PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

SwanVsDalton
24/05/2011, 8:34 PM
I doubt NI fans will accept that, diminished squad or no. They probably shouldn't - worst team we've played in years, maybe a decade or two.

Eirambler
24/05/2011, 8:34 PM
Jaysus, theyve even managed to make McShane look good.

Deckydee
24/05/2011, 8:36 PM
McShame

awec
24/05/2011, 8:37 PM
worthington out! :mad::mad::mad:

backstothewall
Jaysus, theyve even managed to make McShane look good.

At one point he appeared to be doing keepy-ups on the edge of their area

geysir
Andrews, Ward and Delaney did no harm to their prospects of starting against Macedonia.

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 8:48 PM
Did they even have a shot on target?

Cox looked lively enough but I dunno if we can take any solid impressions considering the opposition. Or lack of it.

I s'pose NI fans can take solace in the fact Gary Neville's dad is called Neville Neville.

awec
24/05/2011, 8:51 PM
So...... moving swiftly onward, I hear you lot play Scotland soon? :smirk:

CraftyToePoke
24/05/2011, 8:54 PM
Did they even have a shot on target?

No, I dont think so. We had 8 or more. Complete mismatch, no use in terms of forming an opinion on our fringe/new players.

geysir
24/05/2011, 8:55 PM
We're moving on.
As Jimmy Magee once said, different class.

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 8:59 PM
they had a offside goal.

Philly
24/05/2011, 9:00 PM
Very good performance from Ireland, but it's tough to really draw many conclusions considering how poor Northern Ireland were tonight.

Encouraging to see Cox get off to a good start seeing as Stokes has managed to mess things up for the foreseeable future. I also think Ward can cement his place at LB, and Delaney looked very composed and passed well. Keane was as hungry as ever too.

Felt bad for the NI fans that made the trip, hopefully they will get some sort of encouragement from their final game v. Wales.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 9:06 PM
Horribly one-sided mismatch this evening. Very comprehensively-controlled second-half. What were the final possession statistics? Did Forde even touch the ball with his hands? McShane looked like the ginger Pelé at one point towards the end. Felt bad for Robbie to be substituted as I reckon, had he stayed on, he might have bagged another few and maybe even broken the 60 mark. :p

geysir
24/05/2011, 9:07 PM
Our possession stats were Barcaesque.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 9:08 PM
Has Foley had much experience playing in the middle? He looked pretty comfortable there.

backstothewall
24/05/2011, 9:15 PM
Has Foley had much experience playing in the middle? He looked pretty comfortable there.

I would have looked decent in there tonight. Can't judge him on that. Maybe 30 minutes v Scotland to see if he can play there at any sort of standard

TrapAPony
24/05/2011, 9:25 PM
Could easily have been 8-0 with Andrews and Hunt hitting the post and Blayney making a great save from Robbie Keane. I guess we can't be too greedy though. Encouraging performances from Ward & Cox and now Keane is just one goal off Bobby Charlton's English record of 49. Even McShane looked like Maradona towards the end. Good night all round but the important one is obviously Macedonia.

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 9:29 PM
He played perhaps a dozen games there for Wolves in the middle of the season. He was particularly dominant in the win over Liverpool at Anfield, if I remember correctly. Not sure if he's played there at Championship.

Today's game suited him because we controlled the ball and he had little to do defensively. It's hard to tell how he'd do in Macedonia where he'll be expected to do a defensive shift, though his quick passing and accuracy would be a nice asset.

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 9:30 PM
Felt bad for Robbie to be substituted as I reckon, had he stayed on, he might have bagged another few and maybe even broken the 60 mark. :p

Saw him on SSN there making reference to 'the English record'. Bobby Charlton scored 49 so he's gunning for that. I reckon he'll spontaneously combust whilst celebrating his 50th and all we'll have to remember Robbie is a patch of burnt grass and the acrid smell of barbequed Dub.

Paddy Garcia
24/05/2011, 9:33 PM
Terrible sportsmanship from us - we should have lent them some players at half time to make a game of it.

Anyway I guess we tried to even things up with McShane & Keogh.

EastTerracer
24/05/2011, 9:35 PM
Banner confiscated, after a wee bit of 'bother' with stewards, from the 'away' end saying 'FAI;Stop Poaching our players'

More like their goose is cooked....

It was actually quite a humorous banner and in full it read....

"FAI leave our players alone. Keep Gibson"

No need for the stewards to try to remove the banner but this the same FAI who removed any critical banners (e.g. Delaney Out) in Croke Park not too long ago.

EastTerracer
24/05/2011, 9:41 PM
Saw him on SSN there making reference to 'the English record'. Bobby Charlton scored 49 so he's gunning for that. I reckon he'll spontaneously combust whilst celebrating his 50th and all we'll have to remember Robbie is a patch of burnt grass and the acrid smell of barbequed Dub.

He did equal Gary Lineker's international total of 48 goals tonight. It really is a fantastic record and I think Robbie will be justifiably proud when he has more international goals than any British player has been able to achieve. Thierry Henry's 51 international goals would be a nice number to beat as well.

53 goals would put Robbie in the top 10 international goalscorers of all time along with Puskas, Pele and Gerd Muller. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_international_association_football_goal_scorer s_by_country

SwanVsDalton
24/05/2011, 9:48 PM
Terrible sportsmanship from us - we should have lent them some players at half time to make a game of it.

We're takers not givers.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 9:49 PM
He did equal Gary Lineker's international total of 48 goals tonight. It really is a fantastic record and I think Robbie will be justifiably proud when he has more international goals than any British player has been able to achieve. Thierry Henry's 51 international goals would be a nice number to beat as well.

53 goals would put Robbie in the top 10 international goalscorers of all time along with Puskas, Pele and Gerd Muller. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_international_association_football_goal_scorer s_by_country

He's already more prolific than Henry. It's a fantastic record. Great player for us over the years.

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 9:50 PM
Any chance you lot could poach Nigel Worthington from us too? :D

Were not that desperate. ;)

boovidge
24/05/2011, 9:52 PM
Apparently the yellow provincial Ulster flag was flying from Aviva instead of the NI flag. Bit cheeky.

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 9:56 PM

He'll make 53 without a doubt. We've a game against Andorra and a home fixture vs Armenia left in this campaign alone. That will be an astounding achievement. I s'pose we better enjoy what's left of him because we ain't gonna see another of his ilk in our lifetimes anyway.

Serb
24/05/2011, 9:57 PM

That's not quite correct. That list is the top scorers for each country, so a max of one person for each country is on that list. For example: Sándor Kocsis has 75 international goals for Hungary, but he doesn't make the list because Puskas has more than him for Hungary. The list you want is the list of association football players with 50 or more international goals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_players_with_50_or_mo re_international_goals). Robbie Keane would require 17 more international goals to be in the top 10 international goal scorers of all time.

CraftyToePoke
24/05/2011, 9:58 PM

Batistuta on 56 a possibile target, with Gerd Muller a little further up the road on 68.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 10:02 PM
Apparently the yellow provincial Ulster flag was flying from Aviva instead of the NI flag. Bit cheeky.

That would be odd considering they carried the Ulster Banner out onto the pitch for the anthems.

EastTerracer
24/05/2011, 10:02 PM
That's not quite correct. That list is the top scorers for each country, so a max of one person for each country is on that list. For example: Sándor Kocsis has 75 international goals for Hungary, but he doesn't make the list because Puskas has more than him for Hungary. The list you want is the list of association football players with 50 or more international goals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_players_with_50_or_mo re_international_goals). Robbie Keane would require 17 more international goals to be in the top 10 international goal scorers of all time.

Good spot, Serb. Lazy analysis on my part.

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2011, 10:03 PM
It was actually quite a humorous banner and in full it read....

"FAI leave our players alone. Keep Gibson"

Fair enough, but as humour goes, that's a 1/10. Even EG's pathetic effort was better;Incidentally, that was up on the news earlier.
:eek:

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 10:09 PM

Who is going to input Robbie's international goals into his wikipedia page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane

Here is an example of how it should be done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_M%C3%BCller

So if you have the time and the info the page is there if you want to update it.
I'd have a go at it if I find the time but I have not found wikipedia easy to modify.
I also do not have the info handy.
Be nice if someone could make a start on it, maybe I will have a go later.

Some of the info can be found here.
First goal was against the Czech Republic it seems.
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=11957&season_id=128

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 10:12 PM
You've got to tip your hat to such luminaries of the game as Ali Daei and Kiatisuk Senamuang and their exploits against the might of Nepal and Sri Lanka. Although they'd surely dismiss my disingenuity with "Northern Ireland".

EastTerracer
24/05/2011, 10:12 PM
All of Robbie's data is here except for tonight's goals but, like yourself, I'd need a bit of time to add it all to his wiki page.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/robkeane-intlg.html

tetsujin1979
24/05/2011, 10:26 PM
Keane's goals are already there, including tonight's goals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane#International_goals
You need to click on the "[show]" link to expand the table

Poor Student
24/05/2011, 10:33 PM
Well that's the IFA selection issue finally put to bed tonight. If that's the kind of quality of player they're producing then we'll have to find a new feeder association.

geysir
24/05/2011, 10:34 PM
The Wiki edit was done by somebody literate, who has Roscommon at heart but living near London.

2 out of 3, that rules out Paul

Fixer82
24/05/2011, 10:35 PM
What did we learn from tonight?

A. Stephen Ward can play international football and can certainly stick in some decent crosses
B. Robbie is still an International footballer
C. Paul McShane is not (regardless of keepy-uppies)
D. Andy Keogh's arm-tattoo makes him look like a right ****!

ps. Anyone else think Stephen Ward looks like Chris Finch from 'The Office'?

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 10:51 PM
Keane's goals are already there, including tonight's goals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane#International_goals
You need to click on the "[show]" link to expand the table

Oh I see, thanks!!
(could have saved me a lot of wasted effort, lol).
I have never seen a page done like that before, I expect most people would miss it if they were just browsing through it.
Seems like the soccorbase list has missed his first against Malta.

boovidge
24/05/2011, 10:55 PM
That would be odd considering they carried the Ulster Banner out onto the pitch for the anthems.

According to Twitter the flags were changed to the Ulster banner shortly before KO.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 11:02 PM
According to Twitter the flags were changed to the Ulster banner shortly before KO.

Ah, I see. How did the FAI think they'd get away with an Ulster flag? Or was it some sort of unlikely error?

BonnieShels
24/05/2011, 11:04 PM

It's not that odd really. The FAI or IRFU wouldn't likely have too many Banners hanging around Lansdowne. Maybe they asked the Ulster Branch for a lend of the flag from Ravenhill for the pitch?

Watching the highlights on BBC and really, the north were awful. Magilton though saying we were flattered by the scoreline.

As regarding the eligibility issue. Trap handled the question well though indicating that the players eligible for both associations approach the FAI first.
Jim Magilton though showed the ignorance of the situation with some of his comments. Brutal.

boovidge
24/05/2011, 11:06 PM
Ah, I see. How did the FAI think they'd get away with an Ulster flag? Or was it some sort of unlikely error?

No idea, but if it was a windup to the NI fans it seemed to work.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 11:08 PM
Watching the highlights on BBC and really, the north were awful. Magilton though saying we were flattered by the scoreline.

Could easily have been 8-0, to be honest. I think the result flattered NI.

As regarding the eligibility issue. Trap handled the question well though indicating that the players eligible for both associations approach the FAI first.
Jim Magilton though showed the ignorance of the situation with some of his comments. Brutal.

Any quotes or anything?

MeathDrog
24/05/2011, 11:11 PM
Anyone have a list of the Northern Ireland team along with the clubs that each player plays for? Would be interesting to give a perspective of the calibre that we were up against.

Crosby87
24/05/2011, 11:13 PM
So nobody would complain if we drew NI in WCQ?

BonnieShels
24/05/2011, 11:16 PM
Could easily have been 8-0, to be honest. I think the result flattered NI.

Any quotes or anything?

Easily 8 alright which us what made the BBC analysis so pointlessly biased.

Gonna rewind the coverage now and see what I can get.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 11:24 PM
Anyone have a list of the Northern Ireland team along with the clubs that each player plays for? Would be interesting to give a perspective of the calibre that we were up against.

Starting line-up:
Blayney (Linfield).
Thompson (Watford).
Cathcart (Blackpool).
McAuley (West Brom; just signed from Ipswich).
Hodson (Watford).
Carson (Ipswich).
Clingan (Coventry).
Davis (Rangers).
Gorman (Wolves).
Feeney (Oldham).
McQuoid (Millwall).

Subs:
McGinn (Celtic).
Garrett (Linfield).
Coates (Crusaders).
Boyce (Werder Bremen II).
Norwood (Manchester United).

Subs not used:
Tuffey (Inverness).
Winchester (Oldham).
Dallas (Crusaders).
Owens (Crusaders).

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 11:26 PM
So nobody would complain if we drew NI in WCQ?

Would the 6 points be worth all that player eligibility discussion?