PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports League Cup 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

DaveyPats
06/06/2011, 6:17 PM
Pats beaten by cork earlier 2-1 in cork.

poster
06/06/2011, 7:09 PM
Did Vinny Escude play today? How has he been doing with Cork?

sullanefc
06/06/2011, 7:17 PM
Did Vinny Escude play today? How has he been doing with Cork?

MOTM today. First time seeing him properly, as he hasn't been getting too many starts. Started today as O'Sullivan was out. Put in a good performance too obviously.

El-Pietro
06/06/2011, 7:44 PM
Vincent Escude Candau was by far the motm today in his preferred role. It seems that when we play 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 with him in the hole as we did in pre season against Sligo and Bohs and for brief periods against Shels and others he is brilliant.

However hes lost in a 4-4-2.

City were the better team today and deserved to win, however not by a large margin. We competed well with Pats and ccreated the better chances. They had large spells of possesion but didn't create a whole lot although Mark McNulty made one very good save in the first half and a match winning double save at the death.

Dunny
27/06/2011, 7:51 PM
Shels 1-0 Sligo HT
Ucd 0-0 Derry - second half just started

Jeff Kenna looks the worse for ware....

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF730/530462.jpg

Dodge
27/06/2011, 8:10 PM
He's doing his im,pression of Ray Liotta from the last 20 minutes of goodfellas

Jofspring
27/06/2011, 8:58 PM
Shels 1-2 Sligo.

94th minute goal for Sligo and two sent off for Shels.

Flexy
27/06/2011, 9:09 PM
3-0 Derry at the Bowl

Nah Nah Nah Nah
27/06/2011, 9:43 PM
We were very, very lucky tonight. Poor first half. Shels scored with their first shot and we probably had had only one shot ourselves before that. Shels should have scored a second before we as they were catching us on the break a lot on the second half. I think Shels probably just got tired towards the end as once we scored we were pretty much all over them. Thought the ref was going to blow full time when Foran was making his run before he was fouled for the winner. Great free kick by Richie Ryan. Didn't think the straight red was justified. Rough tackle but thought a yellow would have been a right decision and just blow full time.

sullanefc
27/06/2011, 9:55 PM
He's doing his im,pression of Ray Liotta from the last 20 minutes of goodfellas

Thought it was Garry Glitter myself.

MagicMon
27/06/2011, 9:58 PM
Shels 1-2 Sligo.

94th minute goal for Sligo and two sent off for Shels.

Do suspensions in the League Cup carry over into the league?

Mr A
27/06/2011, 9:59 PM
Yes, because they have been eliminated the suspensions will now transfer to the league.

GalwayRed
27/06/2011, 10:01 PM
Feel a bit robbed tonight. We were at the very least deserving of extra time with that performance and to lose it at the end like that is sickening. For Dawsons red I thought the first yellow was a joke of a decision. Having said that once he was on the yellow and he made the second challenge the ref didn't have much choice but to send him off. The red for Mulhall was just the ref overreacting. A yellow would have done.
But we have some positives to take from this. We were more than a match for a strong Sligo lineup and at the same time we were able to rest a good few first team regulars and give a few fringe players a run out. At times we played some great football and looked a real threat. Bermo had one of his best games for Shels and his work rate was excellent. Mulhall came on and made life difficult for two excellent centre halves. At the end of the day the league cup isn't our main priority but it was disappointing how we dropped off when Sligo equalised. Good performance overall though.

GalwayRed
27/06/2011, 10:02 PM
Yes, because they have been eliminated the suspensions will now transfer to the league.

Dawson and Mulhall will both be big losses for the Mons game :(

BonnieShels
27/06/2011, 10:07 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr

born2bwild
27/06/2011, 10:25 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr

I know exactly how you feel.

PartySaint
27/06/2011, 11:44 PM
Lots of LOI and ex LOI faces in the UCD bowl tonight, From the ones I saw (who seemed to be doing their coaching badges) there was
Jeff Kenna
Gary Dempsey
Ger O'Brien
Gary Rogers
Bobby Ryan
Dessie Byrne
Colin Hawkins
and Johnny Mac (who came from doing MNS)

pineapple stu
28/06/2011, 4:04 PM
Strange game last night. Didn't think we were at all 3-0 worse after an hour - Derry simply took their three chances (the second was a superb goal which would have been way better had the first effort gone in), and we missed two great ones of our own. Then we had Seánie sent off, and they were clearly worth the 3-0 win after that, but didn't add any more goals. Still, only real negative from the game is that we're missing one of our better players for a big game on Friday (in Galway). Not too worried about our first team losing to Derry's reserves.

MagicMon
28/06/2011, 6:31 PM
The Rodster is playing is son (Roddy Jr.), his nephew and his son-in-law tonight. Wonder if Steve Collins is there too?

Magicme
28/06/2011, 6:44 PM
And dont forget that his son-in-law's cousin is also on the bench....Rocco Reilly, we take Family club to a whole new level tonight with the Brennan brothers sitting it out!

Mons Team: Rossiter, Fallon, R Collins, P Byrne, A Byrne, Tierney, Marks, Foley, Fitzgerald, Isichei, Haran. Subs: Reilly, McKenna, Loughran, Alan Collins,

Magicme
28/06/2011, 6:54 PM
6 mins: Limerick 1-0 Monaghan United Judge

Magicme
28/06/2011, 7:22 PM
Limerick 2-0 Monaghan United Lyons Penalty

poster
28/06/2011, 7:36 PM
Any Shels fans know when the LC highlights will go up?

SkStu
28/06/2011, 7:39 PM
despite clicking on this thread with every update i have to say i have absolutely no idea what is going on in this tournament, who is left etc. I mean i read it but it obviously just doesnt sink in.

passerrby
28/06/2011, 7:40 PM
6 mins: Limerick 1-0 Monaghan United Judge

Only three of our first team players so Roddy looking at Fridays game, did not expect Limerick to be all out for the ea crap cup have they given up the hope of going up

razor
28/06/2011, 7:43 PM
i have absolutely no idea what is going on in this tournament, who is left etc.Cork City, Sligo,Derry and looking like Limerick in the semis

Magicme
28/06/2011, 7:56 PM
Limerick 3-0 Monaghan United Judge 55 min

Magicme
28/06/2011, 8:07 PM
Limerick 4-0 Monaghan United Judge gets a hattrick.

Magicme
28/06/2011, 8:18 PM
Sorry forgot to update the last goal: Limerick 5-0 Monaghan United Coughlan

GlasnevinRed
28/06/2011, 8:29 PM
Any Shels fans know when the LC highlights will go up?
Short highlights. He may do an extended version with interviews included in time.
http://vimeo.com/25732534

SkStu
28/06/2011, 8:41 PM
well deleted post by the way, Sligoman... ;)

Magicme
28/06/2011, 8:44 PM
So Mons bow out to Limerick.

sligoman
28/06/2011, 8:55 PM
Short highlights. He may do an extended version with interviews included in time.
http://vimeo.com/25732534Yer man in the background at 2.13 is class.

Dunny
28/06/2011, 9:00 PM
so mons bent over to limerick.

fyp :)

thomas72
28/06/2011, 9:55 PM
Only three of our first team players so Roddy looking at Fridays game, did not expect Limerick to be all out for the ea crap cup have they given up the hope of going up

what are you about givin up on going up. just to let you know tonight or midfield four and two strikers average age 17-18.
shane tracey, dave o leary, john frost, dave ryan, steven o flynn, joe gamble, denis behan, gary sheenhan, did not play tonight 8 players

just we have very talented young lads comign through.

nigel-harps1954
29/06/2011, 12:14 AM
what are you about givin up on going up. just to let you know tonight or midfield four and two strikers average age 17-18.
shane tracey, dave o leary, john frost, dave ryan, steven o flynn, joe gamble, denis behan, gary sheenhan, did not play tonight 8 players

just we have very talented young lads comign through.

Really your post doesn't hold any water with the examples given. Is Sheehan long back from injury or has he played much at all? And Joe Gamble and Denis Behan couldn't play anyway and haven't done all season. So really it's 5 players you're talking about.

LFC-Zulu
29/06/2011, 12:29 AM
Barry Ryan was rested. The back four was full strength except for Frost who was suspended anyway. The midfield was without O'Leary (who picked up a knock against Wexford) and Tracy (who is injured). Up front, he favoured Brosnan to Hynes as I presume he wanted to use Hynes for Friday. Brosnan only came on to accommodate for the loss of Breen; people need to realise that, and he came off again after an hour, which shows that he clearly is being used for Friday too.

Ryan
Treacy
Purcell
McCarthy
Bhandarkar
Judge
Quinn
McGann
Lyons
Sheedy
Breen

The players in bold are first choices given the circumstances we found ourselves in with injuries and with suspensions (Frost). So we didn't play a weakened side? Why is that a bad thing? The club is showing ambition.

Lim till i die
29/06/2011, 12:34 AM
Really your post doesn't hold any water with the examples given. Is Sheehan long back from injury or has he played much at all? And Joe Gamble and Denis Behan couldn't play anyway and haven't done all season. So really it's 5 players you're talking about.

Gary Sheehan aside it holds water with regards to our probable starting eleven for the rest of the season.

FWIW, of tonights team the lads in bold here wouldn't have been first team regulars all along:

D. Ryan
C. Tracy
Purcell
McCarthy
Bhandakar
McGann
Quinn
Lyons
Judge
Breen
Sheedy

SUBS:
Coughlan
Broughall
Brosnan

In fairness there's no reason why a club with our vast, vast, VAST, resources can't compete on two or three fronts. :ball:

sadloserkid
29/06/2011, 12:38 AM

It's still nonsense to suggest that we've given up on promotion because we only rested half our team for this game (and I know it wasn't you who suggested that we had). Dave Ryan (it was brother Barry who was rested in goal), Andrew Bhandarker, Thomas Lyons, Stephen McGann and a young guy called Sheedy who is so new and raw that I'm not even sure what his first name is (possibly another Barry) all started today and have been nowhere near starting for us all season. There's no way that they have six starts between them in league games all year. All three subs (Garbhan Coughlan, Sean Brosnan and Garbhan Broughall) have been bit players so far this year too.

Just because Scully didn't use the game to hawk about his mediocre son is hardly evidence of an abandonment of any promotion hopes we may have. :)

sadloserkid
29/06/2011, 12:41 AM
Barry Ryan was rested. The back four was full strength except for Frost who was suspended anyway. The midfield was without O'Leary (who picked up a knock against Wexford) and Tracy (who is injured). Up front, he favoured Brosnan to Hynes as I presume he wanted to use Hynes for Friday. Brosnan only came on to accommodate for the loss of Breen; people need to realise that, and he came off again after an hour, which shows that he clearly is being used for Friday too.

Ryan
Treacy
Purcell
McCarthy
Bhandarkar
Judge
Quinn
McGann
Lyons
Sheedy
Breen

The players in bold are first choices given the circumstances we found ourselves in with injuries and with suspensions (Frost). So we didn't play a weakened side? Why is that a bad thing? The club is showing ambition.

Gary Sheehan aside it holds water with regards to our probable starting eleven for the rest of the season.

FWIW, of tonights team the lads in bold here wouldn't have been first team regulars all along:

D. Ryan
C. Tracy
Purcell
McCarthy
Bhandakar
McGann
Quinn
Lyons
Judge
Breen
Sheedy

SUBS:
Coughlan
Broughall
Brosnan

In fairness there's no reason why a club with our vast, vast, VAST, resources can't compete on two or three fronts. :ball:

It's still nonsense to suggest that we've given up on promotion because we only rested half our team for this game (and I know it wasn't you who suggested that we had). Dave Ryan (it was brother Barry who was rested in goal), Andrew Bhandarker, Thomas Lyons, Stephen McGann and a young guy called Sheedy who is so new and raw that I'm not even sure what his first name is (possibly another Barry) all started today and have been nowhere near starting for us all season. There's no way that they have six starts between them in league games all year. All three subs (Garbhan Coughlan, Sean Brosnan and Garbhan Broughall) have been bit players so far this year too.

Just because Scully didn't use the game to hawk about his mediocre son is hardly evidence of an abandonment of any promotion hopes we may have. :)

Defensive aren't we? A classic example of a team's fans starting to adopt the traits of their manager. :D

nigel-harps1954
29/06/2011, 12:45 AM
I wasn't for a second suggesting you are giving up on promotion, just saying that naming 3 players that aren't even playing anyway as 'not in the side tonight' doesn't hold any water.
For the record I expect you to be pushing promotion the whole way this season.

Lim till i die
29/06/2011, 12:49 AM
Defensive aren't we? A classic example of a team's fans starting to adopt the traits of their manager. :D

Did I mention our VAST resources??

micls
29/06/2011, 4:19 AM
Limerick at home for the semi please!

gael353
29/06/2011, 7:05 AM
And in the star newpaper today, "Roddy collins fielded only two of the side hat won last weekend while pat scullys limerick team was close to full strength":rolleyes:

Only Paddy P was over 23, seven of the team were playing under 20s last year and two of them will play under 19s this year. Must have a fantastic youth set up :D

Jofspring
29/06/2011, 8:37 AM
We gave a few lads that haven't been getting games a run and also a few of the younger lads which was great to see.

Presume we will have to wait till Monday for draw. Only 4 teams left so they may as well get it over with as soon as possible. Wouldn't mind anyone at home.

Dodge
29/06/2011, 9:14 AM
jaysus lads, who gives a ****? 2 yound sides played, and one hammered the other. Does it matter who took it more seriously? The only thing that matters is who won

WoodquayBoy
29/06/2011, 10:49 AM
My sentiments exactly Dodge. Two teams played a match, one hammered the other and are through to the semi-finals of a naitonal competition. Congrats to Limerick

MagicMon
29/06/2011, 11:08 AM

Got some great bites there with that one. Good luck to Limerick for the rest of the league cup but after last season I'd definitely take promotion over a cup run. I suppose the Limerick result can only be judged when we see what happens v Shels on Friday.

Monkfish
29/06/2011, 11:40 AM
but after last season I'd definitely take promotion over a cup run.

We'll take both please, we've got tons of cash didnt ya know?

monsexile
29/06/2011, 11:53 AM
Well done Limerick on the win. Obviously, the 5-0 scoreline shows that they had a better side out than us and there is no doubt most clubs have a lot more player depth than United. Hard to blame Roddy at playing our reserves. Got to remember that we have a small squad and effectively no real reserve or Under-20 side to pick from. Obviously, the decision will only be vindicated by promotion but there is no doubt that our cup runs caught up with the team at the end of last season. Whether, as a fan, who trade a chance for promotion or a chance for another big day like in Sligo last year is up to you. Monaghan also have quite a few genuine injury worries so it wasn't a complete resting exercise. Good luck to Lims in the semi-finals.