PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports League Cup 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

legendz
15/12/2010, 9:09 PM
A few in here probably have gathered I have an affinity with the league cup. It stems from the Kerry League's great win in a shoot-out over Waterford United in Tralee in March 2008.

On the competition itself, does it have a future?

I've heard claims it's low down on the FAI priorities and a competition they might scrap. Should the scrap it, revamp it or leave it as it is?

The Lep
15/12/2010, 9:23 PM
They should change it so that only teams that are in the league plays for the league cup.

legendz
15/12/2010, 11:51 PM
They should change it so that only teams that are in the league plays for the league cup.
It was good for the Kerry League to be involved before the league became an open league. I think a move was made around '09 that it's for clubs anyways for starters. I'd agree now it should be for A Championship sides up.
My group idea in another thread seems a non-runner. This might be GAA mentality but I'll put this out there anyway. I think the early rounds should be played within the provinces. Leinster is big, more clubs, so it could be split in three: North Leinster, Dublin and South Leinster. Along with Munster, Connaught and Ulster, that'd be six regions in total.
Each region could provide one club, the winner of that region, for the last six. If the six regions were ranked 1 to 6 based on the average league position of all the clubs in those regions, the higher two regions winners could get a bye to the semi's while the other four have to go through the quarter-final stage.
And yes, I believe the final should be played in the Aviva!

Lim till i die
16/12/2010, 12:44 AM
Kill it with fire!!

About nine people came out to watch Monaghan widdle on our reserves earlier on in the year, clubs have enough to worry about without this nonsense. :ball:

Mr Maroon
16/12/2010, 2:10 AM
It should be scrapped.

Dodge
16/12/2010, 6:35 AM
Left as it is. Its a low priority but there's no harm in an extra cup game where kids can get a run out, Plus what will Derry do if its scrapped?

thischarmingman
16/12/2010, 8:28 AM
Left as it is. Its a low priority but there's no harm in an extra cup game where kids can get a run out, Plus what will Derry do if its scrapped?

I'd tend to agree (with the first part anyway, smart-ass); clubs might say they don't take it seriously but when you get to the semi of a cup competition it tends to focus the mind. And before that it's a chance to play some of the kids. That said, it really does exist in the shadow of the other two competitions. I'd be thrilled with scrapping the Setanta and making the LC competed for my clubs from both sides of the border but the logistics seem to have put that to bed.

legendz
16/12/2010, 8:51 AM
Isn't there a league Cup in the north as well. Why should one Associations LC take precedence over an other?
The four regional pools as they are are grand if people are ok with that. I would agree with The Lep though that it should be for League sides only. I didn't see why the Kerry League fielded a side this year when Tralee Dynamos are in the A Championship.
The six regional idea I was mooting would have some advantages in promotion of the games within the regions. I'd like to think a Munster League Cup final, battled for by the five league clubs, would have a decent profile. The idea is knock-out with in the regions before six are left for knock-out stage at a national level.
The six regions I'd like to see are:
Ulster:
Derry City
Monaghan United
Finn Harps
Fanad United? (If they do join the league)

North Leinster:
Dundalk
Drogheda United
Longford Town
Athlone Town

Dublin:
Shamrock Rovers
Bohemians
Sporting Fingal
St. Pat's Athletic
UCD
Shelbourne

South Leinster:
Bray Wanderers
Wexford Youths
FC Carlow
Tullamore Town

Munster:
Waterford United
Limerick FC
Cork City FORAS
Cobh Ramblers
Tralee Dynamos

Connaught:
Sligo Rovers
Galway United
Mervue United
Salthill Devon
Castlebar Celtic

pineapple stu
16/12/2010, 9:17 AM
Anyone seen Celtic Tiger lately?

Dodge
16/12/2010, 9:27 AM
The non league clubs competing in the league cup is a legacy of the old group stages part of the league cup. With 22 league clubs, it was easy to add 2 non league clubs and have 6 groups of 4 (similar to the World Cup at that time).

Rasputin
16/12/2010, 9:45 AM
Dublin:
Shamrock Rovers
Bohemians
Sporting Fingal
St. Pat's Athletic
UCD
Shelbourne

South Leinster:
Bray Wanderers
Wexford Youths
FC Carlow
Tullamore Town
Should Shams not be in the South Leinster Division??
Also this model was done before, I remember us in with Harps and Derry and then some random hick team from Donegal every year.
Absolutely zero interest here for it, cant speak for the other teams and can only imagine if we are stuck in with the might of Castlebar Celtic, Salthill Devon and Mervue United there will be even less interest.

legendz
16/12/2010, 10:40 AM
Anyone seen Celtic Tiger lately?

If it's a straight knock-out within the regions, it'd cut down on travel for the League Cup games.

Should Shams not be in the South Leinster Division??
Also this model was done before, I remember us in with Harps and Derry and then some random hick team from Donegal every year.
Absolutely zero interest here for it, cant speak for the other teams and can only imagine if we are stuck in with the might of Castlebar Celtic, Salthill Devon and Mervue United there will be even less interest.

If it's been tried before and it has not worked. That is fair enough. I can only speak from my own view point. I'd like to see Tralee in a Munster League Cup section. I would've thought the latter stages would be better with a spread of clubs from different regions. Shamrock Rovers are a Dublin team, that's why I'd include them in the Dublin League Cup section.
The clubs mentioned wouldn't be a big game for Sligo. If seedings were used from the league, no need for a draw. Drawing Sligo would be a big game for the three teams mentioned. Sligo and Galway, a most likely final for that section, would be a decent final. When it'd get to the national stage it's where Sligo would get the bigger games. Sometimes Sligo are the bigger draw for others, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Dodge
16/12/2010, 10:54 AM
It is always regionalised as far as the quarter finals anyway.

pineapple stu
16/12/2010, 10:57 AM
If it's a straight knock-out within the regions, it'd cut down on travel for the League Cup games.
I meant the poster Celtic Tiger, not the boom! :p

redobit
16/12/2010, 11:11 AM
Ah sure wrap it up, that way we can hold on to the trophy.

As has been said, no real interest in it until the semi final stage really. Shams fans saying that they didnt care about it when they got knocked out but yet the brought 400+ to the showgrounds for it on a Tuesday evening.

legendz
16/12/2010, 11:15 AM
It is always regionalised as far as the quarter finals anyway.

That's a fair point. It must be a GAA minded view I have on this. I think the regionalised rounds will work better within the provinces.

1st time post
16/12/2010, 12:03 PM
Ah sure wrap it up, that way we can hold on to the trophy.

As has been said, no real interest in it until the semi final stage really. Shams fans saying that they didnt care about it when they got knocked out but yet the brought 400+ to the showgrounds for it on a Tuesday evening.

ssssshhhhhhhh it was only 100 and there was only 322 at the game!!!

MMVIII
16/12/2010, 12:31 PM
I enjoyed winning it.

Legendz, half of your ideas are a load of sh**e that will never happen. No offence or anything but it gets a bit boring when you come on here and all you see is you and your master plans to reform the league.

legendz
16/12/2010, 12:36 PM
Ah well, sure everyone's entitled to an opinion and to air their views. Hard to comment on yours. Have you been on the forum before?

dahamsta
16/12/2010, 3:06 PM
Lads, keep the personal stuff to yourselves, or better yet use the Ignore Lis (http://foot.ie/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_troublesome_us ers)t. I'll leave ye off since it's xmas, but I won't the next time.

Back on topic please.

Boots9
18/12/2010, 5:37 PM
Shams fans saying that they didnt care about it when they got knocked out but yet the brought 400+ to the showgrounds for it on a Tuesday evening.

Whats your point so? A few shams fans you know say they dont care about the league cup. Obviously the majority of rovers fans do care about the league cup if 400+ travelled up for it on a Tuesday night.

I do care about it myself and don't wanna see it ended. It's a good chance to play a team from Division 1 that you wouldnt usually get to play. Although that doesn't happen to often with the early stage being regionalised and a good chance the Division 1 teams get knocked out then

legendz
19/12/2010, 12:17 PM
Well said. It's a cup there to be won and a great chance for the likes of Tralee and Division One clubs to get a big game.

PartySaint
19/12/2010, 8:17 PM
Whats your point so? A few shams fans you know say they dont care about the league cup. Obviously the majority of rovers fans do care about the league cup if 400+ travelled up for it on a Tuesday night.

I do care about it myself and don't wanna see it ended. It's a good chance to play a team from Division 1 that you wouldnt usually get to play. Although that doesn't happen to often with the early stage being regionalised and a good chance the Division 1 teams get knocked out then

Since when is 400 a majority of 4000 (their average attendance)???

Boots9
19/12/2010, 9:58 PM
Since when is 400 a majority of 4000 (their average attendance)???

Obviously I meant in comparison to the numbers that would travell up for a league match.

redobit
19/12/2010, 10:35 PM
My point was a general one Boots, just used Shams as a example i suppose. What I mean is when youre in the latter stages of the competition fans are up for and when youre out fans will say sure its only the league cup.

legendz
19/12/2010, 11:10 PM
It's a good point. In the latter stages of a competition fans are up for it and if knocked out, it is only the league cup comment that comes out.
It's kind of where I was coming with this regional idea and regional finals, creating more of an interest in the earlier rounds. I know yet another format thrown out there never likely to happen and all that, but there is some merits for it.

legendz
06/03/2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101577:ea-sports-cup-2011-&catid=22:ea-sports-cup&Itemid=52

POOL 1 - First Round Draw
Cobh Ramblers v Wexford Youths
Kerry League v Limerick
Tralee Dynamos v Waterford United
Bye: Cork City

POOL 2 - Preliminary Round Draw
Salthill Devon v Fanad United
POOL 2 - First Round Draw
Galway United v Cockhill Celtic
Mervue United v Finn Harps
Salthill Devon/Fanad United v Derry City
Bye: Sligo Rovers

POOL 3 - Preliminary Round Draw
Longford Town v Athlone Town
POOL 3 - First Round Draw
Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United
Longford Town/Athlone Town v U.C.D.
Byes: St. Patrick's Athletic and Shamrock Rovers

POOL 4 - First Round Draw
FC Carlow v Shelbourne
Byes: Bohemians, Dundalk and Monaghan United.

Preliminary Round matches: Monday, March 14th
First Round matches: Monday, March 28th

It's good to see the Kerry League still involved but with the league open through the A Championship, it should revert to being clubs only.

EAFC_rdfl
14/03/2011, 11:25 AM
I take it the prelim games are going ahead tonight? Planning to head into salthill v fanad

marinobohs
14/03/2011, 11:49 AM
My point was a general one Boots, just used Shams as a example i suppose. What I mean is when youre in the latter stages of the competition fans are up for and when youre out fans will say sure its only the league cup.

Good point, it is amazing how many fans 'realise' they are better off out of a competition - directly after they are knocked out ! Any cup final is a good day out for fans so would take most ' we are better off out' statements with a dollop of salt. Except, of course, the SETANTA Cup where Bohs cunningly decided............:rolleyes:

Ezeikial
17/03/2011, 6:05 PM
Good point, it is amazing how many fans 'realise' they are better off out of a competition - directly after they are knocked out ! Any cup final is a good day out for fans so would take most ' we are better off out' statements with a dollop of salt. Except, of course, the SETANTA Cup where Bohs cunningly decided............:rolleyes:

To be fair many fans realise from the off that competing in up to 5/6 competitions just dosesn't work for them with reduced squad sizes - Europe and Setanta for some, along with the League, FAI Cup, League Cup and the useless Leinster Cup/Munster Cup. Its inevitable that many managers will regard the Leinster Cup / Munster Cup as a complete nuisence and the League Cup not far off that. Of course if you make the semis or final itself then its all bets on again. It's just difficult to wish for anything other then a win in any competitive match your club is involved in.

Dodge
17/03/2011, 7:20 PM
I think you can add the Setanta Cup in with the League Cup and LSC at this stage Ezekial. Maybe not at Dundalk or ROvers but for everyone else that s been in it, its appeal has worn out

I should say that love being in all competitions and I want to win them all. I'm always sick when we lose, even if its clear not everyone else is

Ezeikial
17/03/2011, 7:45 PM
I think you can add the Setanta Cup in with the League Cup and LSC at this stage Ezekial. Maybe not at Dundalk or ROvers but for everyone else that s been in it, its appeal has worn out

Setanta certainly has loads of appeal for Dundalk. If we get though to the semis on Monday night I'd say that there will be at least €80k in revenue for the Lilywhites. It's as good as a round in Europe already. Maybe other clubs are so flush that this is a triffling amount?

Obviously the novelty aspect and our geographical location, not to mention some decent results so far have all helped in its appeal to supporters in Dundalk

Nesta99
18/03/2011, 9:15 AM

Ouch! That hurt..

Nesta99
18/03/2011, 9:19 AM
should add that I am now a Cliftonville fan!!!

Dodge
18/03/2011, 10:04 AM
Obviously the novelty aspect and our geographical location, not to mention some decent results so far have all helped in its appeal to supporters in Dundalk

Most Pats fans couldn't wait to enter it but trips to Portadown, Dungannon and Cliftonville in front of crowds of 500 or so grate after a while.

Like I said, I personally still like the competition and would love to win it. I also like visiting new grounds (we've played 5 Northern teams so far) but the crowds don't reflect my thinking

Do you really think you'll earn €80k for getting to the semi?

Mr A
18/03/2011, 10:18 AM
I think that he probably means total revenue including gates etc. But then if you face Linfield and Glentoran in the same campaign you're always likely to do well out of it.

Dodge
18/03/2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah, even with that gates from the semis I'd be astounded if it was that high.

Ezeikial
18/03/2011, 11:58 AM
Do you really think you'll earn €80k for getting to the semi?

Yeah, even with that gates from the semis I'd be astounded if it was that high.

€80k is conservative

€15k Semi-finals prizemoney
€ 6k performance bonuses
€ 2k TV money
€60k Gate Receipts (conservative est @ average of €20k per game)

Dodge
18/03/2011, 12:54 PM
Performance bonus from Sponsors? Interesting

I, however, thought you had meant that qualifying for the semi would gain you 80k extra. Apologies for misunderstanding you

El-Pietro
21/03/2011, 8:50 AM
Munster Senior Cup is worth €10k to the winners.

well worth competing in for us!

We generally use the games before the season starts as warm up games, and then send out fringe teams for the remainder.

i enjoy the games to be honest

WoodquayBoy
23/03/2011, 3:16 PM
Anyone any idea what the next round of games is? Looking for it on the FAI LOI site, the only fixture list I could find was for 2009.

Mr A
23/03/2011, 3:18 PM
Anyone any idea what the next round of games is? Looking for it on the FAI LOI site, the only fixture list I could find was for 2009.

This is as good as we have:

POOL 1 – First Round Draw
Cobh Ramblers v Wexford Youths
Kerry League v Limerick
Tralee Dynamos v Waterford United

POOL 2 – Preliminary Round Draw
Salthill Devon v Fanad United
POOL 2 – First Round Draw
Salthill Devon/Fanad United v Derry City

POOL 3 – Preliminary Round Draw
Longford Town v Athlone Town
POOL 3 – First Round Draw
Longford Town/Athlone Town v U.C.D.

Byes: St. Patrick’s Athletic and Shamrock Rovers

POOL 4 – First Round Draw
FC Carlow v Shelbourne

Byes: Bohemians, Dundalk and Monaghan United.

Preliminary Round matches: Monday, 14th March
First Round matches: Monday, 28th March

pineapple stu
23/03/2011, 3:34 PM
Longford Town/Athlone Town v UCD
Longford beat Athlone and play us on Monday.

stann
23/03/2011, 6:24 PM
Munster Senior Cup is worth €10k to the winners.
well worth competing in for us!
We generally use the games before the season starts as warm up games, and then send out fringe teams for the remainder.
i enjoy the games to be honest
Me too, MSC is a great competition!
First game is usually right in the middle of pre-season as you say, and then you've only two more max, and the final might fall in the mid-season break as it did for us last year. You get to play teams you rarely, if ever, would, and it's nice to have a competition that not everyone else is in. Would love to see the CSC start up as was mentioned elsewhere.

This is as good as we have:
POOL 1; First Round Draw
Cobh Ramblers v Wexford Youths Fri 25th
Kerry League v Limerick Mon 28th{/b]
Tralee Dynamos v Waterford United [b]Wed 30th
That's our pool's dates. Think I have the other ones at home too, will check in a bit.

cornflakes
23/03/2011, 6:53 PM
Cobh Ramblers vs Wexford Youths
This friday, 7:45pm

stann
24/03/2011, 3:13 AM
OK, bit more than a bit but what harm....

POOL 1 - First Round
Cobh Ramblers v Wexford Youths Fri 25th 7.45
Kerry League v Limerick Mon 28th 7.45
Tralee Dynamos v Waterford United Wed 30th 7.45

POOL 2 - First Round
Galway United v Cockhill Celtic Mon 28th 7.45
Mervue United v Finn Harps Mon 28th 7.45
Salthill Devon v Derry City Mon 28th 7.45

POOL 3 - First Round
Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United Mon 28th 7.45
Longford Town v U.C.D. Mon 28th 7.45
Byes: St. Patrick's Athletic and Shamrock Rovers

POOL 4 - First Round
FC Carlow v Shelbourne Mon 28th 8.00
Byes: Bohemians, Dundalk and Monaghan United

Summat like that.

eL Bettor
28/03/2011, 10:24 AM
Tonight's odds: (Home - Draw - Away)
4/6 12/5 7/2

1/4 4/1 8/1

Kerry League v Limerick
11/2 3/1 2/5

Longford Town v UCD
13/8 11/5 11/8

6/4 11/5 6/4

Salthill Devon v Derry City
13/2 4/1 2/7

Sligo Rovers v Portadown
1/2 5/2 11/2

Shelbourne v FC Carlow
1/6 5/1 11/1

Ezeikial
28/03/2011, 11:09 AM
The Draw for the 2nd round is due to take place on Wednesday and fixtures down for Monday 25 April

Dodge
28/03/2011, 11:39 AM
Dates I have for the rest of the tournament are;
25th April- 2nd rd
27th June - QF
8th August - SF
24th September - Final

Sam_Heggy
28/03/2011, 8:17 PM
Some big shocks on the cards with Salthill leading Derry 2-1 and Cockhill beating Galway 3-1. UCD reserves beating Longford 2-0