PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

shakermaker1982
24/05/2011, 6:44 AM
I've just seen the McCarthy thread. He was on the lash.........he has probably lost his iphone!

Philly
24/05/2011, 10:16 AM
Just over 200 NI fans expected? Jesus that is poor. I was hoping this game could give the tournament some life...

dr_peepee
24/05/2011, 10:57 AM
What drama are you referring to? Much of it is media-manufactured.

Ah, there's been a year of McCarthy based drama, regardless of who manufactured it. I mean the "tired" thing last year wasn't manufactured by the media. I've a pain in me face with it at this stage... Too many misunderstandings, lost correspondance, media influenced drama, interference from Club manager... All around one player?? It's too often to be coincidence.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 12:00 PM
Ah, there's been a year of McCarthy based drama, regardless of who manufactured it.

I'd be of the opinion that it's essential to decipher and distinguish who manufactured the drama; be it McCarthy himself or elements in the media trying to stir a good story from basically nothing. If McCarthy is the root cause of the drama, then fair enough, your concern is justified. If the media has manufactured something, however, it would be wrong to indict McCarthy. That should be fairly obvious.

I mean the "tired" thing last year wasn't manufactured by the media.

No, McCarthy pulled out of the Wales game due to fitness concerns as he was only coming back from an ankle ligament injury that had kept him out for three months. He'd yet to complete a full 90 minutes with Wigan who were still worried and felt the lad needed further treatment. That was a valid reason and was accepted by the FAI and Trap as such; rightly so. The media, from this and a dumb comment from Martinez probably rooted in Martinez' own wish to have McCarthy put international football to the back of his mind for the meantime as struggling Wigan desperately needed him back to full fitness, decided to question McCarthy's loyalty to the Irish cause and began to send fans into a bit of a snowballing panic by suggesting that McCarthy might have pulled out in order to have a rethink on his international future and consider Scotland as an option. This was all in spite of everything coming from McCarthy himself, his family and agent reiterating his allegiance to Ireland. He'd even already represented us at senior level in a friendly game against Brazil. To be honest, I think the episode was an insult to a player who'd faced torrents of abuse from begrudging fans in Scotland unhappy at his choice to play for Ireland whilst at Hamilton, but still he persisted and stuck it out with us. His commitment had never been in question until the media saw the chance to manufacture a juicy story out of a non-issue.

I've a pain in me face with it at this stage... Too many misunderstandings, lost correspondance, media influenced drama, interference from Club manager... All around one player?? It's too often to be coincidence.

What I've mentioned above was one instance of "drama". I've pointed out how it was manufactured completely by the media. The current no-show is another instance, although the full details have yet to emerge. Last I heard, however, the FAI had been contacted on Sunday so the ****-up appears to have been at their end. If that is the case, we can discount this episode as having not been the fault of McCarthy as well. What other instances are giving you face-pains specifically?

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2011, 12:17 PM
McCarthy's totally over-rated anyway. If he plays in any game, let's hope it's v.Macedonia when he might be of some use, but don't get this 'great white hope' label he's somehow been given.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 12:23 PM
McCarthy's totally over-rated anyway. If he plays in any game, let's hope it's v.Macedonia when he might be of some use, but don't get this 'great white hope' label he's somehow been given.

Great ginger hope, surely?

Apparently, chances of him making Macedonia are slim.

geysir
24/05/2011, 2:05 PM
In your opinion he's totally over-rated and yet you hope he plays against Macedonia.

AB, we should throw you away to the OWC wolves.

dantheman
24/05/2011, 2:11 PM
Quick question, can you buy tickets at the stadium or is it online Ticketmaster only? Cheers

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2011, 2:22 PM
There'll be loads of spares floating around.....all at less than cost price, or they should be.

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2011, 2:23 PM
In your opinion he's totally over-rated and yet you hope he plays against Macedonia.

AB, we should throw you away to the OWC wolves.

Hardly. If he's any good, there's a real chance to prove himself. And don't think the rest applies, somehow!

geysir
24/05/2011, 2:39 PM
You don't play a player you have serious doubts about, in at CM in an important qualifier just to prove himself.

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2011, 2:45 PM
Except I wouldn't play him there and don't have 'serious doubts'.
Just think he's currently over-rated on here.

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2011, 2:47 PM
Quick question, can you buy tickets at the stadium or is it online Ticketmaster only? Cheers
Tried to PM you a number of a source, but won't go through and not sure where they are before?
Will try to find out if you like....
Though won't be till around another hr.or so. Say c.6pm.

geysir
24/05/2011, 2:59 PM
Except I wouldn't play him there and don't have 'serious doubts'.
Just think he's currently over-rated on here.

"totally over-rated" which doesn't leave any leeway.

dantheman
24/05/2011, 3:07 PM
Tried to PM you a number of a source, but won't go through and not sure where they are before?
Will try to find out if you like....
Though won't be till around another hr.or so. Say c.6pm.

Sorry I think my account setting where wrong. But if as you say there are a few spares floating around I'll assue there is no major hassle

rebelmusic
24/05/2011, 4:30 PM
Lads, match starts at 3am here and have to be in work for 9. So if anyone feels like recording it and posting online I'll owe them a nights pints on me!!

Raheny Red
24/05/2011, 4:52 PM
Line ups please?

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 5:56 PM
Republic of Ireland: S Given, P McShane, D Delaney, S Kelly, M Wilson, L Lawrence or S Coleman, K Andrews, K Foley or K Fahey, K Treacy, R Keane, S Cox.

Northern Ireland: A Blayney, A Thompson, C Cathcart, G McAuley, L Hodson, J Carson, S Clingan, S Davis, J Gorman, W Feeney, J McQuoid.

Interesting line up.

greendeiseboy
24/05/2011, 5:58 PM
according to RTE Wilson has now being dropped from starting line up...anyone know why?

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 6:07 PM
Volcanic ash I would imagine :)

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 6:12 PM
I know the Stoke players arrived late and only Wilson was scheduled to start. Perhaps Trap just got confused and called Ward "Wilson" in the presser?

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 6:20 PM
Final team:

Republic of Ireland: S Given, P McShane, D Delaney, S Kelly, S Ward, S Coleman, K Andrews, K Foley, K Treacy, R Keane, S Cox.

Daniel McDonnell on Twitter:

"Stoke lads don't appear to have made it here at all. Ireland subs are: Forde, Keogh, Lawrence, St Ledger, Hunt, O'Dea, Randolph."

Two goalkeepers on the bench? Desperate. Suppose we could throw Forde on up front in an emergency, Doc-style.

boovidge
24/05/2011, 6:35 PM
maybe displaying giant union flags isn't the best idea if you don't want NI-born nationalist players to play for the FAI? Skin-deep commitment to football for all.

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 6:39 PM
John O'Shea is starting for Manchester United v Juventus tonight at centre half. Hopefully he comes through it OK and is considered for selection on Saturday. We'll need him sharp for Macedonia.

The Nevilles, David Beckham, Nicky Butt and an unnamed footballer also playing. O'Shea and Kuszczak the only non-British players in the team.

awec
24/05/2011, 6:47 PM
maybe displaying giant union flags isn't the best idea if you don't want NI-born nationalist players to play for the FAI? Skin-deep commitment to football for all.
That's our flag ffs.

This is getting ridiculous now.

Paddy Garcia
24/05/2011, 6:52 PM
When will he learn that McShane cant play - unbelievable pass to the opposition

boovidge
24/05/2011, 6:54 PM
That's our flag ffs.

It's not the flag of Northern Ireland. Do you see Wales and Scotland displaying Union Flags? It's even a rare sight at England games nowadays. I've no problem with NI fans flying it or singing GSTQ. Just don't start whinging to FIFA when nationalists dont want to play for you.

Deckydee
24/05/2011, 6:55 PM
McShane?

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 6:56 PM
That's our flag ffs.

I think you need a dash of green in it if you want to attract good Irish players :)

Hibs4Ever
That's our flag ffs.

No it's not, this is

http://www.balloonees.com/images/flags/Northern_Ireland.png

OwenGoal
Can't find a link for this. Anybody?

Paddy Garcia
Sorry to bleat on but now McShane gets Given injured. Better get him off.

Paddy Garcia
24/05/2011, 6:57 PM

http://www.freefootball.org/upcoming.php?id=a

Hibs4Ever
24/05/2011, 6:58 PM

http://www.seeon.tv/view/14438/

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 6:59 PM

Should get something on either of these links:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=117978&part=sports

http://www.livefootballol.com/streaming/friendly/ireland-northern-ireland-24-05-2011.html

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 7:02 PM
Lovely effort from Andrews. Unlucky.

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 7:05 PM
Robbie should of done better

awec
24/05/2011, 7:06 PM
It's not the flag of Northern Ireland. Do you see Wales and Scotland displaying Union Flags? It's even a rare sight at England games nowadays. I've no problem with NI fans flying it or singing GSTQ. Just don't start whinging to FIFA when nationalists dont want to play for you.
Er, it IS the flag of Northern Ireland...

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 7:06 PM
Robbie should of done better

Lack of match sharpness evident.

OwenGoal
24/05/2011, 7:08 PM
Thanks for the links lads

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 7:10 PM
Delighted for that man.

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 7:12 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaala

Good goal, my link is getting a bit blocky. Seems OK now though.

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 7:12 PM
Dreadful from the Linfield goalkeeper. Alan Mannus wouldn't have conceded that goal. Great for Ward though after how long he's had to wait for a cap.

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 7:13 PM
Shocking fumble from the goalie and very slack defending overall after the corner. Delighted for Ward on his debut.

Eirambler
24/05/2011, 7:14 PM
Nordie keeper looks like a total liability, if they stick a few more balls in there he might throw in a few more.

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 7:15 PM
Good goal, my link is getting a bit blocky. Seems OK now though.

Decent enough stream here. (http://blinertv3.blogspot.com/p/tv.html) Smooth enough so far anyway.

awec
24/05/2011, 7:15 PM
It's 1 nil then? Wish I had done that -2 bet after all...

geysir
24/05/2011, 7:18 PM
That Johnny Gorman looks about 14.

Sullivinho
24/05/2011, 7:24 PM
Pi$$ poor stuff from the wee country there.

boovidge
24/05/2011, 7:24 PM
he's still got it