PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

awec
26/05/2011, 6:11 PM
I see Niall McGinn got a bit of an undeserved roasting in the Scottish Sun over the post-match "revelation" that he supports Ireland: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3601150/So-how-does-it-feel-to-lose-5-0-Niall.html
Horrific reporting. The papers really do enjoy sensationalising things.

The Legend
26/05/2011, 7:09 PM
And at Tuesday's match in the tournament, which also features Scotland, most of the 15,000 fans booed each other's national anthems. [/url]

errr... didnt he just say only 200 NI fans made the trip... so they boo'd our national anthem? did anyone hear them lol

paul_oshea
26/05/2011, 7:22 PM
It seems a lot of NI fans have formed somewhat a defeatist attitude in terms of creating a new shared identity amongst their support, and are now just happy to represent one side due to all the "poaching" as they call it that went on.

SwanVsDalton
26/05/2011, 10:02 PM
I see Niall McGinn got a bit of an undeserved roasting in the Scottish Sun over the post-match "revelation" that he supports Ireland: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3601150/So-how-does-it-feel-to-lose-5-0-Niall.html

Any newspaper reporter who uses tweets or anonymous fan quotes from the internet should be immediately fired and, if possible, given a light kicking.

BonnieShels
26/05/2011, 10:52 PM
Any newspaper reporter who uses tweets or anonymous fan quotes from the internet should be immediately fired and, if possible, given a light kicking.
Here here!!!!

awec
26/05/2011, 11:19 PM
It's gutter press.

If you go on twitter you could find angry tweets from millions of people about millions of different things and they are indicative of nothing. It's just an easy way out for journos who have column inches to fill.

BonnieShels
26/05/2011, 11:22 PM
It's gutter press.

If you go on twitter you could find angry tweets from millions of people about millions of different things and they are indicative of nothing. It's just an easy way out for journos who have column inches to fill.

Well if only some journos could find their way to this corner of the internet... I'm sure they could pick up some stories!

:rolleyes:

DannyInvincible
26/05/2011, 11:59 PM
errr... didnt he just say only 200 NI fans made the trip... so they boo'd our national anthem? did anyone hear them lol

I was informed a group of them turned their backs when 'Amhrán na bhFiann' was played. But then, that was just straight after some in our support had a boo for about 20 or 30 seconds over 'God Save the Queen'.

tetsujin1979
27/05/2011, 12:18 AM
I was informed a group of them turned their backs when 'Amhrán na bhFiann' was played. But then, that was just straight after some in our support had a boo for about 20 or 30 seconds over 'God Save the Queen'.
some of the idiots in our support did the same for GSTQ, and gave out stink to anyone who wasn't doing the same

gastric
27/05/2011, 12:26 AM
I hate it when supporters let political allegiances enter sport. This may sound naive, but such actions feed and nurture the hatred many NI fans feel towards the South Such actions are then used to reinforce the narow minded opinions these people have. I would think a thread on OWC has already been created in relation to this.

DannyInvincible
27/05/2011, 12:35 AM
I hate it when supporters let political allegiances enter sport.

It's kind of inevitable in a sphere where disputed or contentious political boundaries dictate representative teams.

ArdeeBhoy
27/05/2011, 12:36 AM
To be fair gastric, even if it hadn't happened, they would have done!

Maybe the answer is to comeback with an anthem that's not so contentious.

Somehow don't think 'Danny Boy' would have provoked the same reaction....

osarusan
27/05/2011, 1:44 AM
It's kind of inevitable in a sphere where disputed or contentious political boundaries dictate representative teams.

The fact that the majority didn't boo suggests there's nothing inevitable about it. The booing reflects on those who chose to do it, not the history they might suggest made it inevitable.

DannyInvincible
27/05/2011, 2:35 AM
Hmm... inevitable, likely, expected, unsurprising; more or less, they mean the same thing in this context and any could have been used as an adjective to describe why I felt political allegiances making their way into international football was, in many ways, an unavoidable phenomenon due to the inherent nature of international football itself.

It reflects on a lot more in reality; certainly not just on a minority booing from within an apparent vacuum. Why and what do you think it reflects only on those who chose to boo?

gastric
27/05/2011, 3:24 AM
Lads, thanks for your comments. As I said it is possibly a naive point of view, but I hate the fact that extemists can use such behaviour to further their political views as there are many stupid enough to listen.

osarusan
27/05/2011, 3:54 AM
Hmm... inevitable, likely, expected, unsurprising; more or less, they mean the same thing in this context and any could have been used as an adjective to describe why I felt political allegiances making their way into international football was, in many ways, an unavoidable phenomenon due to the inherent nature of international football itself.

It reflects on a lot more in reality; certainly not just on a minority booing from within an apparent vacuum. Why and what do you think it reflects only on those who chose to boo?

My point is that there were a majority of people at the game whose political allegiances are the same as those who were booing, yet this allegiance didn't manifest itself in the form of booing the anthem of another country. So, for some, this manifestation was clearly avoidable.

Why and what do you think it reflects only on those who chose to boo?
I'll rephrase - it reflects badly on only those who chose to boo.

Fixer82
27/05/2011, 6:02 AM
Lads, thanks for your comments. As I said it is possibly a naive point of view, but I hate the fact that extemists can use such behaviour to further their political views as there are many stupid enough to listen.

I don't think a bunch of youngfellas who watch 3 Celtic games a year and don't vote can be called extremists. Skangers may be a much more suitable word

Not Brazil
27/05/2011, 11:45 AM
It's hardly surprising though, it's realistic and quite representative of nationalist footballing support in NI. It won't stop him giving his all to NI and he'd hardly be the first NI international to feel as much

Niall is quoted by the BBC last night.

"...the bottom line is that I was born in Northern Ireland, I chose to play for Northern Ireland and I will always give 100 per cent every time I play for Northern Ireland. I love playing for Northern Ireland and the fans have been good to me - I have no regrets."

The highlighted bit is all that really matters.

Starts tonight v Wales.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2011, 11:47 AM
I think people have let their imaginations run a little bit with regard to what he said. I'm sure there are plenty of players in the team who'd be NI fans first and ROI fans second, so saying he's a Republic of Ireland fan doesn't mean they'd be his first choice.

SwanVsDalton
27/05/2011, 11:49 AM
Niall is quoted by the BBC last night.

"...the bottom line is that I was born in Northern Ireland, I chose to play for Northern Ireland and I will always give 100 per cent every time I play for Northern Ireland. I love playing for Northern Ireland and the fans have been good to me - I have no regrets."

The highlighted bit is all that really matters.

Starts tonight v Wales.

Aside from mouth-foaming keyboard warriors, what would you say the reaction to what he said has been like amongst NI support generally?

Stuttgart88
27/05/2011, 11:50 AM
I think he was unambiguously saying he was an outright ROI fan. I'm sure Deco was an outright Brazil fan when excelling for Portugal though.

Not Brazil
27/05/2011, 11:59 AM
Aside from mouth-foaming keyboard warriors, what would you say the reaction to what he said has been like amongst NI support generally?

Generally, a bit naive on his timing, but so what if he supports the Republic. As long as he gives the Northern Ireland jersey 100%, that's all that can be asked of him.

ifk101
27/05/2011, 12:06 PM
He's hardly the only player in the NI squad that supports us. I'm sure there's plenty of England supporters in the NI squad as well. Maik Taylor could be a massive German fan for all we know.

I'm sure players like Simon Cox and Paul Green are England fans as would others be in our squad.

Sullivinho
27/05/2011, 12:07 PM
I think he was unambiguously saying he was an outright ROI fan.

That was my impression too.

What a difference a tactfully placed 'also' would have made: "I'm also a Republic of Ireland fan so it was great to play against them."

But I guess he was in a hurry. ;)

SwanVsDalton
27/05/2011, 12:13 PM

What a difference a tactfully placed 'also' would have made: "I'm also a Republic of Ireland fan so it was great to play against them."

Probably just too excited about getting Robbie's jersey ;)

If anything that would surely be the most galling aspect for an NI fan - McGinn admitting such fan-boy deference to an ROI player, is David Healy not enough?!

dantheman
27/05/2011, 12:17 PM

Or "I'm a Republic fan, but I also keep an eye out for the NI result on AERTEL from time to time!"

geysir
27/05/2011, 12:40 PM
Expect a few more to step forward and say "I'm a Republic fan"

BonnieShels
27/05/2011, 3:36 PM

Well that's just a political view. I'm sure there's a lot of people in the six who dislike constitutional monarchies but support being part of the UK.

I can also confirm the (partial) Ulster Banner and not the Ulster Provincial flag is flying high from the roof of Lansdowne. The FAI wouldn't make the same mistake twice would they?

DannyInvincible
27/05/2011, 7:30 PM

Will the floodgates open?

I can also confirm the (partial) Ulster Banner and not the Ulster Provincial flag is flying high from the roof of Lansdowne. The FAI wouldn't make the same mistake twice would they?

Has anyone at the FAI explained how that happened? It is a bit strange, especially considering NI already played Scotland at Lansdowne a few months ago and the FAI would presumably have had an Ulster Banner in their possession since that. It would be extremely cynical to suspect some prankster within the FAI of mischief but how does something like that happen as innocent error? :confused:

ArdeeBhoy
27/05/2011, 7:38 PM
Why is it the 'Ulster Banner' ??

Whatever it is, the North can hardly be referred to as 'Ulster'....

DannyInvincible
27/05/2011, 8:01 PM
I know the flag has no official constitutional status but I'd imagine it's registered as the IFA's flag with FIFA. I have the address of CAS here though, if you'd like?... :p

Fixer82
27/05/2011, 11:21 PM

I agree. Never liked them calling themselves Ulster when 1/3 of Ulster is in the Republic.

But by that reckoning also, we shouldn't call ourselves Ireland when 1/5 is under British rule and not being represented in our football team.....oh...wait........:clover:

BonnieShels
28/05/2011, 1:22 AM

That's just what it's called. I have no control over these things. Not yet anyway. You will note the 'partial' my friend.

DannyInvincible
28/05/2011, 5:49 AM
That's just what it's called. I have no control over these things. Not yet anyway. You will note the 'partial' my friend.

Ah, it's the title we're questioning? Well, certainly; I suppose I should have learned my lesson that night I got stranded in Muff waiting for an Ulsterbus to Derry!

It's just a name, after all, even if deceptive, but I can of course decapitalise or add quote marks in future to subvert any ounce of legitimacy. :p

In seriousness though, the continued reference to NI as "Ulster" by unionists is something that has always puzzled me. There were formal proposals in the past to adopt it as the official title of NI, but they never came to pass for reasons that might well have included, you know, Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan. On the other hand, I suppose unionists would object to the southern state being referred to as "Ireland" but the name of the southern state is at least rooted in a former constitutional claim over the entire territory of the island and a residual desire or long-term aspiration to see the cessation of partition. Have unionists ever claimed that the entirety of Ulster ought to be under British jurisdiction? If anything, wasn't it the idea to exclude Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan as their inclusion would have compromised the unionist majority within the six counties chosen to form the new entity?

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2011, 8:55 AM
It just illustrates their arrogance on the issue....

DannyInvincible
13/06/2011, 11:23 PM
I see Paddy McCourt got married at the weekend there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-13746717

Was the reason given for his being unable to play for NI in the Carling Nations Cup - three weeks ago - not his wedding though?

backstothewall
13/06/2011, 11:45 PM

It might well be what people call it. But it isn't what it is called. It has no official name as far as I'm aware, but the most accurate name would probably be something along the lines of the "Flag of the Government of Northern Ireland (1953-1972)".

Given the record of that institution, that's what I will be calling the flag. This "Ulster Banner" line is at best a revisionist attempt to decontaminate that flag from the record if the institution it represents.

There is a similarity here with the rebranding of the flag of the flag of the Confederate States of America as the "Dixie Flag". In my opinion Northern Ireland would be better following the example of South Africa and adopting a new flag. The Flag of the Government of Northern Ireland will only ever represent the gerrymandering and discrimination that were the legacy of that regime. It is a disgrace that FIFA, or any sporting body, allow it to be flown at an international fixture.

DeLorean
02/09/2016, 12:10 PM
Bumping thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_lP47lSKKk

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 8:17 AM
Closed thread.