PDA

View Full Version : Derry Disgrace !!

eoinh
27/05/2004, 9:56 AM
From Todays Irish Times

Derry City yesterday informed the FAI, through their solicitors, that the club will take legal action in the event that it does not recieve either one of Irelands places in next seasons UEFA cup or compensation. Club officials claim they are entitled to the place on the basis that the Brandywell outfit was the only one to achieve UEFA's A licence standard.

Absolute disgrace - we need the best results we can in europe. they had their chance last year and blew it.

tiktok
27/05/2004, 10:00 AM
already up and running here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=14699)

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2004, 3:20 PM
They have a neck like a jockeys equipment.
Their results in Europe representing the Republic of Ireland in UEFA Club competitions have been universally awful. Starting with the Cardiff City result back in 1988. Not to mention losing to Maribor over two legs at a time when they had never repeat NEVER been in a European club competition prior to this.

dancinpants
29/05/2004, 4:31 PM
You've some f***ing neck!!!. When were UCD ever in Europe you gack? Come back with argument when your team has been in Europe a few times and won.

eoinh
29/05/2004, 4:40 PM
err, UCD have been in europe a good few times. In fact they have never lost a home game.

they played Everton in the Cup-Winners Cup and lost 1-0 on aggregate.

That was over two legs. That was the best any club did in europe that particular season against everton. In the final Everton beat Rapid Vienna 3-1.

In fact Bayern played Everton over two legs and lost 3-1.

In UCDs last appearance in europe they only lost on away goals after two draws.

dancinpants
29/05/2004, 5:20 PM
Erm Sorry eoinh but theyve been in Europe ONCE, in 1984/85 season. But yes they were beat 1-0 by everton on aggregate. But ONCE hardly constitutes a "good few times".

Also Collegetilidie, Derry havent had the best of results in Europe, I'll grant you that but the majority of representatives have taken more serious hammerings than us. Our worst was against Benfica (at that stage one of the best teams in Europe) and that was 6-1 aggregate. Unless you're trying to suggest that UCD would have come away from the Stadium of Light in Lisbon with a better result than a 4-0 beatin'. :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
29/05/2004, 5:31 PM
You want to go and count the games again, Dancinpants? 1984/85 against Everton (lost 0-1 on aggregate) AND 2000/01 against Velbazhd Kyustendil (lost 3-3 on aggregate).

And about that silly Benfica comment - I wonder how we'd do if we ever came up against one of the best sides in Europe? I wonder would we hold them to a 1-0 margin, hitting the bar late on, and earning a standing ovation from the team's fans? Like has happened?

Don't know Derry's European results well enough to make comment on them, but your ignorance of what you're talking about is both irritating and embarrassing.

pineapple stu
29/05/2004, 5:35 PM
Just got Derry's European record off UEFA.Com...

Competition---AP-Pld-W-D--L-GS-GA
ECCC----------3--7--1--0--6--9--24
ECWC---------3--6--1--1--4--1--11
UEFA Cup------3--6--0--1--5--2--11
Total----------9--19-2--2--15-12-46

It may hurt, Dancinpants, but CTID has a point...

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2004, 6:35 PM
Dancin Pants
Are you for real ?
Losing 4-0 to Cardiff?
You cannot be serious. Your European Record is DIRE !Give me A break

Anyway played twice in Europe UNBEATEN AT HOME.
1984/85 U.C.D. 0 Everton 0 European Cup Winners Cup
2000/01 U.C.D. 3 Velbazhd Kyustendil Intertoto Cup

For the record here were the away results
1984/85 Everton 1 U.C.D. 0 European Cup Winners Cup
2000/01 Velbazhd 0 U.C.D. 0 ( We lost on Away goals)

Read it and weep

P.S. My original point about a Neck like a Jockey's B****** is still valid !
Only avoided relegation on the last day last season, ( and one of our Judases scored for ye..a freebie on a bosman see below) and ye have the cheek to try to get into Europe by the backdoor.

Come back and lecture me next time Derry manage not to embarass the League in European club competitions .

P.P.S. Stop using the Bosman as if you are playing in a foreign jurisdiction!
If we are good enough for ye to play in our League ; then you are technically with us in all things. You ethically should not enjoy the best of both worlds. Pick up your freebies from the Irish League instead.

dancinpants
30/05/2004, 3:19 AM
Ok fair enough you've been in Europe twice sorry about that. But Pineapple, I dont see why I should feel embarassed because I was "ignorant" enough to forget that ye made a recent appearance. If anything it says alot about how little UCD bring to the League of Ireland. Bottom line is we were good enough to get there more than twice.

And Collegetilyoudie, our European record may be dire if you look at the grand scheme of things...so in that context UCD's DOMESTIC record is abysmal.So come back to me when you win another few honours.

CollegeTillIDie
30/05/2004, 9:06 AM
Three points

1/ Pat Jennings Junior

2/ Ciaran Martyn

3/ Clive Delaney

These 3 current Candystripes were developed, and turned into Premier Division players at Belfield. If you want to know why UCD don't have more trophies... you got all of them for SWEET F*** ALL from us.
We got no transfer fees from you for James Keddy either back in 1996 and he only won the League with you.

In fact the only ex UCD player signed by Derry directly from us we ever got a fee for was Tony McCarthy and that was back in the LAST MILLENIUM!

So don't get high and mighty with me till your club starts to behave like it is of us and not merely with us. I have never had a problem with Derry playing in the Eircom League, but if you are in the LEague you are in for a cent and in for A EURO. Behave like a full member of the League. IF the Republic of Ireland is good enough to represent in club competitions then it is also good enough to be a complete member of it's upper football echelons... PAY YOUR WAY

If we have made such a little contribution to the Eircom League you can send them back to us by parcel post

patsh
30/05/2004, 10:17 AM
The point is that Derry DO NOT DESERVE to be in Europe.
Simply because you close 3 sides of your ground, does not give you the right to claim a place in a European competition.
On top of that, shouldn't ye be more interested in your relegation battle with Home Farm?

jofyisgod
30/05/2004, 11:15 AM
The point is that Derry DO NOT DESERVE to be in Europe.
Simply because you close 3 sides of your ground, does not give you the right to claim a place in a European competition.

Exactly-I used to like Derry as a club, but they have really dropped in my estimations now. This is a disfrace. It should be about football, not f'in licences and legal courts.

Duncan Gardner
30/05/2004, 12:15 PM
To be fair to the candystripes, their record of two wins in UEFA competitions compares well with many IL clubs. The mighty Zalgiris (Lithuania) have never been the same since the disgrace of taking a beating at Crusaders :)

dortie
30/05/2004, 1:52 PM
Pick up your freebies from the Irish League instead.

Ignorant response but here....

Feck off you *****. UC fecking D.....your having a laugh.

Red_terror
30/05/2004, 5:44 PM
The amount of unionist drivel on the message board is appalling from people who cliam to be "irish" get a ****ing grip. Although Dortie what can we expect from someone living inside the pale. Dublin hahaha you treacherous ****er

A face
30/05/2004, 5:51 PM
The amount of unionist drivel

I dunno about unionist drivel but i will agree .... some people have really shown their colours since this whole cropped up. You'd wonder !

CollegeTillIDie
30/05/2004, 6:26 PM
I shall attribute that outburst to the British Education you guys suffered in the occupied territories shall I fellas ? :mad:

Duncan Gardner
30/05/2004, 6:32 PM
The amount of unionist drivel on the message board is appalling from people who cliam to be "irish" get a ****ing grip. Although Dortie what can we expect from someone living inside the pale. Dublin hahaha you treacherous ****er

Could you explain Red? Do you mean anyone criticising Derry's legal action is a unionist? Or that Dublin's a hotbed of unionism? :)

The unionist media in NI seems rather underwhelmed by your rush to law I have to say...

patsh
30/05/2004, 7:44 PM
Hmmm, do some Derry supporters now think that if you criticise their club, that makes you a "unionist" ? :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
30/05/2004, 8:11 PM
But Pineapple, I don't see why I should feel embarassed because I was "ignorant" enough to forget that ye made a recent appearance.

Eh...because your initial comment was "Come back with argument when your team has been in Europe a few times and won." This is a completely idiotic - ignorant, even - way of dodging the issue, which for some reason you have decided to keep up ("So come back to me when you win another few honours." However, now that it has been established that we have the credentials to actually discuss your club ( :rolleyes: ), maybe you'd like to actually address the initial issue raised - i.e. the arrogance of your club in demanding a European place?

dancinpants
30/05/2004, 9:36 PM
Pineapple stu you call my dodging the issue "idiotic and ignorant". Have you read the tripe written about Derry and their standing in this country? Now if you dont think that ****e isnt idiotic and ignorant there is something seriously wrong.It is idiotic and ignorant on a level far beyond what I wrote about UCDs experiences in Europe. Moving on, what also riles me is the fact the everyone refuse to see this situation from a Derry view point. There are supporters just jumping on an anti-Derry bandwagon relating to an issue that doesnt directly involve them. Fans of teams involved in Europe I can understand...mind you that doesnt mean they have the right to bring politics into it. Stu the bottom line on this issue is that a set of criteria were laid out with regards to the lisencing issue...which Derry met...no-one else did. There were knock on effects which affected the team and finances. As being the only holders of the license at that point you would imagine there would be some sort of benefit. But yet again the FAI have decided to bend the rules to suit. It was stated that clubs without the A license would not particapate in Europe, what did you expect Derry to do? Tell me, would UCD not do the same in Derrys position? Do you not think that Shels or Bohs would do the same? Of course they would!!! Without a second thought. If it was Ollie Byrne this would have been in court long before now!!!.
The FAI have been too long making a ****ing laughing stock of this league and the worst about it is they get away with it every time. And to be honest I think the Derry board for one have just had enough of it. This isnt anything against Longford its against the FAI. As a student you should realise that criteria and deadlines not met come with penalties (except inthis joke of a league it would seem)
So what do the FAI do? They all of a sudden decide that Bohs,Shels, and Cork have all got what it takes for an A license...just when Derry mention solicitors!!!....hmmmmm. Did that not raise your eyebrows?...unfortunately because this is the FAI it probably didnt. Then Longford get a dispensation to play at a licensed ground. The irony of it all? If UEFA find that the FAI have acted inappropriately the club found to have recieved a license undeservedly will be banned from Europe this season. Wheres the outcry about this on the MB? Its possible that UEFA will rule the FAI acted within their means but theyre putting alot on the line.
But hey...its easier to attack Derry for their professionalism than the FAI for their UNprofessionalism in the running of this league!!!. Theres two sides to every story.

Longfordian
30/05/2004, 9:53 PM
The meeting to decide on Licence appeals was arranged weeks ago, long before Derry started talking about the courts. The timing may seem dodgy to you bu if you think logically for a second. the deadline for nominating teams for Europe is the 31 may, Monday. When did you think they'd have a Licencing Appeals Committee meeting if not right before the nominations? Why do you think Derry decided to threaten Court action now? Because the nominations are on the 31 May! I cant speak for the other clubs but I know for a fact that we complied with the manual and deserved to pass our criteria. The FAI are not applying anything differently to Longford than with dozens of other clubs around Europe who nominate their national ground or another UEFA approved ground to play their game in because their ground is not up to standard.

UEFA have no problem with that, we passed the other criteria fair and square despite what you, your club or anyone else chooses to believe. I saw the amount of work that went into passing those criteria so I find it highly insulting that you think there must have been something dodgy about us getting a Licence. As you Derry boys say, catch yourself on.

A face
30/05/2004, 10:09 PM
The FAI are not applying anything differently to Longford than with dozens of other clubs around Europe who nominate their national ground or another UEFA approved ground to play their game in because their ground is not up to standard.

Well ...... that is true to be honest .... if it is good for other teams in Europe the Longford should be able to do the same.

pineapple stu
30/05/2004, 10:11 PM
Good Christ!

Your original point was that CTID should "come back with argument when your team has been in Europe a few times and won." That is what I am calling idiotic, ignorant and dodging the issue. It has nothing to do with the "tripe" being written about Derry - it's to do with the tripe being written by you. Explain to me why we have to win something before we can criticise your club?

I dread to think what's going to happen when you finish bottom of the league this season...

CollegeTillIDie
30/05/2004, 10:44 PM
Patsh

probably the polite form of O.B. I would imagine... which in my case is not accurate under either heading but there you go.

dancinpants
30/05/2004, 10:46 PM
Alright then ya *****...I said in Europe a few times not ****in twice so dont criticise Derrys performances when youse hardly ever qualify for Europe...so **** off. How can you call Derry an embarassment when they qualified for competitions that ye were too **** to qualify for? Your poxy wee club represent all that is amateurish about the LOI.

Good Enough For Ye Now???

CollegeTillIDie
30/05/2004, 10:56 PM
Dancinpants

As I said earlier, we have run our affairs as a club within our budget since joining the League in 1979.

In 1991 we were the first team then in the First Division to install floodlights.
This was before the grants were paid out by the F.A.I. from the famous deal done with SKY to allow them to show the Premiership Live in Ireland on days when Eircom League matches took place ( i.e. Sunday Afternoons).
This was achieved by careful management of our own meagre resources and by having a system in place to meet any financial commitments consistently.
The only thing we got from the F.A.I.,when the grants were dished out was slightly higher quality bulbs.

One of our club officials the Late Dr. Tony O'Neill was made a vice-president of UEFA and was part of the inspection committee for grounds for both the club competitions and the EURO 2000 in Holland and Belgium up to the time of his death. Hardly an amateurish achievement.

The fact that we happen never to have gone bankrupt and the club is unwilling to screw up their finances in the interests of short term silverware gain is I think in the present climate to be applauded and not dismissed as amateurish.

We did not have vast gate receipts in the 1980's to squander unlike your club.
And we probably never will.But by the same token we will never go bust because we are the best run club in the League.

And almost every team in the Premier Division of the Eircom League has a player who began his career at U.C.D. or got his first chance to become a regular at the club. Your lot have three such players!

dancinpants
30/05/2004, 11:41 PM
Thank you. You cant even keep your best players. You are a feeder club...not for some big club across the water but the LOI!!!. Also you take great satisfaction at reminding us that we have 3 former UCD players on our books. I dont think I need to remind you that we are second bottom....coincidence? I remember last season that Ciaran Martyn said he could call on his "experiences with UCD to help in the fight against relegation". What does that tell you?.
You were the first to have floodlights you say? I have 3 words for that-So ****ing what!!!. Your club will be forever in the annals of Irish football for that I'm sure. Oh and then there is some dead bloke that assessed stuff. You are a beacon of all that is good and great about Irish soccer!!!. You really broke the mould didnt you. You entered the league in 79 you say? What else have your team accomplished in the 25 years since? - apart from all of your TWO appearances in Europe?. Four years after entering the League of Ireland in 85 Derry made history by completing the domestic treble.We have won the league cup more times than any other club. We have won three FAI cups,two league championships and were runners up on three ocassions.We got promoted after only two seasons in the first division and havent been there since. Granted we were **** last season (and the season before) but as the table shows UCD were WORSE.
You give us crap about having half a ground. That half that we use is still better than Belfield. If it wasnt for away support your home attendances would give the Highland League in Scotland a run for their money. Derry City have never declared bankruptcy...and when they were in dire financial positions the FAI never gave us a hand out like they do to Dublin clubs...the fans and board and connections pulled together and as a result DCFC are now one of the most financially secure clubs in the country. You give us grief for squandering money just to get silverware....DCFC are not in debt like most of the "big clubs" that have gone professional and neglected the licensing just so they could strengthen their squads "and get to the silverware".
Another point,I dont think DCFC want to get anyone kicked out of Europe, I think it is an attempt to get the FAI to come up with more compo. DCFC are taking court action to get compensated for lost revenue.

Red_terror
30/05/2004, 11:54 PM
Idiotic posts containing ****e such as "go back to the irish league" show all that is rotten about free staters, you have long forgotten the suffering our club has endured due to the irish league. Derry fans on this board are often faced with the ignorant attitude that - your brits and priviliged to mix with us in the first place. **** off thats what i say, you lot have short memories i'm as irish as any of the other posters and don't see why this is doubted on here.

dancinpants
31/05/2004, 12:04 AM
.But by the same token we will never go bust because we are the best run club in the League.

If your not amateurish and the best run club in the league where is your A license? Also you ****ers are quick to forget what DCFC brought to this boring arse league in 1985. You didnt know what support,atmosphere and profile were until then

Nuff said.

A face
31/05/2004, 12:17 AM
You didnt know what support,atmosphere and profile were until then.

*cough cough*

Ahem ... what about the other City with all of the above !!

dancinpants
31/05/2004, 1:02 AM
A Face, ye'll get no argument here on that score. Cork City are by far and away the best supported team in this country and IMO deserve success. Flower Lodge never to be forgotten...but my point is, to all these ****s knockin Derry thinkin' we're "guests" in this league need to remember what DCFC brought to this league.

What other League of Ireland team do you remember watching highlights of with Tony Gubba commentating on BBC? (Derry v Benfica). What other LOI team made it on to SKY Sports a la the Four Team Tournament where Derry beat Celtic 3-2 and got beat by Newcastle 2-0 in the final?

But no, we're just an embarassment to you all...we do nothing for LOI soccer. :rolleyes: When Derry nearly went down the tubes,how many people commented in the papers that "the League of Ireland will be a poorer League without them"?. Yet we have to take all this crap from UCD supporters and the like coming on here calling us ignorant...**** off and cop on...we've done more for this league in 19 years than most teams have in more, theyre just too IGNORANT to realise that!!!

tiktok
31/05/2004, 7:48 AM
....Moving on, what also riles me is the fact the everyone refuse to see this situation from a Derry view point.... a set of criteria were laid out with regards to the lisencing issue...which Derry met...no-one else did. There were knock on effects which affected the team and finances

yeah, so as a few people have mentioned, you may be entitled to compo, but not to a European place, you didn't earn it.

It was stated that clubs without the A license would not particapate in Europe, what did you expect Derry to do?

I'd expect Derry not go go looking to get in the back door, if no team that qualified gained an A licence (or if no team werre able to play their home game in a ground with an A licnce) then no team should be allowed to play.

You know, one way you could have got compensation was (since you were the only club with an A licence ground) would have been to rent out your grounds for the other club's 'home' ties, would have helped to get back a bit of the cash you outlayed, if that really was the problem.

wiseman
31/05/2004, 10:43 AM
The only thing that should be an issue here is DCFC looking for compo (typical norrie :D ) because THEY failed to qualify for europe.If you don't qualify from your league position or from winning a trophy then you don't get to play in europe. And as DCFC did not qualify then there is no loss of revenue to be compensated for. Spending money on improving your ground to get the A licence is money well spent AND required under UEFA law.This was not instigated by the FAI so any appeals for compo, for monies spent, should be addressed UEFA.

Club records in europe should not be up for discussion as, come the end of the season when places are allocated, they don't count for shít.
However I have to agree, O££ie Byrne-Laden would not be too shy himself to try it on. And I dare say Mr. Dolan would probably have a rant at how the provincial clubs were getting a raw deal

corkharps
31/05/2004, 12:00 PM
The only thing that should be an issue here is DCFC looking for compo (typical norrie :D ) because THEY failed to qualify for europe.If you don't qualify from your league position or from winning a trophy then you don't get to play in europe. And as DCFC did not qualify then there is no loss of revenue to be compensated for. Spending money on improving your ground to get the A licence is money well spent AND required under UEFA law.This was not instigated by the FAI so any appeals for compo, for monies spent, should be addressed UEFA.

Club records in europe should not be up for discussion as, come the end of the season when places are allocated, they don't count for shít.
However I have to agree, O££ie Byrne-Laden would not be too shy himself to try it on. And I dare say Mr. Dolan would probably have a rant at how the provincial clubs were getting a raw deal

Derry don't own their ground and didn't spend any money to improve it,therefore my question is WHAT DID THEY SPEND AND WHAT DID THEY SPEND IT ON?

What exactly are ye claiming compo for? :confused:

Dazzy
31/05/2004, 12:53 PM
The council do **** all for the ground, it major improvements have to be made the council dont pay for it.

Schumi
31/05/2004, 12:53 PM
Competition---AP-Pld-W-D--L-GS-GA
Total----------9--19-2--2--15-12-46

They'd kill for a league record like that now!

I have no intention of getting into the whole anti-Derry thing as I have never had any problems in the Brandywell or with any Derry fans I've met (and there's few enough clubs you can say that about) but to attempt to get into Europe without qualifying is ridiculous. That's all there is to this, an opportunistic stunt by the Derry board, nothing to do with the North (which comments are well out of order IMO) or their record in Europe or anything else.

Dazzy
31/05/2004, 1:03 PM
We do not deserve to get into Europe, anyway the way are team is at the moment we would get ****ed over by one of the worst teams in Europe :p

pineapple stu
31/05/2004, 5:17 PM
Alright then ya *****...I said in Europe a few times not ****in twice so dont criticise Derrys performances when youse hardly ever qualify for Europe...so **** off. How can you call Derry an embarassment when they qualified for competitions that ye were too **** to qualify for? Your poxy wee club represent all that is amateurish about the LOI.

Good Enough For Ye Now???

DP, I'm not returning to this thread, but just want to explain where I'm coming from. I was not knocking Derry's European record (I merely posted the record), nor am I praising UCD's - however, what I am getting at is comments like "You've some f***ing neck!!!. When were UCD ever in Europe you gack? Come back with argument when your team has been in Europe a few times and won." or "So come back to me when you win another few honours." - implying that we can't comment as we're a smaller club than you. In fact,your post above continues the theme of us not being allowed to comment because we're lower than you. If you still can't see how that's ignorant, than I really don't know how I can make it any simpler for you. Maybe I should get a Bohs fan to explain things to you, as by your logic, he could dismiss you until you've won a few more leagues or a round in Europe? :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2004, 9:44 PM
The point I have been making all along is UCD have never asked for a hand out or ever really needed one. Proving that we are the best run club in the League. This is in Company terms the 3rd of 4th different Derry City since 1985.

My point about your European Record is valid. The team that went on to win the treble lost 0-4 away to Cardiff City.. who were a very low ranked 3rd Division team at the time. That is not professional that is shambolic.

Your colleague Dazzy is correct. The team you had last season did not deserve to qualify for Europe in fact they barely deserve to still be in the bloody Premier Division. Football is still a meritocracy and money in the bank and crowd numbers do not decide who deserves to succeed. That is on the field.

Last season we failed that test. The fact that we survived 9 seasons in the Premier was purely on merit. We have a fair amount of silverware for a club of our size over the past 25 years, but you are too ignorant to acknowledge that and too damn lazy to check out the facts.

If the players your club signed from us are not top quality in your colours, it is hardly our fault.
Someone in the management of your club decided to bloody well sign them.
By the way how many managers have your club gone through in the past few seasons? I have lost count.

As you say yourself up North... Cop yourself on you tube !

dortie
01/06/2004, 9:10 AM
By the way how many managers have your club gone through in the past few seasons? I have lost count.

As you say yourself up North... Cop yourself on you tube !

3 managers.....

Never said that in my life you tax-dodger

CollegeTillIDie
01/06/2004, 7:13 PM
Dortie

I pay my taxes by the Pay As you Earn system as it happens, the level of this debate is sinking so fast , that one would need diving equipment at this stage .

P.S. Kevin Mahon, Dermot Keeley, Gavin Dykes is that right?

Gary
01/06/2004, 7:21 PM
Derry have been a poor excuse for a team for the last few years. They were bloody haunted to stay in the premier last time round, and at the rate they are going, it wont be Home Farm in the 1st Div next season.

Question is though, at this point, would they be any loss? From a footballing point of view, no.

pineapple stu
01/06/2004, 7:57 PM
and at the rate they are going, it won't be Home Farm in the 1st Div next season.

Question is - can they be relegated? Whatever about getting into Europe, I can't see them losing a case where they, with an A licence, are replaced by a team with a B licence.