PDA

View Full Version : Have some balls and be honest about $h€l$

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pablo
09/08/2004, 11:43 AM
Be honest? i hope they get spanked. i hate them. they represent satan himself. They kick, bully and steal their way through the eircom league and the normal set of rules do not apply. i dont care who supports City as long as the Corkonians do because i know if we do well our support will be massive.
Not the case for ollie's lovechildren

i'm drawing a line in the sand here now.

Come on Deportivo!!!!!!!!!!!

i know theres lots more here

paudie
09/08/2004, 12:19 PM
Disagree completely.

Was delighted Shels got through and hope they do ok against Deportivo for the following reasons:

1.Good results improve the UEFA coefficiency points and that benefits all clubs.

2. Great publicity has been generated for the league because Shels played so well on live TV against the champion of a country who would be seen as being of a higher standard than the EL.
Some people are bound to cop on that the standard of football in the league can't be crap when Shels play so well. At the moment they aren't even top of the league and they have been beaten twice in the league this season so obviously they're aren't miles ahead of the other clubs.

3. God almighty they're an Irish club. You're supporting a Spanish club against an Irish one. Give me a break.

4. There is a possibility that investors might be attracted to invest in EL clubs if Euro success is seen as a real possibility.

There is always the worry that Shels will use the money they get from the game to dominate the league like Rosenborg. Its a bit early for those comparisions yet. Roseborg qualified for something like 6 group stages in a row so they received a lot more money than Shels will get this season.

Even if Shels do use some of the money to buy players if other clubs are properly organised they will have their best players under long contracts so Shels will have to pay through the nose to buy them and the other clubs can use this money to buy decent players and so on.

Pablo's comments are no more than begrudgery of the worst kind and I don't think the majority of Cork City supporters agree with him.

LFC in Exile
09/08/2004, 1:07 PM
Be honest? i hope they get spanked. i hate them. they represent satan himself. They kick, bully and steal their way through the eircom league and the normal set of rules do not apply. i dont care who supports City as long as the Corkonians do because i know if we do well our support will be massive.
Not the case for ollie's lovechildren

i'm drawing a line in the sand here now.

i know theres lots more here

I was in Italy a couple of years ago. I was talking to a Fiorentina fan the day Junve were playing Man Utd in the Champions League. I asked if he was going to be cheering for United given the hostility between Juve and Fiorentina. He looked at me as if I had two heads (I don't) and said that he would never support a foreign team before an Italian team.

They kick their way through the eL? What a load of sh ite. Time to grow up. It doesn't take balls to support Depor this week, just a very very small mind.

the 12 th man
09/08/2004, 1:20 PM
I was in Italy a couple of years ago. I was talking to a Fiorentina fan the day Junve were playing Man Utd in the Champions League. I asked if he was going to be cheering for United given the hostility between Juve and Fiorentina. He looked at me as if I had two heads (I don't) and said that he would never support a foreign team before an Italian team.

They kick their way through the eL? What a load of sh ite. Time to grow up. It doesn't take balls to support Depor this week, just a very very small mind.

great post,agreed

Pablo
09/08/2004, 1:23 PM
let me re phrase it. i'll stop short at cheering for Deportive but i cant cheer for shels.

When bohs were doing well i was delighted for them. they have good supporters and a fine tradition and although i dont like them i have a healthy respect for them

This too applies to Rovers and even though i like them even less i still grudgingly respect them.

And any other team? i was gutted for Longford because i have a soft spot for them.

Now for Shelbourne.
The way they blatently sell this league down the river sickens me. they have no fans. they read from a different rule book from the rest of us. they are bullies on the field need i go on?

i've had conversations with many fans about this not just City fans and they have all agreed that Shels are trhe one club they would not like to see make money out of Europe

i've stuck my neck out and i know many agree with me.

"Pablo's comments are no more than begrudgery of the worst kind and I don't think the majority of Cork City supporters agree with him."

I take great offence to that paudie its something i feel strongly about and i'm entitled to my opinion how dare you.

any other club................i'd cheer for but not them

pete
09/08/2004, 1:29 PM
People are free to support or not support whoever they choose. I don't think everyone should automatically have to support $hel$.

Slash/ED
09/08/2004, 1:38 PM
they have no fans.

I suppose I'm just a figment of your overactive imagination so.

Pablo
09/08/2004, 1:42 PM
I suppose I'm just a figment of your overactive imagination so.
ok they have a "fan" i said "fans" :D

well maybe this run will get you more support but i doubt it.

i witnessed you beating us to win the league at home in front of no more than 1000 people

i think that night my dislike of shels reached a new height and not because they won the league(i went on the pitch and clapped) but because of the 90% emty stadium. It made me sick

robbieos88
09/08/2004, 1:44 PM
I totally agree with Pablo, $hels are the only irish team I wouldn't support in europe,when they get beaten they can't accept it, last season when sligo knocked them out they went looking for the match to be replayed, in 2002 they got Pats deducted 15 points just to make sure they'd win the league,Drogheda beat them a few weeks ago and Ollie a a tantrum. I was delighted when Hibernians knocked them out a few years back and I hope Deportivo stuff them. What excuse will Ollie have this time!

Slash/ED
09/08/2004, 1:46 PM
ok they have a "fan" i said "fans" :D

well maybe this run will get you more support but i doubt it.

i witnessed you beating us to win the league at home in front of no more than 1000 people

i think that night my dislike of shels reached a new height and not because they won the league(i went on the pitch and clapped) but because of the 90% emty stadium. It made me sick

I believe we had the third highest average attendence last year, a few hundred behind the 'good supporters' of Bohs. Our stadium is half empty because it's the biggest in the EL, simple really, there was alot more than 1,000 people at that Cork match. Our fanbase is is no less than the average EL teams fanbase yet we always get the no fans thing, which confuses me as much as anything

liamon
09/08/2004, 1:48 PM
I hope they do well, maybe even win the home game. But I don't want them to go through. I'd support Bohs/Longford/Waterford/anyone else who got into this position, but I genuinely fear for our league's competitivness if $h€l$ were to access that sort of cash.

As for increased investment in eL clubs following on from this - wouldn't it mainly go to $h€l$? Investors/Advertisers want to support successful teams. Ferrari make millions from sponsors, while Minardi struggle to get backing. The gap widens with every season.

I was thrilled to see Shels get this far, but that's the end of the line for me.

Pablo
09/08/2004, 1:50 PM
I believe we had the third highest average attendence last year, a few hundred behind the 'good supporters' of Bohs. Our stadium is half empty because it's the biggest in the EL, simple really, there was alot more than 1,000 people at that Cork match. Our fanbase is is no less than the average EL teams fanbase yet we always get the no fans thing, which confuses me as much as anything

i dont think there was mate. very poor crowd. should have been a sell out.

do you accept the reasons why i dont like shelbourne?

Slash/ED
09/08/2004, 1:51 PM
As for increased investment in eL clubs following on from this - wouldn't it mainly go to $h€l$?

Not really. If Shels were to make the group stages of even the UEFA cup investers would be thinking, why can't Cork? It would show that if you put money into an EL side, like Cork, they would be capable of doing something in Europe. It would help attract investers for every club.

Slash/ED
09/08/2004, 1:53 PM
i dont think there was mate. very poor crowd. should have been a sell out.

do you accept the reasons why i dont like shelbourne?

A sell out would be 11,500. I would love to see the day any EL league game gets 11,500 but we're a long way off it. I doubt the crowd would have been much better if it was Bohs in the same position.

And I fully understand why people don't like us, that's fair enough, it's just the no fans thing when we clearly have a fanbase no worse than most EL sides is more confusing than anything else. Still, if that's all most of you have on us, that's fine ;)

liamon
09/08/2004, 2:09 PM
.. If Shels were to make the group stages of even the UEFA cup investers would be thinking, why can't Cork? ....
But would anyone really think, why can't Dublin City? Limerick? I don't think the majority of clubs would gain from this. The success of Celtic or Rosenborg hasn't helped their domestic leagues.
Thanks for the offer to get us extra investment, but we'll manage on our own. CCFC will attract sponsors from European expsoure, but we'll do that anyway based on the fact that we're just wonderful. :)

Pablo
09/08/2004, 2:11 PM
i've started so i'll finish

assault
cheating
thuggery
pushing referee's
ollie byrne whinging on Sky!

i could go on even more

I hate Shelbourne :mad:

DolansWaistcoat
09/08/2004, 2:22 PM
Totally disagree with ya bud,i'll be cheering shels all the way and I don't know where all these others are who are hoping they lose because most ppl i've talked to are backing shels.As someone else said,they're an IRISH club against a top team from the best league in europe,why would we even think about not supporting them.Support your own because no one else will.We have enough ppl knocking our league without our own fans knocking our teams doing well in europe for a change.

COME ON SHELS!!!

adamcarr
09/08/2004, 2:33 PM
Ill be going for Deportivo on Wednesday. As what Pablo said and Imagine the $hit load of cash they will get! :eek:
DEPORTIVO TIL I DIE ;)

thecorner
09/08/2004, 2:35 PM
after thinking long and hard about this and im with pablo,ive got balls also

i hope shels are hammered,humiliated.

was with them until now,but a hammering will see them coming to the cross with heads down on saturday.

was content to see them doing well all along(EVEN THOUGH NOT CHEERING FOR THEM) but now im thinking of my team

UP THE REBEL ARMY

Pablo
09/08/2004, 2:38 PM
after thinking long and hard about this and im with pablo,ive got balls also

i hope shels are hammered,humiliated.

was with them until now,but a hammering will see them coming to the cross with heads down on saturday.

was content to see them doing well all along(EVEN THOUGH NOT CHEERING FOR THEM) but now im thinking of my team

UP THE REBEL ARMY

and contrary to earlier post most city fans do think like this

wait

they will post

patsh
09/08/2004, 3:14 PM

They kick their way through the eL? What a load of sh ite. Time to grow up. It doesn't take balls to support Depor this week, just a very very small mind.So given that you think this one fan speaks for some 50 odd million Italians, does this mean that Pablo speaks for all us Irish?
I hope $h£l$ do well, but won't bother me if they don't.

drummerboy
09/08/2004, 3:18 PM
I'm not a Shels supporter but I think it is a sad reflection on Cork City supporters, if as posted above, they will be hoping Shels get humiliated.. The vast majority of football fans in this country were delighted to see Cork do so well in the InterToto – for the EL and for Cork. This run of Shels is bound to benefit the standing of the entire league. Most importantly it will make an impression of young school going kids, who up to now have probably regarded EL clubs as naff. It is a time when we can introduce these kids to the EL in a positive light

ccfcgirl
09/08/2004, 3:28 PM
I THINK IF THIS WAS PUT ON A POLL most city fans would be backing shels, this is a team from IRELAND playing football at the highest level ,keeping loi alive on the european side of football .come on the shels

tiktok
09/08/2004, 3:31 PM
....but I think it is a sad reflection on Cork City supporters, if as posted above, they will be hoping Shels get humiliated..

There's loads of threads on this and while there may be more anti-Shels posts, I think if you read through you'll find there are more pro-Shels posters (or at leats CCFC fans who hope they give a good account of themselves and the league.)

paudie
09/08/2004, 3:39 PM
"Pablo's comments are no more than begrudgery of the worst kind and I don't think the majority of Cork City supporters agree with him."

I take great offence to that paudie its something i feel strongly about and i'm entitled to my opinion how dare you.

How dare I what?

All I expressed was my opinion that your comments are begrudging towards Shels. Of course you're entitled to your opinion as well.

Flynninio
09/08/2004, 3:49 PM
Pablo nobody wants to hear anymore of your depressing thoughts.this league has been knocked for years and we have all had to put up with it.shells are the best run club by a mile in the country. ollie byrne is a plug but as i have said before we would love him as chairman city would probably be winning the champions league by now ;)
with our fanbase he would have made serious progress.of course we would love to see city where they are but we not this yr.they have to do well after longford and bohs digracing us.

Countyman
09/08/2004, 3:50 PM
The el needs a club to make the group phase of the champions league.
If its shels fair play to them or any other team for that matter.

This league needs every ounce of publicity it can get. I'll be in lansdowne rooting for them on wednesday.

As someone else said though we all have the right to follow whoever we want.
Its a pity though that for this week at least the hatred cant be put on the back burner for the sake of an eircom league team on the verge of a great achievement.

Next year it could be cork!

all the best shels.

Shelsman
09/08/2004, 5:06 PM
I'm not a Shels supporter but I think it is a sad reflection on Cork City supporters, if as posted above, they will be hoping Shels get humiliated.. The vast majority of football fans in this country were delighted to see Cork do so well in the InterToto – for the EL and for Cork. This run of Shels is bound to benefit the standing of the entire league. Most importantly it will make an impression of young school going kids, who up to now have probably regarded EL clubs as naff. It is a time when we can introduce these kids to the EL in a positive light

I agree. This whole debate is ridiculous. I was at Turner's Cross to bellowing out my lungs to support City against NEC and Nantes. If ye are sore about Shels ( and I can understand about Ollie Byrne ) then berate them in the league and other domestic competitions. Not supporting an Irish club in Europe is like not supporting the Ireland team.

eoinh
09/08/2004, 5:51 PM
Not supporting Shels in Europe is not Supporting Cork city.

The stuff about celtic is rubbish as celtic became big and then had limited suvccess in Europe - not the other way round.

Norway is the same - all you have to do is look at the way Norwegain clubs do in Europe compared to their neighbours. The stadium facilities all over Norway - even up in the Arctic Circle.

Rosenbourgs grip is loosening and shels wont get bt Depor - its impossible but good luck to them

thecorner
09/08/2004, 6:05 PM
but as i have said before we would love him as chairman city would .

speak for yourself

im happy with lennox

Sheridan
09/08/2004, 6:06 PM
they have no fans.
They have at least as many fans as 90% of eircom League clubs. What they don't have, or didn't have until a few weeks ago, is/was bandwagoners and sunshine supporters who only sing when they're winning.

They are good reasons for dislking Shelbourne. There are even vaguely understandable (if spiteful, small-minded and parochial) reasons for hoping they lose to Depor. Yours are just lame.

Dr.Nightdub
09/08/2004, 6:34 PM
I don't want to see Shels going through. Wouldn't mind too much if they win the home leg for the good of the co-efficient then get tanked over in Spain.

My reasons are nothing to do with Shels as they're currently run / Ollie / all the "previous" between Pats and Shels. I'd be saying the same thing if it was Bohs or Cork or anyone else on the edge of what Shels are on - enough moolah to leave the rest of us eating their suddenly-expensive dust.

All this "for the good of the League" talk is utter cráp - how does it benefit the League if, for example, Shels earn enough money to entice Hunt and Crowe away from Bohs. The rest of us will spend our the remainder of our lives competing for second place. People have referred to the Rosenborg scenario - they've won the Norwegian league twelve years running. That's not good for any League.

If more people start going to Shels' league games on account of their exploits to date, well and good. THAT'S how you can measure whether there's any knock-on benefit to the League. Look at last week - Shels get all the media coverage for knocking out Hadjuk - and rightly so. Two days later, Pats play Cork (who also got a lot of positive press for their Intertoto expolits) in the only LoI match on in Dublin last weekend. Barely 1500 people there.

THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO THE LEAGUE FROM SHELS KNOCKING OUT DEPOR.

There would undoubtedly be a huge benefit to Shels. The barstoolers who everyone is so keen to impress would simply change their tune from "The whole LoI is sh1te, I'm not going to it" to "The whole LoI bar Shels is sh1te, but I might go watch Shels play in the CL". Anyone who thinks any other club will gain as well is being ridiculously delusional.

eoinh
09/08/2004, 7:19 PM
That is barmy. Rosenbourg have a tiny budget in European league Terms -€6million. Rosenbourg got their act together and then dominated the league and did well in Europe. Norway is the only country were one team dominates so much because of suppsed European success. name one other country! Norwegian football has progressed at all levels.

I cant believe people here are hoping shels dont do well.

Our league is laughed at, ignored, ridiculed. The ordinary joe in the street thinks its ****e. One good result in Europe wont make a difference - it has to be all the clubs in Europe on a fairly regular basis.

The idea that attendances wont rise because our clubs do well in UEFA competition is not mirrored in any other country that has improved its rankings. Improve your rankings = improved attendances = more money for investment = better players, stadiums etc.

A slovenian team got to the champions league and didnt dominate their country, ditto for all the other countries

thecorner
09/08/2004, 8:48 PM
dont even know why we are having this topic

shels wont and never will beat deportivo

not now,not next year,not ever

so for the fact that you know they wont go through,im hoping they get hammered and heads will be dowbn when they travel to the cross

onceahoop
09/08/2004, 8:54 PM
[ i dont care who supports City as long as the Corkonians do because i know if we do well our support will be massive.

i know theres lots more here[/QUOTE]

I know if we do well our support will be massive.That sums youse up. You only sing when your winning.

City Hero
09/08/2004, 9:12 PM
Norway is the only country were one team dominates so much because of suppsed European success. name one other country!

Scotland get 2 Champions League places, put that with all the extra support that Celtic & Rangers get from people who latch onto them because of their respective backgrounds, and it all adds up to a mickey mouse league bar the top two.

Slash/ED
09/08/2004, 9:14 PM
The Old Firm would dominate Scotland even without Europe. If Hearts qualifyed one year chances are rangers and celtic would still share the title between them the next.

tiktok
09/08/2004, 9:25 PM
You only sing when your winning.

Don't upset the hoops fan, they don't even get that option anymore ;)

There'll be enough 'barstoolers' who'll tell us our league 'is still sh!te' when Shels go out
There'll be enough 'armchair experts' who won't recognise half the Depor team and will therefore assume it's a weakened one.
There'll be enough 'neutrals' who'll cheer should Shels concede a goal on Wednesday
There'll be enough 'pundits' who'll tell us an EL player will never be at that standard
There'll be enough 'armchair experts' that will watch the Manchester United Qualifier on TV3

I'll be f*cked if I'm going to add my voice to that bullsh!t

Some team had to make the step up, while we all wish it could be our own it's great that one finally has.
Do yourselves and the League Proud Shels.

eoinh
09/08/2004, 10:01 PM
Scotland get 2 Champions League places, put that with all the extra support that Celtic & Rangers get from people who latch onto them because of their respective backgrounds, and it all adds up to a mickey mouse league bar the top two.

i know what youre saying. My point is that europe didnt make celtic and rangers strong in scotland - its due to domestic scottish reasons

eoinh
09/08/2004, 10:02 PM
dont even know why we are having this topic

shels wont and never will beat deportivo

not now,not next year,not ever

so for the fact that you know they wont go through,im hoping they get hammered and heads will be dowbn when they travel to the cross

Theres no way you can make a statement like that.

not ever is a long time.....

Pablo
09/08/2004, 10:48 PM
some interesting points lads.

i'm entitled to my opinions. as are you.

but i support one team. the rebel army and i'll neversupport another.

i dont care about shels i want them to get 2 kickings this week one in dublin and one in Cork

thecorner
09/08/2004, 11:23 PM
Theres no way you can make a statement like that.

not ever is a long time.....

shels will never ever knock deportivo out of europe

there ya go,statement made

thecorner
09/08/2004, 11:24 PM
some interesting points lads.

i'm entitled to my opinions. as are you.

but i support one team. the rebel army and i'll neversupport another.

i dont care about shels i want them to get 2 kickings this week one in dublin and one in Cork

i like you're opinions

UP THE REBEL ARMY!!!!!! EH

Colm
09/08/2004, 11:30 PM
I've got to say lads while I always want el teams to do well in Europe, it's a totally different matter when it comes to Shels.
They are a bunch of thugs who think they can do what they like and would gladly see all other clubs destoryed if it meant they would get some personal gain from it.
Ollie Byrne is a disgrace to the human race and if it wasn't for him I'd consider supporting Shels.
Why do City fans want them to do well though? Considering the clubs horrible attitude towards Pat Dolan and CCFC in recent times, we owe them nothing but bad wishes.
I might even go to the game on Wednesday but I'll go as a City fan who wants to see a Champions league game involving one of Europes top clubs. I'll be hoping Shels pick up a few injuries so that it will be even easier for us to humiliate them on Saturday.
Anyway, City achievments in Europe were far better.... Malmo and NEC are a lot better than Rekyvick and Hajduk. There were 508 members of the Rebel Army in Nantes, I wonder how many Shels will bring to Spain?!

Roll on Saturday when the thugs come to town and face the mighty Rebel Army. Come on City!

Slash/ED
09/08/2004, 11:35 PM
Anyway, City achievments in Europe were far better.... Malmo and NEC are a lot better than Rekyvick and Hajduk. There were 508 members of the Rebel Army in Nantes, I wonder how many Shels will bring to Spain?!

My arse. Cork made the quater finals of the inter toto cup. If they won that competition they would have gotten a place in the first round qualifyers of the UEFA cup. The worst Shels can get now is a place in the first round qualifyers in the UEFA cup, in other words the worst we can do is equal what you would have got had you won the whole competition.

Pablo
10/08/2004, 12:12 AM
cant wait for saturday now. even thinking about that poxy clubs get my blood boiling :mad:

onceahoop
10/08/2004, 12:24 AM
cant wait for saturday now. even thinking about that poxy clubs get my blood boiling :mad:

You've got one large chip on your shoulder. What about the coefficient. It benefits all the EL Clubs.

I've read your posts on the Irishleagueforums as well and all I can say is that your one sad ba****d.

Pablo
10/08/2004, 12:31 AM
You've got one large chip on your shoulder. What about the coefficient. It benefits all the EL Clubs.

I've read your posts on the Irishleagueforums as well and all I can say is that your one sad ba****d.

Because i love my own team and dont like one of our rivals? i must be unique in football then :rolleyes:

Once again we can depend on a Hoop to add an intelligent comment to a discussion

onceahoop
10/08/2004, 12:44 AM
Because i love my own team and dont like one of our rivals? i must be unique in football then :rolleyes:

Once again we can depend on a Hoop to add an intelligent comment to a discussion

Maybe we can see the bigger picture.

adamcarr
10/08/2004, 12:49 AM
Maybe we can see the bigger picture.
The bigger picture....$hel$ running away with the EL with all there prize money! :rolleyes: