PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany 12th October & Faroe Islands 16th October 2012 - World Cup 2014 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

p2011
13/10/2012, 12:05 PM
My "hysterics" are based on what I see "on the pitch".

If you are happy with the present set up and are blinded by the 2 playoffs, then you deserve what's coming.... We will have to agree to disagree.

Noelys Guitar
13/10/2012, 12:12 PM
Where is Delaney? No vote of confidence yet or any comment of any kind. I bet he wasn't out buying pints last night.

p2011
13/10/2012, 12:15 PM
You say we shouldn't concentrate on performances, but the results are muck too!

And I think it's defeatist to accept that Sweden and Austria would outplay this team:
Westwood
Kelly Dunne O'Shea Wilson
McCarthy Gibson
Brady Fahey McClean
Long

We are no worldbeaters, but competing with the likes of Sweden and Austria and not collapsing at home against 1st seeds should be the goal. We're failing this goal at the moment.

If things continue as they are, we won't be anywhere near 2nd and I wouldn't want us in Brazil anyway in our present disspirited and chaotic state. Pains me to say it.

shaneker
13/10/2012, 12:19 PM
Laughable post - stick to your man OR NOT!!! Lots on here declaring him as the messiah - ha ha. Muck football for the ole ole brigade:D

Informed and insightful, thanks a lot for your contribution.

NeverFeltBetter
13/10/2012, 12:28 PM
Trap has a press conference at 4 that RTE is streaming live.

TrapAPony
13/10/2012, 12:29 PM

Hope he steps down... but he will be too stubborn to do so

harry crumb
13/10/2012, 12:30 PM
I believe we have a very poor team and Trap is attempting to get the most out of a limited group. Focusing on performance is somewhat futile since the vast majority of teams have better skilled players than we do these days, they'll outplay us. Regardless of who's in charge its a given that both Sweden and Austria will outplay us, I don't like that but thats the situation we're in with the low caliber of players at our disposal. We'll have to scrap, cling on and take our luck when we get it if we're to get out of this group.

When a team is not encouraged to play how can we put up performances.

Think you are doing our players a disservice to call them limited. Lots of talented young players from where I'm looking. Others haven't even been tried.

On the FAI, they gave him a new contract at the end of the last campaign because they were satisfied with the job he was doing. They'll have looked upon qualifying for the Euro's as a bonus and not judged him on what happened there. Since then he got a respectable away draw with Serbia, an unimpressive away win with Kazakhstan and a hammering to the 2nd best team in the world. They're not going to be pressing panic buttons or u-turning their position because of those 3 results. Why would they? They'll have expected 6 points from the first 3 games and they'll probably get that.
Why would they be concerned? Russia did something similar to us early in the last campaign which we spared our blushes a little with some undeserved consolations but they were a much weaker side than Germany and we recovered from that. Business games are coming up later in the campaign, he'll as always be judged on those.

Handing out that contract was a big mistake. Trap was putting a lot of pressure on them to get is sorted before as I think he knew what was going to happen in Poland.

Maybe we would have never beaten Germany but to lose in the manner we did is worrying.

As for the FAI not panicking, are you living in a bubble?, majority of football people in Ireland are disillusioned.

SwanVsDalton
13/10/2012, 12:32 PM

Is there any indication this is anything other than a standard day-after-game presser?

Comic Book Guy
13/10/2012, 12:32 PM
Pains me to say it but its time for a change, but if trap goes then its also fair to say that Delaney has to go too. This defeat has been coming from a long way out. The slashing of our underage international budget is part of the reason that we are in such a state, while our CEO is on double his european counterparts.Remember the fai shafting Kerr in favour of stan?
whatever you say about the likes of kerr at least we would not have been humiliated like last might.

NeverFeltBetter
13/10/2012, 12:38 PM
Not that I can see, but presumably he'll be addressing some of what happened last night if people are interested.

Noelys Guitar
13/10/2012, 12:59 PM
Hope he steps down... but he will be too stubborn to do so
He looks like bluffing it out. And if you look back at all the comments from earlier this week (especially from Tardelli "we hope to be around for another 10 years") they are taking the **** out of the FAI. They want that pay off. Much as I dislike Delaney (he should be on his way out the door too) he should be playing hardball with these couple of chancers. There has to be grounds for sacking Trapatonni and his entourage and let them take it to court.

geysir
13/10/2012, 1:17 PM
Joachim Low
"the Sweden game will be very different for us next week. The Swedes are well capable of creating opportunities and they do not just play the long ball like the Irish"

geysir
13/10/2012, 1:22 PM
Here's a stat for TC

Ireland v Germany
total passes - 242
25% possession

Faroes v Sweden
total passes - 364
42% possession

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2012, 1:28 PM
Joachim Low
"the Sweden game will be very different for us next week. The Swedes are well capable of creating opportunities and they do not just play the long ball like the Irish"

Ouch....

Crosby87
13/10/2012, 1:39 PM
Why is he taking shots at us after a 6-1 win? Not very classy. And who would think that from a German?

Crosby87
13/10/2012, 1:42 PM
Apologies if this was already posted from this morning:
Trap says he is not worried about his job, and we can still go to Brasil.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/9606325/Giovanni-Trapattoni-Im-not-fighting-to-save-my-job-and-Republic-or-Ireland-can-still-qualify-despite-Germany-loss.html

pineapple stu
13/10/2012, 1:54 PM
Why is he taking shots at us after a 6-1 win? Not very classy. And who would think that from a German?
He was asked a question - possibly by a Swedish journalist - and gave an answer which talks down his side's excellent win. Nothing wrong with that.

geysir
13/10/2012, 1:55 PM
Apologies if this was already posted from this morning:
Trap says he is not worried about his job, and we can still go to Brasil.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/9606325/Giovanni-Trapattoni-Im-not-fighting-to-save-my-job-and-Republic-or-Ireland-can-still-qualify-despite-Germany-loss.html
The only light is that we don't have to worry about going to Brazil and turning up again at a major tournament with this brand of football. There is not an earthly chance of us qualifying for the play-offs ahead of Sweden or Austria.
What we have to worry about is keeping our noses ahead of the Faroes and Kazackhstan

Crosby87
13/10/2012, 2:08 PM
He was asked a question - possibly by a Swedish journalist - and gave an answer which talks down his side's excellent win. Nothing wrong with that.

Sweden has Journalists?

pineapple stu
13/10/2012, 2:11 PM
Yes, Europe is quite the civilised place these days.

jebus
13/10/2012, 2:22 PM
I supported Trap at the Euros, even when things went horribly wrong for us as I felt he deserved the chance to play whatever way he felt would get results for us. It didn't work out, but the man got us to a first tournament in 10 years, only one of three Irish managers to do so, and deserved and still deserves, respect from all of us for that.

That said I felt he should have left after the tournament and feel that even more so now. The way our squad was after the Euros I felt we needed to get a coach in for the next four years and not expect qualification for either the World Cup or European Championships in 2016. But get a coach in with the idea of him blooding in new players so that in four years time we could go out and see which manager would be available to try to take that matured side to the World Cup in 2018. Basically I wanted someone like Chris Hughton to get the job for 4 years to build a side that could be handed over to a top class manager to try to steer us to another tournament, in essence what Roy Hodgson is doing at England.

I think that needs to happen now more than anything. The confidence in the squad must be at a soul crushing low, we've been humiliated a few times in the last few months and I have big worries now about playing the Faroes. We're not out of qualification and it was always going to come down to us fighting with Sweden for second if we were to qualify, but it's looking increasingly likely that we're not up to even a challenge this time around

pineapple stu
13/10/2012, 2:29 PM
Just to put some perspective on the Austrians' draw in Kazakhstan, this report (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/news/newsid=1783868/index.html) indicates Austria were largely dominant and maybe a bit unlucky to come away with only a draw. Quite the contrast with our own miserable performance out there, in which we were lucky to win.

Drumcondra 69er
13/10/2012, 2:30 PM
Just to put some perspective on the Austrians' draw in Kazakhstan, this report (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/news/newsid=1783868/index.html) indicates Austria were largely dominant and maybe a bit unlucky to come away with only a draw. Quite the contrast with our own miserable performance out there, in which we were lucky to win.

I know what I'd prefer.

Spudulika
13/10/2012, 2:36 PM
I think that in all the meeja bluster one very important thing is conveniently overlooked, and was never more painfully so than in (the usually good) Emmett Malone's nonsensical article before Kazakhstan, I believe it was, and by the continued output from INM and the clown show that Bill leads. Supposedly there are FAR better players we can get in the sky leagues who Trap just doesn't know about because he doesn't attend matches there every week. I mean, Capello used to attend 2 a day, and look how great he did? I don't see the genii regurgitating this diatribe (last night again) showing pictures from Russia and England of Capello fast asleep in the exec box! Okay, so Russian Premier football is as bad as it's English counterpart, but even I have problems nodding off, I mean, it's not tennis!

We don't have young talent as anyone with it is prostituted off to English and Scottish clubs for the highest price as soon as is possible. The structures are not in place in Ireland to develop them and the national league (top senior pair) have been deliberately, in my view, run down as it's easier to keep them just alive than improve them.

The nonsense about "lack of communication" is crapped out on 2 levels - FAI and Trap/Marco. Now this is bojjox, at least the latter part. In fact, both are, anything leaked to the meeja is from disgruntled twits or those who don't have the ability to make the changes. The latter doesn't make sense as I know from past experience that instructions can be given and understood with language gaps (had that even this afternoon at courtside) and it doesn't take a genius to motivate players. These rifts and disputes - weren't the krauts all at each others throats , apparently!

Until Trap is gone and a new victim is installed, this will continue to be whipped up. One of the all time great coaches is being pulverised by pr spin merchants like Bill and the INM crew, even going unbeaten to the end of the group will only buy time. Until our players can play football and not resort to type and panic, we're going nowhere.

pineapple stu
13/10/2012, 2:37 PM
I know what I'd prefer.

The win obviously.

But continually poor performances will come home to roost. If we and Austria continue to play like we have done so far - and I haven't seen Austria's games obviously - they will finish ahead of us. And I know I'd prefer to finish ahead of them than behind them.

Noelys Guitar
13/10/2012, 2:46 PM
When the players don't want to play for you its over. There is no coming back. It goes back to the home defeat against Russia. He started blaming the players immediately after that game. Accepted no part of the blame himself. That was the beginning of the end. Listen to his comments after the game yesterday. Its lunacy stuff. "The result is okay, even if 6-1 sounds a bit high. We created many goalscoring opportunities and we converted the chances that we had.
"We are very glad. Germany hadn't won away in Ireland for a long time."

pineapple stu
13/10/2012, 2:56 PM
"We created many goalscoring opportunities and we converted the chances that we had."
Did he say that? That makes no sense. We converted all our many goalscoring chances, and only scored once?

Noelys Guitar
13/10/2012, 2:59 PM
Did he say that? That makes no sense. We converted all our many goalscoring chances, and only scored once?

Direct quote from the RTE site. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/1013/341514-giovanni-trapattoni-not-contemplating-the-sack/ bottom of the article.

Olé Olé
13/10/2012, 3:00 PM
I wish we'd stop putting these kind of results down to the selection of talent we have at our disposal.

Take a look at the Swedish squad. They had Alex Kačaniklić opening the scoring for them- a Fulham reserve who spent the back end of last season at Watford. A Watford which named Sean Murray (Irish under-21 international) as their young player of the year for last season.

Isaksson didn't make it in the Premier League, he's in goals. Lustig plays in the SPL. The two Olsson's have performed reasonably well in the Premier Leage at WBA and Blackburn, while Granqvist couldn't make it at Wigan and is in Serie A now, via a spell in Holland. In midfield, they have Sebastian Larsson who, while being excellent with dead balls, was overshone by the emergence of James McClean at Sunderland. Christian Wilhelmsson started on the other flank and hasn't played anywhere other than Saudi Arabia or the US in the last 4 years. He was poor for Bolton. Kallstrom is a very good player and did impress me at Lyon when I saw him in the Champions League. He's currently with Spartak Moscow, a team for which Aiden McGeady seems to perform well. He's partnered in midfield by Wernbloom, a player with CSKA I don't know much about.
Up front is Ibrahimovic who is an excellent player and has proved as much in Italy throughout his career. Beside him is Ranegie, a player who, at the age of 28, finally found his way to Serie A have spent his entire career in his homeland.

Basically, my point is that we shouldn't be too critical of the players at our disposal. Combined with the spirit and workrate that have seen very average players perform admirably for Ireland in the past, there is no way such a capitulation should have occurred last night.

Westwood
Coleman O'Shea Dunne Wilson
McGeady McCarthy Gibson McClean/Brady
Long/Doyle Keane

This side doesn't even mention players like Whelan, Walters and Clark who are currently enjoying regular football in the top flight. And I'm not intending to over-estimate the Premier League, of which many people can be very critical. It is just a yard stick I'm using to gauge players who are being picked regularly in one of Europe's top leagues.

p2011
13/10/2012, 4:17 PM
Direct quote from the RTE site. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/1013/341514-giovanni-trapattoni-not-contemplating-the-sack/ bottom of the article.

It was the German manager who said that.

Separate issue: What was said in the press conference at 4pm?

tricky_colour
13/10/2012, 4:34 PM
We were certainly crushed under the wheels of the Panzers last night.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2012, 4:34 PM
Let's leave my thoughts on Trap aside for the time being. Some facts:

- That German team was superb - a wonderful collective effort with every single bit of the team in harmony with all the others.
- We don't have the players that can campete with the game's elite these days. We have no Irish born players in the CL or Europa League this year, and none deserves to be.
- Put those two together and we realistically had no chance. We shouldn't be surprised.
- The above isn't Trap's fault.

However, what I think is Trap's fault:
- The modern game is all about pressing your opponents. We stood off them for the whole game. It was as if we were taking zonal marking to the extreme. Each player had a patch of turf to defend and that was about the extent of it. The Germans could go where they wanted.
- He asks us to trust the system. The system is a busted flush. It's been found out.
- He doesn't know his players' merits. He puts square pegs in round holes all the time and expects them to adapt. It's been happening for years.
- The players aren't playing for him. It feels like turning up for Ireland has become a chore, like it was under Kerr (rightly or wrongly).
- They don't seem even remotely cohesive on the ball. 2 passes, maybe 3 and then it's a hoof or a loss of possession. Painful.

That last bullet point you can argue stems back to a failure to develop players to a proper technical standard and that this is a symptom of the FAI standing over a broken pyramid. Spudulika was bang on in pointing out the flaws in our national system. But Trap's not blameless in this regard - he has never trusted the likes of Reid, Gibson on Hoolahan and he deployed Fahey in an inappropriate role yesterday.

Taking a beating at home isn't what's killing me, it's taking a beating at home without offering any kind of resistance. Capitulation it was called above. That's unforgivable and Trap has to take the heat for that because this car crash has been coming for ages. He turned around an underperforming team at our time of need but his thinking is out of date and inappropriate for our players.

I still think we have enough availalble to fight for second place - but we'll get nowhere near it with Trap in charge.

Ironically Trap's away record in awkward fixtures is very good, but I'd still like to see Noel King take the reins on Tuesday.

I'd say thousands upon thousands of those who attended last night will never go again with Trap in charge. It may cost the FAI money to fire him, but he'll cost them more if he stays.

TrapAPony
13/10/2012, 4:38 PM
Westwood
Coleman O'Shea Dunne Wilson
McGeady McCarthy Gibson McClean/Brady
Long/Doyle Keane

This side doesn't even mention players like Whelan, Walters and Clark
Alex Pearce
Stephen Ireland
David Meyler
Shane Duffy
Wes Hoolahan
Stephen Kelly
Stephen Reid
Anthony Pilkington
Joey O'Brien

We have enough players in the Premiership to be a useful side

tricky_colour
13/10/2012, 4:40 PM
If the Trap doesn't want the players to bypass the MF why does he let it happen time after time?

He could bollock em or drop em. He's clearly content with this policy of giving the ball back to the opposition. If Liverpool players under Brendan Rodgers started ignoring his demands for playing on the floor do you think he'd not say anything?

These guys are professional footballers. They should be able to pass, move & control a ball.

Problem is they have little option, the Germans have all our men marked so trying to pass the ball out
is pretty much suicide, rather then regaining possession in the German half they regain possession right in
front of our goal.

shakermaker1982
13/10/2012, 5:53 PM
O'Shea & Ward lump it long when the nearest opposition player is 50 yards away. It doesn't matter if the opposition press or not they still take easy option every time & this should be eradicated by the manager if it's not the type of football he wants.

Olé Olé
13/10/2012, 6:07 PM
Alex Pearce
Stephen Ireland
David Meyler
Shane Duffy
Wes Hoolahan
Stephen Kelly
Stephen Reid
Anthony Pilkington
Joey O'Brien

Was the 2002 side that swept aside Cameroon and Saudi Arabia and drew with Spain and Germany really that much better? Of course, Duff and Given have since retired and were integral to that side, while we were missing Dunne and Keane last night but Cunningham and Breen were hardly an inspirational centre-half partnership. Spain and Germany have improved vastly since 2002 but 6-1 at home is a result that a Conference team hosting Manchester United would be able to avoid in most instances.

The Irish sports psyche suffers often from over-ambition (2007 Rugby World Cup) and complete pessimism and negativity. I think it's a completely negative attitude to imagine that we couldn't do better with a different manager than we did last night. Trap was often at fault in terms of perceived poor selection and tactics, but as the play-off against France demonstrated, there was an indomitable spirit among the players. Whether this spirit was instilled by Trap is uncertain, but it's spirit, hunger and belief have long been characteristics of Irish sides. The fact that they have been zapped out of the current crop of players is a rot that needs to be stopped.

Of course, finance is the issue that keeps cropping up in relation to changing management, but the FAI should still endeavour to bring about the change to ensure what happened against Germany doesn't happen again, because on the back of Euro 2012 Trap certainly didn't.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2012, 6:45 PM
Slattery's in Beggars Bush showed the Ibaraki game from 2002 on TV before the game. I watched almost all of the second half. It really struck me how poor the game was, how much faster today's international football is, how we nearly gifted Germany two or even three goals in the second half, how casual Germany were in front of goal and how our first decent effort was 5 mins before our goal. Our play wasn't actually that cohesive at all. It shows you how the mind plays tricks down the years. Maybe we were better in the first half.

By the way, I'd qualify my post above by saying that maybe it's OK to stand off and absorb pressure if (a) you're good at it and (b) we're good on the counter. A bit like Chelsea. We're neither.

p2011
13/10/2012, 6:50 PM
Slattery's in Beggars Bush showed the Ibaraki game from 2002 on TV before the game. I watched almost all of the second half. It really struck me how poor the game was, how much faster today's international football is, how we nearly gifted Germany two or even three goals in the second half, how casual Germany were in front of goal and how our first decent effort was 5 mins before our goal.

True. Even through they reached the final, they were actually fairly mediocre (apart from the goalie and Ballack) and had a handy enough run to the final, and that was a mediocre enough world cup too. They went on to stink the place out at Euro 2004, which was won by Greece. Football really has moved on since then.

p2011
13/10/2012, 7:00 PM
Just looked it up, they got to the final in 2002 by beating Paraguay, USA and S Korea....

geysir
13/10/2012, 7:09 PM
Trap was often at fault in terms of perceived poor selection and tactics, but as the play-off against France demonstrated, there was an indomitable spirit among the players. Whether this spirit was instilled by Trap is uncertain, but it's spirit, hunger and belief have long been characteristics of Irish sides. The fact that they have been zapped out of the current crop of players is a rot that needs to be stopped
Afaic, we got to the WC 2010 play-offs on merit and nearly got through them, also we got to the Euro play-offs on merit as a seeded team. The big failure was to persist with hoof ball (which had already reached its end date) at the Euros and now this failure is compounded by continuing with it.
But the failures don't mean we have to revise every game in the last 2 qualification campaign and put any success down to luck, inadequacies in the opponents or positives in the Irish team which Trap had nothing to do with.

There is not a chance that we will get the better of Sweden in this group so we may as well write off Trap after the Faroes game and by the time this qualification campaign has ended, I'd bet the FAI will have recouped the pay off costs.

p2011
13/10/2012, 7:25 PM
I wouldn't revise the Euro 2012 qualification campaign: it was hairy enough at the time and it's still hairy enough now in retrospect. It was a weak group at the time and it still is. Getting Estonia was a lucky break then and now. It's not revisionism. Look at Armenia, Slovakia and Estonia's results so far this time around.

We haven't played a 'big game' since the Stade de France, and that's three years ago.

Angus
13/10/2012, 7:34 PM
Now that it has settled down, that was a privilege to watch - Ozil truly truly magnificient - it was a genuinely beautiful performance by Germany - will remember it for years - they were truly excellent - now, we were awful, but it was mesmeric

Qwerty
13/10/2012, 8:03 PM
This is the sort of scoreline I always expected in the early Charlton years but it never actually came. And through the McCarthy and Kerr years we continued to be a team that was hard to beat, we didn't actually beat very many good teams but we usually forced a stalemate. Our success has largely being good at not getting beaten if we're honest with ourselves.

The Euro results were a surprise despite the fact the players were obviously modest, Trapp seemed to have a Charlton like system to hide the weaknesses.

But there is a danger in over-reacting to this result, in the last game we were lucky to win but what was most depressing to me was how the lowly opposition were clearly technically better, Aiden McGeady is the only decent technical player we have. Nothing has changed in the past 20 years in terms of player development, we have more players but it seems the coaching in England hasn't improved a whole lot either. As most good Irish kids will still go abroad pretty early, are there lasting results in the FAI investing more money in making the kids technically better at a younger age? Will this be lost or stagnated when they move the the youth system in English clubs?

But for this game like any other you can break it down to

Preparation
Motivation
Selection
Tactics
Execution

I think we get a fail mark on each of those areas for this game, this was effectively close to a second string team making it all the more important for the coaching staff to get it right and clearly they did not, Tapp must take most of the blame.

It's also clear that without the missing players we have a very serious leadership problem on the pitch.

We allowed the Germans to dictate the pace of the game and for much of it, it was like a training ground practice. We rolled over big time, there are no excuses for a performance like this.

Qwerty
13/10/2012, 8:06 PM
Alex Pearce
Stephen Ireland
David Meyler
Shane Duffy
Wes Hoolahan
Stephen Kelly
Stephen Reid
Anthony Pilkington
Joey O'Brien

Can use use emoticons so I can sure you're being sarcastic please?

Diarmo
13/10/2012, 8:14 PM
I'm still hurting today. So far, I've just been able to read articles from various newspapers about how horrible yesterday was. The whole thing has left me kind of empty.

Honestly, I feel like Trap managed to delay the implosion of the Stan era for the WC 2010 campaign. When the successful Euro 2012 campaign finished, there were reservations, sure, but the results were what we needed so it was fine.

Now, I'm not sure where to go. I'd never wish defeat on an Irish team, but perhaps losing to the Faroes (which is a possibility) would make letting Trap go easier. It pains me to say it, but it needs to happen.

I kind of think that we need to make a cut off point of no players selected over 30 for our outfield players, and try and build for the Euro 2016 Qualifiers (It's a 24 team tournament, so we should make it).

Yes, the team is limited, but no so limited as to be destroyed by Germany like that.

A long time ago, I remember posting that although results were decent, there seemed to be no training of what to do with the ball when we have it. Players passing out of habit rather than having any idea what to do with the ball. Even the passing against Oman seemed very basic.

Time for a new system, new coach. Time to emphasize youth. If the Euros taught us anything, it's that simply getting to a major tournament is not enough. The humiliation of the last few months shows this. We need to have a national team that we have some pride in.

Honestly, I haven't felt so shaken in a long time. The Euros were bad, but this was at home. This was Landsdowne.
Big teams used to fear coming to Dublin. Our home form has been horrid for some time.

Qwerty
13/10/2012, 8:41 PM
This reminded me of the trouncing that Germany received at home at the hands of England under Kevin Keegan I think, they lost 5-1. That was a turning point for Germany and they made radical changes and the German team we see today is in large part down to that result.

We've had the Genesis report which was largely ignored, we had the horror defeat away to Cyprus. We've had a very disappointing Euro tourney and now this result. We need real and visible change well beyond a change of coach.

mark12345
13/10/2012, 9:22 PM
aiden mcgeady is the only decent technical player we have. Nothing has changed in the past 20 years in terms of player development, we have more players but it seems the coaching in england hasn't improved a whole lot either. As most good irish kids will still go abroad pretty early, are there lasting results in the fai investing more money in making the kids technically better at a younger age? Will this be lost or stagnated when they move the the youth system in english clubs?

that's it. Hit the nail right on the head. You don't need to say anymore. And those on this message board need to sit up and pay attention to this statement, and start demanding better of our coaching system.

Forget trap and this team - they are a lost generation. We need to start bringing in south american or even african coaches to ireland (i've said it a million times on here). Teach the kids the technical brilliance of even the most average players in chile, colombia etc (ffs look at uruguay - a country of 3.5 million who produced cavani, suarez, forlan, coates, hernandez and many others). Then our kids become a commodity to be reckoned with. Sell them on to (hopefully, please god, to a country other than the graveyard which is england) and plough the money back into our youth system.

Let me tell you i have seen plenty of football over this weekend and there have been better performances from antigua, el salvador, kazakstan, iceland. Ireland are at a stage now where, if you were showing a child images of football teams in a picture book, they wouldn't even qualify to be called one.

Let's get this thing fixed now or we'll be singing this song for the rest of our lives.

tricky_colour
13/10/2012, 9:29 PM
Afaic, we got to the WC 2010 play-offs on merit and nearly got through them, also we got to the Euro play-offs on merit as a seeded team. The big failure was to persist with hoof ball (which had already reached its end date) at the Euros and now this failure is compounded by continuing with it.
But the failures don't mean we have to revise every game in the last 2 qualification campaign and put any success down to luck, inadequacies in the opponents or positives in the Irish team which Trap had nothing to do with.

There is not a chance that we will get the better of Sweden in this group so we may as well write off Trap after the Faroes game and by the time this qualification campaign has ended, I'd bet the FAI will have recouped the pay off costs.

Maybe the problem is we have not been hoofing it enough?

mark12345
13/10/2012, 9:43 PM
I kind of think that we need to make a cut off point of no players selected over 30 for our outfield players, and try and build for the Euro 2016 Qualifiers (It's a 24 team tournament, so we should make it). Yes, the team is limited, but no so limited as to be destroyed by Germany like that.

How about a much better cut off point, that being that we don't accept more than a couple of sub standard performances. We have players in the team who could practically sit down on a deck chair and read the paper, and still get picked for the next game. O'Shea, Ward, Kilbane before him, Whelan and Andrews (I know Andrews is a favorite with some because of his aggression but his ability as a midfielder is rank). So we reaped what we sowed last night. Allowing mediocrity to prevail in the team for too long. In the end, it's all about coaching and we appear to have no decent coaches in Ireland.

tricky_colour
13/10/2012, 10:27 PM
Worth noting that even when we beat Oman 4-1 they had 56% of the possession.