PDA

View Full Version : Keane Doubt?

Pages : [1] 2

Declan_Michael
25/05/2004, 9:39 AM
ROY KEANE'S eagerly-awaited return to international action could be postponed once again.

Kerr has already excused Keane for the games against Nigeria, Jamaica and Holland because of "domestic commitments" which were entered into prior to his return to the Ireland fold. So, if he misses out on Thursday, his comeback will be delayed until the August friendly against Bulgaria.

Full story below (requires log in)

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1187662

brendy_éire
25/05/2004, 9:44 AM
"he is now a big doubt for Thursday's game against Romania at Lansdowne Road because of knee and thigh injuries"

Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 9:45 AM
Gary Breen is giong to miss it too along with Duff and Mc Ateer and Delap and Kilbane. It is thought that Keane may travel anyway despite taking a bad whack to the knee on saturday.

only1kilbane
25/05/2004, 9:55 AM
thats big of him eh !

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 9:59 AM
Its not really big of him at all just thats a fact, and we should not concentrate on one player pullilng out or maybe pulling out when there are lots of others that are injured too. The facts are he may pull out after been examined by the doctors. He did take one hell of a whack on saturday and it did come when they were 3-0 up and many players would have their slippers on. Are we going to have these snide comments every time there is an Ireland squad. I support every players that is picked in our squad and maybe some others should adopt that policy. I mean that for critics of Kilbate, Holland, Keane and any others that people have a problem. The time has come not to be split and for all of us to get behind the players fullly

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 10:02 AM
come on will u support your team and not be making snide comments about players that play for us

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 10:10 AM
It is ok to be critical of a manager but not critical of players as I dont think it is good for morale for the supporters. What good is it if we all go to LR, on thursday or to an away game and we are arguing in the stands about the merits of Keane, or Holland or Kilbane and some people booing keane, or booing Kilbane when they get the ball. This is not productive and will not do any good. Whereas after a game is ok to vent your dissapproval and that you want a change in manager. But booing of players or been critical and basically dividing the support when their is no need to. Look get over it,, you obviously dont like Keane cause you support leeds Utd. it is so obvious and you should not bring English club backgrounds into your support of the irish football team. Get over it move on, support your team, wear the colours go to the games, but dont bicker lets have a laugh, make football to be fun,

Declan_Michael
25/05/2004, 10:10 AM
If he's injured for Thursday, fine. Can't help that.

However, found this. Teams from a recent friendly between Brazil - France.

France: Coupet, Thuram, Gallas, Boumsong, Desailly (Mendy 46), Makelele, Vieira, Pires (Wiltord 46), Zidane (Kapo 69), Henry, Trezeguet.
Subs Not Used: Landreau, Armand, Mexes, Dacourt, Pedretti, Govou, Luyindula, Saha.

Brazil: Dida, Cris, Edmilson, Luisao, Carlos, Cafu, Juninho (Julio Baptista 79), Ze Roberto (Edu 46), Kaka (Alex 46), Ronaldinho, Ronaldo.
Subs Not Used: Fabio, Roque Junior, Junior, Belletti, Juan, Silva, Kleberson, Adriano.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3734245.stm

Look at the star names - no "domestic commitments" for any of them.

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 10:31 AM
get over it all that bitterness is probably not doing yoru heart any good you know and you main start to get chest pains or something so do yourself a favour and enjoy the Irish team and have some at the match on thursday night and the away games too.

lopez
25/05/2004, 10:40 AM
Kerr has already excused Keane for the games against Nigeria, Jamaica and Holland because of "domestic commitments" which were entered into prior to his return to the Ireland fold. So, if he misses out on Thursday, his comeback will be delayed until the August friendly against Bulgaria.Well, well. After slagging off the Irish coaching staff for being unproffessional we have a stituation where a player is given preferential treatment...even though he hasn't played for two years.

Connor, can't remember the last time Judas played in a friendly but I bet I had hair then.

Question for our betting friends? What's the odds on J never playing for Ireland again? I smell a rat here. :mad:

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 10:43 AM
Several players are missing these game for domestic commitments and to be honest me or you dont know the reasons. The could be serious. His children could be sick and have to go into hospital or anythign so it is far from us to judge why. I think you are hoping he never plays again. Me i prefer to look at the more positive aspects of football and enjoy the game for what it is and not be so hung up on negativity and personal vendettas.

Macy
25/05/2004, 10:44 AM
Conor - did you watch the Cup Final on Saturday? Keane was taken out of it in the last few minutes, when he cleared from the United penalty area.

btw what's away friendlies got to do with it - this one is a home one?

Roo69
25/05/2004, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Conor74]
For 2 points, when was the last time Keane played in an Irish away friendly?

QUOTE]

Czech Republic 25-Mar-98 ?????????
Wales 11-Feb-97 ????????
Holland 4-Jun-96 ???????

I reckon it was one of these 3

It's a shame his injured for the Romania match, most p[layers wouldnt have bothered breaking there balls to make that tackle on saturday, especially when 3 up with only a few minutes left ! but thats Roy for ya ! Committed. Hopefully well see him soon enough though if he doesnt make it.

Has anyone been called up to replace all the drop outs ? must be 4 or 5 of them now

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 11:06 AM
well when you are a leeds fan you hardly need to look at cup finals, 1973 is probably the last one was it, not too sure on that

lopez
25/05/2004, 11:25 AM
I think you are hoping he never plays again.Well hoping that he DOES seems to be a waste of time. Nice story about the kids in hospital, but let's be honest here, the kids have got nothing to do with it.

Czech Republic 25-Mar-98 ?????????
Wales 11-Feb-97 ????????
Holland 4-Jun-96 ???????
I always thought it was Portugal 92 in Boston. :confused: Maybe it's his problem with travel sickness. :D

only1kilbane
25/05/2004, 11:29 AM
the dodgy injuries do seem to be surfacing again though hopefully he is not pulling out due to mr fergusons insistance. If he plays thursday lets all support him if not get on without him. Would rather he plays just to get all the **** out of the way even if only for half an hour due to him not been 100%

PaulB
25/05/2004, 11:45 AM
Finally.

2 points winging their way to Roo - think it was the 1998 one.

Missed the Cup Final, Macy, shopping for fireplaces seemed much more interesting to me!

Wales 1997 was his last away Friendly. pre Siapan we had only played 3 away friendlies since 1996 (excl Us cup in 2000)..

petef
25/05/2004, 11:49 AM
We really need our full squad for the dutch game next week as no doubt they will be at full strength coming up to euro 2004

tiktok
25/05/2004, 12:05 PM
We really need our full squad for the dutch game next week as no doubt they will be at full strength coming up to euro 2004

We don't need to win friendlies, we need to have a look at some fringe players and to try and work out our best eleven. The Dutch may well be at full strength, but I'd sooner come out with a loss and discover that Douglas can do a good job for us in midfield rather than win with Holland and Kinsella in the centre.

Winning this type of match shouldn't be a priority.

petef
25/05/2004, 12:16 PM
A heavy defeat is not what we want either, we need a reasonably full strength side to start then see what changes are to be made.

tiktok
25/05/2004, 12:19 PM
A heavy defeat is not what we want either, we need a reasonably full strength side to start then see what changes are to be made.

fair enough, we don't want to get whipped, but at this stage Kerr should know the bulk of his strongest side and should be experimenting in areas where he has doubts, IMO that should be the priority over the upcoming games

Roo69
25/05/2004, 1:11 PM
the dodgy injuries do seem to be surfacing again though hopefully he is not pulling out due to mr fergusons insistance. If he plays thursday lets all support him if not get on without him. Would rather he plays just to get all the **** out of the way even if only for half an hour due to him not been 100%

Seriously ! will people ever stop this feigning injuries stuff ! its getting stupid at this stage ! Anyone who watched the match on saturday will know Keane took 2 heavy knocks ! one to his face and another to his knee/thigh ! i actually thought he had done serious damage the way he went down ! thought it was he cruiacte again, thank god i was wrong.

cullenswood
25/05/2004, 2:11 PM
Yeah, let's move on. New topic.

'The unfortunate timing of Ryan Gigg's injuries and Wales friendlies', anyone?

Good point Conor, plenty of other players pull out of friendlies.

I hate all this jump on the bandwagon muck that goes with Keano. He did take two knocks on Saturday, and agreeing with a previous post, I also though his cruciate was gone again, cos the way he was lying on the ground, looked the exact same as it was after the infamous Haaland tackle.

Keano has always given everything to Ireland in the competitive matches and that is what counts, big time.

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 2:36 PM
ok if it is a valid charge, name one time that Keane faked injury for ireland in order not to play. NOw do u have proff of his medical records, are you a doctor on when and when not players should play or are you just going on hearsay rather than fact.

Name one time that Keane Faked injury for ireland

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 2:44 PM
From the Fai website

Roy Keane is due to join up with the Republic of Ireland squad on Tuesday evening and manager Brian Kerr is hoping that he can prove his fitness ahead of Thursday's friendly international with Romania in Lansdowne Road.

The former Ireland captain suffered a knock on his thigh and knee in Manchester United's FA Cup final victory over Millwall and has remained in Manchester to undergo treatment though Kerr is hopeful that he will prove his fitness on Wednesday.

"He will come in this evening (Tuesday). He stayed behind to get treatment because he was very sore after the game but we'll see how he is when he gets here," said Kerr.

The manager has repeatedly stressed that he wants to bed the Manchester United man back into the squad in a friendly game rather than in the white-hot atmosphere of a competitive match, though, on Tuesday, he insisted that, although important, it wasn't imperative.

"I think it's important enough, but it's not the most important thing that we'll be doing over the next two weeks with these four matches. There are a lot of players here who we want to take a look at and give a try out to.

"It will broaden our base and I know that one or two players who are currently on the fringes of the squad will push their way into the reckoning for a starting place in the World Cup qualifiers."

Meanwhile, John O'Shea didn't train on his ankle problem on Tuesday morning, though Kerr is hoping he will train on Wednesday while Liam Miller came through training with no problems. Nottingham Forest's John Thompson has been added to the squad following Gary Breen's withdrawal on Monday night while Jason McAteer will not come in for training until Monday at the earliest.

"Sunderland have had a lot of games recently and Jason is struggling so I suggested that he miss the first two games and come in for the second two," said Kerr

Macy
25/05/2004, 2:48 PM
As for bandwagon jumping, didn't realise when McCarthy accused Keane of faking injury he was 'jumping on a bandwagon'. It seems to be a valid charge, though one that should have not been aired by a manager in front of other players.
Conor, I hope this isn't an Iran Away game reference, as we've been through this before. He hadn't played for United in the lead-up to the home leg, and McCarthy and SAF did a deal where he would play the home leg and not the away. There could've been no arguement if he didn't play, but he went out of his way to make that game. It was common knowledge at the time, and anyone who says they weren't happy with that deal at the time are liars - everyone was delighted.

Macy
25/05/2004, 2:51 PM
"Sunderland have had a lot of games recently and Jason is struggling so I suggested that he miss the first two games and come in for the second two," said Kerr
btw do you still think it wasn't unprofessional of young (sic) Jason not to be getting píssed on the tele a week ago?

Sheridan
25/05/2004, 2:54 PM
btw do you still think it wasn't unprofessional of young (sic) Jason not to be getting píssed on the tele a week ago?
I have no interest in this debate, but I just wanted to say that I've read that sentence over at least ten times and it still makes no sense to me.

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 3:12 PM
you still have not named one time when he faked injury for ireland.

Macy
25/05/2004, 3:27 PM
I wasn't. I thought it was rubbish then, particularly when he managed a full 90 minutes against Bayern Munich a few days later. I thought it was rubbish that he didn't travel, and that he spent the day training in Manchester. Mick's later admission only confirmed that. The fact that Keane was irate at the leaking of their nice little arrangement suggests that he knows that, far from being 'delighted' many people would be annoyed by a player who would (whether rightly or not) be perceived as cherry picking the games that suited him. In fact, I don't know anyone who was 'delighted' that Keane missed a game, his fans were surely concerned about his injury and others of us were sceptical as to the extent of any injury.
So you weren't happy he made at least one of the games, when he probably shouldn't have played? At the very least, if he was looking for excuses for not playing he had a great one that he ignored. Don't think he was irate at the leaking of the information - my recollection is that he was irate that McCarthy was using it as an example at the team meeting when it clearly an agreement between them. McCarthy had signed up to it, so why was it a problem then.

Sheridan - I was going off topic a bit, seeing as it was debated whether it was professional or not for McAteer to go on the telethon effort the day after Sunderland lost the playoff's. Probably too many negatives in the sentence though :)

tiktok
25/05/2004, 3:31 PM
In fact, I don't know anyone who was 'delighted' that Keane missed a game, his fans were surely concerned about his injury and others of us were sceptical as to the extent of any injury.

you know well that's not what Macy was getting at Conor, come on. :rolleyes:
I know plenty that were delighted that he played in the first game against Iran when he'd been out of the United team for over a month before it.

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 3:37 PM
YOu have no proof that he faked injury for Ireland, He played ina game that he had been out for a month previously, he did not play in the next game that was in Iran which is a long plane journey as he was sore after the 1st leg. He went back to Manchester a got treatment and rest and manged to play in a match 7 days or so after the 1st leg, So where is ther problem with that, hardly faking injury. YOu have no proof that he faked injury for Ireland it is all just conjecture.

Macy
25/05/2004, 3:40 PM
I didn't think you would play the 'McCarthy did it so it must be right' card Macy... ;)
McCarthy was right to come to the arrangement so that he played the first leg. He was a total dick to then use it in that meeting against the player. Hope that clears it up, you WUM. :)

tricky_colour
25/05/2004, 4:19 PM
Haven't I read this thread before? :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 4:27 PM
yeah it is boring are we going to have this discussion every time a squad is announced and some players are injured. As i said earlier there are serveral withdrawals from these few friendlies so what all this concentration on one player. As i said it is time to move on and bury the hatchet and not have this boring debate every time. Lets support the Irish team, with Keane, Holland Kilbane, Breen, and Kerr in charge we can go far.

Beavis
25/05/2004, 6:05 PM
It is ok to be critical of a manager but not critical of players as I dont think it is good for morale
That works nicely....

On other topic Keane played 90mins against Leicester in the league 2 days after Iran away.Could this precious 90 not have been better expended on WC qualification ,rather than a fairly straight forward league win?

lopez
25/05/2004, 7:39 PM
you still have not named one time when he faked injury for ireland.You don't need to fake injuries when you can get yourself deals with the Irish manager. Deals to skip a game (spin of Judasites: it's not a game skipped - be gratefull because you can't see what's about to come post-Saipan - but a game played), deals to skip more games with this 'domestic crisis' sh*te (more spin from Judasites: their only friendlies, so what the heck). He's a part-timer for Ireland...sorry he's not even that at the moment. :rolleyes:

Condex
25/05/2004, 8:49 PM
We know how good Keane is all he need to do is play in a couple of friendlies
before the qualifiers begin.

I like to see him in August in the match against Bulgaria hopefully Kilbane will be available, could be a good partnership.

tricky_colour
26/05/2004, 2:41 AM
That works nicely....

On other topic Keane played 90mins against Leicester in the league 2 days after Iran away.Could this precious 90 not have been better expended on WC qualification ,rather than a fairly straight forward league win?

Maybe he was fit by then?

Should he have to miss the rest of the season because he missed an
Ireland match?

Did you really expect Ireland to lose by 2 goals without him?

If they did they didn't deserve to go, and it would have been
a waste of time sending such a hopeless bunch anyway.

Please stop whingeing and see things in perspective :rolleyes:

Ever been ill and recovered after a couple of days later?

I am sure you would expect to be sacked from work if that happened
to you!!

only1kilbane
26/05/2004, 8:09 AM
Can we stop this thread it has been discussed many times before and we all have our opinions which have been said before. Hopefully the fella will play just to stop all the crap over whether he really injured or not. Then we can all go on to support the Ireland team as a whole instead of bickering about one player.

only1kilbane
26/05/2004, 10:00 AM
ffs get over it ! whats done is done lets move on as one instead of bickering over one bloke . Injured or not he is back in the team like it or lump it he is going to be wearing an Ireland jersey soon. some people really need to get off there high horse

NeilMcD
26/05/2004, 11:55 AM
hear, hear, well said, kilbane,

Éanna
26/05/2004, 12:08 PM
If he is to play for Ireland in a competitive game, he needs one or two friendlies at least to get used to the new management, and to new players. If he doesn't play any of the firendlies he shouldn't play against France. Simple. As for the injury, I have my doubts, but we've gone over this so many times, I'm sick of it

tiktok
26/05/2004, 12:33 PM
If he doesn't play any of the firendlies he shouldn't play against France.

i'd wait to see what other options we'd have before making that call, but I'd agree that he needs a few games under his belt, the team has changed a bit since he last played and obviously management will have a different approach.

Éanna
26/05/2004, 12:46 PM
i'd wait to see what other options we'd have before making that call, but I'd agree that he needs a few games under his belt, the team has changed a bit since he last played and obviously management will have a different approach.
I'm not even saying that because its him. I have my opinions on it, but that aside, I think that goes for any player except in a dire emergency.

NeilMcD
26/05/2004, 3:11 PM
Keane still hopes to play against Romania

26/05/2004: Roy Keane came through training with the Republic of Ireland squad today and is hopeful of playing in tomorrow night's friendly against Romania at Lansdowne Road.

The Manchester United captain was doubtful after injuring his knee and thigh during last weekend's FA Cup final win against Millwall. Republic manager Brian Kerr will monitor Keane's situation over the next 24 hours before making a decision tomorrow.

Speaking after today's training session in Malahide Keane remained upbeat about the prospect of making his long awaited international return.

"I hope to play tomorrow. If there's no further reaction to the injuries I'll be able to play," said Keane. "I'm very hungry to get back playing. I was disappointed to miss the last match."

Kerr was also optimistic of Keane playing in tomorrow night's friendly saying: "Roy [Keane] looked well and fit during training today."

Asked of his decision to come out of international retirement Keane said he believes it's the right time and the right thing to do.

"I think I've made the right decision. Things had to change," he said referring to poor practices within the FAI. "I was never looking for perfection, I was just looking for progress and John O'Shea had told me things were improving."

"I always enjoyed the matches but was frustrated with what was going on around. Some people didn't have the same targets as I had. It's always been an honour to play for Ireland and not a career move."

Kerr's other injury concerns include O'Shea, who according to the manager "didn't do too much in training today because of an ankle injury but should be okay".

And while Liam Miller is recovering from a groin strain Kerr confirmed he is a lot better today than he was yesterday.

tiktok
26/05/2004, 3:18 PM
Jesus lads, would someone hide the videos of the Swiss and Russian games...

Is it the one's played under McCarthy or Kerr you're talking about ;) :)

I hope he does play tomorrow if only so we can get his first game back over and done with.

NeilMcD
26/05/2004, 3:34 PM
yeah 4-2 away and 1-0 at home are terrible results.

tiktok
26/05/2004, 3:36 PM
1-0 at home.

as far as i can remember it was 1-2

NeilMcD
26/05/2004, 3:37 PM
yeah sorry for that, typing too quick for my own good.