PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Pennant wants Irish call up

Pages : [1] 2 3

bwagner
08/03/2011, 7:56 AM
Stoke's Jermaine Pennant wants Republic of Ireland call

Pennant played 24 times for the England Under-21 side
Stoke City winger Jermaine Pennant has confirmed that he would like to play for the Republic of Ireland after revealing he has an Irish grandfather.

The ex-England Under-21 man has been in contact with the Football Association of Ireland about a possible call-up.

"I'm 28, I'm not getting any younger and I'd like to play international football, whether it's with England or Ireland," he told BBC Radio Stoke.

"I'd love to play for England but it's just never happened."

The former Arsenal and Liverpool man continued: "I don't think it's going to happen, not because of my ability, but maybe misdemeanours in the past that have put that to a halt.

"They're looking at younger, up-and-coming talent which is great for England.

"Who's to say that Ireland can't get to the next World Cup? If I could be a part of that with Ireland, that would be great.

"If I've got a chance to play international football with Ireland, I'm going to take it with both hands.

"They've asked previously and I said 'I want to try and play for England', but I never closed the door on it.

"I actually looked into it and texted my agent. I think he's contacted them to say 'he's eligible to play and he's interested', so we'll see what happens.

"Now they know that I'm interested, maybe they'll start watching me in games.

"You can't just click your fingers and say 'pick me for the team'. You've got to be playing well for your club before you play for any country."

Pennant won 24 caps for the England Under-21 side but failed to make the step up to the senior side.

He has played 25 games for Stoke since his loan move from Real Zaragoza in August, which was made permanent during the January transfer window.

There were reports that Pennant had been fined hundreds of pounds for leaving his Porsche in the car park at a railway station in Spain, but he said that the episode had been "blown out of proportion".

Pennant said: "I left it there for three weeks and my friend went to pick it up for me.

"The Spanish press wrote that I left it there for five months and they also said the club [Real Zaragoza] contacted me to tell me that the Porsche was at the station.

"When I replied saying ''no it's not, my friend has picked it up', they put in the papers that I'd replied 'oh, I didn't know I had a Porsche'.

"So the English press have run it off the Spanish press and now it's blown out of all proportion."

elroy
08/03/2011, 8:00 AM
Bit surprising, cant say I realised he was eligible. Dont need him though, questionable reputation and we already have plenty of strength in depth in his position.

noddy102
08/03/2011, 8:27 AM
No.

Just, no.

amaccann
08/03/2011, 8:38 AM
Nice to see our international team is so highly respected and valued by players.

ArdeeBhoy
08/03/2011, 8:42 AM
If he's eligible, why not?

But seriously, too much flair for Trap.

Supreme feet
08/03/2011, 8:52 AM
The fear here is that Pennant's a 'big' enough name that Trap and his coaching team would probably take him on board, with no regard for how the fans feel. When Green announced that he had Irish roots, he was parachuted straight in, despite the fact that there are plenty of Irish-born players like Garvan, Healy, Michael Doyle and Stephen Quinn playing at a similar level. I would be gutted if he made a squad at the expense of, say, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey or Coleman, and so would a lot of people on here. I've no problem with players like Clark declaring at a young age, but Pennant's just taking the p*ss.

noddy102
08/03/2011, 8:53 AM
Why not?

Because he's 28 and has only decided to show interest now.

Why should he be given a call-up over some younger player who has gone through our youth system or somebody else who is keener to play for Ireland and has been keen from a young age.

He's only interested because he wants to tick off 'international football' on his CV and potentially play at a World Cup. F*** off.

boovidge
08/03/2011, 8:54 AM
would he even get in the squad anyway? we don't really need wingers.

boovidge
08/03/2011, 8:56 AM
Why not?

Why should he be given a call-up over some younger player who has gone through our youth system or somebody else who is keener to play for Ireland and has been keen from a young age.

He's only interested because he wants to tick off 'international football' on his CV and potentially play at a World Cup. F*** off.

Does he drink Guinness though?

the bear
08/03/2011, 9:01 AM
the poor fella doesn't seem to realise that he's a donkey. not good enough, so the rest is irrelevant

Jicked
08/03/2011, 9:05 AM
If he's eligible, why not?

But seriously, too much flair for Trap.

What? I must have been missing all this flair down the years. He'd have no chance of getting in the team ahead of our superior right wingers so his nationality is a moot point in my book.

Junior
08/03/2011, 9:27 AM
Thanks, but no thanks.

cornflakes
08/03/2011, 9:42 AM
Call him up for that US trip, he'l probably pull out and we can forget about him then

paul_oshea
08/03/2011, 9:44 AM
I wonder did he tell them his name was ashley Cole when applying to the fai?

pineapple stu
08/03/2011, 9:47 AM
Same as John Aldridge so.

tetsujin1979
08/03/2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks, but no thanks. One quick google search came back with this article on skysports.com, from less that 2 weeks ago: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11701_6784146,00.html

"I don't give Tony Pulis problems so why would I give Fabio Capello a problem? I'm not a person who goes into a dressing room and causes aggro.
"Sometimes, I'm a bit lively and bubbly, but that isn't a bad thing. I'm not disrespectful to people, I'm not rude to managers. I listen to what they say. I'd still like a chance for England."

Scooby Doo
08/03/2011, 10:07 AM
Toddle on Jermaine....

Here's the radio interview in full.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/9417873.stm

Comes across as extremely blasé about his chances to play for 'Aye-land'.
I'd be disgusted if this pretender came in and took the place of, say, Stephen Hunt or McGeady.

noddy102
08/03/2011, 10:20 AM
Same as John Aldridge so.

Except Aldridge never was apart of any international youth setup, among the other blindingly obvious reasons why they aren't comparable examples at all, bar perhaps their age similarities.

Murfinator
08/03/2011, 10:37 AM
Thats great if there's an injury crisis but otherwise Duff, McGeady and Coleman all play in his position and all are better players than him and playing for better clubs so thanks but no thanks.

pineapple stu
08/03/2011, 10:43 AM
bar perhaps their age similarities.
Which was the point I was just putting in perspective.

I actually agree with you overall.

Fixer82
08/03/2011, 11:13 AM
No.

Just, no.

I concur

Stuttgart88
08/03/2011, 11:28 AM
This doesn't pass my "gut instinct" test at all.

geysir
08/03/2011, 12:28 PM
How long would a Porsche remain parked near Connolly Station?

Wolfie
08/03/2011, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't be happy with this one at all.

Brendan 82
08/03/2011, 12:40 PM
It would be funny if he declares and just never gets called up

Noelys Guitar
08/03/2011, 12:42 PM
Sounds like he wants away from Stoke or a raise of some sort. Agent "Raise your profile J".

geysir
08/03/2011, 12:42 PM
It would be funny if he declares and just never gets called up
There's always Wales.

boovidge
08/03/2011, 12:51 PM
let the North have him?

Wolfie
08/03/2011, 12:55 PM
Failing that, he could carve out a niche role as a triangular flag that the German captain hands to the oppositions captain before the start of a game.

geysir
08/03/2011, 12:58 PM
That's not germane to the thread topic.

theworm2345
08/03/2011, 1:22 PM
He's also eligible for Jamaica, not sure why he won't play for them. Anyway he can't be worse than McGeady.

Sullivinho
08/03/2011, 1:22 PM
http://www.jamaicafootballfederation.com/contact.htm

Here you go Jermaine. Best of luck. Believe in yourself!

theworm2345
08/03/2011, 1:35 PM
http://www.jamaicafootballfederation.com/contact.htm

Here you go Jermaine. Best of luck. Believe in yourself!
That won't work, the JFF don't really have their act together when it comes to uncapped Jamaica-eligible players in England even when the players try to make contact themselves. ;)

TrapAPony
08/03/2011, 1:39 PM
24 caps for the English U21s means he's going to get a call up for us. I think we should give him a look. Better to give him 1 cap and have him as an option anyway - IMO.

shakermaker1982
08/03/2011, 1:52 PM
Decent player but not Irish. No thanks.

I played against him when I was a young lad. 28. Time flies!!!

back of the net
08/03/2011, 2:24 PM
He said: "I'd love to play for England, of course I would, but it's just never happened and to be quite honest I don't think it's going to happen"

The first part of his quote says it all really......

Scooby Doo
08/03/2011, 2:45 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0308/pennantj_ireland.html

Make of this what you will....

Very quick response from this side of the water. Although its probably just the result of some pro-active hack who got the standard FAI 'all eligable players will be considered' response - which very quickly changes to 'Ireland to land Pennant!'

This case reminds me of the Jon Macken situation during Kerr's reign. A journey-man English footballer seeking an international football heyday.

Park_Lane
08/03/2011, 2:59 PM
No thanks, we dont want or need him.

Junior
08/03/2011, 3:00 PM
This doesn't pass my "gut instinct" test at all.

I'm surprised it crossed your desk Stutts

Park_Lane
08/03/2011, 3:02 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0308/pennantj_ireland.html

Make of this what you will....

Very quick response from this side of the water. Although its probably just the result of some pro-active hack who got the standard FAI 'all eligable players will be considered' response - which very quickly changes to 'Ireland to land Pennant!'

This case reminds me of the Jon Macken situation during Kerr's reign. A journey-man English footballer seeking an international football heyday.

You have to laugh at the caption that accompanies his picture on that article "Former England under-21 international Jermaine Pennant has texted his agent to declare interest in playing for the Republic of Ireland"
Obviously very keen to declare for us that he would go to the trouble and effort of texting his agent! :rolleyes:

Fixer82
08/03/2011, 3:07 PM
from rte.ie

"The 28-year-old Stoke winger, who has represented England at Under-21 level, has admitted he has given up hope of winning senior caps for the country of his birth and indicated he wants to turn instead to Ireland, for whom he believes he qualifies through his grandfather."

ya mean he's not even sure??? :cow:

Maroon 7
08/03/2011, 3:30 PM
28 and suddenly decides he'd like to play for Ireland. Thanks but no thanks.

paul_oshea
08/03/2011, 3:31 PM
I wonder who strayed

TrapAPony
08/03/2011, 3:36 PM
28 and suddenly decides he'd like to play for Ireland.

Didn't Aldridge do the same.

CraftyToePoke
08/03/2011, 4:25 PM
24 caps for the English U21s means he's going to get a call up for us. I think we should give him a look. Better to give him 1 cap and have him as an option anyway - IMO.

Those caps were a long time ago. He has largely blown a promising career and now is being very disrespectful in how he has chosen to approach this. We should not be a back up late career plan for bums like this. Our national side should hold itself in better regard, and if the maganement wont do that maybe its time for the supporters to join together somehow and make that clear, managers and players come and go but it is our national side, that remains. IMO.

osarusan
08/03/2011, 4:29 PM
For me, the only question is whether he brings anything to the team/squad we don't have already have. I don't really think so.

CraftyToePoke
08/03/2011, 4:30 PM
Didn't Aldridge do the same.

Aldridge is not a like for like comparison here as has been pionted out elsewhere I believe. This guy fancies a world cup on his CV and is looking to use us to get it because he blew his real career, he isnt even sure if he qualifies, how Irish is that? Come on now, would you really be comfortable with this guy in a squad going to a finals ahead of a player who actually got us to those finals? And had given loyal service over several campaigns? It would be a bleak day.

That said, I dont think he would make our squad anyway.

TrapAPony
08/03/2011, 4:50 PM
he isnt even sure if he qualifies, how Irish is that?

In fairness he clearly states in the interview on BBC that his grandfather is Irish. All I'm saying is that nobody should be dismissed - unless you are from Cobh.

bennocelt
08/03/2011, 4:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks he is absolute crap?

Charlie Darwin
08/03/2011, 5:20 PM
He has a lot of natural ability and I think he does offer something Stoke something they lack when he plays (particularly as an impact player) but he really doesn't do it often enough and he has little interest in defensive work. He's basically an inferior version of McGeady.