PDA

View Full Version : Zidane set to retire?

eirebhoy
11/08/2004, 11:29 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20040811_100926Dev.html

Translated:
Zidane to the retirement?

A week after the discussion between Zidane and Domenech to Madrid, and on the eve of the publication of the list for France - Bosnia herzégovine, "THE equipe" asserts that the number 10 of the France team « will not return » under the blue shirt, after 93 divided up selections on almost ten seasons. The star of the Real Madrid, that will do his official return Wednesday evening in League of the champions to Cracovie, chose to announce it Thursday evening on Canal +, during a discussion granted to Michel Denisot and filmed to Madrid.

The newspaper mentions collected confidences with the immediate entourage of the player. « As it recently confirmed it to its near ones to the coming from this discussion with the national trainer, Zidane quittera well equips it France, writes "THE equipe". To thirty-two years, his determination to turn the page to consecrate itself, first, more amply to his family, then to win in the middle of the stars madrilènes, was not impaired. »

Zidane would have decided well before the Euro 2004 to give this orientation to his career. The elimination against the Greece in quarter final (0-1), very far hopes that it nourished for the group, not nothing changed to the data. The announcement of the international retirement of Zidane would intervene after the one of Marcel Desailly, Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizarazu. She would leave unresolved the question of the capitanat with the Blue ones, and would do Fabien Barthez the last survivor of the generation having begun between 1992 and 1994.

---------------------------

I would have preferred Zidane to stay. With Makelele as the holding midfielder and Vieira as his central midfield partner, Zidane was usually put out on the left and the midfield wasn't as effective. If Zidane does retire they'll play with a left winger and a more settled midfield. Their defence isn't the best though so I'm happy enough with that.

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 11:35 AM
At the end of the day it's good news. Yes the French are more likely to be lazy when Zidane plays but not having to come up against a player who can turn a game on it's head on his own can only be a bonus.

Metrostars
11/08/2004, 5:45 PM
Anytime a former(or indeed current) best player in the world retires is always a good thing for the opposing side.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 12:10 PM
Zidane is not included in France's squad for the match against Bosnia and has officially retired.

Junior
12/08/2004, 12:39 PM
great news for Ireland, however as a fan I have never got to see him play in the flesh, the forthcoming game was my real opportunity :(

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=5955057&section=news

Squad -v- Bosnia (he didn't include those playing in CL qualifiers AFAIK, although Cisse is there):

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Rangers), Patrice Evra (Monaco), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (AS Monaco), Bernard Mendy (Paris St Germain), Anthony Reveillere (Olympique Lyon), Sebastien Squillaci (Monaco)

Midfielders: Alou Diarra (RC Lens), Rio-Antonio Mavuba (Girondins Bordeaux), Benoit Pedretti (Olympique Marseille), Robert Pires (Arsenal), Jerome Rothen (Paris St Germain), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal)

Forwards: Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Pierre-Alain Frau (Olympique Lyon), Sydney Govou (Olympique Lyon), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Peguy Luyindula (Olympique Marseille)

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 1:30 PM
Superb news for Ireland, despite all of their world class players France really struggle without Zidane.

carnstien
12/08/2004, 3:29 PM
That France squad does not look much better than what we have. I think we can definately take them.

NeilMcD
12/08/2004, 3:44 PM
I think that is a bit Naive, to be honest, most people knowledge of french football is not the best, but the one thing they have done in the last few years is have a converyor belt of young talent coming through. Some of the new names in the squad are going to be very strong, as french football is at the moment, hence two teams in european finals last year. They may also play more as a team, which as seen from Greece is an important thing. The days of judging a team purely on the names in its starting eleve should be over, since Porto, Greece, Shels etc.

Jon'o
12/08/2004, 4:16 PM
gives us some hope though......now if only RMK would do the same.......... ;)

brave :eek:

how long now before this all kicks off again and the thread gets closed??? :D

NeilMcD
12/08/2004, 4:16 PM
Well you shoudl feck off then with an attitude like that. THey; have lost a world class player, and we haev gained one in the last few months. Why would we want to lose a world class player, call me old fashioned but i want ireland to win.

1MickCollins
12/08/2004, 10:50 PM
It's a pity we aren't playing France earlier, they may be there for the taking - new manager and quite a few first teamers retired. They have strength in depth but it will take a few games for them to gel.

brine3
12/08/2004, 11:48 PM
Hopefully they'll win handsomely before they play us and then get all coqy.

Plastic Paddy
13/08/2004, 9:57 AM
What :confused: ......Graham Barrett...... ;)

No Dav, I think he means Aiden McGeady. :D

:D PP

NeilMcD
13/08/2004, 9:59 AM
No I think I mean Roy Keane,

carnstien
13/08/2004, 10:04 AM
I think that is a bit Naive, to be honest, most people knowledge of french football is not the best, but the one thing they have done in the last few years is have a converyor belt of young talent coming through.
I don't think that saying we can take the French is Naive at all.

Compare what there 1st team will be, man for man, to ours and I dont think there is a huge difference.

I would imagine that there 1st choice midfield will now consist of Vieira, Makalele, Rothen and Pires. We can almost match that man for man with Keane, O'Shea (who I think we should play in central midfield), Duff and Finnan/Miller/A.Reid. You could argue that 3 out of four of our midfielders are better players if you agree that Keane is better than Vieira, O'Shea is better than Makalele (who is overated bigtime) and Duff is better than Rothen.

That was a bit drawn out but you know what I'm saying.

The one position we can't match them is up front, but you saw Henry and Trezeguet at Euro 2004, they were appaling. They are not big game players and they disappear when the pressure is on. Robbie is the complete opposite, when it really matters is when he turns it on, remember the World Cup?

NeilMcD
13/08/2004, 10:12 AM
I think the naive bit, was saying that the French squad was not better than ours. THere squad is a lot better than ours. However I think if we have our full 11 we can go out there and get a draw at leat and maybe sneak a win. We have to acknowledge that the last major team we beat away from home in a competitive match was Scotland in 1987. However I am one who is always arguing that we should expect more of ourselves etc. A couple of other points. A few years ago Roy Keane was a better player than Viera. Then they became about equal. Now I would give the nod to Viera but on a one and one match it is 50-50 and Keane may have the edge as he did in the semi final last year. However to say that John O Shea who has played on Champions league qualifier at midfiled is better than Makele who has won European cups and played at least 20 champions league matches in midfield is nonsense. There have been mixed reports of O Shea the other night, from you saying he was immennse to others saying he was crap. I would say the truth, as it so often is , is in the middle. I am optimisitc as I think we have a more settled team, and our manager has imposed his pattern of play on the side etc. These aspects are so important, just look at Greece. But i would not say that man for man we are a better team, and in no way are we a better squad.

NeilMcD
13/08/2004, 10:14 AM
Ah,the Brat :rolleyes: ......unlike him,Zidane has had the dignity to retire at the top of his game....... ;)

That could be largely to do with the fact that he has won everything in the international game, whereas in keanes eyes he has unfinished business. I think that if Keane had of played in The 2002 world cup he would not be playing for us now. Anyway i dont want this to be another post but you seem to be sadly hung up about the guy. Get over it,

Bowsy
13/08/2004, 10:21 AM
The French have a lot stronger squad. That's not saying we can't beat them but we should be realistic. Look at the panic Robbie's injury caused for a start. The players coming in such as Govou, Luyindula and Rothen (Probably my favourite player of last year - class act) have proven themselves in the Champions League and i'd give my right arm to have them in our squad. I'm hopeful we can catch France on the hop away and at home i believe we can beat anyone.

To say O'Shea is as good in Centre Midfield as Claude Makelele (poor last season or not) is ridiculous.

carnstien
13/08/2004, 10:39 AM
I think the naive bit, was saying that the French squad was not better than ours. THere squad is a lot better than ours.

There have been mixed reports of O Shea the other night, from you saying he was immennse to others saying he was crap. I would say the truth, as it so often is , is in the middle
I don't and never have believed that we can in any way match there squad. When I was saying that there squad didn't look so impressive, what I meant was that there best 11 players wouldn't be much better than ours.

I agree that when it comes to strenght in depth we are nowhere near them, I mean Anelka who I think is one of the best strikers in the premiership isn't even considered.

And on the O'Shea thing, watch Man U and Chelsea at the weekend, after his last performance I have a feeling O'Shea will be played in midfield. It will be very interesting to see how he gets on against real world class opposition in that position.

tiktok
13/08/2004, 10:53 AM
I meant was that there best 11 players wouldn't be much better than ours

I don't disagree with this, but I think it's worth noting that the French squad listed in post #6 is missing a few that'll be in line to start against us (or at least feature) becuase they were involved in CL Qualifiers/injured

Silvestre/Saha from Man United
Trezeguet/Zebina from Juventus
for example

NeilMcD
13/08/2004, 10:55 AM
"That France squad does not look much better than what we have"

That was your quote above, now to me and to lots of others a squad means the 22 or 23 players in it. It does not mean the starting 11. So when you said the squad does not look much better than what we have, i can only go on what the common meaning of squad is, which is the 22 or 23 players. if you meant the starting 11, why did you not say the starting 11.

Regarding O shea, You have a feeling, does not add up to much fact, it is just a sense that you have that O shea will be better than Makele in midfield, despite the fact that makele has a better proven record at playing midfield at the highest level.

In another point to Davros, I will let you thilnk what you think, but I do suggest you get over it as it is like a poison, inside you and you should reach some sort of closure for your own sake. Unfinished business does not actually mean win the world cup. It just means that he feels he wants to play in anotehr world cup. The original point I was making is, that we have gained a world class player in Roy Keane and they have lost one, in Zidane,> Them two facts have to be good for the Irish football team regardless of your views on Saiplan, Keane, Mc Carthy etc.

carnstien
13/08/2004, 11:38 AM
"That France squad does not look much better than what we have"

That was your quote above, now to me and to lots of others a squad means the 22 or 23 players in it.
OK, that's what I said but I obviously did not articulate what I meant very well, it's obvious to evryone that France have far more strenght in depth than us, what I should have written was that their first 11 wasn't much better than what we have.

eirebhoy
13/08/2004, 12:21 PM
If he was the player of 3-4 years ago,he might be reluctantly accepted. :rolleyes: ...now he's just pure sh*te :o .....Vieria's miles better........whilst skill-wise the only Irish people who can be equated with Zidane are Brady,Best & Giles!
I can't remember Vieira ever getting the better of Keane in a United-Arsenal match.

BTW, sorry to bring this old chestnut back up again (but you bring him up in every second post ;) ), but what exactly do you have against Keane? I'm sure you can accept that he had no choice but to leave Saipan and he wasn't accepted back by his teammates, who for obvious reasons backed their boss. Is it because he officially "retired" when Kerr took over? I'm sure you'd accept Kiely or Kelly back with open arms if they could get into the team. It took some balls to turn his back on Fergie and come back to play for us.

carnstien
13/08/2004, 12:50 PM
now he's just pure sh*te
When you come out with crap like that you loose all credibility.

brine3
13/08/2004, 12:51 PM
Japan was before the full truth came out and people only had BBC and CNN coverage to go on.

At the game in Basel the vast majority of supporters had realised what a fool Mick was.

RMK is overhyped,over-rated

But Manchester United still can't win without him. Strange that.

eirebhoy
13/08/2004, 1:16 PM
How about last season?! :confused: FFS,Even Alf Inge-Haaland got the better of him.....RMK is overhyped,over-rated & definitely Over The Hill :p
Any specific match? They both had equal games in the first game at Old Trafford and the FA cup match. Keane had a better game in the league match at Highbury AFAIR. Vieira is a lot more overrated IMO and doesn't even play half as well for France.

tiktok
13/08/2004, 1:26 PM
RMK is overhyped,over-rated & definitely Over The Hill :p

There's no doubt that he's not the player he was a few years ago, but his contribution at united (and ireland) has always been about more than just his game. It's not easily explained, but United are a better team with him there, I'm not sure if he inspires or frightens his team-mates but he brings more out of those around him, he seems to put himself on the line when it's needed and that lifts others to raise their game.

He still reads the game as well as anyone else I can think of, and while he has that ability his legs fading is not such an issue (in exactly the same way that it wasn't with McGrath).

I still think he has a load to offer both United and Ireland, if only because of his influence on a decent crop of young players both at Club or country. One thing I'll guarantee, Liam Miller will become a vastly better player for Keane's influence.

carnstien
13/08/2004, 1:29 PM
PS.Incredulously,you have spelt'credibility' :rolleyes: ........However 'lose' has only One 'o'....... ;)

Wow, you can spell, I'm sorry for every thing I said about you losing credibility. Now I think you should be made Emperor of the World and worshiped as a God.

Metrostars
13/08/2004, 7:06 PM
Why does every thread here have to turn into another endless battle between the Pro-Roy and the Anti-Roy factions?

Can't we all just get along?

1MickCollins
13/08/2004, 10:44 PM
No because Roy is a symbol of the new Ireland, he wants to win and feels that just putting in a good performance is not enough, moral victories don't do it for him. Just like Brian O'Driscoll in rugby terms or U2 in music etc. They want to be the best.

Gary Kelly is a good example of the old Ireland...

1MickCollins
13/08/2004, 10:53 PM
I think he is right in not wanting to play friendlies, I don't watch them - they're a waste of time. Could you question his commitmet to Utd? Remember he has to put up with the hacks in Merrion Sq, can only imagine how depressing it must be to run sholuders with thos f**ck-offs. Rooney in fairness seems to be going in the right direction.

eirebhoy
14/08/2004, 7:07 PM
I think he is right in not wanting to play friendlies, I don't watch them - they're a waste of time.
I really find it strange that you don't watch Ireland play in any kind of match. I'd watch the U-16 play Azerbaijan if given the chance.

1MickCollins
14/08/2004, 10:43 PM
So would I if it was a competitive game - FIFA should reduce the number of friendlies a team can play to say 2 a year. If you like watching friendlies, good for you, I don't.

eirebhoy
15/08/2004, 11:12 AM
1MickCollins, you have never seen Andy Reid, Miller, Colgan, Maybury, Barrett, Quinn, O'Brien, Rowlands, Kenny, Delap, Douglas, Clarke, Crowe, Byrne, Murphy, Thompson, McGeady and Doyle play for Ireland?

1MickCollins
15/08/2004, 5:11 PM
Yes I have, I shouldn't have said "I don't watch them" - I meant I really don't get too excited about them, I do watch most of them but with an eye only on new faces. To me it's a scrimmage and nothing more, the result doesn't count - you are really looking at individual performances and looking for indications of possible quality.

Why would Roy Keane or Shay Given or Steve Carr want to play as many friendlies as we do? Even if the opposition is decent, what's the point of them playing meaningless games when we know what they can do?

I think an early season friendy is important for getting together and maybe one in January but once the season is going strong they are a waste of time and just another games these premership guys don't need and an injury risk. We play more friendlies than most other countries because it is pretty much the only revenue that the FAI gets.

Do you honestly think a friendly result means anything? If we beat Argentina or Brazil or Germany in a friendly so effing what! I want to beat them in the World Cup!! I think that is what Roy and a few others in the squad feel.

eirebhoy
15/08/2004, 5:58 PM
Why would Roy Keane or Shay Given or Steve Carr want to play as many friendlies as we do? Even if the opposition is decent, what's the point of them playing meaningless games when we know what they can do?
Ok, we know what Carr, Given, Roy, Robbie and Cunningham can do so lets not play them in friendlies. We should just stick them in our first qualifying game when they're not as familiar with each other's game. Why do you think they have the phrase, "money doesn't buy success"? Players have to gel and they can only do that by playing games. Look at Arsenal they are so familiar with each other that they make more chances than any other team and could virtually pass to a specific teammate blindfolded. Chelsea could probably make a better team on paper but it'll take time before they can match them.

Here's an example of why we need everyone for friendlies. We had just drawn with Russia and our next group game was against Switzerland. Kerr still hadn't found the right partner for Robbie. We were playing Turkey in a friendly and Keane was unavailable so Kerr played Doc and Connolly up front. Connolly played a stormer, scored and won man of the match. Kerr played Connolly and Keane up front against the Swizz and they just couldn't play together. If Keane was available for the Turkey game Kerr could have at least tested the Keane-Connolly partnership and would more than likely have seen they weren't the best partnership we could put out.

Other partnerships that need to be formed are at the centre of defence and midfield. Aswell as that we need see how well Duff links up with the left back (Pires and Cole know each other's game inside out at this stage). And Carr with the right midfielder.

Have you seen Sven G Eriksson's squad? He is in the rebuilding stage after Euro 2004 with the likes of Shaun W Phillips, Defoe, Johnson and Jenas in the team. Kerr has played 8 friendlies and now probably knows his starting 11. I'd bet my house that Kerr would not stick Macken up front with Keane in a competitive game without testing them in a friendly.

1MickCollins
15/08/2004, 6:20 PM
Ok, we know what Carr, Given, Roy, Robbie and Cunningham can do so lets not play them in friendlies. We should just stick them in our first qualifying game when they're not as familiar with each other's game.

If these guys aren't "familiar with each other's game" after playing 50 games together when will they be?

Kerr played Connolly and Keane up front against the Swizz and they just couldn't play together. If Keane was available for the Turkey game Kerr could have at least tested the Keane-Connolly partnership and would more than likely have seen they weren't the best partnership we could put out.

So Kerr has never seen Keane and Connolly play together before? Is that right? Mr VCR Kerr couldn't find a tape? Not a very convincing example.

eirebhoy
15/08/2004, 6:59 PM
If these guys aren't "familiar with each other's game" after playing 50 games together when will they be?
Everyone has to get used to playing with each other, not just the big guns. Reid, Miller, O'Brien, etc...