PDA

View Full Version : RTE Petition

Pages : [1] 2

DCFC2004
10/06/2004, 11:58 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/el12004/petition.html

591 signatures already on the petition, great stuff!!

Please keep it going

Admin/Moderators: Any chance of making this a sticky??

:)

adamcarr
14/06/2004, 11:47 PM
Its reached 600! :)

corkharps
16/06/2004, 9:52 AM
Setanta starting new sports channel,anybody hear anything?

pete
16/06/2004, 11:17 AM
Todat FM said be provided on NTL digi service. Probably still pay per view at start cos only weekend matches but programmes during week from january 2005 so could be non pay per view then.

trevy
16/06/2004, 1:34 PM
Todat FM said be provided on NTL digi service. Probably still pay per view at start cos only weekend matches but programmes during week from january 2005 so could be non pay per view then.

Its free on ntl basic service as far as I can make out so won't cost any extra to get it.It weekend only from August and then full broadcast from January on.Its going to show live Premiership matches and Scottish games.No mention of the Eircom League though.The FAI should have made sure TV3 gave proper coverage to the Eircom League when they sold the rights!Any sign of Eircom League weekly coming back or is it a case of maybe next week till the end of the season?

Colm
16/06/2004, 6:26 PM
Admin/Moderators: Any chance of making this a sticky??

I've made it a sticky for you and will leave it that way for a week or two to maximise the number of signatures you get.

tbh though, I don't think it will have any effect as RTE simply don't care and are a pathetic excuse for a national broadcaster. Still, it's definately worth a try and at least it gives people a way to show their dissatisfaction.

Slash/ED
16/06/2004, 6:54 PM
I think you should also send a copy to Setanta and TG4, even though it's directed at RTE, to show both there's a market there for the EL as both could be in a position to cover the league now since Setanta have come along and are looking for programes and have taken the Celtic League rights from TG4.

SuperSaints
18/06/2004, 3:17 PM
What are the details of the contract that was signed with TV3? Do they have exclusive coverage?

Macy
18/06/2004, 3:26 PM
What are the details of the contract that was signed with TV3? Do they have exclusive coverage?
No, anyone can show eL. They just have to have a weekly highlights showing 2 games and so many live matches a year, which of course they wouldn't dream of not fulfilling :rolleyes:

SuperSaints
18/06/2004, 3:44 PM
So basically they can just do what they like. If the ladders can support Mr. Welchs slimfast diet they'll show it. It's an awful pity the media is such a joke in this country

TheSaint2002
23/06/2004, 6:30 PM
It's an awful pity the media is such a joke in this country

They might say its a pity the league is such a joke.

TheSaint2002
09/07/2004, 2:14 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/WREXHAM/petition.html

now here is a petition that might do something not knocking lads but if you go to RTE with 600 odd people they will just laugh you need numbers like the above to get anything out of them.

DCFC2004
12/07/2004, 12:31 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/WREXHAM/petition.html

now here is a petition that might do something not knocking lads but if you go to RTE with 600 odd people they will just laugh you need numbers like the above to get anything out of them.

Hiya
Rather than criticising the petition to RTE why don't you spend a bit of time passing the link onto as many contacts as possible? IF you haven't already done so?

It doesn't matter about comparisons to other petitions, sure that could be done with 1,000s of similar petitions as it always depends on the subject matter.

What matters is getting the petition to RTE to show them that a certain amount of their viewers are UNHAPPY (and that's just those with access to internet).

We all have to start SOMEWHERE, it's easier to criticise than take action.

adamcarr
12/07/2004, 12:43 PM
STephen Quigley of Pats has signed the petition NO. 697. But I doubt it is authentic! :rolleyes:

harpskid
12/07/2004, 12:56 PM
511 is Finn Harps' Kevin Mc Hugh :rolleyes:

ccfcman
12/07/2004, 1:53 PM
#699 on mine!

DolansWaistcoat
12/07/2004, 2:05 PM
I'm the big 700

Rebal Boy
12/07/2004, 7:27 PM
I'm no. 704. When are ye sending it in? :ball:

DCFC2004
13/07/2004, 12:58 AM
It will be printed out (after editing) and delivered to RTE in person as part of a wider campaign and not just some online petition on it's own.

It will at least help to do something to sort out the mess we are in at present.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks for all of the support

And, before I forget, CONGRATULATIONS CORK CITY FC !! Well done to all!!

:) :) :) :) :)

martin_rules_ie
14/07/2004, 2:53 PM
I had an idea. Maybe this has been thought of but then again maybe not. I was thinkin about that online petition that is going to be sent to RTE.
Well i was thinkin of doing a petition another way.
How many people in the country attend eircom League matches on average on a Friday/Saturday? If a petition was typed up and available for download then people could print it off and photocopy some sheets with tables for signature, comments, addresses etc.
I'm sure each eircom league clubs respective fan clubs would be interested in aiding this petition. The clubs could be contacted and asked for support also.
There needs to be a large scale movement to make a petition work. What do you guys think? The petitions sheets could be signed by lots of people after or before matches or maybe people could stand on patricks (obviously you can't if you don't live in cork) street and ask for support??? I'd be interested in helping out?
This petition should then be sent to not just RTE but TG4, Setanta and that crowd TV3.
ALL SUPPORTERS OF ALL CLUBS SHOULD CONSIDER THIS!!!

Dazzy
14/07/2004, 4:59 PM
Well this was posted on the derry fourm:

Setanta fell out with the FAI a while back, but sent them an email asking if they are going to show eL games anyway. This is what I got back:

"We believe so. Discussions with the league are advanced.
Please keep an eye on the website for an announcement soon."

martin_rules_ie
15/07/2004, 11:28 AM
that is good news but the chances are that they will be paper view. it is encouraging news but i still think that we should be able watch our national league on terrestrial tv. is any1 interested in making this petition work. it woud work for sure with enuf people and effort!

pete
15/07/2004, 11:34 AM
Petitions a waste of time as no one likes to be forced to do anything..

Fans should concentrat on supporting their teams or bringing people to games. FAI & clubs make irish football a product worth showing.

sadloserkid
15/07/2004, 12:47 PM
that is good news but the chances are that they will be paper view.

There's no way in hell that eircom League matches will be pay-per-view. The casual Man Yoo fan on the couch might watch Bohs and Pats if it happens to be on on a Wednesday night but he ain't gonna pay for the honour.

martin_rules_ie
15/07/2004, 5:20 PM
lads, theres no point in being so pesimistic. i think its worth a try. if eircom league clubs were contacted and asked to support the movement it could add to the seriousness of this petition. on corkcityfootie.com the majority of people agreed it would be a good idea. if this was done at a number of eircom league club grounds for a few consecutive weeks and only a fraction of people signed then 10,000 atleast would be on the petition. this could work, think about. an audience of 10,000 people is not to be sneezed at. it is feesable, setanta are already lookin in to it. all we need is people to say they are interested in petitioning in their local grounds around the country. surely some supporter groups would be willing to help!?!?!?!!?

martin_rules_ie
15/07/2004, 5:53 PM
just had good news,
a poster on corkcityfootie.com has just posted that the chairman of the bray wanderers supporters club has backed the petition all the way. i have emailed the petition to them now. any1 else interested in helping out???

eoinh
15/07/2004, 10:46 PM
Irish clubs have played seven games in Europe this season. Not one highlights programme or live match. Disgrace!

That new head of RTE sport was appointed today.

adamcarr
15/07/2004, 10:55 PM
Well what do you expect - It is RTE! :rolleyes:

martin_rules_ie
15/07/2004, 11:04 PM
if you wanna help change this then read my thread entitled 'Please Read Everybody!!!!!!!!'
trust me its worth it

exile
16/07/2004, 4:53 AM
lads im a cork city fan living in bray and couple of us el fans have put together a petition to try and get rte/tv3 to show el matches i was wondering can anyone in bray give us a dig out before a bray match in the next couple of weeks just to stand outside the ground or inside and get people to sign it your help would be much appreciated

Macy
16/07/2004, 7:58 AM
Sure it's okay, they did cover UCD ladies team who are off to play in Europe, in the same 6-1 broadcast in which they barely mention Bohs or Longfords games :rolleyes:

Roo69
16/07/2004, 8:01 AM
lads im a cork city fan living in bray and couple of us el fans have put together a petition to try and get rte/tv3 to show el matches i was wondering can anyone in bray give us a dig out before a bray match in the next couple of weeks just to stand outside the ground or inside and get people to sign it your help would be much appreciated

Im sure we can sort something out for ya, will have a word to see what we can do

gspain
16/07/2004, 8:46 AM
They are improving Aertel managed to get all the European results right and within 5 minutes of BBC Ceefax.

We've been screwed by the TV deal really and thegovernment. RTE have no interest in showing domestic football. they have all the national team's games anyway. The GAA have no doubt done a deal that if RTE want the decent games they must show laod san dloads of crap ones as well. The F.A.I. have their hands tied now.

It is a disgrace that RTE ar eusing licence payers money to buy premiership football and not cover the domestic game.

The new head guy of Sport is the former head of GAA coverage so he is hardly going to be any more sympathetic towards football. Niall cogley was a rugby man and hence the great coverag eof the All Ireland league eventhoguh most Dublin clubs cast envious glances at the likes of UCD and Dublin City due to their relatively hige support. :)

What really irks though is that RTE get great figures for their broadcasts - Bohs vv Pats had 200,000 viewers last season - that's more than the Premiership that week.

Shels home game should be live next week. Both legs of Nantes v Cork should also be live instead they'll hardly get a mention and Aertel will report Shels lost to a late converted try after their batsman was bowled out for a duck.

pete
16/07/2004, 9:28 AM
I'd prefer highlights of all games than showing one or other game live.

Do RTE still have that exclusive deal wirth shel$ that meant they only showed their games?

PaulB
16/07/2004, 11:37 AM
To be fair the print media haven't been a lot better. The Irish Times and Irish Independent had about 10 lines for the shels game on Wednesday!

You'll see they'll suddenly start jumping on the bandwagon if shels get through to the 2nd qualifying round.

exile
16/07/2004, 2:09 PM
thanks roo just pm and let me know whatever

martin_rules_ie
16/07/2004, 5:41 PM
fair play roo. good work exile, your the man.

TheSaint2002
16/07/2004, 6:56 PM
The herald was surprising I thought half of the back page had a picture of Shels and a headline Irish in Europe etc the three pages back from that were all eircom League :eek:

dynamo kerry
16/07/2004, 7:21 PM
To be fair the print media haven't been a lot better. The Irish Times and Irish Independent had about 10 lines for the shels game on Wednesday!

You'll see they'll suddenly start jumping on the bandwagon if shels get through to the 2nd qualifying round.

the indo online had a full aticle on the match- did it not see print in the paper- twas a good bit more than 10 lines

same for the other two games and cork gor a fair anmoutn of column inches

I havent seen the irish times lately though

pete
16/07/2004, 8:05 PM
No need to post in every forum. Everyone will see in EL General.

martin_rules_ie
16/07/2004, 8:11 PM
theres been some developments. aswell as bray supporters club, now the programme editor of the UCD match programme has given his support and intends to get the petition signed while he is selling programmes (thanks for the tip, tiktok!).
also the creator of the online petition for el coverage, who is located in derry, will petition at the brandywell. he said he is in support of this petition. i am working on getting another guy petitioning at the pike rovers ground in limerick.
things are beginning to take shape!! any1 interested in petitioning, just pm me or email me martin_rules_ie@hotmail.com
this will work with support and effort

pineapple stu
16/07/2004, 8:54 PM
now the programme editor of the UCD match programme has given his support and intends to get the petition signed while he is selling programmes (thanks for the tip, tiktok!).

:confused: :confused: News to me...

martin_rules_ie
16/07/2004, 9:03 PM
i was told by tiktok that schumi was the UCD programme editor. i pm-ed schumi and he said he'll get the petitioned signed while sellin programmes. is he not the editor? :confused: :confused:

dynamo kerry
16/07/2004, 10:04 PM
An unfortunate thought has occured to me and I'd like to put it out there for debate.

Even 15,000 EL fans signs a petition about getting it on tv- there's a problem

these are the people going to the games, ergo there's no one at home to watch them.

if the games were actually full every week then there'd be a case- - supply and demand

I have a feeling something someone here said yesterday is the best

keep bringing people to games , grassroots will do this. not magical tv coverage

Slash/ED
16/07/2004, 10:09 PM
Just change the televised matches to a different time to all the other matches like what they do in England.

dynamo kerry
16/07/2004, 10:13 PM
ah- you spotted a flaw in my flaw

but stil you see my point regarding how there's not a huge demand if the games are barely getting more than 4 or 5K in crowds

Slash/ED
16/07/2004, 10:44 PM
Well people who don't goto matches still watch EL footie on the TV, the ratings figures for matches last year were very impressive, iirc some of the matches RTE showed beat their premiership and champions league coverage.

martin_rules_ie
16/07/2004, 10:53 PM
barstoolers and the like could not be bothered there arses to go to an el ground. it would be less of an effort to fly to a manu game for them. so televised games might appeal to them and with luck convert them! also the extra income for the clubs from tv rights is a major reason to petition

A face
16/07/2004, 10:56 PM
Well people who don't goto matches still watch EL footie on the TV, the ratings figures for matches last year were very impressive, iirc some of the matches RTE showed beat their premiership and champions league coverage.

And those figures were their own ..... they cant hide it, it is nearly a cert that if they showed a game a week it would take off. Even if they just tried out a game a month to start.

martin_rules_ie
16/07/2004, 11:01 PM
theres seems to be alot of positive response to this petition. does any1 want to help out at their local ground, and make this a reality?
pm me if you like