View Full Version : The La Liga Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

el_nino84
03/11/2010, 12:46 PM
Open to all things La Liga.

el_nino84
03/11/2010, 12:48 PM
So how many of you follow La Liga??

I try to keep as up to date as possible with La Liga, through live matches on Sky Sports and also the odd game online too. With a massive number of the Ballon D'or nominees it shows how high the standard is in this league.

Stevo Da Gull
04/11/2010, 1:20 AM
I used to watch La Liga regularly when I had sky, now I try to keep in touch. Went to an Atletico Madrid match last season so would probably look out for them as much as anyone, though I also find Rayo to have an appeal. I remember that Sevilla were great to watch back when I had sky, and I have rooted for Valencia before. When it comes to the big two, I prefer to see Barca win the title than Real though it would be nice if neither of them won it!

Can't see anyone else challenging them this season though if I'm being honest.

Closed Account 2
17/11/2010, 2:37 PM
Looks like Barca v Real Madrid will be on a Monday night now:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/sid_lowe/11/15/clasico.monday/index.html

DeLorean
17/11/2010, 2:52 PM
Looks like Barca v Real Madrid will be on a Monday night now

I noticed that on the BBC fixtures alright. I would have preferred if it was on at the weekend. Thought Real were very unlucky in the corresponding fixture last season, Barca had most of the ball, but Real created the best chances. Touch of class about Zlatan's goal though. The Mourinho factor will make the fixtures all the more intriguing this season, especially if Real are still unbeaten at the Bernabéu by the time the reverse fixture comes around. Mourinho's home league run must be the most impressive record in football.

Closed Account 2
17/11/2010, 3:57 PM
I would say if anyone has any interest in going to one of these games Monday might be you best chance of doing it reasonably cheaply. There are reports that a lot of fans have got tickets (living all over Spain) and are now struggling to get the time off work, flights / trains etc, so if you are in the city I would think there is a fair chance of some tickets going at or near face value.

Closed Account 2
22/11/2010, 2:32 PM
Looks like Afellay's been getting lesons for his Barca move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PDZc4CJ1Cg

Must have learnt that one off Sergio Buskets

Roadend
30/11/2010, 9:50 AM
What a display from Barca last night, Thoroughly outplayed Real in every department. When was the last time they were on the end of a humiliating defeat like that. Iniesta and Xavi were absolutely amazing.

gaiscíoch
30/11/2010, 10:13 AM
What a display from Barca last night, Thoroughly outplayed Real in every department. When was the last time they were on the end of a humiliating defeat like that. Iniesta and Xavi were absolutely amazing.

The last time they were humiliated like that was maybe May 2009 wasn't it 6-2 to Barca?

Barcelona were excellent last night but they are also the biggest bunch of W*****S to ever take to a pitch.
Some of the carry on of them the diving and ****ing and moaning at the ref running 60yards to get involved in something that had nothing to do with them.

Valdes, Puyol, Busquets Messi the lot of them horrible arrogant W*****S.

Valdes would have done well to remember that it was him last year who found great joy in pushing Mourinho who had not really done anything wrong apart from beating them....

Dodge
30/11/2010, 10:50 AM
and you call them whiney?

They all know the game. Both sides do everything to wind the opposition up in these games.

its not arrogance when you can back it up.

Closed Account 2
30/11/2010, 11:22 AM
The last time they were humiliated like that was maybe May 2009 wasn't it 6-2 to Barca?

Barcelona were excellent last night but they are also the biggest bunch of W*****S to ever take to a pitch.
Some of the carry on of them the diving and ****ing and moaning at the ref running 60yards to get involved in something that had nothing to do with them.

Valdes, Puyol, Busquets Messi the lot of them horrible arrogant W*****S.

Valdes would have done well to remember that it was him last year who found great joy in pushing Mourinho who had not really done anything wrong apart from beating them....

Agree, they might be classy at passing the ball but would it kill them to learn some manners ? You can win matches without behaving like *******s... La Masia must do special courses in how to wave imaginary yellow cards. Maybe hold of such pontification until they've won more than the two Champions Leagues in the past decade.

You're right about Valdez, overly agressive in the Ronaldo - Guaridola incident, and he kept running to the center circle to try and get players booked - perhaps there is a deep-rooted inferiority complex at being the weak link in the side and not really a top Spanish keeper (compared to say Casillas, Reina, De Gea and Diego Lopez). Busquets is the worst player I've ever seen in terms of histrionics.

Obviously Real Madrid's players were pretty poorly behaved too, but was there any need for Barca to still try and get Madrid players sent off at 4,5 goals up?

I find the whole holier-than-thou attitude of Cruyff, Barca and their lapdogs in the press a bit nauseating at times. They are a good side, who play nice football at times, but this guff about being the best side in the history of the game - only if "the game" was invented in the last decade.

Dodge
30/11/2010, 11:42 AM
The current game is only about 10 years old. Absolutely no point in comparing teams from earlier decades as the game was completely different. Same with players

I tihk its a bloke thing in fairness. Constantly needing to compile lists of top ten teams/players etc.

gaiscíoch
30/11/2010, 12:06 PM
and you call them whiney?

Yes IMO they are it's very hard to believe the media turn a blind eye to the behavior of some of their players. Running the length of the field to put a imaginary card in the refs face is "whiney"

They all know the game. Both sides do everything to wind the opposition up in these games.

That auld chestnut.... They are so good they do not need to get involved in that stuff. You can hate the opposition but you can also respect them.
The ref was excellent last night deserves full credit

its not arrogance when you can back it up.
They certainly can but still doesn't mean I have to like it?

shakermaker1982
30/11/2010, 12:29 PM
I'm very surprised Mourinho allowed/opted to have his back 4 playing so high up the pitch. Why would you give a team like Barca so much space in behind you?

To be fair to Mourinho he did put out an attacking line up and it made the game more entertaining (though a tad bit one sided) but I thought he'd have tried to frustrate Barca for first 45.

Barca are a great team and this current mob are best team I've ever seen in the flesh (Trap's Ireland come close....).

The rolling around disgusts me but what can we do? Football is now a game where we see players wearing scarves/snoods and gloves when it's cold. Somebody pushes you in the chest? Roll over and pretend your shot. It drives me crazy. If you pull a stunt like that on a Sunday round here in the pub leagues you'd start a riot and rightly so. Start banning players for OTT rolls and falls and it will soon stop.

Dodge
30/11/2010, 12:37 PM
That auld chestnut.... They are so good they do not need to get involved in that stuff. You can hate the opposition but you can also respect them.

I said "they all know the game" meaning players from both sides. Every Spanish club does it, and has done for years. Madrid would've done the same if in that position.

I just don't get worked up by it

gaiscíoch
30/11/2010, 12:54 PM
I said "they all know the game" meaning players from both sides. Every Spanish club does it, and has done for years. Madrid would've done the same if in that position.

I just don't get worked up by it

Still doesn't mean we should except it as part of the game.
It is not part of the game never has been never should be.
All the uproar last week over Mourinho telling his players to get sent off so they don't carry cards in the knock-out stages (showing just how flawed the disciplinary system is in European Competition is) got worldwide coverage yet the carry on of the Barcelona players is once again brushed under the carpet?

I just think Barcelona are classless. Turning on the sprinklers last year v Inter was a disgrace.

Wind back the clock to 2000/2001 and they were allot more humble.........

Dodge
30/11/2010, 1:02 PM
Still doesn't mean we should except it as part of the game.
It is not part of the game never has been never should be.
Clearly is part of the game.

All the uproar last week over Mourinho telling his players to get sent off so they don't carry cards in the knock-out stages (showing just how flawed the disciplinary system is in European Competition is) got worldwide coverage yet the carry on of the Barcelona players is once again brushed under the carpet?
Thats because it was on a European stage. Remember the outcry over Busquet's acting last year? Wasn't brushed under the carpet at all

And for the record any Spanish commentators I read after the Mourinho incident said its a common thing in Spain, and all clubs do it. I'd no problem with it either

Turning on the sprinklers last year v Inter was a disgrace.
Agreed, 100%. It was a groundman's decision though

Wind back the clock to 2000/2001 and they were allot more humble.........
No, they just weren't shown on TV all the time

dfx-
30/11/2010, 1:03 PM
Tough...every single year Real come to rough up Barcelona and they did it last night, I have no sympathy for them - they didn't pick up enough yellow cards. How Carvalho stayed on the pitch is a mystery. Referees like that will cost the game Messi soon enough.

Great to see Mourinho not get away with it like he did in injury time with Inter. Ever since the popular idea is to get amongst Barcelona and disrupt them, then tough **** if you get booked...

Didn't work well last night.

hoops1
30/11/2010, 1:12 PM
Purists 5 Anti Football 0
What is there to be unhappy about.

Closed Account 2
30/11/2010, 1:57 PM
You'd get good odds on Real to win the league now, worth a punt I think - all things being equal against the other 18 all they would need is a win in April to pop back above Barca.

Dodge
30/11/2010, 2:34 PM
You'd get good odds on Real to win the league now, worth a punt I think - all things being equal against the other 18 all they would need is a win in April to pop back above Barca.

Yep. Madrid the value bet this morning. I'd be happy enough to put last night as a freak occurence.

geysir
01/12/2010, 11:13 AM
Real Madrid have a chance but I wouldn't regard their odds of 6/5 as being a value bet.
Odds of 6/5 is a high risk gamble against Barca winning the title.

DeLorean
01/12/2010, 3:41 PM
Maybe hold of such pontification until they've won more than the two Champions Leagues in the past decade

Well they've one two in the past half decade to be fair, which is pretty good!

Closed Account 2
01/12/2010, 4:59 PM
Well UEFA have their own sort-of benchmark - winning either three in a row, or five overall. If a club does this they get to wear the sleeve badge thinggy that Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern, Milan and Liverpool have.

Two in a decade is admirable, but Forest, Benfica and Inter have won it twice in a row.

DeLorean
02/12/2010, 8:20 AM
I was only saying that they've won 2 of the last 5, as opposed to 2 of the last 10, which is also true of course but a bit misleading about this particular side.

I would also argue that the competition itself is far harder to win now, even though it's easier to qualify obviously.

Poor Student
12/12/2010, 9:21 PM
The race for the Pichichi trophy is as tight for the race for the title this year. Ronaldo and Messi have got a goal ratio above one goal per game. Messi has scored 17 in 13 games and Ronaldo 17 in 15. Messi's record this season is 27 goals in 22 games in all competitions. Messi would probably have even more goals had he not gotten injured against Atletico. He is well on his way to becoming one of the great goalscorers of the game if he can stay injury free and that's just the half of his game.

Closed Account 2
13/12/2010, 4:01 PM
May as well post this here, I think the bidding war between Real and Barca for his services will begin now:

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~2243513,00.html

Red4Eva
18/12/2010, 7:34 PM
Espanyol fans chanting "Hoops, Hoops, Hoops" at Dani Alves

Closed Account 2
31/01/2011, 10:35 AM
Well that's La Liga over now, not even into Feb. Ok so there are some minor issues like Champions League places although its probably nailed on as Madrid (2), Villareal (3) maybe Valenica or Espanyol will go for (4) - not that it really matters since last years (4) - Sevilla - couldnt even get out of the qualifiers for the CL. There is of course the battle amongst the 6 -7 basement teams as to who can stay up another year but its hardly worth getting excited about. The league has got about as competitive as Norway now in terms of title contenders, all those saturday and sunday night games on Sky will have a touch of meaninglessness about them now, shame they don't show a properly competitive league like the Bundesliga or France.

DeLorean
31/01/2011, 3:20 PM
If Barca drop points next you'd never know. They still have to play at the Bernabéu after all. Looking fairly ominous alright though.

PartySaint
03/02/2011, 12:43 PM
If Barca drop points next you'd never know. They still have to play at the Bernabéu after all. Looking fairly ominous alright though.

They can afford to lose 2 and Real would have to win all their games, I just don't see it happening, Copa Del Rey final between them now aswell, If they meet in the Champions league there could be alot of classico's in a short space of time

DeLorean
14/02/2011, 10:09 AM
If Barca drop points next you'd never know.

Sporting Gijon 1-1 Barcelona
Espanyol 0-1 Real Madrid

5 points in it now. Barca have a couple of tough matches coming up in the next few weeks also, away to both Valencia and Sevilla. It's not over yet!

DeLorean
06/02/2015, 2:18 PM
A demanding bunch (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/06/gareth-bale-booing-real-madrid-bernabeu)

The Fly
07/02/2015, 4:07 PM
Athletico just gave Real Madrid a spanking. 4-0.

TheBoss
07/02/2015, 5:45 PM
It looks like Real Madrid peaked too soon this season.

DeLorean
23/03/2015, 9:00 AM
So Barca move four clear of Real. The only positive for Real is that they have now won the head-to-head. I must say I think GD is a fairer system, as it takes into account all 38 games instead of just two. Both teams know now that it won't be decided on GD so there's no real incentive in that regard, a bit mad with ten games to play. Barca appear to have the more difficult immediate fixtures so there could be a twist or two yet.

Stuttgart88
09/05/2015, 10:03 PM
Real's 2-2 draw at home to Valencia was one of the games of the year. Quality stuff.

OwlsFan
09/05/2015, 10:10 PM
Real's 2-2 draw at home to Valencia was one of the games of the year. Quality stuff.

Blast. Saw Madrid missing a peno just before half time and forgot to go back to the game.

Stuttgart88
10/05/2015, 4:29 PM
Valencia's keeper had a great game. Both teams missed chances, Valencia missing three clear cut chances to put the game to bed. In those circumstances you just felt Madrid we're fated to snatch the win but they couldn't. Technically very accomplished stuff and high tempo. Brilliant game.

The Fly
17/05/2015, 7:05 PM
Barcelona are champions!

DeLorean
17/05/2015, 7:25 PM
Yeah and an unlikely treble for Luis Enrique looks an increasing possibility, with a home cup final to come against Bilbao. I'd like to see Juve beat them but it seems unlikely.

DeLorean
24/08/2015, 8:26 AM
Rafa B already working his magic at Real... a scoreless draw at Sporting Gigón.

OwlsFan
02/11/2015, 4:17 PM
Looks like David Moyes will be seeking a new job soon: http://www.the42.ie/deja-vu-david-moyes-lost-dressing-room-2421357-Nov2015/

OwlsFan
06/01/2016, 9:18 AM
You don't get much of a chance at Real Madrid. Top of the league or the chop! Not too many great players have made great managers so best of luck to Zidane. He'll need it.

DeLorean
06/01/2016, 11:17 AM
This was inevitable from day one really, the only question was whether he'd last until Christmas or not, so in that sense he was a success :)

The madness wasn't sacking him, it was appointing him in the first place. It compounded the absolute lunacy of sacking Ancelotti. Ancelotti was everything they should realistically desire... the most successful manager currently active in world football, joint record holder for most European Cups/Champions Leagues with Bob Paisley, plays an attractive brand of football, massages egos and doesn't fall out with players and represents the club in a dignified manner. He won the elusive 'La Decima' Champions League in his first season as well as Copa del Rey. He added the European Super Cup and World Club Cup in his second season, which also included a 22 game record winning streak.

His biggest crimes -finishing two points behind Barcelona in the league and losing by the odd goal in the Champions League semi final.

OwlsFan
06/01/2016, 4:55 PM
His biggest crimes -finishing two points behind Barcelona in the league and losing by the odd goal in the Champions League semi final.

They are mortal sins :)

DeLorean
06/01/2016, 10:43 PM
So it seems... although they gave Mourinho more leeway, sticking by him for a third season despite 'only' winning a La Liga and Copa del Rey in his first two years, in which they didn't make a CL final and even got tanked 5-0 by Barcelona at one point.

DeLorean
16/01/2016, 9:08 PM
Good article (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jan/16/atletico-madrid-diego-simeone-la-liga-barcelona-real-spain) about Atletico Madrid. Their consistency is incredible really.

OwlsFan
08/02/2016, 2:41 PM
Gary Neville: no win in 9 games. Will Sky be too embarrassed to take him back after that?

geysir
08/02/2016, 10:02 PM
Gary Neville: no win in 9 games. Will Sky be too embarrassed to take him back after that?
No, Neville will be back in a shot, punditry isn't about the real world. he would just seamlessly drift back into that fantasy world.

The Neville experience just exemplifies the huge gulf that exists between a distant analysis (no matter how good or entertaining) and the reality of dealing with the same situation, when you can't freeze frame reality, have a look at what's what, observe who should be doing something else and wondering why the player isn't doing what you told him he should be doing, or wondering why you can't effect a change to the player's decision process.