Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Zidane set to retire?

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20040811_100926Dev.html

Translated:
    Zidane to the retirement?

A week after the discussion between Zidane and Domenech to Madrid, and on the eve of the publication of the list for France - Bosnia herzégovine, "THE equipe" asserts that the number 10 of the France team « will not return » under the blue shirt, after 93 divided up selections on almost ten seasons. The star of the Real Madrid, that will do his official return Wednesday evening in League of the champions to Cracovie, chose to announce it Thursday evening on Canal +, during a discussion granted to Michel Denisot and filmed to Madrid.

The newspaper mentions collected confidences with the immediate entourage of the player. « As it recently confirmed it to its near ones to the coming from this discussion with the national trainer, Zidane quittera well equips it France, writes "THE equipe". To thirty-two years, his determination to turn the page to consecrate itself, first, more amply to his family, then to win in the middle of the stars madrilènes, was not impaired. »

Zidane would have decided well before the Euro 2004 to give this orientation to his career. The elimination against the Greece in quarter final (0-1), very far hopes that it nourished for the group, not nothing changed to the data. The announcement of the international retirement of Zidane would intervene after the one of Marcel Desailly, Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizarazu. She would leave unresolved the question of the capitanat with the Blue ones, and would do Fabien Barthez the last survivor of the generation having begun between 1992 and 1994.

---------------------------

I would have preferred Zidane to stay. With Makelele as the holding midfielder and Vieira as his central midfield partner, Zidane was usually put out on the left and the midfield wasn't as effective. If Zidane does retire they'll play with a left winger and a more settled midfield. Their defence isn't the best though so I'm happy enough with that.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At the end of the day it's good news. Yes the French are more likely to be lazy when Zidane plays but not having to come up against a player who can turn a game on it's head on his own can only be a bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Anytime a former(or indeed current) best player in the world retires is always a good thing for the opposing side.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Zidane is not included in France's squad for the match against Bosnia and has officially retired.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    great news for Ireland, however as a fan I have never got to see him play in the flesh, the forthcoming game was my real opportunity
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...7&section=news

Squad -v- Bosnia (he didn't include those playing in CL qualifiers AFAIK, although Cisse is there):

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Rangers), Patrice Evra (Monaco), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (AS Monaco), Bernard Mendy (Paris St Germain), Anthony Reveillere (Olympique Lyon), Sebastien Squillaci (Monaco)

Midfielders: Alou Diarra (RC Lens), Rio-Antonio Mavuba (Girondins Bordeaux), Benoit Pedretti (Olympique Marseille), Robert Pires (Arsenal), Jerome Rothen (Paris St Germain), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal)

Forwards: Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Pierre-Alain Frau (Olympique Lyon), Sydney Govou (Olympique Lyon), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Peguy Luyindula (Olympique Marseille)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Superb news for Ireland, despite all of their world class players France really struggle without Zidane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That France squad does not look much better than what we have. I think we can definately take them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that is a bit Naive, to be honest, most people knowledge of french football is not the best, but the one thing they have done in the last few years is have a converyor belt of young talent coming through. Some of the new names in the squad are going to be very strong, as french football is at the moment, hence two teams in european finals last year. They may also play more as a team, which as seen from Greece is an important thing. The days of judging a team purely on the names in its starting eleve should be over, since Porto, Greece, Shels etc.

Dublin or lost in a backwater called England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    gives us some hope though......now if only RMK would do the same..........
    brave

how long now before this all kicks off again and the thread gets closed???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well you shoudl feck off then with an attitude like that. THey; have lost a world class player, and we haev gained one in the last few months. Why would we want to lose a world class player, call me old fashioned but i want ireland to win.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's a pity we aren't playing France earlier, they may be there for the taking - new manager and quite a few first teamers retired. They have strength in depth but it will take a few games for them to gel.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Hopefully they'll win handsomely before they play us and then get all coqy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    What ......Graham Barrett......
    No Dav, I think he means Aiden McGeady.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No I think I mean Roy Keane,

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    I think that is a bit Naive, to be honest, most people knowledge of french football is not the best, but the one thing they have done in the last few years is have a converyor belt of young talent coming through.
    I don't think that saying we can take the French is Naive at all.

Compare what there 1st team will be, man for man, to ours and I dont think there is a huge difference.

I would imagine that there 1st choice midfield will now consist of Vieira, Makalele, Rothen and Pires. We can almost match that man for man with Keane, O'Shea (who I think we should play in central midfield), Duff and Finnan/Miller/A.Reid. You could argue that 3 out of four of our midfielders are better players if you agree that Keane is better than Vieira, O'Shea is better than Makalele (who is overated bigtime) and Duff is better than Rothen.

That was a bit drawn out but you know what I'm saying.

The one position we can't match them is up front, but you saw Henry and Trezeguet at Euro 2004, they were appaling. They are not big game players and they disappear when the pressure is on. Robbie is the complete opposite, when it really matters is when he turns it on, remember the World Cup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think the naive bit, was saying that the French squad was not better than ours. THere squad is a lot better than ours. However I think if we have our full 11 we can go out there and get a draw at leat and maybe sneak a win. We have to acknowledge that the last major team we beat away from home in a competitive match was Scotland in 1987. However I am one who is always arguing that we should expect more of ourselves etc. A couple of other points. A few years ago Roy Keane was a better player than Viera. Then they became about equal. Now I would give the nod to Viera but on a one and one match it is 50-50 and Keane may have the edge as he did in the semi final last year. However to say that John O Shea who has played on Champions league qualifier at midfiled is better than Makele who has won European cups and played at least 20 champions league matches in midfield is nonsense. There have been mixed reports of O Shea the other night, from you saying he was immennse to others saying he was crap. I would say the truth, as it so often is , is in the middle. I am optimisitc as I think we have a more settled team, and our manager has imposed his pattern of play on the side etc. These aspects are so important, just look at Greece. But i would not say that man for man we are a better team, and in no way are we a better squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ah,the Brat ......unlike him,Zidane has had the dignity to retire at the top of his game.......
    That could be largely to do with the fact that he has won everything in the international game, whereas in keanes eyes he has unfinished business. I think that if Keane had of played in The 2002 world cup he would not be playing for us now. Anyway i dont want this to be another post but you seem to be sadly hung up about the guy. Get over it,

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The French have a lot stronger squad. That's not saying we can't beat them but we should be realistic. Look at the panic Robbie's injury caused for a start. The players coming in such as Govou, Luyindula and Rothen (Probably my favourite player of last year - class act) have proven themselves in the Champions League and i'd give my right arm to have them in our squad. I'm hopeful we can catch France on the hop away and at home i believe we can beat anyone.

To say O'Shea is as good in Centre Midfield as Claude Makelele (poor last season or not) is ridiculous.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    I think the naive bit, was saying that the French squad was not better than ours. THere squad is a lot better than ours.

There have been mixed reports of O Shea the other night, from you saying he was immennse to others saying he was crap. I would say the truth, as it so often is , is in the middle
    I don't and never have believed that we can in any way match there squad. When I was saying that there squad didn't look so impressive, what I meant was that there best 11 players wouldn't be much better than ours.

I agree that when it comes to strenght in depth we are nowhere near them, I mean Anelka who I think is one of the best strikers in the premiership isn't even considered.

And on the O'Shea thing, watch Man U and Chelsea at the weekend, after his last performance I have a feeling O'Shea will be played in midfield. It will be very interesting to see how he gets on against real world class opposition in that position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast