PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

amaccann
24/05/2011, 11:30 PM
What surprised me most about this game? How poor NI's enthusiasm for the game was. I kinda expected NI, as the scrappy underdogs, to bust a gut to get a result, to prove a point against their neighbours & rivals, while we'd just coast on autopilot. In fact, I had some fear there might have been an upset. What I saw though was the complete opposite: NI just didn't seem to care, whereas our fringe players pushed themselves to the last minute. Certainly encouraging signs for the future, no question. Cox in particular impressed me, he's one to watch in a position we sorely need options in. Stokes really shot himself in the foot bigtime because there could be a legitimate alternative to him around the corner.

Mind you, with Irish League players & players from the Lower English leagues (though not that low down, looking at the team-sheet), perhaps it's fairer to suggest the NI lads were just plain shattered after a long season.

BonnieShels
24/05/2011, 11:34 PM
Would the 6 points be worth all that player eligibility discussion?

Yes. Especially if it winds up Jim Magilton and Nigel more. And has anyone asked Jackie Fullerton his thoughts?

Gonna post the Magilton comments over in the Eligibility Thread (http://foot.ie/threads/147164-Eligibility-Rules-Okay?p=1489794&viewfull=1#post1489794). Well the official Eligibility Thread, not the Shane Ferguson, Marc Wilson one or the now 2 Celtic Cup ones... :P

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 11:40 PM
Yes. Especially if it winds up Jim Magilton and Nigel more. And has anyone asked Jackie Fullerton his thoughts?

At least Fullerton is a real orange man.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/JackieFullerton.jpg

BonnieShels
25/05/2011, 12:23 AM
What surprised me most about this game? How poor NI's enthusiasm for the game was. I kinda expected NI, as the scrappy underdogs, to bust a gut to get a result, to prove a point against their neighbours & rivals, while we'd just coast on autopilot. In fact, I had some fear there might have been an upset. What I saw though was the complete opposite: NI just didn't seem to care, whereas our fringe players pushed themselves to the last minute.

Was thinking that earlier myself. Said it to a mate of mine that I think that we would hammer them and he pointed out that he reckoned that the north had a point to prove etc. and then I kinda agreed with him then. After the first 10 minutes though it was clear though that that would be their ability all night and that we would run riot once we got the first goal.

awec
25/05/2011, 12:28 AM
Apparently the yellow provincial Ulster flag was flying from Aviva instead of the NI flag. Bit cheeky.

That would be odd considering they carried the Ulster Banner out onto the pitch for the anthems.

They replaced it.

When I heard it was up I thought that maybe it just always flies there cause the fact the IRFU owns the place (and I believe that all 4 provincial flags fly for rugby games?), but apparently not. Either way it had to be changed else the FAI would land themselves in bother.

mypost
25/05/2011, 12:35 AM
It's not that odd really. The FAI or IRFU wouldn't likely have too many Banners hanging around Lansdowne. Maybe they asked the Ulster Branch for a lend of the flag from Ravenhill for the pitch?

Watching the highlights on BBC and really, the north were awful. Magilton though saying we were flattered by the scoreline.

As regarding the eligibility issue. Trap handled the question well though indicating that the players eligible for both associations approach the FAI first.

There is no issue. The rules are the rules, we don't make them, but we make maximum use of them. The players in question qualify to play for Ireland. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the discussion.

Horribly one-sided mismatch this evening. Very comprehensively-controlled second-half. What were the final possession statistics? Did Forde even touch the ball with his hands? McShane looked like the ginger Pelé at one point towards the end. Felt bad for Robbie to be substituted as I reckon, had he stayed on, he might have bagged another few and maybe even broken the 60 mark. :p

Not horrible at all. Tonight was revenge for '99. Decent atmosphere from those that showed up, and we played good football too. Barring a Scottish hammering of Wales later, a point on Sunday will be enough for our first trophy at senior level for 25 years.

Their fans booed McAleese showing up, while our fans held a sit-down protest when the song masquerading as their "anthem" was played. But the real downer of the night was the lack of crowd. If we were playing England, the place would be full, at whatever price on whatever night.

BonnieShels
25/05/2011, 1:10 AM
There is no issue. The rules are the rules, we don't make them, but we make maximum use of them. The players in question qualify to play for Ireland. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the discussion.

What are you talking about? There is clearly an issue. Stephen Watson and the BBC haven't a notion of what the rules are along with most fans of OWC and a lot of ours.
We are particularly informed here as we don't assume what the rules are and we read them and understand them. We read the CAS judgements and then we listen to what Danny says if that all fails.

Also to say "End of discussion" at the end of a post in which you mentioned eligibility shows your ignorance of the rules of the eligibilty discussions on Foot.ie. :)

mypost
25/05/2011, 1:24 AM
Darren Gibson is eligible to play for us. And he does. We also find eligible players from England and Scotland, and use the rules as they currently are. If NI or another country want someone to blame for that, it's FIFA they should look to, not the FAI.

tricky_colour
25/05/2011, 1:32 AM
Keane's goals are already there, including tonight's goals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane#International_goals
You need to click on the "[show]" link to expand the table

I looked at Northern Ireland top goal scorers page to and that was blank too, however when I raised the issue with the IFA they told me that was correct!! :p

SkStu
25/05/2011, 2:37 AM
Delighted for Wardy. He should have had his cap sooner. I sponsored him a few seasons ago and got his jersey with his autograph signed and his name printed on the back. Cha-ching... ;)

Absolutely over the moon for him.

Anyone know where i could catch the game? Was in meetings all day...

rebelmusic
25/05/2011, 2:58 AM
Anyone know where i could catch the game? Was in meetings all day...

Second that - and hopefully before i leave the office cos the internet in the hotel is horrific!

theworm2345
25/05/2011, 3:30 AM
1st Half:

http://www.filesonic.com/file/1061892324

OR

http://www.fileserve.com/file/M4P3Wcn

2nd Half:

http://www.filesonic.com/file/1062022134

OR

http://www.fileserve.com/file/YG4Et9r

100% credit to wigan88 at Maxxed

rebelmusic
25/05/2011, 3:59 AM
Legend as always!!

shakermaker1982
25/05/2011, 6:34 AM
I felt sorry for the North. If I was the ref I'd have given the kid a yellow card.

Cox looks like a useful option and linked up well with Keano, Treacy impressed again and it's always nice to score 5 goals. Hopefully Scotland give us a game.

ifk101
25/05/2011, 7:14 AM
McShane's showboating at the end said it all.

mypost
25/05/2011, 7:15 AM
I felt sorry for the North. If I was the ref I'd have given a yellow card.

Hopefully Scotland give us a game.

No need to feel sorry for him. Last man, foul, penalty, goodbye.

Would prefer another 5-0 win against Scotland, than them giving us a game. We won't win 5-0, but we can win a trophy with whatever result we need. That'll compensate nicely.

Not Brazil
25/05/2011, 8:00 AM
I think the last time the Reublic won 5-0 was against San Marino at Lansdowne Road.

As it happens, I was at that game against San Marino, as a guest of one of the foot.ie regular posters.

Last night was more one sided than that match.

I predicted a mismatch last night - that's exactly what it was.

Bit harsh of the ref to send the kid off for the pen - there wasn't a foul in anger during the match. No bookings, I think?

ifk101
25/05/2011, 8:11 AM
Bit harsh of the ref to send the kid off for the pen - there wasn't a foul in anger during the match. No bookings, I think?

I think given our total dominance of the game the sending off was perhaps unnecessary. But Robbie was through on goal and ready to shoot when the kid jumped into his back. I think it was a penalty and a sending off but in the circumstances somewhat unnecessary given how the game was panning out.

Hibs4Ever
25/05/2011, 8:16 AM
Interesting words from McGinn about 1.10 into video (sorry if posted already)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8bkvgVTCE[/QUOTE]

Hurt Locker
25/05/2011, 8:27 AM
They replaced it.

When I heard it was up I thought that maybe it just always flies there cause the fact the IRFU owns the place (and I believe that all 4 provincial flags fly for rugby games?), but apparently not. Either way it had to be changed else the FAI would land themselves in bother.

Dont think it would be that big an issue, do their supporters not us the union jack as their flag?

Lionel Ritchie
25/05/2011, 8:30 AM
No need to feel sorry for him. Last man, foul, penalty, goodbye.A penalty for sure but the presence of Gareth McAuley gave the ref a very reasonable option of a yellow card.

Robbie normally flails his arms like a madman in such situations demanding redress but in this case he knew he'd the penalty and went straight to the ref when he saw the red card coming out to ask him to go easy -as did Keith Andrews. It was too late by then just.

Fixer82
25/05/2011, 8:41 AM
Darren Gibson is eligible to play for us. And he does. We also find eligible players from England and Scotland, and use the rules as they currently are. If NI or another country want someone to blame for that, it's FIFA they should look to, not the FAI.

Or perhaps the Good Friday agreement?

Fixer82
25/05/2011, 8:45 AM

Very harsh to send the kid off. I didn't even think he was the last man. No need for it, especially in a game that was well over at that stage and in a competition that doesn't mean all that much anyway

elroy
25/05/2011, 8:51 AM
Was at the game last night. ROI played well but hard to judge against the opposition. Ward, Cox and Foley did well. McShane even against NI looked dangerous (to us!). But hard to take anything out of the game. When you see the likes of Foley and Ward turning up and playing most/all of the game with no fuss or hassle it really shames the likes of McCarthy, Stokes and the Stokes lads. Wolves were every bit involved in last day drama as Wigan were and no one would have excused them for going out and enjoying themselves on Sunday. Nonetheless they still reported for Irish duty as you would expect.

As for the crowd, oh god, abysmal. I hate to think what tonight and Friday night will be like. Dont think we'll be seeing a Nations Cup again or at least certainly not in this format.

shakermaker1982
25/05/2011, 8:52 AM
Ref should have just used a bit of common sense. The game was over at 3 nil anyway so why turn it into an attack vs defence training session for the remainder of the 2nd half?

Fair play to Keane he did chat to the ref about it.

Hurt Locker
25/05/2011, 8:54 AM
The goat, sorry the kid had to go because as the refs performance will be looked at after the match, rules are rules.

Bray Head
25/05/2011, 8:55 AM
15,092 as per Extratime.ie. Why were the Upper tiers open ? Surely it would have looked better if everyone was on the lower tiers.

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 9:08 AM
Interesting words from McGinn about 1.10 into video (sorry if posted already)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8bkvgVTCE

So McGinn supports football apartheid. Disgrace.

Fixer82
25/05/2011, 9:12 AM
Wow big statement from McGinn there. I mean, I'm sure most of us knew he supported the Republic but to say it while wearing a N. Ireland top is surprising

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 9:16 AM
It's hardly surprising though, it's realistic and quite representative of nationalist footballing support in NI. It won't stop him giving his all to NI and he'd hardly be the first NI international to feel as much - but you'd like to hope it would give those hysterical FIFA botherers food for thought when it comes to screaming 'sectarian!' about the FAI or players choosing to represent the Republic.

Fixer82
25/05/2011, 9:47 AM
It's not surprising that he supports the Republic but surprising for him to say it while he's a Norn Iron player. I don't recall ever hearing a Northern Ireland player saying such, even Neil Lennon.

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 10:15 AM
Times-they-are-a-changing. It probably reflects well on NI support that McGinn feels comfortable to say it, though since many struggle to accept McGinn's fundamental right to once-upon-a-time play for the ROI that might be a little generous.

Charlie Darwin
25/05/2011, 11:30 AM
Ref should have just used a bit of common sense. The game was over at 3 nil anyway so why turn it into an attack vs defence training session for the remainder of the 2nd half?

Fair play to Keane he did chat to the ref about it.
In fairness to the ref, he'll have been told to ref it as a fully competitive match. He had to make the same decision he would have in a qualifier.

geysir
25/05/2011, 11:32 AM
There was another NI player covering. Is it still a red card offense to give away a foul in the box with a covering player around?

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 11:42 AM
There was another NI player covering. Is it still a red card offense to give away a foul in the box with a covering player around?

That's not the rule. The rule is you denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

awec
25/05/2011, 12:08 PM
Not surprised McGinn is an ROI fan, but at the end of the day he gives 100% every time he plays for NI and he is more than happy to play for us and for that we will support him without issue. :)

Jinxy
25/05/2011, 12:50 PM
I think McGinn played for Tyrone at one stage.
I remember Mickey Harte talking about him in an article once anyway.
I know Martin Clarke that plays for Down is a big Norn Iron fan so it would seem that the relationship between 'nationalists' in the 6 counties and the NI soccer team isn't as simple it's sometimes made out to be.

awec
25/05/2011, 1:45 PM
I think McGinn played for Tyrone at one stage.
I remember Mickey Harte talking about him in an article once anyway.
I know Martin Clarke that plays for Down is a big Norn Iron fan so it would seem that the relationship between 'nationalists' in the 6 counties and the NI soccer team isn't as simple it's sometimes made out to be.
It most definitely isn't. I know people from the New Lodge etc that go to Northern Ireland games.

It's not the one sided affair that people think.

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 1:55 PM
Tardelli downplays absentee players row (http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/6951340/Republic-row-keeps-rumbling-on)

Fahey also didn't make it apparently, but according to the assistant Wilson and Walters are injured while Whelan and Fahey are coming. Definite firefighting: ""I believe him [McCarthy], I believe Stoke, I believe the other players but sometimes it is possible to come here, have it assessed with the doctor and then go back."

DannyInvincible
25/05/2011, 8:34 PM
Not horrible at all. Tonight was revenge for '99.

Horrible in the sense it was so one-sided it wasn't even a match. You'd have almost feel sorry for NI if all possibility of sympathy hadn't been pre-eradicated by other issues before the game. 1999 wasn't comparable at all in the sense it wasn't one-sided. But cruel revenge, if you will.

What are you talking about? There is clearly an issue. Stephen Watson and the BBC haven't a notion of what the rules are along with most fans of OWC and a lot of ours.
We are particularly informed here as we don't assume what the rules are and we read them and understand them. We read the CAS judgements and then we listen to what Danny says if that all fails.

Also to say "End of discussion" at the end of a post in which you mentioned eligibility shows your ignorance of the rules of the eligibilty discussions on Foot.ie. :)

So I'm just a last resort now? :p

Obviously you're correct that an issue still exists so long as the eligibility of northern-born players to play for us will be disputed by the IFA and NI fans. It shouldn't be an issue though, but I think we all agree on that.

For anyone interested, the BBC highlights of the game are now up on the BBC iPlayer, although, they're only open to UK-based users, as far as I know: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011kvqf/Nations_Cup_Football_24_05_2011/

Not surprised McGinn is an ROI fan, but at the end of the day he gives 100% every time he plays for NI and he is more than happy to play for us and for that we will support him without issue. :)

Out of interest, what do NI fans in general make of his comment?

mypost
25/05/2011, 8:54 PM
Horrible in the sense it was so one-sided it wasn't even a match. You'd have almost feel sorry for NI if all possibility of sympathy hadn't been pre-eradicated by other issues before the game. 1999 wasn't comparable at all in the sense it wasn't one-sided. But cruel revenge, if you will.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, and we well and truly served it to them last night. We very rarely win games 5-0, enjoy it while it lasts. I did.

paul_oshea
25/05/2011, 9:37 PM
it really doesn't bother me playing NI or beating them.

I dont understand why anyone cares either from the republic.

It does upset me though that there were all these eejits booing their anthem and what not, especially given how well the queens visit was received.

awec
25/05/2011, 10:05 PM
Out of interest, what do NI fans in general make of his comment?

I imagine that the majority won't be overly bothered. There may be some annoyance about the timing of him saying it but that's about it. People know he gives his all, he's one of our best players and it's no real surprise he supports the ROI anyway.

Some may be angry with him, but I think that's more a case of being ****ed off at getting bent over and bummed like a good 'un by our "rivals" (I don't think it's a rivalry really, international teams tend not to play each other often enough for genuine rivalry's to develop) and they are just directing their anger at everything and anything.

CraftyToePoke
25/05/2011, 10:46 PM
I imagine that the majority won't be overly bothered. There may be some annoyance about the timing of him saying it but that's about it. People know he gives his all, he's one of our best players and it's no real surprise he supports the ROI anyway.

I'd say it must have rankled quite a bit, the timing didnt help but at any time, that must have stung. I think you are being very diplomatic about it.

awec
25/05/2011, 10:52 PM
I'd say it must have rankled quite a bit, the timing didnt help but at any time, that must have stung. I think you are being very diplomatic about it.
Well, in these modern times all we can be is diplomatic :D

BonnieShels
25/05/2011, 11:36 PM
So I'm just a last resort now? :p

Of course you are... I mean isn't that what the big hullabaloo is over on the other side whereby people blindly believe what others say without consulting the facts or experts. You and geysir have summed it up in here so succintly that really to go back to you would be an insult to your original efforts to sort it out once and for all.

Enough ego massage for today? :P

In fairness though there's a lot I thought I knew that has been cleared up by some of your postings. So yeah... screw CAS, Danny for Prez!

DannyInvincible
25/05/2011, 11:43 PM
Of course you are... I mean isn't that what the big hullabaloo is over on the other side whereby people blindly believe what others say without consulting the facts or experts. You and geysir have summed it up in here so succintly that really to go back to you would be an insult to your original efforts to sort it out once and for all.

Enough ego massage for today? :P

In fairness though there's a lot I thought I knew that has been cleared up by some of your postings. So yeah... screw CAS, Danny for Prez!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_btPLpTZdSHQ/S8OVNg8WvyI/AAAAAAAABVo/E8h8L9pbr9k/s1600/300px-Bashful.jpg

awec
25/05/2011, 11:44 PM
I have to admit, I enjoy reading Danny's posts because they at least make a bit of sense. You too BonnieShels.

There are a few people on here you just have to take with a pinch of salt though.

BonnieShels
25/05/2011, 11:49 PM
I have to admit, I enjoy reading Danny's posts because they at least make a bit of sense. You too BonnieShels.

There are a few people on here you just have to take with a pinch of salt though.

My irrationality started to wane once Sporting Fingal and FF went the way of the Celtic tiger.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2011, 4:53 PM
I see Niall McGinn got a bit of an undeserved roasting in the Scottish Sun over the post-match "revelation" that he supports Ireland: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3601150/So-how-does-it-feel-to-lose-5-0-Niall.html

FURIOUS Northern Ireland fans have slammed Celtic star Niall McGinn after he declared his support for the Republic - minutes after they thrashed HIS side.

The dozy Northern Irish ace made the barmy comments following a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of their bitter rivals.

McGinn, 23 - who was sent a live bullet in the post by a maniac - also boasted about how he had grabbed the Republic of Ireland jersey of ex-Hoops star Robbie Keane.

Interviewed after the Carling Nations Cup trouncing, winger McGinn - who had come on as a sub - said: "It's always good to feature in games like that.

"I'm a Republic of Ireland fan and it's obviously good to play against them.

"I think the only good thing to come out of tonight is that I got Robbie Keane's jersey."

But last night fuming Northern Irish fans had blasted McGinn on his Twitter page.

One wrote: "Republic of Ireland supporter? Don't bother playing for NI again you f****** p****. F*** away off."

Another added: "Timing of those comments couldn't have been any worse. At least you could have said they were your second preference."

Previous clashes between the sides in the past have sparked major security operations.

But this time just 200 Northern Ireland fans made the trip to Dublin after supporters accused rival bosses of trying to poach their players.

And at Tuesday's match in the tournament, which also features Scotland, most of the 15,000 fans booed each other's national anthems.