PDA

View Full Version : TC heavily linked with asst mgrs job at Shamrock Rovers!

Martinho II
04/07/2011, 7:23 PM
Im surprised thats noone has mentioned it but there was a piece in todays star that Tony Cousins is favourite to be no 2 to Michael O'Neill. According to the article hes MONs top choice. It would be rotten timing if this happens!:(

outspoken
04/07/2011, 7:27 PM
Was just about to post this but once again Marty ya beat me to it - would be an awful time for this to happen I think Coso will resist the temptation and stay with us as he has a great project going and is in the process of building a great squad so why throw all that away to become a no.2

but if he was to leave who would replace him? would Coffey be worth a go I think he deserves a chance at least till the end of the season.

Acornvilla
04/07/2011, 7:27 PM
Well if he has ambitions to really make it as a manager I doubt taking an assistants job is the way to go, hes doing a decent job here and i'd like to think he feels he still has a lot to prove and that the job is no where near finished. Saying that better money and less work + travel would be involved at shams with the outside possibility of taking over as the main man in time..

Longfordian
04/07/2011, 7:28 PM
Didn't see the paper but heard about the article earlier all right. Wouldn't be the best timing were it to happen but if it is something he wants to do there's not much point trying to stop him. We'd have to get another manager in quickly. Having said all that I don't know if he'd really want to go back to being an assistant and there's no guarantee O'Neill will be there beyond November so what happens then?

outspoken
04/07/2011, 7:29 PM
What type of compo would we be looking at - he has over a year left on his contract doesnt he?

Longfordian
04/07/2011, 7:33 PM
Don't know what his contractual situation is tbh. Has he definitely got a written one? Managers often don't at this level. I wouldn't think Rovers would want to pay much either way.

outspoken
04/07/2011, 7:35 PM
3 year contract afaik

Martinho II
04/07/2011, 7:55 PM
longfordian was the first to break this story on the general forum but I always go onto this first!

Longfordian
04/07/2011, 7:59 PM
I was just too lazy to start a thread!

prince20
04/07/2011, 9:24 PM
3 year contract at Longford?? Sure there is not a manager in the country with that length of a contract.

howsyourtouch
04/07/2011, 10:07 PM
Was just about to post this but once again Marty ya beat me to it - would be an awful time for this to happen I think Coso will resist the temptation and stay with us as he has a great project going and is in the process of building a great squad so why throw all that away to become a no.2

but if he was to leave who would replace him? would Coffey be worth a go I think he deserves a chance at least till the end of the season.

please God no!

Macy
05/07/2011, 8:27 AM
Having said all that I don't know if he'd really want to go back to being an assistant and there's no guarantee O'Neill will be there beyond November so what happens then?
He'd be nuts to go as O'Neill's assistant. If he holds out for the end of the season he'd probably be in with a shout of the top job there!

outspoken
05/07/2011, 9:43 AM
please God no!

There seems to be a lot of mixed views on him but all I know is he's been with the club for a long time now so he's knows all the lads and the INS and outs of the place. He's worked very hard with the youth in the past few years and he's been caretaker before so IMO he deserves a shot.

The Insider
05/07/2011, 10:10 AM
There seems to be a lot of mixed views on him but all I know is he's been with the club for a long time now so he's knows all the lads and the INS and outs of the place. He's worked very hard with the youth in the past few years and he's been caretaker before so IMO he deserves a shot.

He was caretaker for one game and we beat a poor Kildare County side then. From chatting to a lot of people they wouldn't want him in charge for one game,let alone til the end of the season.As for the youth thing,hes not Mr Popular with the youths. Anyway I hope Tony sticks with the club, if O'Neill was leaving I'd see the attraction for him to go to Rovers but would he really go as a number 2? Though from chatting to a few Rovers mates up here they think he will go.

Longfordian
05/07/2011, 10:56 AM
He'd be nuts to go as O'Neill's assistant. If he holds out for the end of the season he'd probably be in with a shout of the top job there!

Don't think he'd be "big time" enough for Rovers manager at the moment tbh. But either way aligning himself to O'Neill just at the moment might not be too clever even if he is a Rovers man through and through. Hopefully it's sorted quickly one way or another anyway.

gufc2000
05/07/2011, 11:43 AM
After his stint with us in the Premier he hasn't a notion of getting that job yet.

Tallanted
05/07/2011, 12:38 PM
We beat that Kildare side by the skin of our teeth, last kick of game, this story has been gathering momentum since Croly left last Wednesday in Tallaght, if he goes he goes, his main aim should be gettin 3 points against Harps because our form is worryingly poor of late

Salmon Coloured
05/07/2011, 2:53 PM
Yeah the wheels have started to come off our little Truck of late. Hope to get to the game Saturday. I dont think he should leave us though at present. He's in the middle of a project & hasnt actually achiened much here yet except a respectable start to this season. Rovers should keep well clear also, im sure they would like someone proven in helping O'Neil regardless of what O'Neil thinks of Cousins. Theres lots of Managers who like other Managers in football.And also theres lots of "Rovers through & through" managers & wannabes round the place.
Have sense Tony & finish what your doing.

outspoken
05/07/2011, 4:26 PM
Ok so no to Coffey :) but if he was to go who would we get/go for been thinking about this today - what about Stephen Henderson, not a big fan of him personally but anyway what ye think?

Longfordian
05/07/2011, 5:18 PM
Whoever it is would have to be able to work on a small budget and not complain about it. Cousins has had a very good attitude in that regard since he's been here and the committee by all accounts appreciate his understanding of the situation. Not sure Henderson would be the man for that. I'm sure there'd be a few managers in for the job if it came up. At least Roddy is busy.

outspoken
05/07/2011, 6:33 PM
Whoever it is would have to be able to work on a small budget and not complain about it. Cousins has had a very good attitude in that regard since he's been here and the committee by all accounts appreciate his understanding of the situation. Not sure Henderson would be the man for that. I'm sure there'd be a few managers in for the job if it came up. At least Roddy is busy.

Ye agree with you on Hendo and thank God 4 that

Martinho II
05/07/2011, 8:54 PM
in todays mail it says that Bluebells boss James Keddy is going to be the new town asst mgr. What happens to Philip Coffey? I can understand why Tony would go for him as he was coach at Shamrock Rovers when Keddy was playin for them as far as I remember! This surely ends the Tony Cousins to Rovers story!

In other news Aidan Roche and Jason Oladele has left the club.

Longfordian
05/07/2011, 9:08 PM
Interesting. Aidan Roche looked a good player for a while there but wouldn't be a huge loss these days. Jason is just not going to be a consistent player at this level. Will Keddy be registered as a player if he's definitely coming in I wonder? Has he played for Bluebell at all? Doesn't sound like Cousins is planning on going but stranger things have happened!

Martinho II
05/07/2011, 9:28 PM
from what was said to me last week in waterford it looks like they tried to register him as a player for the rsc game but the deadline went against them.. I wouldnt be surprised hes still 38.. Shels was his last loi club a few yr back!

L.T.F.C.
05/07/2011, 9:57 PM
In other news Aidan Roche has left the club.
Hate to say I told you so!

outspoken
06/07/2011, 12:08 AM
Sorry to here about Aidan Roche he started out promising but it went downhill from there as for Oledele he was never any good - Keddy playing at 38 alongside 37 year old Gillespie should help raise the squad average a bit :)

L.T.F.C.
06/07/2011, 2:09 AM
Sorry to here about Aidan Roche he started out promising but it went downhill from there as for Oledele he was never any good - Keddy playing at 38 alongside 37 year old Gillespie should help raise the squad average a bit :)

Come off it. Never did it for us.

howsyourtouch
06/07/2011, 2:35 AM
in other news we have signed this chap! http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20500&ATCLID=1465067

Macy
06/07/2011, 7:32 AM
All Roche was missing was a bit of composure - I thought he shipped a bit more criticism than was necessary at times.

sorbothegreek
06/07/2011, 8:43 AM
Anyway, T.C will not be taking up the assistant manager's role with Rovers.

outspoken
06/07/2011, 10:02 AM
Anyway, T.C will not be taking up the assistant manager's role with Rovers.

Jim Magilton has taken up the role temporarily until MON finds a new asst.

outspoken
06/07/2011, 10:03 AM
in other news we have signed this chap! http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20500&ATCLID=1465067

Like I said he has some good stats but not sure the level would be great

Longfordian
06/07/2011, 10:17 AM
Americans and their sporting stats. "Responsible for 60.9% of the team's scoring, registering a point on 14 of the team's 23 goals". Woo! Go Team!

Salmon Coloured
06/07/2011, 11:59 AM
Couldnt really see Cousins going anywhere to be honest. So are we gettin Cheerleaders in along with this new Mustang?

Longfordian
06/07/2011, 2:37 PM
Apparently the Keddy talk is incorrect. He's not coming in so there's no change to the management set up. Roche and Oladele are definitely gone but no word on where they've gone to as yet.

outspoken
06/07/2011, 5:24 PM
Roche and Oladele are definitely gone but no word on where they've gone to as yet.

Roche left due to lack of game time and I'd imagine Jayo was just released.

Martinho II
06/07/2011, 8:58 PM
if it wasnt the piece in yesterdays mail there wouldnt have bein a mention of Keddy!.. my source in the camp spoke to me today and confirmed that the rumour was most certainly not true, Aidan Roche and Jason Oladele have gone and there will be a few new faces on trial at the Millwall game next week..

Tallanted
06/07/2011, 9:25 PM
You said it to me at game on Friday that they tried to get Keddy. Coincidence so?

Martinho II
06/07/2011, 9:49 PM
You said it to me at game on Friday that they tried to get Keddy. Coincidence so?

good point.I had forgotten I had said that to you. But at that time I was under the impression that he was comin as a player. I for one was very surprised in yesterdays piece in the mail. But I stand corrected its not goin to happen now..

howsyourtouch
07/07/2011, 12:15 AM
Like I said he has some good stats but not sure the level would be great

ah yeah i know what your saying about the level of competition over there! wouldnt know what it would be like at all... for every wexler there is an eoin lynch!!

outspoken
07/07/2011, 9:20 AM
[QUOTE=... wexler![/QUOTE]

Anybody know where he is now?

Martinho II
07/07/2011, 9:57 PM
Anybody know where he is now?

sligoman does be in regular contact with him! he will tell you Im sure whats hes up to now!

Macy
08/07/2011, 8:38 AM
sligoman does be in regular contact with him! he will tell you Im sure whats hes up to now!
He can just nip out to the shed where he and the sligo lads have him locked up, Misery style.