looks like
Westwood
Kelly
O'Shea
O'Dea
Ward
Cox
Andrews
McCarthy
Fahey
McGeady
Walters

Looks like a B team

3 months ago I never imagined our side would be degraded to looking this weak on paper. It's the right formation and decently balanced but christ there's absolutely no experience anywhere across the pitch here. Don't think it's the good kind of youthful "nothing to fear" lack of experience either, it's filled with fragile players low in confidence. If we concede early its time to hide behind the couch because Germany aren't a side that'll let up.

Fixer82
11/10/2012, 12:30 PM
I think Walters will do as good a job as possible as one striker. He is well able to hold the ball up and wait for others to arrive. i'd rather have Long on beside someone like Walters rather than on his own so maybe it's a wise move. Cox on the wing though.....he's a striker.
What wingers have we got on the bench?

back of the net
11/10/2012, 12:38 PM
If there was ever a game where the crowd were needed as a 12th man ....then this is it

Will be our of greatest results of the last 25 years if we can pull this off

paul_oshea
11/10/2012, 12:41 PM
Mschane what a donkey, or a blessing in disguise?

He cant play walters up top now, without anyone coming off him.

This will be a second string side now. Be interesting what Trap does, with limited options.

dong
11/10/2012, 12:58 PM
Shane Long's treatment under Trap is nothing short of a disgrace. It will be unforgivable if he doesn't start him tomorrow.

TrapAPony
11/10/2012, 1:07 PM
Shane Long's treatment under Trap is nothing short of a disgrace. It will be unforgivable if he doesn't start him tomorrow.
Walters will play

Duggie
11/10/2012, 1:12 PM
Walters will play

i wish he wouldnt, shane long is ten times the player. he has pace to burn is brilliant in the air and is a good finisher. walters has no real composure in front of goal. who is going to score for us if hes roughing up the defence. worst case scenario put long on the right wing, if cox plays we can forget it.

the bear
11/10/2012, 1:13 PM
Walters will play

Long and Walters are the most suitable for the lone front man role. I would go with Long but there is a lot to be said for springing him off the bench for the last 30mins when the Germans are tired. Is Brady the next winger in line to come off the bench?

peadar1987
11/10/2012, 1:14 PM
Walters will run until his testicles fall off and cause a real physical problem for the defence. When they're tired, Long can come on with fresh legs and tear them to pieces. That's how Johnny is used at Stoke, at least.

peadar1987
11/10/2012, 1:20 PM
Long and Walters are the most suitable for the lone front man role. I would go with Long but there is a lot to be said for springing him off the bench for the last 30mins when the Germans are tired. Is Brady the next winger in line to come off the bench?

In before me! :)

the bear
11/10/2012, 1:21 PM
Walters will run until his testicles fall off and cause a real physical problem for the defence. When they're tired, Long can come on with fresh legs and tear them to pieces. That's how Johnny is used at Stoke, at least.

Johnny should provide good protection while also delivering maximum pleasure

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2012, 1:22 PM
We're not going to score regardless of who plays up top. Unless Trap dramatically changes his tactics. Or the Germans all share a gene with McShane & Ward.

Olé Olé
11/10/2012, 1:22 PM
I wish Trap, at this stage, would throw caution to the wind and stick Coleman in at RB, McClean on the wing and Long up front. Three young, lively and exciting Premier League players. Instead, we'll get Kelly, Cox and Walters causing less problems for Germany and whose to say they'll be any better defensively? They probably are physically stronger than the younger players, but keeping up with the 5'11" Reus and 5'9" Götze is more of the problem than out-muscling them.

Long's goalscoring record (.276) is also superior to Walters' (.083). Where are the goals going to come from, even if Trap is thinking that Walters will be a better provider? After Keane, Long's 8 goals put him well ahead of Fahey, Andrews at Cox who have 3 each. Scoring goals may not be the most pressing issue, keeping the Germans out will be.

I do rate Walters, he's caused good sides problems in the past (Chelsea, for instance) but I'd much rather see Shane Long's pace being employed against the less-than-nimble Mertesacker.

paul_oshea
11/10/2012, 1:39 PM
I think Trap sees Long as a perfect impact sub, leave the battering ram on from the start - walters - to tire himself and the german defence out (if that really works in this day and age with the fitness level of professional footballers is another question), then bang bring Long on, running the channels slipping inside the 2 central defenders and causing a nuisance. Its not a flawed logic, but I think Walters is very limited with no one to play alongside him, we saw this out in kazakhstan.

SwanVsDalton
11/10/2012, 1:40 PM
I wish Trap, at this stage, would throw caution to the wind and stick Coleman in at RB, McClean on the wing and Long up front.

McClean's injured.

I hope he starts Coleman at this point, seems he actually has a realistic chance of playing. Think the loss of Robbie will shade it in Kelly's favour (more experience).

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2012, 1:45 PM
Team announcement in about 10 minutes on RTÉ.ie and RTÉ News Now channel.

geysir
11/10/2012, 1:49 PM
Bated breath all round.

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2012, 1:54 PM
Really?

Fixer82
11/10/2012, 1:54 PM
I'd actually rather see Kelly take Ward's place at LB, as he's a better defender, and Coleman play RB.
i think Ward would be a better winger than LB. He's good going forward but can't defend very well

christo
11/10/2012, 1:59 PM
Team announcement in about 10 minutes on RTÉ.ie and RTÉ News Now channel.

Some exciting footage of a door going on...

That RTÉ New Now channel has disappeared on me...

Closed Account
11/10/2012, 1:59 PM
Starting XI v Germany - Westwood,
Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Ward,
McCarthy, Andrews, Fahey,
McGeady, Walters, Cox