PDA

View Full Version : Shel Rumour on Match Fixing

Pages : [1] 2

A face
30/08/2011, 1:08 PM
Folks, i dont know if there is an substance to this but os there an investigation into match fixing .... or more to the point, the accusation is that Shels threw the cup game against Sheirff YFC so they wouldn't have to play further rounds.

To be honest i think its lame .... the goals scored in the second were all screamers so they could hardly fix that. If those lads didn't take the shots then nothing would have come of them.

Where is this at right now?

corkharps
30/08/2011, 1:18 PM
Shels don't and never have cheated!......

pineapple stu
30/08/2011, 1:22 PM
Already being discussed at length in the weekend latest thread.

Dan6189
30/08/2011, 2:14 PM
To throw a game you have to perform badly not what happened Friday apparently sheriff just took their goals amazingly well, I'd say it's poppycock.

Macy
30/08/2011, 2:57 PM
Not sure you can judge on performance alone, you'd have to see the betting patterns. And even then, who'd trust a bookie, especially one looking to avoid paying out? However, there's a fair amount of anecdotal stuff (from before and after the game) floating about that really doesn't look good.

bluewhitearmy
30/08/2011, 3:04 PM
To throw a game you have to perform badly not what happened Friday apparently sheriff just took their goals amazingly well, I'd say it's poppycock.

According to Shels fans at the game Shels played very badly and put in no effort so dont know where you got thats not what happened from.

de bowez
30/08/2011, 3:17 PM
Not sure you can judge on performance alone, you'd have to see the betting patterns. And even then, who'd trust a bookie, especially one looking to avoid paying out? However, there's a fair amount of anecdotal stuff (from before and after the game) floating about that really doesn't look good.

The price came in from 11/1 to 7/2 and Boyles at least had gotten word that the fix was on that afternoon and were taking max bets of a tenner on the game.

Word also went around the boards.ie gambling forum prematch that it was fixed, also discussed on other gambling forums here and in England before the game apparently.

Easier to score stunning goals when defenders stand off and the keeper isnĀ“t on form.

ifk101
30/08/2011, 3:23 PM
The price came in from 11/1 to 7/2 and Boyles at least had gotten word that the fix was on that afternoon and were taking max bets of a tenner on the game.

If they suspected a fix they'd just suspend betting on the game.

de bowez
30/08/2011, 3:25 PM
If they suspected a fix they'd just suspend betting on the game.

Not true. They get word on all sorts of games, they reduce max bet to reduce liability but they cant just suspend loads of markets every week.

ifk101
30/08/2011, 3:33 PM
They'll reduce max bets on accounts they deem "uneconomical" regardless. Winning accounts are flagged.

Limits on games involving non-league sides are usually low anyways.

de bowez
30/08/2011, 3:36 PM
They'll reduce max bets on accounts they deem "uneconomical" regardless. Winning accounts are flagged.

Limits on games involving non-league sides are usually low anyways.

Absolutely, especially so in Boyles case but I do know for a fact that they got word on the day that there was a good chance the game was fixed.

None of that proves that the game was fixed but it certainly looks bad.

fionnsci
30/08/2011, 3:43 PM
Read the thread on the Shels forum, some pretty damning stuff. They missed a penalty terribly and there was chat of the match fixing on a forum in Liverpool before the game, as well as boards.

bluewhitearmy
30/08/2011, 3:47 PM
Seems way too much of a coincidence to me if someone jokingly put up that the game was going to be fixed for Shels H/T Sheriff F/T and then it happens.

People that say the goals could not be fixed it would be very very easy for a keeper to let the 1st 2 in. Hughes penalty just doesnt seem right either.

bluewhitearmy
30/08/2011, 3:50 PM
http://vimeo.com/28262172

outspoken
30/08/2011, 4:03 PM
I'd rather not believe these rumors but in the last few days I've found myself doubting Shels, that stuff on the forums looks very bad and I just got the feeling something wasnt right when I watched the highlights, its very easy to stand off your line and wave your arms around and let it fly past ya and thats what it looks like and that peno was awful + the fact he showed no emotion whats so ever after missing it very strange game indeed

MagicMon
30/08/2011, 4:07 PM
The reaction to the miss is pretty odd. Even at 2-0 up you'd think any player would be p*ssed off at ballooning a penalty like that.

outspoken
30/08/2011, 4:10 PM
He was leaning back from the moment he hit it

El-Pietro
30/08/2011, 4:31 PM
im convinced he scoops it. if he drilled it and it went over that would be one thing

this could all be so obvious to us because we are looking for something at the same time and if we hadn't heard anything we might not be half as suspicious watching the highlights

MagicMon
30/08/2011, 4:35 PM
He might have been leaning back to try to see the ball past his belly

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 4:49 PM
im convinced he scoops it. if he drilled it and it went over that would be one thing

this could all be so obvious to us because we are looking for something at the same time and if we hadn't heard anything we might not be half as suspicious watching the highlights

In fairness this was mentioned during the live commentary on the night on ShelsChat.
So I wouldn't be thinking that you're over thinking it if I were you.

nigel-harps1954
30/08/2011, 4:59 PM
I'd say it's over-thinking the situation alright with the penalty. I hadn't heard a thing about match fixing before seeing the highlights on MNS and to be honest I'd just passed it off as a bad penalty and nothing suspicious in it.

It's most likely nothing and someone just looking to have a go at Shels. They're just an easy target given their past.

total hoofball
30/08/2011, 5:08 PM
Folks, i dont know if there is an substance to this but os there an investigation into match fixing .... or more to the point, the accusation is that Shels threw the cup game against Sheirff YFC so they wouldn't have to play further rounds.

To be honest i think its lame .... the goals scored in the second were all screamers so they could hardly fix that. If those lads didn't take the shots then nothing would have come of them.

Where is this at right now?

10 minute highlights don't show the context of the game. The goals were spectacular but Sheriff were utterly battering them from the start of 2nd half I've no doubt they would have eventually scored 3 goals before the 90 minutes.

My observations from watching the game live:

First half

Shels generally played ok. Their two goals were fantastic example of pass and movement that would grace the PD. Some players were playing poorly and making strange decisions, it could be put down to playing ****e, but because Shels were in control of match scoreline and holding most of the ball so its hard to find anything suspicious. Sheriff looked a Junior side. Defence looked slow and for the taking, forwards ineffective but their midfield was competitive. Only sniff at goals were from Shels making defensive errors.

Second half

Shels were a completely different team. Losing Kevin Dawson at H/T may have effected their midfield but in reality Shels never kept hold of the ball and were inviting Sheriff to attack them. Shels defence became very clumsy. Passing became awful thus the ball retention from the first half was gone. It was highly noticeable some players not closing Sheriff down. Some players, usually disciplined were begging to give fouls away at any opportunity. One player I noticed lost about 3 yards of pace from the first half. I noticed another player running in the opposite direction from the ball as it was coming to him. Sheriff were winning most headers easily. Very strange penalty too. Shels showed no reaction when they went 3-2 down which I feel was most damning. Sheriff players were struggling with cramp at this stage too and weren't exploited. Shels players clearly were not trying. I'm not retrospectively analyzing this, I was thinking this as I was watching it, I only became aware of the Sheriff betting mania speaking to someone leaving the ground. Sheriff do deserve their moment of glory, they showed great heart but lets not carried away, they're about Athlone Town level and Limerick should easily get past them.

I personally believe it was thrown. Too many coincidences pre match, too many conicidences and stange goings on during the match but saying who was in on it is obviously hard to prove. I may have gone OTT on the forum the other day saying it was 100% fixed and there were definitely half the team throwing it. Emotions running high there, I think something was up but to what extent among the team is hard to figure out. There are certain players I am suspicious about. It will be impossible to prove anything unless someone with insider knowledge says something. Otherwise I expect the 'scandal' to blow over but I think the club has to keep any eye on this stuff as there is a stink hanging over an another match, maybe two from the past few years.

The Lep
30/08/2011, 5:26 PM
I cant see the point of throwing the game, they are near certain of going up and had the chance of europe for either winning the cup or runners up. The extra 2 games wouldnt change their chances of promotion. I know things are not all well at shels with the players etc but throwing a cup match ? something serious must be happening at shels for them to throw it. ( If they did that is ). Could it be just a coincidence that the rumours came true and that shels just underestimated Sheriff? Would shels be banned from the cup for a few years if it was proved to be true?
Im sure Fingal will get the blame somehow knowing the shels heads :).
"I shot the sheriff, but i could not score the penalty " . :).

colinf
30/08/2011, 5:32 PM
im sure they werent throwing it so they can concentrate on the league ffs

legendz
30/08/2011, 6:57 PM
Shel's in their position are the last club that need to throw the game. It's their rivals more that anything that could do without the games.

De Town
30/08/2011, 7:01 PM
Jaysus lads, IF the game was thrown by Shels players, do ye honestly think it was to avoid more games on the run in?

The 18/1 that was available on a Sheriff win or the 66/1 that was available on Shels HT/Sheriff FT are much better reasons to throw a game then to avoid the potential extra games in the run in.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 7:18 PM
Really sick now at this stage that I couldn't get to this game so I wouldn't have such a coloured opinion on what happened before viewing the footage.

I'm going mad watching this game over and over. 2 things though are sticking out so much and it's not the lack of Shels effort in the second half.
It's in fact the lack of Sheriff effort in the first!
It seems that a team like them should not have been carved open oh so easily as they were for the Shels goals because up to that point they were doing okay.

Obv to ensure the HT/FT would come off you would have to go in at half time LOSING! Shels seemed to be making a bags of that as is their wont.

The second thing that stuck out to me was the body language of the Sheriff coach and the seeming lack of incredulity at the score, or should I say the presence of a feigned incredulity.

Anyway. I am going to have to watch it over and over until I'm satisfied that I haven't a clue.

PartySaint
30/08/2011, 7:42 PM
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/6554/eligibility-doubt-over-sheriff-yc-player/

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 7:57 PM
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/6554/eligibility-doubt-over-sheriff-yc-player/

Just coming in to post the same link... as if it couldn't get curiouser.

GalwayRed
30/08/2011, 8:01 PM
This was all part of our master plan.

Cuyahoga
30/08/2011, 8:10 PM
So in theory both clubs could be kicked out of the competition giving Limerick fc a bye to the semis.

Longfordian
30/08/2011, 8:10 PM
Good plan to be fair, clean up at the bookies and still go through.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 8:29 PM
So in theory both clubs could be kicked out of the competition giving Limerick fc a bye to the semis.

Not really. Surely if Sheriff are kicked out (unfairly so, ish, though I smell an FAI excuse rat here) that would render our game last Friday as null and void?

Wait til Friday. My brain hurts with all this bull.

Jofspring
30/08/2011, 8:54 PM
Not really. Surely if Sheriff are kicked out (unfairly so, ish, though I smell an FAI excuse rat here) that would render our game last Friday as null and void?

If Shels end up going through and we do play Shels instead what are the chances of a winner takes all, league and Cup match. We are down to play Shels on the 16th in Tolka anyway and it would be very handy for both :p ;)

On a serious note could this get really complicated? The draw was made having us away to Sheriff, if Shels go through will they automatically get rewarded the home advantage as well as being reinstated to the Cup.

Basically through no fault of our own we would have gone from having a game we realistically should be winning to a much tougher cup draw away to Shels. The FAI in turn get to screw Limerick with a much tougher quarter-final......take that conspiracy theorists.

CSFShels
30/08/2011, 9:01 PM
If Shels end up going through and we do play Shels instead what are the chances of a winner takes all, league and Cup match. We are down to play Shels on the 16th in Tolka anyway and it would be very handy for both :p ;)

On a serious note could this get really complicated? The draw was made having us away to Sheriff, if Shels go through will they automatically get rewarded the home advantage as well as being reinstated to the Cup.

Basically through no fault of our own we would have gone from having a game we realistically should be winning to a much tougher cup draw away to Shels. The FAI in turn get to screw Limerick with a much tougher quarter-final......take that conspiracy theorists.
It is of course bad luck for you, but it is the rules. We don't deserve to go through, not at all. The players made a joke of the club whether the game was thrown or not but rules are rules.

Lim till i die
Any chance Shels would throw the oul quarter, to concentrate on the league like??

On the whole match fixing thing, I heard a good one Saturday morning from a Dublin lad which would have made things interesting but nothing came of it so nothing will come of the whole thing. Even if the game was fixed (and it probably was) unless the players are utter morons there's no way of proving it. The best we any of us could hope for was to wind up a few Shels fans on the internetz. I tried but with ultimately very limited results. Nothing to see here folks. :ball:

gael353
Kicking sheriff out is the easiest option open to the FAI rather then any investigation and possible penalties like a points deduction against shels. This would only benifet one team and its not exactly a loved team of the abbotstown mafia....Limerick. The issue of the home game for a cup being awarded to shels is a point and maybe but i doubt it will happen the draw would have to take place again. To be fair to all parties Limerick should get a bye :D

CSFShels
30/08/2011, 9:04 PM
Kicking sheriff out is the easiest option open to the FAI rather then any investigation and possible penalties like a points deduction against shels. This would only benifet one team and its not exactly a loved team of the abbotstown mafia....Limerick. The issue of the home game for a cup being awarded to shels is a point and maybe but i doubt it will happen the draw would have to take place again. To be fair to all parties Limerick should get a bye :D
You are definitely clutching at straws there.

born2bwild
30/08/2011, 9:13 PM

Yeah, man. Tonight's match wouldn't have helped your headache - hasn't helped mine anyway. Spent more time talking to people about the 'scandal' than watching Shels misfiring on the few cylinders they have left at this point in the season. Got a really sour taste in my mouth about it all.

pineapple stu
31/08/2011, 8:22 AM
That'd be hilarious. Couldn't even throw a match properly. Just like Sligo's Albanians. The LoI is great. :p

Dodge
31/08/2011, 9:11 AM

Bookies have already paid out, so the gamblers won't care

Genius by all concerned.

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 9:26 AM
That'd be hilarious. Couldn't even throw a match properly. Just like Sligo's Albanians. The LoI is great. :p

It is quite something alright.

It's cat though that we will probably get through on that basis. Sickened by the whole episode and sickened by the scrotes apparently involved. Will make attending the Wexford game all the more difficult.

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 9:27 AM
Bookies have already paid out, so the gamblers won't care

Genius by all concerned.

Genius if it was on purpose. Something tells me there's a rake of ineptitude involved though.

MagicMon
31/08/2011, 11:44 AM
So do Shels fans think that this will affect the team for the league run-in?

Magicme
31/08/2011, 11:59 AM

*crosses fingers and starts to pray* :-D

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 1:11 PM

It should.

eL Bettor
31/08/2011, 5:50 PM
See the history of the odds movement here:
http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/ireland/fai-cup-2011/sheriff-yc-shelbourne-812561/#1X2;2

And the HT Shels FT Sheriff bet:
Looks like bet365 took a big punt on it cutting the odds from 80/1 to 28/1 in 1 move at 6:08pm last Friday.

http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/ireland/fai-cup-2011/sheriff-yc-shelbourne-812561/#ht-ft;2

thejollyrodger
31/08/2011, 6:25 PM
i hope not !

Dodge
01/09/2011, 9:56 AM
And the HT Shels FT Sheriff bet:
Looks like bet365 took a big punt on it cutting the odds from 80/1 to 28/1 in 1 move at 6:08pm last Friday.

http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/ireland/fai-cup-2011/sheriff-yc-shelbourne-812561/#ht-ft;2

In fairness it wouldn't take much for bet 3.65 to cut the odds from 80 to 28/1 on that market

sixesandsevens
05/09/2011, 5:42 PM
Shels have just released a statement on this in the last few minutes. Looks like Limerick are in the semis

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1943