PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Oman - Tuesday, 11th September 2012 - Friendly - Fulham

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Murfinator
10/09/2012, 11:35 AM
It's Traps B team, it's good that he remembered Wilson left Coleman right and not vice versa.

I don't see a valid reason why McClean has been put behind Keogh in the order, is it not enough that he apologised in front of the team for his comments? We are in a serious qualification group for the WC and now McClean been shafted out of the next 2 competitive games, at least.

Ah shafted, get out of that. It's of his own making, just because Trap hasn't ended his international career doesn't mean he hasn't dropped him down the pecking order. McClean needs to get his head and attitude in check, sitting on the bench for a while and learning to respect that decision may be the best thing for him, a guy with no competitive starts feeling entitlement to play is a ridiculous situation that needs to be nipped in the bud.

geysir
10/09/2012, 11:54 AM
As Stutts said, accept the sincere apology and move on.

Noelys Guitar
10/09/2012, 11:59 AM
Trapatonni in his own words defending the long ball.
He is talking tactics. After being told that even his most ardent supporter, Liam Brady, had called for a player-driven change of playing style, Trapattoni seeks to explain the logic behind his side's direct approach.
So he sketches a situation where a full-back is playing the ball long, towards a forward player, who must create space in order to facilitate runners from midfield.
His basic point is that the second ball means everything, and he would rather his players be contesting that in opposition territory.
In terms of last Friday's lucky win in Kazakhstan, he explains there were two reasons that his team focused on the long ball. One was the pitch, a view that was verified by defender Stephen Ward. "It wasn't really set up to play football on," said the left-back.
The other, according to Trapattoni, was to avoid unnecessary running.
"We had to save energy," he said. "So the long ball, and second ball, and then we play. We're not Manchester United -- tip, tip, tip, tip. We needed our strength.
"You could pass the ball for 80 minutes and lose one or two nil. The players must move, but I have to give them the situation.
"Liam Brady, he was never a manager. (He is then reminded that Brady did in fact work in management). You need to think in the night. I lie awake and think about this today, a new team, how we play in defence, how we develop the game."

Anyone who has played football on Astroturf at any level knows it is easy to pass the ball. Stan wouldn't come out with an excuse like this.

And these friendlies have been turned into reasons not to play players by the manager. The complete opposite of what they should be used for.

Wolfie
10/09/2012, 12:22 PM
Emmett Malone reckons Brady is going to start on the wing, with Coleman right-full, Marc Wilson at left back and David Meyler in midfield : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0910/1224323799375.html

He suggests the side will be:

Forde

Coleman Kelly St Ledger/McShane Wilson

Brady McCarthy Meyler Keogh

Long Doyle

I am both surprised and intrigued.

That line up is great to see - something to be positive about for a change.

It will be genuinely interesting to see how this one pans out.

There's a lot of players being thrown together for the first time here, so if it is a bit of a struggle for some, I hope its not used against them.

Without looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'd also be interested in seeing how Meyler would perform amongst a more established line up of players.

Murfinator
10/09/2012, 12:37 PM
As Stutts said, accept the sincere apology and move on.

Maybe he has and rates Brady as a better prospect than him? He doesn't seem to be playing Cox/Keogh in the same role as a typical winger.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2012, 12:52 PM
Maybe because they can't play as typical wingers?

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2012, 2:03 PM
Even if McClean was the perfect son, no guarantee Trap would play him, given his often bizarre tactics...

BonnieShels
10/09/2012, 2:05 PM
Maybe he doesn't feel the need to find out what McClean can do as we all already know!

Seems legit!

Sullivinho
10/09/2012, 2:50 PM
Brady, McCarthy & Meyler starting in MF with Coleman at RB..

Tis like something you'd see on an Irish football forum!

Murfinator
10/09/2012, 2:54 PM
Maybe because they can't play as typical wingers?

Who said he wanted them to play like typical wingers? If he can't have Duff he seems to want to play a deep lying goal threat instead of a poor man's Duff. The fact that he's dropped Hunt entirely even with Duff pretty much supports that he's losing interest in that kind of wide player.

the bear
10/09/2012, 2:58 PM
Excellant news on team selection. So good that i'm not even going to complain about Keogh on the wing

pineapple stu
10/09/2012, 3:01 PM
Dunno how much the team selection matters if they're just told to hoof the ball away and try defend again.

I'm not getting too excited, unfortunately.

DannyInvincible
10/09/2012, 3:16 PM
Interesting selection of personnel for this game. Looking forward to seeing how the less experienced heads get on.

Supreme feet
10/09/2012, 3:32 PM
Positive changes at full-back and central midfield - it's exactly what I've been waiting to see. :cool:

Having said that, I fully expect/fear that Andrews and Whelan will come back in for the Germany game, with O'Shea and Ward at full-back. :(

IsMiseSean
10/09/2012, 3:34 PM
No matter how good Coleman plays at RB or Meyler & McCarthy play at CM. None of them will have a hope of starting against Germany.

BonnieShels
10/09/2012, 3:34 PM
Positive changes at full-back and central midfield - it's exactly what I've been waiting to see. :cool:

Having said that, I fully expect/fear that Andrews and Whelan will come back in for the Germany game, with O'Shea and Ward at full-back. :(

Leave Keith out of it. It's a Hellish Trinity. Keith may not be everyone's favourite player but he's merely a St Peter in the mess.

tetsujin1979
10/09/2012, 3:46 PM
Who said he wanted them to play like typical wingers? If he can't have Duff he seems to want to play a deep lying goal threat instead of a poor man's Duff. The fact that he's dropped Hunt entirely even with Duff pretty much supports that he's losing interest in that kind of wide player.
just on Hunt, Noel tweeted this on Friday: https://twitter.com/boyhunt/status/244128633059414016

A lot of tweets to me about Stephen and Trapitoni honestly nothing happened there they still talk! Just wasn't named in the squad!???

the bear
10/09/2012, 4:09 PM
No matter how good Coleman plays at RB or Meyler & McCarthy play at CM. None of them will have a hope of starting against Germany.

You never know, if somebody has a stormer it might be to hard to ignore him. At least they are being given a chance to make an impact, thats all you can ask.

Closed Account 2
10/09/2012, 4:21 PM
I've two spare tickets for this at half price (£7.50 a ticket instead of £15 a ticket) if anybody wants them let me know.

IsMiseSean
10/09/2012, 4:23 PM
You never know, if somebody has a stormer it might be to hard to ignore him. At least they are being given a chance to make an impact, thats all you can ask.

I hope so, but I won't be holding my breath!!

EastTerracer
10/09/2012, 5:47 PM
FAI confirm the team on Twitter. St Ledger is replaced by McShane as suggested earlier

Senior Squad v Oman tomorrow night: Forde, Coleman, Kelly, McShane, Wilson, Meyler, McCarthy, Brady, Doyle, Long, Keogh

TrapAPony
10/09/2012, 5:50 PM
Doyle is captain

Condex
10/09/2012, 8:11 PM
I've two spare tickets for this at half price (£7.50 a ticket instead of £15 a ticket) if anybody wants them let me know.
I can take those, I've sent you a PM.

tricky_colour
10/09/2012, 9:00 PM
Has the full team been published?

If so could someone publish list and with a link to it?

BonnieShels
10/09/2012, 9:41 PM
Has the full team been published?

If so could someone publish list and with a link to it?

http://foot.ie/threads/171410-Ireland-v-Oman-Fulham-Tuesday-11th?p=1626338&viewfull=1#post1626338

tricky_colour
10/09/2012, 10:15 PM
http://foot.ie/threads/171410-Ireland-v-Oman-Fulham-Tuesday-11th?p=1626338&viewfull=1#post1626338

yes didn't see it, it kinda got lost in the one line, just thought it was one of the dozens of 'my selection' teams on here.

Senior Squad v Oman tomorrow night:

Forde,
Coleman,
Kelly,
McShane,
Wilson,
Meyler,
McCarthy,
Brady,
Doyle,
Long,
Keogh

Unfortunately it seems you cannot link to a twitter post.

Amazing how something so utterly useless became so popular, just goes
to show you can sell any kind of **** if you pay celebrities to promote if.

Stephen Fry has got a lot to answer for.

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2012, 10:30 PM
Frankly, I can see this being another poor game, though hope the punters get a few goals...

Closed Account
10/09/2012, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately it seems you cannot link to a twitter post.

Amazing how something so utterly useless became so popular, just goes
to show you can sell any kind of **** if you pay celebrities to promote if.

Stephen Fry has got a lot to answer for.
https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/245216756426240000

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 12:19 AM
https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/245216756426240000

Oh I see they have fixed it already - that was quick :p

Maybe perhaps it is the format which makes it difficult to see or whatever, anyhow I still think
twitter is carp.

You see the format is not that of a conventional tweet and there are load of unrelated tweets
below it,

The stuff at the top is normally....

FAI
@FAIreland

Official Twitter of the Football Association of Ireland. Claire, Lisa, Ger and Gordon are your Twitter team.

Ireland · http://www.fai.ie

....So I never look there because I 'know' it is not there so to speak.
As I said a load of carp. :)

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 12:27 AM
Frankly, I can see this being another poor game, though hope the punters get a few goals...

I am quite optimistic, I usually am when I see some new names in the team, at least up until kick off anyway.

Noelys Guitar
11/09/2012, 12:40 AM
A lot of interesting stuff in this article. Trapatonni saying at least one player is playing for his place against Germany (the reporter picks one of three from Coleman, Brady or Wilson.) Ciaran Clark wondering aloud through ESPN why he has been neglected. Paul La Guen kind of suggesting he would have been interested in the Ireland job when Trap got it. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0911/1224323845792.html

Crosby87
11/09/2012, 12:53 AM
yes didn't see it, it kinda got lost in the one line, just thought it was one of the dozens of 'my selection' teams on here.

Senior Squad v Oman tomorrow night:

Forde,
Coleman,
Kelly,
McShane,
Wilson,
Meyler,
McCarthy,
Brady,
Doyle,
Long,
Keogh

With our luck they will dominate only further confusing the situation.

gastric
11/09/2012, 1:58 AM
With our luck they will dominate only further confusing the situation.

There is no confusion at all! Trap will revert to the same old starting 11 for the next qualifier. IMO, the team he has named for tonight's game is probably to ease some growing tension in the squad about selection. The Germans are probably laughing as they will not have to do too much research into our game plan and personnel.

elroy
11/09/2012, 8:41 AM
A lot of interesting stuff in this article. Trapatonni saying at least one player is playing for his place against Germany (the reporter picks one of three from Coleman, Brady or Wilson.) Ciaran Clark wondering aloud through ESPN why he has been neglected. Paul La Guen kind of suggesting he would have been interested in the Ireland job when Trap got it. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0911/1224323845792.html

Paul La Guen saying god ya id love 2m quid a year to do an international job, who wouldnt!!?

zero
11/09/2012, 9:28 AM

hmm, i'd imagine mccarthy is at the head of that queue to replace whelan/andrews.

i suppose it's possible to might want to drop ward though.

livehead1
11/09/2012, 9:41 AM
Daily Mail were giving away tickets for this game tonight, looking forward to it!

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2012, 9:44 AM
Bizarre.

And will Le Guen get 'booed'?

He shouldn't be, for what it's worth...

Fixer82
11/09/2012, 9:50 AM
Apologies if this has been addressed already but what station is showing this and what time is kick-off?

jbyrne
11/09/2012, 9:57 AM
Apologies if this has been addressed already but what station is showing this and what time is kick-off?

7.30pm setanta ireland

Crosby87
11/09/2012, 11:14 AM
The Germans are probably laughing as they will not have to do too much research into our game plan and personnel.

The only thing a German ever laughs at are people who dont like David Hasselhoff.

The Fly
11/09/2012, 11:41 AM
7.30pm setanta ireland

Is RTE showing highlights?

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2012, 12:13 PM
What highlights...

johnnyc
11/09/2012, 12:13 PM
Just checked the Sky epg - doesn't look like it. :(

Noelys Guitar
11/09/2012, 12:16 PM
Kevin Doyle burying the Duff to return story this morning. We know Clark is 'being followed' so that is going to rule him out for the foreseeable future. Also, worrying return of the McCarthy 'shyness' this morning in Traps comments. Trap did mention the German full backs ability to get up and down the pitch for an entire match suggesting Coleman could do that and get in 10 crosses as well. So Coleman won't be replacing JOS any time soon. He made no mention of Wilson whatsoever so that might be the change. Wilson for Ward with Andrews coming back in for McCarthy would be my guess for the Germany game.

Wolfie
11/09/2012, 12:17 PM
Most critical of all - will we be in the White Jersey or the Green.

I think we count as the "Home" team so should be green. Unless, of course, we wear the Glory years "Carling Cup Champions" Black one????

EastTerracer
11/09/2012, 12:24 PM
Is RTE showing highlights?

No RTE highlights. Setanta Ireland will show a repeat of the game at 11am on Wednesday morning.

www.goal.com (http://www.goal.com) seemed to be offering live online coverage in the UK and Australia (for a fee) alongside the Kazakhstan and Faroes matches - details are here (http://www.soccer.livesport.tv/?WT.mc_id=edit_enie).
3Z1AgHGV0Y8

AlaskaFox
11/09/2012, 12:37 PM
Oman play in red (home) and white (away), so I'd say green could be likely either way.

Wolfie
11/09/2012, 12:52 PM
Oman play in red (home) and white (away), so I'd say green could be likely either way.

Anyone old enough to remember "Microprose Soccer" on the Commodore 64???? :D

Oman were the handy team to get. They were regularly on the wrong end of double figure defeats.

Stuttgart88
11/09/2012, 1:58 PM
No RTE highlights. Setanta Ireland will show a repeat of the game at 11am on Wednesday morning.

www.goal.com (http://www.goal.com) seemed to be offering live online coverage in the UK and Australia (for a fee) alongside the Kazakhstan and Faroes matches - details are here (http://www.soccer.livesport.tv/?WT.mc_id=edit_enie).
3Z1AgHGV0Y8I was watching the tennis last night and kept thinking that Novak Djokovic was a kind of stretched / elongated version of Shane Long. Or if Long was standing in front of one of those funny mirrors he'd look like Djokovic. That pic of Long kind of does that thought justice. In my mind anyway.

Fixer82
11/09/2012, 2:28 PM
7.30pm setanta ireland
thanks ;)